• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

they have a large elevated shooting platform to shoot off of..bring a mat its all sand..400-800 its rows of 5 swingers that range from 10in to a good size gong prob about 24in round..at 1000 its all man size targets and a few smaller gongs...there is also a huge barn door size piece of steel for .50 cal...when you get to the range they give you all the sizes and the distances on a piece of paper.

i will try to take some good pics of the range next time I head out there

Sounds great, DJ. I haven't been out in 3 or 4 weeks, and this must be new. Is it next to the other rifle ranges (100yds, 200yds), or is it someplace else? (By the Cowboy Action range comes to mind.)

just an fyi I went out to Pawnee Sportsman club today and they have a 1000yd range with steel from 400-1000 well set up range with rows of steel at each known distance. Kinda hard to see splash due to tall grass and lack of dirt but it was not bad. 20 bucks for the day and i had the range all to myself. ps the range is not on the website but its there

enjoy

Whoa, really!!?? Definitely going there this weekend if that's the case.

I went out last weekend. Agreed, almost impossible to see your misses. :( Still, first time shooting > 300 yards and first time shooting steel in a precision manner, and it was a blast! My fixed 6 power scope (yeah, I know, I should have got the 10) had a hard time with the smallest targets, but I hit 4 out of 5 at 400, 500, and 600 yards. I could only hit the largest two at 700. The 800 yard distance was not visible (they said they're having elevation issues). I did hit the 2nd largest @ 900 once, I'm assuming by luck. The 1000 yard distance eluded me.

Reading the wind ... yeah, more like pure f@#$ing guessing. There was no mirage that I could see (72 degrees and totally overcast, wind gusting 10-20mph and swirling) and the constant changes left me as blind as a child trying to hit a piñata with a stick.

I plan on returning to see how the Windham VEX can manage, hopefully on a calm day. Very happy I found this thread and got to go have that experience. Thanks guys!

I don't think the air is ever calm out there. I've been monitoring a weather station in the grasslands, (online), for about two months and it seems like the wind is always at least 5 mph.

That's what I thought, until I went last Sunday morning. No wind to speak of, just the mirage boiling like crazy. Usually they have Wyoming-like winds out there all day long. It's a nice place to shoot to 1000 yds., and it will become nicer once they fix the 800yds plates (and hopefully raise the 900yds plates a little more off the ground, so one can actually see them :))

Tried out the Pawnee Sportsmans long range facility today. The air was pretty darn calm - like a 0 to 3 mph breeze. Made for some nasty mirage conditions with sunny sky and temps into the low 90s. Like what has been mentioned, it's hard to see misses due to no back-stops. The 900 yd targets were visible (as visible as you could see with the mirage). Maybe they cut the grass or something. I'll be back there sometime - hopefully on a cooler day.

Planning on going out to Buena Vista tomorrow but would like to hit Pawnee. Next time anybody heads to Pawnee drop me a line and we can meet up.

Missing STEINER LRF

Got this message from RJ regarding CRC

All,

A close friend who is an Army Ranger Veteran had the Steiner Range finders he won at a match this year stolen right off the shooting line while he was down hanging a new target. This happened right in front of other shooters who didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

This happened last (Monday) night on the high power range.

Please ask around and if you find any information, please email me, call me, or call Joe at 1.856.981.1524.

This really pisses me off. We need to nip this in the bud. We have all left gear on the line while hanging a new target, using the restroom, or BS'ing with a buddy. If you are at the range and notice anything that just doesn't seem right (a truck with two guys that stop at the line and then drive off right away....) please write down a license plate number at least...

^ I got the email too. Do those things have a serial number? I'll keep an eye open at local ranges for it.

On another note, I want to get out and shoot! Planning on taking at least one day this weekend. Need to zero and work out a new scope. Either Chaffee, or that range in Pawnee (haven't been there yet), or set up our own steel somewhere in the foothills. I STILL have not found a good place to shoot in the foothills and it's frustrating. Every other range is dang near 100 miles or more from me.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to try and get out, let me know.

Anybody from the Front Range/Denver area know much about the hills down near Cheesman Reservoir? It's in Pike National Forest. From Google Earth, it looks like a moon scape and no houses around either. Seems they had a big fire down that way....lots of dead trees. Anyway, I am wondering if that might be a decent place to shoot?

I have shot Pike National, mostly off 285 by Jefferson. I think the Mile High Guys shot the reservoir and had a bit of hassle as there is an "old horse" trail the ranger said they were shooting over. But I don't know exactly where that was. They posted some photos on FB, but as long as you're good with the roads and trails, Pike is ok to shoot in.

Thanks Frank. I've been looking at maps of that area too and have been near there. I've been north of 285/Jefferson to climb Mt. Guyot, and south along Lost Park rd. years ago to do some camping. Is that the area you are referring too? I'm wondering about the Lost Park Rd area or Tarryall Rd., heading S/SE of 285....though the Cheesman res area is a bit closer. Looking SE of the lake between it and Sheep Nose peak.

Heading out tomorrow...probably Chaffee since I haven't had time to find anything on BLM/NF lands and don't want to waste my one day scouring the countryside.

On Monday, February 10th, the House State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee will consider HB 14-1151, sponsored by Representatives Chris Holbert and Lori Saine.
This bill will repeal the draconian magazine ban of 2013, which limits magazine capacity to 15 rounds.
Please make sure that you are there to show your support for the Second Amendment at the committee hearing. The hearing will be at the Colorado State Capitol (200 E. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80203), Old Supreme Court Chambers, at 1:30 p.m.
It's very important that gun owners turn out for the hearing in large numbers. If gun owners don't show up, it will only embolden the left.
While it may be a tough fight with the current makeup of the legislature, remember that the politicians aren't going to listen to us until we MAKE them listen.
Contact the committee and tell them to vote YES on HB 14-1151, and that government has no business telling Coloradans how many rounds they can have in their magazines to defend themselves and their families.
Rep. Su Ryden (Chair) - District 36
Phone: 303-866-2942
E-mail: [email protected]

Rep. Joe Salazar (Vice-Chair) - District 31
Phone: 303-866-2918

Rep. Kathleen Conti - District 38
Phone: 303-866-2953

Rep. Tim Dore - District 64
Phone: 303-866-2398

Rep. Mike Foote - District 12
Phone: 303-866-2920

Rep. Steve Humphrey - District 48
Phone: 303-866-2943

Rep. Jeanne Labuda - District 1
Phone: 303-866-2966

Rep. Jovan Melton - District 41
Phone: 303-866-2919

Rep. Dominick Moreno - District 32
Phone: 303-866-2964

Rep. Dan Nordberg - District 14
Phone: 303-866-2965

Rep. Angela Williams - District 7
Phone: 303-866-2909

Thank you for your loyal and steadfast defense of our Second Amendment rights.
For Freedom,
DWBsignature.jpg

Dudley Brown
Executive Director

For Colorado Springs area shooters the daily deal on the Gazette page is offering 50% off for two single day passes at Cheyenne Mountain/Ft. Carson. You have to use them by 6/04 is the only limit. Ranges out to 300 yards it says but I know they have a 1000 with some limitations so I'm guessing you can't use this for that. I have yet to go and check it so this will be just the ticket. Here is a link that gets me a free ticket if three people use it then you can post your own link and we can save some for ammo...
Colorado Springs Gazette

Headed to CRC tomorrow. High power range with some brand new steel that needs some dings. They are allowing steel in the 2 far right positions now (up against the berm).

You guys need to check out the Trigger Time Gun Club monthly match. $100 bucks with percentages paid out to the top 3 shooters. I've done it twice and its an all day event. Targets out to 1150 and its very field match style.

They are trying to get the word out and get people to try it out. They are doing the next one on May 10th, it is a good practice run for the Hide Cup and takes place on the same property if you want to try and get a feel for the property.

If interested email Zach at [email protected] so they know how many to expect. I highly recommend it for experience especially if you are new to competition and plan on shooting the Cup. The property is maybe a 20 minute drive north of Fort Morgan off I76.

Rich

I was planning on shooting the Trigger Time match but that's pretty spendy for a 1 day monthly match and no prize table. I'm sure I'll get out there one time but can't justify $100 per month. Too bad, sounds like a great venue. Will see it at the Hide Cup!

I would think they would get more takers if they got rid of the cash pay out to top three and made the price more like $10 or $20. Most people don't shoot this sport for a cash payout.

I was planning on shooting the Trigger Time match but that's pretty spendy for a 1 day monthly match and no prize table. I'm sure I'll get out there one time but can't justify $100 per month. Too bad, sounds like a great venue. Will see it at the Hide Cup!

I would think they would get more takers if they got rid of the cash pay out to top three and made the price more like $10 or $20. Most people don't shoot this sport for a cash payout.

+1
+1
+1

Its not as spendy as it sounds. If you go to a two or three day match you are spending as much per day, easily. Its not 30 bucks to enter, but its also not a 3 hour and done match. Its very Hide Cup'ish as in the last two years hiking around to different stages and engaging the targets, all of which are steel. I don't plan to shoot it EVERY month either, my schedule won't allow it, but its a pretty well put together set up for a monthly match shooting to distance. The only other monthly matches I'm aware of are the prairie dog types which are fun but seem to cap out around 500-600 yards and its all from your stomach. This is a nice mix of positions and ranges out to and including 1150 yards. If there's a tactical monthly match that's doing that already, please tell me where it is because I'd like to go. They're also very open to suggestions.

So for example, if the payout doesn't sound so slick, you can always suggest they take the equivalent value and put it towards some schwag to pick shooters by number or something. Guys on this site spend 1000+ on a stock, anywhere from 400-1400 for an action, 600 for a match barrel and smith work, 100 for a trigger, thousands on glass...but you're balking at 100 bucks for a full day of shooting in natural terrain? They spend a pretty penny to lease the property and I've been twice, they aren't making money on the matches. They would be tickled pink if they could even pay for a month's worth of the property dues though and if people don't support matches like this, they're going to go away. Prize table? You say most people don't shoot this sport for the payout, but for the experience, but the gripe you have is a prize table? Prizes come from the match sponsors, not the entry fees. Ask Frank, if they even break even on a match its rare after you factor in the costs.

Try it out and see. Its a lot of match for the price and like anything in this sport, you get what you pay for. If you like tactical prairie dog matches that's fine, nothing wrong with it, but I like changing wind conditions, tactical targets and hostage stages, varied positions, the works. I'm quite certain if they start getting more robust groups of people entering they will do something to kick back some of the take to the guys out shooting the match. I've already sent some suggestions in after the first time I went, you've given me a good idea Verdugo so I'm going to send along another. Rather than paying out the top three, spread the cash around in some random prizes and pick names from a hat.

Rich

The way they see it, from Denver it's a 3-4 hour drive to hit Raton, most spend the night, need food, then that 4 hour ride home. This event is 1 hour away, and you're there and back the same day. They see savings over that trip.

Plus Trigger Time stepped up and bought out the farmer's lease so we are not shooting around cows. It's a big expensive for them as the land owner is in it for the money. ( He's a banker)

with the what we are doing with the Cup, the goal is to build up the match to get better, and ever changing so there will be options. Making it a well worthwhile match, with plenty of distances, changes and options to keep guys coming back. The money goes straight into the cost of the land. They are not doing it for the profit. Sure I wish they started out at $50 but when they took over the Farmer's lease the expense jumped.

As as noted you have a great target package, that is getting better, you have an easier ride, no hotel, and it's expandable. It's not gonna be like shooting the same exact thing month after month, year after year.

+1 on no drive to Raton for Metro Denver residents, and what LL said about gas/food/hotel cost savings.

Mike K. puts on a great match there, but it's nice to have something closer.

And, TTGC is also talking about investing in a moving target unit: I think Paul mentioned $5-10K+?

No movers yet at any of the regular local CO/NM shooting matches, so this could be a good addition to an already good new match.

I can see both you and Frank's points, it really does sound like a fun match, I prefer this style over tactical belly laying! The only other field match somewhat close is the NRA Whittington monthly one, I haven't made it to that one, so this is a great alternative.

My point was I would rather go without swag or cash payout, random or not, pay $50 per and have a great monthly match. If that doesn't work with their model and land commitments then so be it, I will hit one or two a year. Sounds like it would be a great match to warm up for the Cup, I might try to make this next one.

To your point it's BECAUSE everything gear related is so spendy that it's nice to have a reasonable monthly match. I have commitments on Sundays, so a local Saturday match that's not prairie dogs or requiring a hotel stay is awesome. I got spoiled by our field matches in Idaho I guess, where land is cheaper, lot's of mountains and deserts and a smaller population. I understand anything close to the Denver Metro area is tougher. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Crap, I'm out of town on the 10th. I am going to email my buddies who are shooting the Cup as their first comp, as this one would be a great break-in for them. They have also considered the train-up if that's happening before the match.

What is the round count/start time etc?

Last edited:
Round count is 52, start time is 9:00. I would like to see it start a bit earlier.
shot it twice now, hasn't cost me a dime!
Tough match to read wind, but fun.

I talked with Paul about this a bit after the match. I'm not going to say what hes paying for the land but its not cheap. He said he has other ventures that make him his money, hes doing the matches because he loves shooting and wants to have something high class that's local for the Colorado guys. He's open to any suggestions or criticism you have, super good dude. I believe he would try to make it more manageable in price but we have to step up and help the guy build a following that can pay the bill. If he gets a consistent 30-40 guys showing up each month that gives him more freedom to mess with the entry fee and prizes and what not. Right now the guy is just trying not to lose his ass every month with what the place costs. He said they could make it cheaper by allowing cattle on the land, but then you have all the hassle that comes with livestock wandering around in your field of fire and the delays to the match when somebody has to go out and shoo them away.

Frank made a couple points I couldn't put in words. This is more of a Raton quality match than the local prairie dog stuff. There's no significant travel or lodging involved and plenty of room to expand and vary the course. Like I said, if we don't support it, then its going to go away. I realize not everybody can go every month, but tell your friends about it, because two people going every other month is still 1 extra body every time they set up the match. Its not like its cheap for me to attend, I work weekend, about 44 out of every 52 in a year. To have the time off and not take a hit on my check I have to burn saved time. That time has a value, I have to burn the better part of $300 bucks worth of time to have the day off and go to the match. So it really winds up costing me closer to $400 to shoot for the day and I'm still enjoying it.

Try it out and you will see what I'm talking about. I think it would be great practice for guys planning to make the Hide Cup their first match and as usual everybody is super helpful to newer shooters.

The later start time was for a reason, they take a lot of the steel down at the end, so they have to show up early and set it up.

I believe he has a solution to that now and with more light, warmer weather, you'll see it drop back down to 8AM or something.

They drove out ahead of time and set it up, then at the end took everything down.

Now that it's warming up, hopefully more will attend, it being successful will certainly sway the way they manage it.

I sent an email to my SH cup squad, hopefully they can make it. Now that I have a complete "loaner rifle" set up I can bring others to this kind of thing to let them try it out (to get hooked.)

Is there a website for info about the Trigger Time Match? I looked on their site and didn't see anything. Or is there a thread here for the match? This is the first I've heard of the match. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also find this to be too expensive. I can understand how the costs add up, but for a newbie to "check it out" with no hopes of being in the top 3 payout slots, it's cost-prohibitive.

I'm with Frank on the cost... I likely will not attend a Raton match because of the drive and cost in time from Loveland, but I'm happy to pay $100 to shoot a good one day match that save me a day of my life from being wasted traveling.

I looked on the T3main.com site and can't find any reference to it and they have so many FB posts I can't sort out one that talks about the match so I emailed Zach. If he send me any specifics I'll post them here.

Last edited:
Awesome to have something close to Denver! Sucks that I'm broke! Every bit of money I can scrape together for this hobby goes toward being able to pull the trigger, period, let alone paying to do so. (which is why I've yet to participate in a match) I wish them the best of luck and hopefully one day I'll be able to swing it. Looks like an awesome place to shoot!

I also find this to be too expensive. I can understand how the costs add up, but for a newbie to "check it out" with no hopes of being in the top 3 payout slots, it's cost-prohibitive.

That's only if you view a competition in terms of winning a prize. If you put value on the experience you gain and the fun you have, its not quite as big a leap.

Edited to add Match Details...

Good afternoon chaps,

Sorry I missed the two week reminder window but I have been “off grid” for a couple weeks. It looks like we may have a beautiful weekend for shooting on the 12th so let me know if you plan to attend. The entry fee has been bumped down to an even $100 with payouts explained in the details below.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any other info.

Thanks and have a great weekend,

Zach

DETAILS:
-Entry Fee - $100
-Ten stations
-Walking course in natural terrain
-Target Engagements: 52
-Points Possible: 55
-Round Count: 53 (plus sight in rounds)
-Caliber Restrictions: .30 cal max, 3,200FPS max
-Variety of shooting positions
-Target ranges: 300 to 800 yards with one at over 1,000 (all known distance)
-Sight in: 300, 400, 500, 600 and 700 yards

Latitude: 40°30'34.02"N
Longitude: 103°57'43.00"W

SCHEDULE:
08:00AM – 08:20AM SHOOTER SIGN IN
08:20AM – 08:30AM MATCH/SAFETY BRIEF
08:30AM – 09:00AM SIGHT IN
09:00AM – MATCH BEGINS

WHAT TO BRING:
-Precision Rifle
-Ammo
-Eye and ear protection
-Clothing suited for the expected conditions
-Pack
-Sling/Scabbord Pack
-Drinks/Snacks
-Binos/Spotting Scope
-Shooting mat
-Sunscreen

PAYOUT:
-1st Place - 10% of intake (ex: 20 shooters = $200.00)
-2nd Place - 7.5% of intake (ex: 20 shooters = $150.00)
-3rd Place - 5% of intake (ex: 20 shooters = $100.00)

We will be away from our vehicles for the duration of the match so bring whatever you might need for the day. I know there will be a variety of match experience out here and you seasoned guys know what to carry and what you need. For the guys that have questions please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email or give me a call.

Zach Yarrow ([email protected])
Trigger Time Gun Club

Last edited:
That's only if you view a competition in terms of winning a prize. If you put value on the experience you gain and the fun you have, its not quite as big a leap.

True. But, that's also coming from those of us who have scraped together spare change to buy the best budget rifle/scope combo we can find, and would not normally ever pay $100/day for basically range fees.

But it's tempting. Very tempting. I'd love to shoot with others who also love to shoot, and I love to compete ... lol, I might talk myself into it yet.

If we take Zack's example:

PAYOUT:
-1st Place - 10% of intake (ex: 20 shooters = $200.00)
-2nd Place - 7.5% of intake (ex: 20 shooters = $150.00)
-3rd Place - 5% of intake (ex: 20 shooters = $100.00)

.... and cut out the prize money, the entry fee could drop down to about $75

Does Trigger Time have a mile range, or anywhere else for that matter? I plan on hitting the open house to see what they are all about.

In case anyone missed it, Trigger Time Gun Club will be hosting an Open House all day tomorrow, (Saturday April 19th)

10275600_10152319175699351_4497501656579790614_o.jpg

I will be there to talk about optics, as well there is a lot of things,

1534450_10152319754469351_5746628421780380404_n.jpg

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152317744164351&set=a.10150332655689351.364082.279038874350&type=1" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152317744164351&set=a.10150332655689351.364082.279038874350&type=1">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/TriggerTimeGunClub">Trigger Time Gun Club</a>.</div></div>

^^ I just got back from this. What a great range, store, staff etc.! Lots of vendors and some great free swag too. Magpul is giving away P-mags and I picked up a SH patch and the Day One DVD free too. Raffle going on as well. Get out there if you're in the area and you haven't yet!

Last edited: