• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Colt Govt 1911 circa 1939, value? Pictures Added

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
My stepdad recently picked up a colt 1911 govt model circa 1939 with what appears to be a factory .22LR conversion for it. It also came with a leather holster as well. Curious as to what the price range for these firearms goes for? He picked it up for $100 at a garage sale.

The barrel is stamped Colt 45 Auto Match grade. I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them off of my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
More

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Alright those are the photos that I have, if any detailed pictures are needed then let me know and I will do what I can. I do know the pistol is in firing condition and according to my step dad is accurate as well. Not sure as to the condition of the .22LR conversion. That hasnt been shot to my knowledge in the last 60 years.

Attachments

• IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Seriously, stop shooting it. The lettering is crisp and clear, the bluing looks great, and there's one on GB without the .22 kit for $1699. It's more a piece of history than a shooter.

1911fan

Is the serial c100455? Is so according to my book it's a 1911 commercial these where made 1912-1925 up through serial #c138532. Just guessing at the price $1200-1800. It's alittle higher than the blue books but colt guys should pay up for it

The conversion kit looks like it has adjustable sights that would put it 1947-1954. The condition of the box make a huge difference in value on eBay these go from 350-750 depending condition

A1AE4E38-8528-461C-A69D-5E597988AB48-1524-00000521486FC640_zps04622397.jpg

Thats not a holster. I think its a Jap bayonet frog.

Really a $100, garage sale? All I see at garage sales around here are fuzzy, fake fur elvis blankets for that kind of money.

Well you paid the asking price so the seller is happy if not knowledgeable.

I don't know what 1911 Fan is seeing, but I am seeing some serious finish issues (especially top right side of slide) that knocks it out of collector status. That part is a shame because the rest of the gun appears pretty decent. I expect it laid in moisture somewhere for a while. The conversion unit has a bit of freckling as well, but the fact the box is in good shape helps some. I am digging the shoulder rig. Who is the maker?

All in all I think the whole kit is worth maybe $1500+ with the finish issues. Trouble is no 1911 collector will touch it unless it was rare enough to warrant the expense of a Turnbull restoration.

I think it is a great shooter and I would shoot the piss out of it if it were mine.

Thanks for the quick replies.

The serial number is C190465 on the pistol (Cant find one on the .22LR kit) which puts it at 1939 for commercial manufacture. I have no clue on that holster though as far as manufacture, I'll dig it out again here tonight when I get home.

Step-dad had an offer at a local shop for $4000. Now it just comes down to does he want to sell it or keep it.

I think I would probably sell at that price or see what Turnbull would charge to fix it.

You date the conversion unit based off the markings on the side of the slide. I would hazard a guess it is from about the same time period.

Ask him if he wants to double his investment. I'll give him $200 for it.

The damage to the slide would preclude it from being bought as a piece for an advanced collector. By that I mean it would not be part of his collection not that he would not buy it as inventory. Those guys buy guns all the time to be used for trade or parts. The moment they see an auction piece for significantly under what they perceive as the value they will bid. The world of 1911s has been through the roof for the last few years. Get online and take a look at the cost of arsenal, refinished, non-matching, 30% percent 1911s. In my experience you can not touch one of these guns, in the under 60% category, for the numbers indicated in the BB.

Your step-dad's find is terrific for the beginning to intermediate collector. Most of the gun has very high levels of original finish and is an education in itself. It will teach a guy what the level of blue, direction an level of polish, trigger checkering, hammer finish, slide markings, etc. are supposed to be. As a guy gets deeper into collecting, this is the kind of knowledge that prevents you from making huge mistakes. The question becomes would you prefer a gun with that is around the low to mid 90% range for 95% of its finish or would you prefer a gun that is in the 80% range for all of it's finish? Get a letter from Colt Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Catalog > Archive Services. I am no Colt expert, but if the match barrel was part of the original build it may have been a special order gun. The type of holster and it's obvious level of use might indicate the gun was owned by someone in LE. You need more info. Get a Colt letter and please let us know what it says.

Last edited:
As soon as offer of $4000 hit the table, pistol would have changed hands right then! Flip it and move on.

Tad late of an update but it looks like he is going to contact Colt and try and obtain an archive letter from them for the pistol. I think he's fairly set on keeping the pistol just as a piece of history.