• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comcast cable vs DISH Network?

Seuss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2001
York, PA USA mostly
Switched from DISH to Comcast cable a few years ago, every time it rained the satellite took a crap. But my cable bill keeps climbing....and climbing.
DISH is offering a sweet deal to come back, would save me ~$750 in the first year and ~$20 per month after. Free HD for life.
Has DISH improved?
Should I make the change? What say you?
Thanks guys.

Re: Comcast cable vs DISH Network

I feel your pain on the Comcast skyrocketing bill problem!! It is getting pretty F#$%&*@ ridiculous to put it mildly. Panty 6 and I have our cable/HD/phone/Internet service bundled through them and our bill has increased approx. 25% in the last 16mo all while the services/value has stagnated or, in some respects, declined.

We have been considering options from Dish Network/DirectTV, swicthing to Verizon, reducing service levels from Comcast, etc., but haven't made a move yet. Personally, I want rid of the damn phone service because the only calls we get on the home line are from the scum-of-the-earth telemarketers, political campaign whores, and other please-give-us-money calls. Panty 6 thinks we need it "for emergencies" despite having 3 cell phones in the house so I may lose that battle.

My next move is to call Comcast and tear into one of their CS reps to see what, if anything, they are willing to do to keep a long-time customer in their good graces. I mean seriously...a new customer can get everything I have from Comcast (actually more) for 12mos for approx. 1/2 what it costs me!! One way or another...something has got to give and soon!

I put myself on a list to be notified when AT&T U-Verse was available here and jumped on it as soon as it was. One of the more pleasurable phone calls I've ever made was telling Comcast to fuck off.

Comcast is one of the shittiest companies I've ever dealt with.I'll watch my microwave pop corn before I ever gave them another penny.

with dish you can order outdoor channel and sportsman channel a la carte. each one is 3 bucks/month.

+1 for At&T U-Verse. I have been waiting for it to be available in my area for a while. I got to see it when we installed a new Artel DL4000 unit to provide their head end with the signal from the station I work at. Really cool stuff.

HD programming for the most part has improved for cable and satellite companies but keep in mind, the best way to get a HD signal is from an uncompressed over the air (OTA) signal. Yes, a TV antenna will provide a true HD picture (provided the station transmits in HD). This only helps for local stations.

Most cable and sat. companies compress the signal. It does not not matter what your Tv says the signal is. That info is controlled by the broadcasting stations PSIP. One can make a 720p signal "trick" your TV into thinking it is a 1080p signal by tweaking the PSIP info.

I work in master control at a TV station and no, I don't work for AT&T.

Having said all of that, I am still waiting for U-Verse.

Cocks and Verizon are the only two choices aound this area and dish network and direct tv for dih stuff. cocks has a thing with the county were they give back a % of what they take in, this is after taxes. No matter who you get a 1 hour show will only be 25 min or so with the rest in commericiales. What can one do?

Commicast can suck on my hemroids! I currently have DISH, but am getting UVerse in ab out 2weeks. It's going to be cheaper month to month and I'll get more channels. Plus, I can wathc T.V. on cloudy days!

If you just call Comcast when your bill goes up and say your going to drop them they will give you the new customer deal. I've done it several times and it's always worked for me. The thought of a two year Dish contract made me stay away from them bad enough I have to do it for my cell phone.

IMHO both Dish and Direct are notable upgrades to cable service. The tech is simply better. It doesn't matter which one you pick, a well installed satellite dish kills cable.