• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Considering a new thermal scope

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I’ve had my pulsar trail XP50 for 5 or 6 years now without any wandering zero issues or anything like that. In all honesty it does everything I need it to do but I’m considering getting something new mainly for a warranty and LRF would be nice too. I live in PA and use it for coyote hunting most of which is closer range but we do setup in some big open fields so 400+ can happen.

My buddy just got a Rico RH35 for the 3k price they’re currently at and it seems like a great scope but I only looked through it briefly. I also like that LRF can be added so say $3800 for that unit with LRF. I don’t want to downgrade from my pulsar but it’s an old design so I’d think even both being 640 units the Rico should have a better image? There’s also the Rico GH50R for around $5500 and the super yoter LRF for around 5k. I don’t mind spending good money on good shit but I’m a bargain shopper too. What’s a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade over the RH35 and what would I need to spend for that substantial improvement? Thanks guys.

Anything Nvision will provide the performance you desire….will cost new in the mid $6k up to mid $9k pending features….higher end of that range if LRF. Check the buy, sell, and trade here for used units to save some $$$….Nvision has a great transferable warranty.

There’s some halo LRFs in the px that seem to have a hard time moving. Seems small but my buddies Rico and my step dads new pulsar have reticle color options other than black and white which I really like. Doesn’t look like it in the videos but do the halos have that option? I really like the a green reticle.

I suspect the Bering Super Yoder might be a good fit. I don’t have any experience with them, but they are a popular unit that’s said to be a good value.

Reactions: Jnull
There’s some halo LRFs in the px that seem to have a hard time moving. Seems small but my buddies Rico and my step dads new pulsar have reticle color options other than black and white which I really like. Doesn’t look like it in the videos but do the halos have that option? I really like the a green reticle.
Negative on the colored reticle….it does switch from black to white pending the background and your settings. FWIW….I have both the Rico 35 and 50 and they are good scopes…..but my primary pig rifle has a Nvision Nox 35.

Negative on the colored reticle….it does switch from black to white pending the background and your settings. FWIW….I have both the Rico 35 and 50 and they are good scopes…..but my primary pig rifle has a Nvision Nox 35.

I did see that in the videos it’s a handy feature.

What do you like about the nox over the Rico’s?

I recently bought/returned a pulsar trail XP38 due to it not having more than black and white hot. My new scope has all the colors and I definitely prefer white or black. The others to me are just fun to play with but that’s about it. I’ll be buying a n-vision here soon enough

I recently bought/returned a pulsar trail XP38 due to it not having more than black and white hot. My new scope has all the colors and I definitely prefer white or black. The others to me are just fun to play with but that’s about it. I’ll be buying a n-vision here soon enough

I’m not talking about color palettes but the reticle itself, my trail xp50 only has black and white hot and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything even after playing with all the different color palettes on my step dads pulsar. The colored reticle with white or black hot is something I really like tho.

I did see that in the videos it’s a handy feature.

What do you like about the nox over the Rico’s?
The BAE core provides a much crisper image. I can pick out the pigs in heavy cover better than my buds in the Iray or Pulsars. And it is much lighter and more compact than the Iray. Important for me as we stalk right up to the pigs over distance…..I also run a titanium suppressor and an sbr to keep the weight down. The Nox also has the simple circle with a dot reticle which for me is the best for drawing in my eye and shooting running pigs. The Iray has something similar but it is a cross in the center and the circle is not as large….just does not draw in my eye the same. The Nox also fires right up with almost no delay. It takes a few seconds for the Iray. I rarely turn my scope on until it is shooting time….we use a drone to find them.

The Iray does have recording which is nice. I have used it extensively mainly for post hunt analysis of how we are shooting. From video learned on the .308 I was dropping the barrel down on the follow up shots which helped me correct my shooting…..also has helped me calculate how to better lead the running pigs on follow up shots. The auto NUC is nice. But the Nox image stays pretty clear after the initial startup so that is not that big of an issue to occasionally NUC it.

Overall the Iray is very user friendly for the uninitiated. My 35 is on the guest gun and I can pretty much hand it to someone and once they adjust the focus for their eye and terrain do not have to do anything else. Someone not familiar with thermal will have a learning curve on the Nox.

Reactions: Kino
I hunt coyotes with an Nvision Halo LR and scan with dual Iray MH25s on a helmet.

Reactions: Jnull
The BAE core provides a much crisper image. I can pick out the pigs in heavy cover better than my buds in the Iray or Pulsars. And it is much lighter and more compact than the Iray. Important for me as we stalk right up to the pigs over distance…..I also run a titanium suppressor and an sbr to keep the weight down. The Nox also has the simple circle with a dot reticle which for me is the best for drawing in my eye and shooting running pigs. The Iray has something similar but it is a cross in the center and the circle is not as large….just does not draw in my eye the same. The Nox also fires right up with almost no delay. It takes a few seconds for the Iray. I rarely turn my scope on until it is shooting time….we use a drone to find them.

The Iray does have recording which is nice. I have used it extensively mainly for post hunt analysis of how we are shooting. From video learned on the .308 I was dropping the barrel down on the follow up shots which helped me correct my shooting…..also has helped me calculate how to better lead the running pigs on follow up shots. The auto NUC is nice. But the Nox image stays pretty clear after the initial startup so that is not that big of an issue to occasionally NUC it.

Overall the Iray is very user friendly for the uninitiated. My 35 is on the guest gun and I can pretty much hand it to someone and once they adjust the focus for their eye and terrain do not have to do anything else. Someone not familiar with thermal will have a learning curve on the Nox.

Thanks for the info man I appreciate it.

I currently have an NVision XRF. It's new for me and I have yet to really get out and hunt with it, but I know it's NICE!!

I used to have an Iray Bolt TH50 and it was awesome, but I'm a LRF kinda guy. If you decide you don't really need the LRF, I would highly recommend the Iray Bolt.

Reactions: BgBmBoo
I currently have an NVision XRF. It's new for me and I have yet to really get out and hunt with it, but I know it's NICE!!

I used to have an Iray Bolt TH50 and it was awesome, but I'm a LRF kinda guy. If you decide you don't really need the LRF, I would highly recommend the Iray Bolt.
I actually came across the bolt TH50C V2 last night, V2 supposedly has LRF coming once it’s US approved.

Reactions: MuleyTime
While a scanner would be nice I’ve never felt like I needed one. We just scan with our rifles in tripods.

I have a scanner with the LRF in it. Seems you spend more time on the scanner than the scope so it served like the way to go.

Everyone's situation is different.
This is a solid option for sure, and I went this way when I had the Bolt. The issue for me was that the scanner I had with LRF was a let down in the image quality department. So I went the other way and sold my Bolt and scanner, and got a Thermion PRO with LRF, and a Helion Pro for scanning. The Thermion is good, but I think I liked the Bolt better (minus rangefinder).

This is a solid option for sure, and I went this way when I had the Bolt. The issue for me was that the scanner I had with LRF was a let down in the image quality department. So I went the other way and sold my Bolt and scanner, and got a Thermion PRO with LRF, and a Helion Pro for scanning. The Thermion is good, but I think I liked the Bolt better (minus rangefinder).
The bolt has a nice picture for sure.

I have used many of the brands and products talked about here with the exception of iRay. I do use Bering thermals which have an iRay sensor but assembled and serviced in the US. I have recently completed an evaluation of 5 different LRF thermals including the Nvision XRF, Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50, the new Super Yoter 50 LRF, and a couple of PARD LRF units. They all have their pluses and minuses, so it really depends on the needs of the user which is the best fit. Feel free to PM me, and I can provide more details on all of these units and more. I have also spent time behind the new Armasight units.

As for LRFs on scanners, that is fine if objects are static, or you have someone assigned as a spotter. For me, the objects I hunt move, so I want the LRF on the gun. Also, I don't mind a little extra weight on the gun, but I don't usually want it on the scanner.

Per the comments on scanning with a gun, it depends. However, for calling coyotes, if someone took away my thermal scanner, I would quit nighttime coyote hunting. It is that crucial to my success, but like I have said, everyone's needs are different.

As for color backgrounds and reticles, I also am a person that doesn't really care that much about the backgrounds. Some will say a sepia type background is easier on their eyes. Some users really like the outdoor alert type palette which shows some yellow and reds for the hottest colors, but I don't love color backgrounds personally. As some of stated, to me the best part of color is the ability to have a color reticle. I typically use red or green. They really pop on both black-hot and white-hot backgrounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
I have used many of the brands and products talked about here with the exception of iRay. I do use Bering thermals which have an iRay sensor but assembled and serviced in the US. I have recently completed an evaluation of 5 different LRF thermals including the Nvision XRF, Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50, the new Super Yoter 50 LRF, and a couple of PARD LRF units. They all have their pluses and minuses, so it really depends on the needs of the user which is the best fit. Feel free to PM me, and I can provide more details on all of these units and more. I have also spent time behind the new Armasight units.

As for LRFs on scanners, that is fine if objects are static, or you have someone assigned as a spotter. For me, the objects I hunt move, so I want the LRF on the gun. Also, I don't mind a little extra weight on the gun, but I don't usually want it on the scanner.

Per the comments on scanning with a gun, it depends. However, for calling coyotes, if someone took away my thermal scanner, I would quit nighttime coyote hunting. It is that crucial to my success, but like I have said, everyone's needs are different.

As for color backgrounds and reticles, I also am a person that doesn't really care that much about the backgrounds. Some will say a sepia type background is easier on their eyes. Some users really like the outdoor alert type palette which shows some yellow and reds for the hottest colors, but I don't love color backgrounds personally. As some of stated, to me the best part of color is the ability to have a color reticle. I typically use red or green. They really pop on both black-hot and white-hot backgrounds.

Too bad you don’t mess with iray products, the Bolt V2 is at the top of my list. I never even considered lrf in a scanner as animals move so that wouldn’t do me any good but a scanner with a decent image would be nice.

I don’t need color backgrounds but I really do want color choices for a reticle, green on the ones I’ve used is amazing and stands out so much better than black or white. There’s some great priced halo LRFs in the PX but I think the lack of colored reticles will keep me away from them.

Reactions: calib
I use the Bolt V2 and a MH25/PVS14 on a helmet for a scanner. I have set up my rifle and ammo for a point blank zero out to 320 yards. So anything 320 and in, I'm within a 3" window. I find that great for coyotes. No real need for a LRF when I do that. I do have my PVS14 available to remove and mount behind a normal rangefinder if I think I need to go out past my rifles point blank range. When the LRF becomes available for the Bolt I will probably get one of those but for now the point blank zero is my best solution. I started just scanning with the rifle but that is a lot of movement that seemed unnecessary in big open fields. If your just scanning about a 45-60 degree field of view then it wouldn't be so bad.

Too bad you don’t mess with iray products, the Bolt V2 is at the top of my list. I never even considered lrf in a scanner as animals move so that wouldn’t do me any good but a scanner with a decent image would be nice.

I don’t need color backgrounds but I really do want color choices for a reticle, green on the ones I’ve used is amazing and stands out so much better than black or white. There’s some great priced halo LRFs in the PX but I think the lack of colored reticles will keep me away from them.
The Halo scopes have the adaptive color setting for the reticle, so it automatically turn the opposite color of the palette your in.
I/E- White hot, the reticle turns black when your on target.
You also don't need to focus Halo scopes.
There are other features and adjustment's, but once I dialed it, I don't mess with them anymore.
Go on their website and click on the user manual link to see what they offer.
Made in the USA too.
Here's a video showing the adaptive reticle.

Yea I’ve already watched a few videos on them. The auto focus is cool but not something i feel is a must. I feel indifferent about the adaptive reticle, I’d much prefer a colored one. I think I saw in one of the videos I watched that you can’t turn that feature off either.

I went with the iRay Rico Mk1 as that was the upper end of my budget at the time. I’m definitely happy with the purchase and tend to use the green reticle more than any others.

I have the LRF which has been great since I hunt a lot of open areas. I would prefer to have an integrated LRF like the Nvision though.

I have the LRF which has been great since I hunt a lot of open areas. I would prefer to have an integrated LRF like the Nvision though.

The NVision XRF, Pulsar Thermion 2 XG50, and Bering Optics Super Yoter 50 LRFs all have integrated LRF units.

Yea I’ve already watched a few videos on them. The auto focus is cool but not something i feel is a must. I feel indifferent about the adaptive reticle, I’d much prefer a colored one. I think I saw in one of the videos I watched that you can’t turn that feature off either.
The Nvision XRF adaptive reticle can be turned off, but I also prefer color as you mentioned. Auto-focus is cool as long as the scope is focused on the right object.

The Nvision XRF adaptive reticle can be turned off, but I also prefer color as you mentioned. Auto-focus is cool as long as the scope is focused on the right object.
I've never had an issue with the Auto focus unless the target was within 20 yards, but I didn't buy the scope for short range shooting.
So if your doing short range work, the Halo scopes aren't for you.
I also like but don't prefer the color reticle options of my Adder and previous Hogster scope.
I find that they get lost in the target because their not bright enough and you have to make the scope picture darker to make them stick out.
My buddy settled on a Bolt TH50 V2 scope because of the HD display resolution, 18650 battery, 3.5x base mag and the soon to be released LRF.

SJC

Reactions: waspocrew and Kino
Permanent focus is a great feature that only the more expensive, and much better quality US scopes have figured out.

I'll take an Nvision that is slightly out of focus at 20 yards and under (but still usable) and AMAZING from 25yd to infinity VS something I have to constantly focus at all ranges !! The Halo is meant for longer range stuff and I'm killing the coyotes way before it gets 25 yards. If I wanted something that manually focused for short range to medium my first choice would be something with a lower base mag like 2x and a wider FOV. Thats where the NOX 35 is perfectly suited and a much better choice.

I've owned multiple Berings and I always found myself struggling to really see the reticle in green or red, seems like it was always too dim to me.

I feel indifferent about the adaptive reticle, I’d much prefer a colored one. I think I saw in one of the videos I watched that you can’t turn that feature off either.
If you're trying to shoot beyond a few hundred yds, the adaptive reticle is a serious handicap. Anything more than a .5 mil hold and it switches colors and is lost on the target. It can be turned off, but then your only color option is a black on black hot or white on white hot and you're right back to loosing it on the target.

If you're trying to shoot beyond a few hundred yds, the adaptive reticle is a serious handicap. Anything more than a .5 mil hold and it switches colors and is lost on the target. It can be turned off, but then your only color option is a black on black hot or white on white hot and you're right back to loosing it on the target.

Good info and thanks for the demo. Being a new XRF guy, I see your point, but I doubt anyone is going to classify that as a SERIOUS handicap. But who knows, maybe after using it this year, I'll come back and agree with you.

DEFINITELY NOT a serious handicap!! My experience with the Halo XRF has been outstanding.

Here's 4 kills over 400 yards, ZERO issue of making the shot! Last year was my first year running an Nvision Halo XRF, 208 coyotes that I personally killed caused me to buy another so I have second for a loaner!

Reactions: MuleyTime