• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Contact info: Van Dyke Rifle Designs

Jreynolds976

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
San Clemente, Ca
New Guy here. I hope this is the correct forum to post this.

Does anyone here know how to get ahold of John or Bill Van Dyke of Van Dyke Rifle Designs? I am seriously considering legal action against Van Dyke Rifle Designs and would really like to talk to either John or Bill before I start this process.

The contact on Van Dyke Rifle Design's web page is useless. The phone never gets answered and will no longer take messages. The email address is s dud and bounces back emails automatically.

I have found two regular postal address and will mail letters to each with my terms of settlement but I have a feeling they will go unanswered.

If somebody knows somebody who knows somebody could you please PM me so I can try to resolve this matter without involving the legal professionals?

Re: Contact info: Van Dyke Rifle Designs

There was talk the other day of several issues at Van Dyke Rifles. Seems that others were having the same problem you’re having. If they have your rifle, one that you've previously gone through the NICS check and 4473 on and money, I'd send a certified letter demanding the return of all. After 10-15 days I'd call Van Dykes local PD and file the report. If you get no satisfaction there, ATF would be my next step. I'd outline this in the letter I send them. Hopefully you kept shipping info, canceled checks etc.

Mongo- You are not alone. I have been trying to contact someone in the area around John just to be sure he is still there as I plan on flying out there in the next couple week. He has had one of my rifles for a re-barrel for almost 2 years. He built me two great rifles but now it appears he is not making an attempt to make thing right with his customers. I know all about his personal problems but he still has very large responsibilities. Where are you located (fill in your profile) I will let you know what I find out when I fly out there

I am in Orange County, Ca. I was considering flying out myself.

I too have heard about John's personal problems and am very sympathetic to his plight, but I have to look out for my personal interest now and it looks like it is not in doing business with Van Dyke Rifle Designs.

I will be discussing this matter with a legal team to determine if this should be regarded as a criminal or civil matter. In either event if I cannot get ahold of John or Bill in the next week I believe I will be taking a little trip out to Ks and file the appropriate documents at the local courthouse to compel John and Bill to come forward and explain themselves. I also have to decide whether a civilian or military legal office will get me the results I'm looking for.

I am very upset over this matter and not sure if I would even accept my order now even if it was completed and ready to ship. This deal has left me feeling "dirty."

Does anyone know the latest here with Van Dyke? I have been calling since June. I put a downpayment on a rifle in January. Everything was good. I talked to them a few times about some updates, scoping issues. last contact was Feb 19, 2009. I have 2k outstanding. I am calling the Kansas ATF field office on Tuesday, and an attorney in Kansas, unless anyone knows any info on what their deal is..

Any info is helpful.. thanks

looks to me that Van Dyke is going to be suffering several lawsuits if they dont get their obligations in order. I understand the hardships of personal troubles but that cant keep you away from your business. Im sure most of us here have went thru hard times in their personal life but there is time for that and time to fill in with your responsibilities. Van Dyke should be obligated to handle their customers. I also have a feeling they wont be back in business with this poor track record over the past few months. Its good that everyone is airing out their complaints, so they (van dyke) and their future dissapointed customers can be aware. Id stay away from them.

Hi guys,

I live just 30 minutes from John's shop and have close friends who know him personally. I have met and talked with both john and Bill on numerous occasions. I too have 2k outstanding on one of his rifles and understand the anxiety.

I have a work appointment in just a few minutes so don't have much time, but I do have some information that I think may help some of you.

In short, John has experienced major difficulty in life in the last several months. Things appear to be pulling back together now including him building a new shop to continue his business. I do know that the build took longer than anticipated but he should be up and running soon if he isn't already.

I am fairly confident that I will get my rifle and others will as well. John appears to be a person of integrity an I'm optimistic that things will work out. I have a good friend with two of his rifles and they shoot lights out. Very accurate rifles with good quality all around. It's the reason I ordered from him in the first place.

I'd be happy to try and facilitate communication with John or Bill. Feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I just had a chance to review some of the posts regarding VanDyke. I am by no means defending him. I do know that his personal problems go much further than the issues with his wife (although those are bad enough). In my estimation, not contacting people letting them know what is going on is poor business practices and asking for trouble. I just wanted to offer that there is more going on than is out there and I hope he can let everyone know so at least people have some information to ease anxiety.

My offer to facilitate communication stands if anyone is interested.By my way of thinking, we are all better off if he has more time in the shop and less time in court. That said, I also understand if people take it to the next level, particularly if he is not forthcoming with what is going on.

I thought I would send a quick update.

My friend reports that VanDyke is up and running near 100% currently. He stopped by to visit and things were back to near normal. They have hired an additional person to get caught up and try to get back on track. I feel better about where things are now. Hopefully they have gotten in touch with you all and reported the progress. Just wanted to give a heads up and hopefully reduce some anxiety.

UPDATE:

Couldn't retrieve my original login so my name is a bit different.

Anyway, here is the latest.

I received a rifle from Van Dyke Rifle designs only after I had a lawyer mail some unpleasant correspondence to the Van Dykes. Within a week of contact with my lawyer a rifle was delivered.

It arrived with a big ole tomahawk chop down the middle of the scope: It was shipped in a Kalispel case without the foam being trimmed so the rifle simply slid into the inside aluminum seem during shipping and landed squarely on the $1500 optic. The upper turret cover and rheostat cover are toast. At this point I'm over it and just put the damn thing away for 4 months; disgusted and bitter.

When I do take the rifle out to the desert I get 6 shots through it (it did shoot straight). I was advised by John before it was shipped out that the action will be tight and will need a box of ammo or 2 run through the rifle before it sets in. Well it certainly was a tight action; after the 6'th shot the bolt would not open and the bolt handle began to separate from its weld on the bolt. It is my feeling that this is a bit more serious than a "tight action" and this rifle was improperly made. Thankful that the damn thing didn't blow up in my face I called VDRD and spoke to Bill who claimed to be training new employees.

He was very apologetic said this has happened to a few other customers and he new exactly how to fix it, send it in, it will get fixed right away, they stand behind our products and their customers...blah blah blah the whole sales pitch.

Needless to say I was VERY weary about sending the rifle back but after a couple calls to VDRD to make sure that they actually know how to pick up the phone again (heck they even responded to an EMAIL!) I removed the barrel and action from the stock, take off the optic and mail in the jammed up mess.

That was three weeks ago. We are back to business as usual; nobody responds to emails or picks up the phone.

This has turned into a laughable joke; albeit a very expensive one.

So, in 3 years time after being paid in full Van Dyke Rifle Designs STILL cannot get a working rifle out the door to me. WHAT A JOKE!

This is the most Godawful purchase of ANYTHING I have ever gone through.

I have some vacation time next week and think a little trip to Plainville Ks may prove amusing.

So to sum up

Whole bunch of money + 2 years build time = crappy rifle that seized up in 6 shots.

It is my personal opinion that Van Dyke Rifle Designs is the absolute worst place you can go to have any type of firearms related work done. Poor quality, endless excuses, deplorable customer service and oh yeah; THEY NEVER ANSWER THE F***ING PHONE!

I would have done better with a $150 WWII surplus bolt action POS than I did on this rifle from Van Dyke Rifle Designs.

If the Van Dykes cannot get their sh*t together after 3 years, I have a feeling it just aint gonna happen.

FREDREDED: If you can get in touch with the Van Dykes and ask them to kindly check and respond to their emails I would appreciate it as I am not looking forward to wasting my vacation time traveling out to Kansas to deal with this crap. Better yet get them to respond to this thread; I would LOVE to hear their side of the story and hear them try to explain this.

Sounds like Van Dyke and Lawton are on the same path nowadays. I will never spend my money with Lawton again. Not only did I pay for a rifle in full, it went back once before it even got to me. Now will have to go to ANOTHER smith to fix what they did not do correctly.

KY, you have no luck with gunsmiths