• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Core exercises for a broken back?

Aljones

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
A.C.T Australia
Hi Guys
I'm looking for core exercises that can be done after breaking your back (T12-L3 With 40% compression of L1), If there are any pilots here that have ejected I would be interested in what exercises you were given as my Doctor said my injury is very similar. I've got another 3 weeks in my brace before I go for a review, so I have got some time before I can get into it.
Cheers
Jonesy.

Re: Core exercises for a broken back?

clear any suggestions with your MD before!!!

broken back isin't something i'd trust for web advice?

not knowing nature of injury, prognosis, level of healing/stability its not easy to suggest anything.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">clear any suggestions with your MD before!!!
</span>

isometrics is prolly safe tightening abs back etc.

if cleared by MD overhead is KING

start with standing and walking with hand/s over head (aka waiter walk) eventually increasing load.

sit in chair hands overhead stand up. (modified over head squat)

hold gal jug with one quart (gradually increasing load) one side stand, right or left ... stand when tolerated ,then walk (aka farmers walk or suitcase walk)

all good for core but again ask MD before attempting. dont mess around and paralyze your self!!!!!

c<span style="font-size: 14pt">clear any suggestions with your MD before!!!</span>

will increase tone in spinal erectors and subsequently abs. without tradition sit ups.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">ps.
Clear any suggestions/exercise with your MD before attempting!!!</span>

pps. above is not medical advice please consult MD.

good luck

heal fast

Thanks for the Ideas "Biglou", I will of course clear anything I do with the doc. The looks I got when I asked about exercises to do while in Hospital and afterwards was funny, much the same sort of look I got from a work rehab girl after enquring how my arm was 4 days after I broke my forearm, I gave her a list of strength exercises I was doing stopping short of telling her I was already repairing Browning .50cals instead of sticking to light weapons (desk work was not my thing).

I know this thread is ancient but I'd like to add my 2 cents for future military and/or non mil back injury patients. What worked for me directly after my T12/L1 break was walking and running with 15-20 lbs weights(per hand) in the local public pool. Make sure you buy those 'elcheapo' water shoes with rubber soles(I went through almost 8 pair in 8 months) otherwise you'll tear your feet up. Also make sure you start with slow walking in slightly deeper water(nipple line). This will minimize any pounding while the injury is still fresh. Then as the weeks progress move into shallower lanes and start picking up the pace to a running motion. When the time is right, start alternating with a few swimming laps in between the running. Water training should be your main priority after this type of injury. You will be surprised at how the water helps reduce pain during and even after exercise. Rehab and core weights(light machine only, NO FREE WEIGHTS) should follow while you attend maybe a supervised injury rehab facility(follow PT's advise while there).

Street walking is also important and I know this is going to be hard for some to do, BUT try to get off any pain pills ASAP. They'll just slow you down and you'll never know where your true pain levels are. Trending and charting your progress becomes easier when your pain meds are in the trash. Watch for the side effects as you ween down and hopefully eliminate all pain medication. No need for me to go into details about the addictiveness of pain pills, you probably already know by now!

There will be times you think you're making major progress and then there'll be times you feel you're going backwards. Don't get frustrated as this is normal. Your body will communicate with you every step of the way. Just listen to your body and keep moving everyday, get good rest at night. A Tempur-pedic mattress will really help(if you can afford it), sorry I don't think insurance will cover it but give it a shot anyway.

In 8 months I covered almost 1600 miles walking and atleast 3000 meters in the pool per week. After getting my back brace off my Neuro Surgeon cancelled any surgery plans he had had for me, citing rediculous recovery that he had never seen before. I'm not a bragger just a survivor. It's going to be hard I promise, but it will all be worth it when you're done. In Fact, I'm still not done, as I now train harder than I've ever trained before. I'm back on the street running 15-25 miles per week along with some tire drags down at the local field. To 'boot' I've added in a little boot camp with Bobby Smith at BIG DAWG FITNESS in Palm City Florida. My core is now stronger than it's ever been & mentally I feel like there's nothing at all that can stop me. I still clearly remember the day I left the hospital with my walker. It was an emotional day back on March 9, 2010
As they say in South Africa, VASBYT MANNE

I suffer from constant back problems. Degenerative, collapsed, prolapsed, you name it. Just a mess.

So one of the most important things you can do is regain mobility and refrain from reinjury. The pool PT is great, it is the only thing I can really do to the point I get smoked. Every other exercise leaves me in pain before I get winded. So treading water in the deep end wound up being my thing. You can add weights when you get a little more practice, they'll drag you down making you work harder.

Quit for the day if you feel the nerve pain, like shooting or burning streaks of pain that go down the leg. Or if it gets worse or moves down the leg.

Short walks around the 'hood help.

There are some floor exercises too, it would behoove you to ask your back doc, PT, whoever, to go over them with you. They are way too difficult to explain online (nearly impossible in person --how to explain how to use muscles you don't "feel" or know exist!?) These are the muscles you inquire about, and the exercises aren't intuitive and you will likely need instruction to do it right. One thing you can do is crunches, but not a full crunch. You are mainly laying there and just flexing those muscles. If you can, flex the ones below those.

A chiropractor can be good, but I just spoke to my back doc and she said not to do it, for me anyway. I have nerve damage caused by my spine and she said it is risky to set or reset a back when nerve damage is present. Some really good chiros will she said, some won't, and it all comes down to them knowing their limitations. Something to look into, but if you have nerve damage, ie, shooting pains going down your legs, perhaps it would be best to forego the chiro.

Again, what that guy said about GO TO THE DOCTOR, DO IT! Don't trust online suggestions with your back, your health. My back doc just told me that a chiropractor could have paralyzed me, not ten minutes ago, had I went that suggested route. Your doc will know what is good and what is bad. Hopefully.

You pain meds can get you through tough times, but beware that they can also trick you into doing more than your body is ready for, thus setting you back. Sometimes months. Be careful, try to use the pain meds to relax at the end of the day and to get good rest. Don't use 'em to push yourself harder.

Good luck, back problems SUCK! Stay away from surgeries until the last minute, long story short, it usually gets worse after surgery, not better.

Oh yeah, if you are or do end up on opioid or opiate painkillers for a while, 6 months or longer, you may need to take testosterone injections too. The opiates reduce your testosterone and in addition to making you "less of a man" it makes you feel crappy and wound down too. Just a heads up, blood test will find out, but many doctors are clueless about the fact that long term opiates will kill testosterone production in the male patient.

Good luck, get better!

Im 34 yo And 2 weeks out from a posterior lumbar fusion- l5-s1. This is my third back surgery- 4 years ago I had a discectomy 2 years before that a micro disc all at the same level. All together this was my 17th major orthopedic surgery. (trauma) Each surgery was needed due to major compression of my nerve root. I've only had about 60% Use of my right foot from the past 2 surgeries, now I have lost about 20% in my left foot. I have been an active competitor in 3 gun etc...
For anyone out there who is about to have back surgery or just had it. Don't read the doom and gloom on the net. Focus on finding ways to alter conditioning programs to get and stay fit. Getting off pain meds as fast as poss is very important. You obviously need to be careful, and each person responds differently post op to the new challenges. This stuff takes time and patience, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, you do need to consult with your doc before doing anything, but that needs to be balanced with what your body is telling you. Also, make sure you eat as much protein as you can. Your body needs the extra amino acids to heal.

For me, i have the weakness and some remaining nerve pain. I walk with a cane, but I can tell that in 6 weeks I will be good to go. I am not changing any of my late summer competition plans. My doc is ok with that too....

Just keep walking, focus on keeping your core tight and before you know it you will be ready to get after some more traditional core exercises.
Good luck!