• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Correct ring height for 700 rifles?

FALbert

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
I am on the verge of acquiring both an LTR and XCR compact. After I put on a quality one piece picatinney rail (Badger Ordnance or Nightforce) I am not sure which height scope rings to get. I plan on equipping both with 30mm scopes that have an 50mm objectives. I find the "factory" stocks adequate and do not plan on replacing them. So do I need low, medium, or high rings to have the objective clear the barrels?

Is Badger Ordnance height the same as any other brands? I don't want to fall into that trap like with women's clothes where the actual sizes vary by maker, IE one's medium is not the same as the other's.
wink.gif

Re: Correct ring height for 700 rifles?

Actual ring heights, as quoted from the manufacturer vary all over the place. Also, they method of measurement varies between manufacturers. Some measure from the bottom of the base to the centerline of the ring (Badger Ord,), while others (Farrell for example) measure from the bottom of the base to the bottom of the ring opening.

One companies "low" is anothers "standard" and could very well be anothers "medium".

So Badger Ordnance's "standard" is quoted as being .823" high, where Farrell quotes his "standard" as being .243" high, and Nightforce quotes their "low" ring height as .885" in height, while Leupold says that their "medium" Mark 4 rings measure at .840" high.

Confusing, isn't it. The only way to tell for sure is to try the scope in the ring set of your choice, but knowing how the individual ring manufacturer measures his ring height will go a long way.

Just as a rough guideline, I know that you can mount a side focus scope with a 50mm objective lens on a Remington 700 PSS with a Badger 20 MOA base using Badger "medium" (.885" height") rings 'cause I've done it. Badger measures from the top of the base to the centerline of the ring to arrive at their height figure. By knowing how other ring manufacturers measure their ring height and by doing the math you should be able to take it from there.

will the burris tactical low (1/4" measurement from base to bottom)with a 50mm obj clear the barrel?

What's the diameter of the scope tube? 30mm, 1". or what?

Is the scope a side focus or AO model - it matters - AO scopes are generally larger in overall objective bell diameter than SF models.

I picked up a W.O.Tac, I have heard good things about them so far, as a guy just getting into this i didnt want to invest big money on my first rig. I figure its a good learning scope, I should have picked up a falcon now that i am hearing more about them lately.

OK, so the Burris Tactical low rings measure .250" from the top of the mount to the bottom surface of the ring opening.

Take the diameter of the opening (+/- 30mm) which is roughly 1.18" and divide that in half which comes out to .591", then add that to the .250" that Burris specifies for ring height. That comes to .841".

If the scope that you mentioned is a side focus parallax model it might just fit. It's gonna be close. If the parallax adjustment is on the objective bell (know as an AO scope) it probably won't work as the AO adds to the overall diameter of the objective. It might hit the barrel.

I've never tried the combination that you've mentioned so I can only come up with a SWAG.