• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

I assembled my rifle after receiving my action in the mail - everything came together more or less alright.
- LA RH .535 bolt CDG
- preferred barrel blanks - 20 inch taperless .750 contour - chome moly blued blasted. 7mm PRC
- XLR Element 4 MG
- trigger tech primary

Torqued the action to 100 lb feet - extremely dismayed to see the action easily close on the no-go gauge (manson reamers). Has anyone else here had similar issues?
What’s she weigh

Does it close on a field gauge?

I don't have one - I tried the trick of adding a layer of scotch tape to the bottom of the no-go gauge and it did not close - although I'm trying to avoid becoming the next Kentucky ballistics, ideally I'd have a way to confirm if the headspace is unsafe with an actual field gauge.

What’s she weigh
I just added optics - 9.5 lbs with an empty 3 round mag.

Reactions: Rex_Allen
I don't have one - I tried the trick of adding a layer of scotch tape to the bottom of the no-go gauge and it did not close - although I'm trying to avoid becoming the next Kentucky ballistics, ideally I'd have a way to confirm if the headspace is unsafe with an actual field gauge.
You don't need a field gauge. Measure the thickness of the Scotch tape and add that to the size of the no-go gauge. Then see if that number falls within SAAMI spec.
Not all no go gauges are the same. Chances are if you buy a different no-go gauge from a different manufacturer, it will not close.

Reactions: spife7980
Seat your bullets into the lands and fire form your brass with less than book max load, a couple of times if necessary to get full growth. Then just size .002” from there.

Reactions: st1650 and lash
Got my build out today for break in. Super happy with it. Coming from all ARs, shooting the light trigger and bolt gun was a learning curve. Sub MOA groups for the last couple of groups. No adjustments to anything. AW mag fed perfect with the MPA chassis. Probably gonna need a non cantilever mount. Gonna do some 87gr VMAX load dev this weekend.

Thank you to everyone here for their expertise and help.

Attachments

• 20230817_133814.jpg
    20230817_133814.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: Chipster697
Got my build out today for break in. Super happy with it. Coming from all ARs, shooting the light trigger and bolt gun was a learning curve. Sub MOA groups for the last couple of groups. No adjustments to anything. AW mag fed perfect with the MPA chassis. Probably gonna need a non cantilever mount. Gonna do some 87gr VMAX load dev this weekend.

Yeah dude get some proper rings for this build and watch your sub-moa gun turn into a sub 1/2 moa.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-precision-matched-30mm-rings+vx_ring_height-87~inches

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-bolt-action-mount/

Reactions: monkeypunch
Yeah dude get some proper rings for this build and watch your sub-moa gun turn into a sub 1/2 moa.
Yeah after getting behind it, that mount won't work. But, it was in the parts bin, so I gave it a shot.

This bolt world is new to me. But, already addicting. I didn't touch the adjustments on the TT diamond, and it felt crazy touchy
But, the more I shot it, the more comfortable I got. This gun is 12.5lbs, and by far the lightest rifle I shoot with a magnified optic. I didn't realize how different it would feel from my 6.5C gas gun.

Reactions: lash
Yeah after getting behind it, that mount won't work. But, it was in the parts bin, so I gave it a shot.

This bolt world is new to me. But, already addicting. I didn't touch the adjustments on the TT diamond, and it felt crazy touchy
But, the more I shot it, the more comfortable I got. This gun is 12.5lbs, and by far the lightest rifle I shoot with a magnified optic. I didn't realize how different it would feel from my 6.5C gas gun.

You might be better off with a 2 stage Trigger tech if you’re used to gassers. And for the 2 stage models, you don’t need a Diamond, the Primary is low enough and having that bit of a wall might help you with trigger control. Just food for thought, you can easily sell a Diamond for close to what you paid.

I’ve moved all my center fire precision bolt guns to 2 stages except my 22LR RimX still has a TT Diamond which is quite nice for the KYL challenge and for shooting tiny tiny groups.

You might be better off with a 2 stage Trigger tech if you’re used to gassers. And for the 2 stage models, you don’t need a Diamond, the Primary is low enough and having that bit of a wall might help you with trigger control. Just food for thought, you can easily sell a Diamond for close to what you paid.

I’ve moved all my center fire precision bolt guns to 2 stages except my 22LR RimX still has a TT Diamond which is quite nice for the KYL challenge and for shooting tiny tiny groups.
I'm using the 2 stage Diamond now.

NOTE: I just received a message from the gunsmith, they're ordering me a new barrel. As such, everything below is OBE; it still happened, but they are correcting it.

Ugh

Well, the barrel saga continues… looks like the jig they used to hold carbon fiber barrels slipped and the gunsmith attempted to re-cut the threads/crown the barrel… resulting in .0035” worth of run out. They are in saying in their email to me that the run out was at the end of an ultra7.

And things are still messed up…

Using an alignment rod and comparing a prior barrel, they did for me you can see a clear difference.

The photos are marked proof and bartlein with proof being the barrel they messed up…

The two suppressors are a biscuit and a Ultra9. It’s pretty clear that it gets a lot worse with an ultra nine because it’s 6.5 and 9 inches long. (whereas the other one is 30 caliber…)

IMG_0641.jpeg
IMG_0642.jpeg
IMG_0643.jpeg
IMG_0645.jpeg

Note that this was all with the same exact hardware… so it’s fine on one barrel and not on another.

I’ll probably open another thread for this but I had previously posted and this is the current outcome. Since this is after the second time they had the barrel, I’m just venting.

Last edited:
Got to experience that pivoting extraction with hot ammo that I accidentally mixed Varget and H4350..... works great lol

Will say a flat breech barrel feeds fine with AW mags in 6CM.
Mine did too, until I loaded up some 58gr vmax bullets. That shorter bullet than my normal 103 ELD-X really threw a wrench in smooth feeding.

NOTE: I just received a message from the gunsmith, they're ordering me a new barrel. As such, everything below is OBE; it still happened, but they are correcting it.

Ugh

Well, the barrel saga continues… looks like the jig they used to hold carbon fiber barrels slipped and the gunsmith attempted to re-cut the threads/crown the barrel… resulting in .0035” worth of run out. They are in playing in their email to me that the run out was at the end of an ultra7.

And things are still messed up…

Using an alignment rod and comparing a prior barrel, they did for me you can see a clear difference.

The photos are marked proof and bartlein with proof being the barrel they messed up…

The two suppressors are a biscuit and a Ultra9. It’s pretty clear that it gets a lot worse with an ultra nine because it’s 6.5 and 9 inches long. (whereas the other one is 30 caliber…)

View attachment 8207356View attachment 8207357View attachment 8207358View attachment 8207359
Note that this was all with the same exact hardware… so it’s fine on one barrel and not on another.

I’ll probably open another thread for this but I had previously posted and this is the current outcome. Since this is after the second time they had the barrel, I’m just venting.
Ah, question....last two pics of "U9". First one of the Proof looks like a 30 cal...lots of room around the .264 alignment rod. Last pic is U-9 on Bartlein and the alignment rod is a very close fit in the end cap exit hole.

????

Ah, question....last two pics of "U9". First one of the Proof looks like a 30 cal...lots of room around the .264 alignment rod. Last pic is U-9 on Bartlein and the alignment rod is a very close fit in the end cap exit hole.

????
6.5mm cal Ultra 9 vs. a shorter .30 cal Biscuit I think he said. Length and bore tightness exacerbate the issue.

6.5mm cal Ultra 9 vs. a shorter .30 cal Biscuit I think he said. Length and bore tightness exacerbate the issue.
Ah yeah...first two pics are indeed the 30 cal Biscuit but the last two are supposedly the 6.5 U-9 but as you can see one has far more clearance around the rod than the other??

Ah yeah...first two pics are indeed the 30 cal Biscuit but the last two are supposedly the 6.5 U-9 but as you can see one has far more clearance around the rod than the other??
Because one’s the fucked up barrel and the other isn’t.

Because one’s the fucked up barrel and the other isn’t.
Read what I posted carefully, please.

The 3rd picture is, I believe, the U-9 on the fucked up Proof. Clearly its off center and clearly there is a LOT of room around the rod...that is, the exit hole is significantly bigger than the rod no matter if the rod is centered or not.

The fourth picture is, I believe, the U-9 on the properly threaded/shouldered Bartlein barrel. It is not only centered but there is very little clearance around the rod. Sort of looks like the 3rd one is still a 30 cal can and the fourth is a 6.5 can while I believe GB's intent was to show identical stuff on the two barrels.

I may have misunderstood, but these pictures seem to indicate that the same can was used on both of the last two pics based on exit hole size vs rod.

Got the action in hand today but had to send it off to Bugholes for my 7PRC build. Waited all this time and didnt even get to play with it. 😣😣😣

Time for Greg to do his thing. Cant wait.
Good choice.

Bugholes (Russ) told me that it wasn’t necessary to send them the action as they have a handle on the CDG now. He told me to just order the barrel as a pre-fit. Also 7mm PRC.

Unless of course Greg is going to do a full build for you.

Reactions: pingunit and Ichi
Good choice.

Bugholes (Russ) told me that it wasn’t necessary to send them the action as they have a handle on the CDG now. He told me to just order the barrel as a pre-fit. Also 7mm PRC.

It's a full build. Including a skim bed.

Reactions: lash
Good choice.

I got my 300 NM pre-fit from bugholes a couple weeks ago. It looks great, but it'll be awhile til I get my action.

Received my RH/LA/.473/30 moa today - what a tank, can't wait to get it together.

I can confirm that it is nearly a drop in to a Cadex chassis, but may need to put a small flat spot on the rear of the trigger hanger as it is right against the rear action screw boss.

Anyone else not get all the parts?
Ordered a LA with .585 and .535 bolt faces and a wrench.

Got the LA and .535 only

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821_223559_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_223559_Instagram.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 86
Received my RH/LA/.473/30 moa today - what a tank, can't wait to get it together.

I can confirm that it is nearly a drop in to a Cadex chassis, but may need to put a small flat spot on the rear of the trigger hanger as it is right against the rear action screw boss.
Can you post a pic if you get a chance? I'm looking to purchase a Cadex Lite Competition chassis for my LA CDG whenever it comes in.

Honestly I'm surprised my 2/26 order shipped yesterday. I had not seen any orders with dates close to this noted here as being shipped.

Reactions: pingunit
Anyone else not get all the parts?
Ordered a LA with .585 and .535 bolt faces and a wrench.

Got the LA and .535 only
You might check your order online. I asked to split my order a while back and they shipped chassis and wrench. The system showed I still had pending parts. That might be a quick way to see if you have another shipment coming. That, or a call to Bella will probably sort it out too.

You might check your order online. I asked to split my order a while back and they shipped chassis and wrench. The system showed I still had pending parts. That might be a quick way to see if you have another shipment coming. That, or a call to Bella will probably sort it out too.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 5.11.27 PM.png

What’s everyone using for DBM with AW magazines and the CDG? Looking at a couple of the usual suspects (Badger, KMW) to inlet into a McMillan, does any one run better than the others with the CDG and double stacks?

What’s everyone using for DBM with AW magazines and the CDG? Looking at a couple of the usual suspects (Badger, KMW) to inlet into a McMillan, does any one run better than the others with the CDG and double stacks?
@GBMaryland you’re running a Hawkins M5 with the standard latch?

If KMW works, and I have no reason to think not, their stuff is super nice.

@Terry Cross - any input on CDG and your bottom metal with AW mags? Adjustable mag catch on them?

If only that beautiful otm tactical dbm accepted aw mags!
Some people claim to have it working, I had no luck with my Defiance. It looks nice, but even with AICS mags I had better functionality from Hawkins.

Some people claim to have it working, I had no luck with my Defiance. It looks nice, but even with AICS mags I had better functionality from Hawkins.
I have no experience with tactical m5 dbm other than the otm and it worked well for me. However I've pretty much went all chassis now. Granted all my hunting rifles either use hawkins m5 Oberndorf or m5 hunter dbms. Andy does make a great product.

If KMW works, and I have no reason to think not, their stuff is super nice.

@Terry Cross - any input on CDG and your bottom metal with AW mags? Adjustable mag catch on them?
No adjustable latch on the Mk1 or Gen II M5 DBMs . . . . yet.

The body of the latch is already oversized to take the mods which are being ironed out for a competition version of the Zealot chassis. Whenever the Adj. Latches are out, they will be direct swap capable with the current fixed latches on the KMW DBMs.

We honestly aren't having any issues with the AW mags running under Defiance, Impact and MacBros receivers with the non adjustable latches.
The 3 lug BF on the CDG should scoop rounds up quite well compared to a 2 lug.

*I have sold DBMs to owners of CDG but have no clue if they are running AWs
**As with any DBM system, the vertical offset/pillar height is crucial. It is doubly crucial if running AW mags and 2 lug BFs.
*** All the KMW DBMs now have the Captv-Mag tabs at the top of the mag box housing to keep mags from skewing or pushing into the bolt path enough to bind however this feature only works as designed with AICS pattern mags. AW mags will run in them but the Captv-Mag tabs do not limit the AW body like the AICS body.

Thanks for asking.

No adjustable latch on the Mk1 or Gen II M5 DBMs . . . . yet.

The body of the latch is already oversized to take the mods which are being ironed out for a competition version of the Zealot chassis. Whenever the Adj. Latches are out, they will be direct swap capable with the current fixed latches on the KMW DBMs.

We honestly aren't having any issues with the AW mags running under Defiance, Impact and MacBros receivers with the non adjustable latches.
The 3 lug BF on the CDG should scoop rounds up quite well compared to a 2 lug.

*I have sold DBMs to owners of CDG but have no clue if they are running AWs
**As with any DBM system, the vertical offset/pillar height is crucial. It is doubly crucial if running AW mags and 2 lug BFs.
*** All the KMW DBMs now have the Captv-Mag tabs at the top of the mag box housing to keep mags from skewing or pushing into the bolt path enough to bind however this feature only works as designed with AICS pattern mags. AW mags will run in them but the Captv-Mag tabs do not limit the AW body like the AICS body.

Thanks for asking.

Wow, Terry....thanks for taking the time to write such a complete response.

I do have a friend who has a rifle built by Joe Walls and I handled it last year. It had you DBM and I thought it was just beautifully made. Now, this was AICS and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again.