• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship crazy shots!!!! lets hear about them...

huntinggamo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2010
Northern Colorado, United States
ok, I'll start. no b.s. found 10 doves lined up on a fence line while shooting this past fall, took a single shot with my gap .260 running uso up top and a thunder beast can, 300yds. bullet passed through the heads and necks of 7 doves before deviating course. all fully edible and intact. beat the hell out of picking shot out of them...lol

what shots have you made that surprised you or had an unexpected outcome?

Re: crazy shots!!!! lets hear about them...

Was shooting at my local range this past week(200 yds) when a woodchuck walked along and disappeared behind my target stand. Thinking ricochet shot I quickly pulled a bullet, (175 smk, .308) and reversed it in the case, re-seating it with my leatherman. I took careful aim at a handy rock on the berm and used my zen powers to imagine exactly where he was. Broke the shot and said chuck flipped over the target stand landing flat on his back, head shot .
(Early April Fools!)
Mike

Reactions: Aim High 71

A buddy of mine was able to hit a mile target with his 308 Savage over the weekend. He bottomed out his elevation adjustment and reticle and still had to aim at the the top of a tree (60 ft. above the plate). It took him 13 shots.

Reactions: Romeo458

Other day I was playing on the 200 yard steel with my 22 trainer (6 inch discs) when the guy next to me bet me 5 bucks I couldn't hit the 400 yard steel silhouette (18x12) in 3 shots. Rang it on second shot (was only holding over ~ 15-20 feet above target (And yes, before anyone says, it was still safe. My POA was still well within my range's berm.)) Than proceeded to ring the next 9 out of 10 shots. At that distance the 22 doesn't budge the steel a hair, you (and primarily your spotter) have to spot and track your shots.

Reactions: Graywolf.260

sig, I have a similar 22 experience, pdog running around in front of the 600yd berm at my range, took the better part of a 30rd mag and holding about 5' higher than my fov allowed in the cheap wal-mart tasco I have mounted on my 10-22 but I landed a 600yd head shot.

the other incident was jumped a rabbit while walking a pdog field in tall grass that lined the lowest part of the field, snap shot the rabbit with the 11" barred ar with a thunder beast can and open sights, he went down and up shot a coyote 30yds away with the afterburners lit, raised up and shot on reflexes and he went down 70yds out. 2nd and third coyote poped up out of the same area, both moving like hell. crosser to left dropped with reflex shot at 85yds 3rd coyote was quartering away to the right first shot broke at about 200yds missed and went over right shoulder. he changed paths and ran straight away, broke second shot and rolled him at 260yds. all the while my father in law barley got his rifle up.
I looked back to him with his dropped jaw. lol said every time he started to bring gun up the target got hit and rolled. he could not believe the speed at which I was able to acquire targets and put rounds on target. to be honest I never seen my sights until the 3rd coyote. told him that's what thousands of hours behind a gun will do to you. know it pays off at matches...lol

I got a triple kill with 1 shot on call of duty with the .50, oh yeah beat that.

Reactions: geek65

This is an actual, true story! A couple of weeks ago, the first time shooting a new 22LR at 200 yards, I dialed in the elevation, set up on target and sent the round. To my surprise there was a puff of dust way in front of the target, then the thump of the bullet hitting the cardboard target! It wasn't in the bull, but hey, the unplanned ricochet hit the target!

Checking the elevation dialed in, I realized I had turned the knob 1 full revolution less than intended. Corrected this and returned to shooting.

So, in summary, 1st round hit @ 200yd with a 22LR. All due to great planning and execution! (Not!)

My most unbelievable shot ever actually happened with a paintball gun. My buddies and I were waiting around between games, when I saw a dragonfly fly over our heads, and go behind me. I asked my buddy if he saw that? He said "see what"? I yelled dragonfly, and without looking, or aiming, quickly spun a 180, and touched the trigger. By the time my buddy saw what I was shooting at, there was nothing but wings falling out of the sky. I'd centered him perfectly, and left the wings intact. More luck than anything, but it's still the most unbelievable shot I've made.

This is one of many infamous "Mikey Shot's" that I have been witness to and been a part of. Mikey is my shooting partner from back in our days on the Navy Rifle Team, this particular event was leading up to our 1st trip to Camp Perry and we were at Delta range (I think it's Hathcock Range now) down at Camp LeJune. One particular individual was just having one hell of a time getting from 600 to 1000 with a 300WM ?!?!?! He was making quite a spectacle of himself cussing the rifle, scope, ammo etc....

A little back story. The 300WM in question was the predecessor to the MK-13 from Crane. There were only so many available and the pre requisite to being able to shoot one of these was you either needed to have long range experience or small bore experience. This fella beat out my bud on selection because "I shot small bore in college".

After burning 58 of 60 rounds trying to get on target at 1K in full highpower shooting regalia my bud says "Chief, let me try." (He was an E-6, I was an E-5) After a rather lengthy dissertation about you'll never hit it etc, etc, my bud asks

"What was your dope at 600?"
"It doesn't matter the gun is $^%*@# up"
"Chief, what did you have on at 6?"
"I told you it doesn't matter!"
The Commander standing behind says "What did you have on at 6 Chief?"

The elevation data was produced.

Mikey and I are looking at the range and there is a berm to the left where the weeds are in full sway while the range is pretty calm all the way down on our side. Between the two of us we figured out the bullet was crossing above the berm and getting blown out to the right and off the target. We had "stock dope" for the rifle but nothing good so Mikey throws a padded rifle cover over an ammo can and lays down behind the stick dials back to the 600 dope and then comes up 10 or so.

I line up behind Mikey and watch the grass on the berm and I gave him a wind call of like 12 1/2 left. Our "Chief" launches into a tirade about how unsafe that would be and we don't know what were doing etc., etc. In mid tirade Mike goes "12 1/2 left aye! and dials it on. Back on the gun and BOOM!

Berm HIT! 6 o'clock!

Come up 5 minutes!

Stand byyyyyyyy, wait..... send it BOOM!

The target went down for the first time. When it came back up the marker was centered about as near to perfect in the X ring as you can imagine ( a pinwheel to be exact).

Mikey stands up jacks the round out of the chamber, hands the gun to the Chief and says "There ain't nothin' wrong with that gun."

As Mikey and I are gathering up out junk the CDR comes over and says "You'll be shooting a Magnum for us at Perry won't you?" Mike looked him right in the eye. "No Sir, I don't have any small bore experience."

Cheers,

Doc

I was at a local range shooting steel. Had been shooting a while and just when I was warming up... the wind picked up.

Santa Ana's... Blew over a chair and knocked over EVERYONE'S spotting scopes and tripods, chronographs and everything. Shit was going everywhere. I had dope on for 600 and quickly closed me caps to keep the sand out and put my head in my arms to see if it would subside. It calmed for a moment so I opened my caps back up to resume shooting with about a 20 mile per hour wind constant full value. I was holding 3 mils on a 6 inch plate, just then it gusted knocking over some more shit... I jumped up to 4.5 and squeezed one off. DING!

I packed up and went home...

Shot made in 1966. Since ranged with a LRF.

1 each Bufflehead drake.
1 each .22LR Single shot Winchester model 67
271 yards.
1 each Bufflehead swimming in circles.
1 shot from '56 Chevy passenger side window, about that much low.
2nd shot, Kentucky elevation from '56 Chevy passenger side window.
1 dead Bufflehead drake.

God just wanted that duck to be dead.

LOL , this is some funny shit,can't wait to let this build up a few days and then read some more when I'm bored out of my mind.

Used to shoot with a bunch of fellow neer-do-wells out in the desert. 200 yards from our favorite camp was a steel round about the size of a 55 gallon drum lid. We could all beat it up pretty steadily with a .45 1911.

One trip, I climbed a hill behind our camp to look for some friends we were expecting. I could see my amigo Sam potting at that gong, so I moved position until he was covered by an intervening hill, then waited for him to stop for a moment.

I drew my little Officer's ACP lightweight, figuring I would just throw some dust close to the gong, and that he'd laugh at such an impossible shot. I held up all the front sight, and when that didn't look like enough, I held up until I could see the slide top halfway back to the ejection port.

Pressed the trigger carefully, followed through, dropped to low ready, then holstered. Just as the pistol came to rest in the holster, I saw the plate bounce. Ol' Sam said that 200-grain SWC sounded like chugging locomotive as it sailed far over his position.

And no, I never tried that shot again!

Cheers... Jim

400m 4ft.x4ft t barrier target at 80kts out of a blackhawk with M107 and from what I remember 45 minutes and a 7.5mil hold with leupold Mark4.
smile.gif

Good stories!!

My craziest shot took place about 7 years ago. I had just recieved and tuned up a lightly used Marlin 2000 Biathlon rifle.
I had purchased a 22 can and wanted a 22 bolt rifle to use it on. I needed to zero it and strapped a cheap Tasco 6-24X on it so I could see how it shot.

So, I'm at the range on a hot August day. I've got 2 of the 10 dot .22 targets up at 25yds and I've worked my way to the bottom target tuning as I went. I had made my last 1/16" correction and just started taking the centers out of the dots, when a fly landed at the top of the upper target. His head was about .2" in dia. the same size as the target centers...I wonder.

Naturally, I muttered a curse at the fly for being stupid enough to land on my target, on this day...bad choice!
Nice light press on the trigger and I see him leave the scope.

Thought I'd missed him.
I went to the target a little later and found the bullethole surrounded by a reddish/brown spray pattern in the exact shape of a fly's body.
I wish I could have found the body, I'd have mounted it to the target.

So, my most amazing shot was a headshot on a fly @ 25 yds. I still have the target, framed in my shop.

Reactions: themightytimmah

A teal came rocketing over my head and all I had time to do was throw my gun up in the air and fire. hit it dead and landed at my dads feet. his only comment was "Damn kids"

Other than that. Camp Perry, 600 yard line highpower nationals. there was a storm coming in with high winds and they refused to stop the match. when i fired my first sighter shot my spotter called no hit but i noticed the position next to me's target when down. I looked at my buddy and bet him a six pack i could hit an eight or better. adjusted for the wind on the competitors target, aimed one target to my left and squeezed off a round. Nine at two oclock and a free six pack. sometimes you get lucky.

On holiday in California I got the chance to shoot my friends .44 mag pistol.
I just wanted 1 shot to see what the recoil was like,nether shot a .44 mag pistol before.
We were on the 100 yard rifle range,and the other guys were shooting 4inch metal spinner targets with there rifles.
I asked the guys if it was ok if I could take a shot,did bit of Kentucky windage and pulled the trigger.
Twank I hit the plate,there was a silence at the range.
I gave my friend his pistol back,and said 'that a nice pistol'.
And quickly left the range,trying hide the big smile one my face.
Pistols banned in the uk.
Priceless.

Reactions: hankpac and Bender

Many years ago, when I still had a Mini14 infection, my brothers and I had driven out to the desert to shoot rabbits. No sooner had I gotten out of the truck, a small rabbit took off running from about ten feet away running to my right. I hadn't even unfolded my stock, so I just instinctively dropped the bolt catch and "hip shot" as the rabbit ran behind a cedar tree trunk. To my surprise, the bullet went right through the trunk and hit the rabbit somewhere near the base of the skull, his corpse rolled and wiggled to a stop. We looked for a while, but his head was never located.

In the Black Hills couple years ago with a friend doing some "armed hiking" one morning. Sitting on a point looking up a a box canyon, spotted a rock that appeared to be about the size if a footstool shining in the morning sun. He's carrying a 7x57 Mauser, Mitchell special. We set up the shot, I tell him he has to eyeball the range, he does, ramps the sight on the Mauser. I'm behind him spotting, 10x50 Bruntons. From sitting he touches one off. I follow the trace in.....ROCK DUST!
Out comes the range finder....837 yards!!!
We finish the morning hike at "The Rock". It was a bit larger than a footstool. It was prolly 30"x30".
But still one HELLUVA shot!

While waiting for my helper to finish planting a corn field, I spotted a baby fox at 575 yards. I figured I would scare it with a POF AR .223 with 60 grain VMAXs. Ended up hitting it about 8 inches behind its lungs. Had to finish it off, but was surprised I hit it. Was resting the rifle on top of a fence post when I shot it.

Almost forgot got a goose with a .308 Rem 700 LTR at 200 yards, 15 feet in the air.

Reactions: TripleBull

My buddy and I like to take our .22's to the max and shoot 8" steel plates at about 350 yards. Set up a 14" steel plate at 500 yards for fun and on his fourth shot "ping" about 1" from dead center with a bolt Savage .22.

When I was 12 I went hunting with my crossman bb gun, I run up on a rabbit.it startled me more than I startled it. I did a quick hip shot at it and got a behind the ear.

While hunting a great spot next to a private lake with ducks and geese, I popped up from a layout blind and cranked one goose hard with BBB but despite the goose's feathers falling all over the place he beat wings and shot way up with the rest of his flock and headed out over the lake. Three of us watched as this gaggle went a good 200yrds and at least that in elevation out over the lake. I was like "WTF?" when suddenly my goose just folded up and fell straight out of the sky and directly in to a huge flock of ducks just chilling on the water. Ducks went everywhere and freaked out everything on the water. I know it's not great shot story but its a pretty damn funny course of events based on one shot.

I was shooting one of my agency's 308s at 110 yds one afternoon when a bumble bee kept hovering over one of the yellow and black target dots on my target. I started tracking him, hoping to shoot him "on the move" but he kept changing directions and it was just about impossible.
He finally made a mistake and touched down for a moment, so I squeezed off a shot. I didn't see him after the shot so I figured I'd scared him off. When I checked my target there was a nice 308 hole surrounded by a yellow smear of gunk and part of a wing.
smile.gif

Another time my brother and I were shooting clay pigeons with our shotguns. He wanted to see if I could hit one with my pistol so...
I shot a clay pigeon out of the air with a Sig 220 on my 3rd attempt. I holstered up and called it a day.

I was in a comp where we were shooting green pop-up UKD Ivans that were computer controlled and scored. I estimated the distance completely wrong. I thought it was 400yds when it was 600 yds. I saw the bullet hit about 100 yds before the target and then it tumbled in a straight line leaving a trail of dust until it bounced up and knocked over the green Ivan. Hit! Not the highest percentage way to get a hit but I'll take it anyway I can get it
smile.gif

A number of years back my brother and I were deer hunting with 12 ga slugs in smoothbore shotguns (since that's all that's legal during rifle season in our area). My brother spotted a buck facing us about 50 yards out, took aim, fired, and the buck dropped....stone cold dead before it hit the ground. As we examined the deer, I was unable to find any entry/exit wound. As I was starting to think that maybe the shot gave the thing a heart attack, my brother found the entry wound...through its nose. The slug went in through the nose, down through the neck and into the heart/lung area. The best part being that it didn't ruin hardly any meat. Not quite as impressive as some of the shots mentioned on here, but I think its still pretty damn good for a shotgun slug with no rifling.

In my youth in Nebraska I was lying in a pasture on the edge of a prairie dog town with my Marlin .22lr and 4x scope, waiting for a particular dog about 60 yards out to stop moving. When he finally stopped on top of his mound and stood straight up, I took the shot aiming center mass. I had a 100yd zero and I hit a couple inches high, clipping him through the neck, he fell instantly, and as he was falling, another dog stood up out of the edge of it's hole directly behind the first, though slightly down hill about 150 yd away. I watched in amazement as the round impacted his gut and he rolled over and started kicking, bleeding everywhere.

I thought I was God's gift to hunting for the next several weeks
smile.gif

I always throw a couple of slugs at the 200 yard gong (18") with my handguns off-hand with about a 7% success rate. I was plinking with my springfield gi .45 1911a1. I thought i would throw some lead at the gong one-handed using the wwII trained pistol stance (shoulders in line with target) i didn't see where the first shot went but the second hit it dead center as it only rings on dead center hits because it is bolted to an I-beam.

During one of our neighborhood BB Gun battles as a kid , I was getting my Daisy red ryder ass handed to me by one of the kids who just got a semi-auto 10shot CO2 Crossman , he was hiding behind the tin barn and no one could get to him ....he thought he was big shit and had us looking like we all had the chickenpox from all the welps ...
I had enough ..went inside the house got my Dad's Sheridan Pumpup .22 and drilled that sucker thru the Tin right in the back...he screamed like a little bitch and ran home ....they had to take him in and get the pellet cut out....I got my Ass Whupped ;-)

Shot a guy in the gonads with a bean bag round from 25 yards while we both were running. He hit the ground and skidded about 10 feet like he was diving for home plate. After he was cuffed I told him, "You're out!"

My buddy was bragging how well his rifle was shooting. 3/4" 3 shot groups. I asked him to pick which one of his bullet holes he wanted me to fill 1st , 2nd and 3rd. The rest was history and luck!

At Manatee gun club, I was taking some friends shooting that have never shot long range, got 3 on the spotting scopes/binos to look at a 6" swinger at 1000 yards.

Cold rifle 308 Rem 5R, first shot of the day 12mph winds hit that fucker dead center on my first shot!!!

I have never done that before on such a small target. I did not shoot anymore that day at 1000 so I would not make a fool of myself!!

I was doing some shooting with a buddy here in AK. It was a warm (AK warm) day where there was residual snow on the hill in the back of the range but was warm enough for Tshirts, and in the sun where the targets were we had a few flies landing on the target papers we had stapled up.

I was shooting a rem 700 in 17 rem with a weaver V16, and the rifle is a hell of a shooter, .5 moa groups are pretty common at the 100yd mark from the bench. I said Im going to drill this fly, and he was like yeah right.

Pow, I said I drilled it!, he calls bullshit. So we walk down and I show him the little splat on the target around the .17 cal hole, which he still calls bullshit. So I look down on the snow below the target and there lies a fly, I picked it up by the wing and hold it up in front of his face and it kicks its legs, with no head.

I said " I must of pulled that one cuz I was aiming center mass" he says FUCK OFF!!! NO WAY!!"

Too funny.

This is my little story.

July/August last year, I attended the WRABF World Championships in Summerville, SC. This World Champs is shot with 22LR benchrest rifles and air rifles adapted to benchrest.

A couple of us Aussies arrived at Summerville a few days earlier than the rest of the team, so decided to find the Palmetto range. Upon our arrival, it was nearly deserted, bar the Contest Director and a local sighting in a couple of his rifles.

Not seeing an AR before (note that in Australia, civies generally aren't allowed to own an AR15 *sigh*), I was curious, so decided to amble over to the guy, who was playing with his AR.

It was accurised for competition use, with a heavy barrel and such, and he graciously allowed me to put a magazine through it at 200 yards.

His rifle had an ACOG sight, so I could only just see the rounds hit at 200 yards, but I got them all on paper.

Once that was done, he asked me whether I'd like to have a shot of his .308WIN R700. Sure!

He only had three rounds left. The rifle felt weird, the bipod was very short, so I was unable to load it up, and decided to just suck it and see.

He'd previously sighted it in to 600 yards, so he instructed me to shoot at a steel plate hanging off the 600 yard target frame. The morning air was very thick and humid, with the temperature around about 40 degrees C.

So I lined up the 600 yard plate, fired, and watched the shot go downrange for that sweet DING!. It was on elevation, but towards the left side of the target.

Racked another round, same result but smacked the centre.

Racked the final round, same result as the first round.

Three shots for three hits.

This guy was scratching his head wondering where in the hell this Aussie girl came from. He was visibly impressed, and said that he would have to rethink selling the rifle!

My shooting is not that impressive, but I've always been a fan of shooting the clothespins that hold a target to the backer where I'm at. It's an entertaining way to impress friends who've not been shooting before; you teach them and let them loose with a few rounds, and after a bit, when it's time to pack it in, I usually put them on the spotting scope, and put a round through a clothespin. I buy a bulk bag and clean em up, so the range doesn't mind, and I usually get this drop-jaw look from whoever I bring.

Turtle dove flying with a wiffle ball

Not sure it could be called a crazy shot but was entertaining. We got a bit bored with just hitting steel yesterday and my buddy had put together what some call a SP but is a rifle action in a cut down Choate stock with enough barrel to keep it all a legal rifle. He was experimenting with different bags and seeing how it shot compared to our regular 15" barreled LR pistols we compete with. It was so easy it got rediculous... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNtDajTMydc

Topstrap

I once threw a tennis ball for my Gordon Setter to retrieve-Ball flew high into a large oak tree. Seconds later a dead pidgeon fell from the tree. Shook my head and walked home.....

I shot a 3" group at 720 yds on a steel plate with my Gradous-built 6.5L three weeks ago-This is the pinnacle of my shooting experiences. Going back to try it again tomorrow.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
How I (accidentially) shot a robin

Speaking of golf, way back when I was in high school, about 40 years ago, I was playing a 540yd uphill par 5. Nice drive, about 285-290 down the left but still in the fairway putting me in range of the green but with one small problem - a small apple tree on the knoll directly between me and the green - too close to go over with a 3-wood. Choices: over the tree with a 5 iron and be way short of the green, or go with the 3-wood between the knoll and the lowest branch of the tree, about a five foot gap.

Being young and stupid, and having never been on that green in 2 shots, the decision was easy - go for it - 3-wood! Made great contact, but the ball came off the club just a smidge high. I expected to hear the crack sound of ball on bark, but to my surprise - thud. Thinking, WTF I grabbed the clubs and hoofed it (golf was all walking back then) toward the green.

About 20 yards past the tree I came upon a gruesome scene - fresh pieces of robin strewn in the fairway. (He must have been perched on that bottom limb and I didn't see him.) Ugh, I felt very sorry for the robin. But continuing up the hill toward the green, not knowing where my ball might be, I saw it, right on line to the hole about 20 yards short.

It was a "perfect" shot, slowed just enough and ruined by that robin! I'm sure it would have been right on the green if it weren't for the "thud" of the robin strike. To this day I've still never made it on that green in 2 shots.

Re: How I (accidentially) shot a robin

Went to Rhode Island for vacation one summer and stayed at a college buddies home whom was an avid golfer. It was my very first time playing golf, or even swinging a club for that matter. We went to the local 9-hole course and I'm using one of those beat up rental sets, you know, driver, 3-wood, 3,5,7,9, putter.

Anyhow, we were paired up with a couple older guys that seemed like they knew what they were doing. The 1st hole was a par 5, about 540 yd and I got up on the tee and absolutely murdered one, right down the middle. I proceeded to crush my 2nd shot with the 3-wood, putting it on the green in two. These two older dudes are looking at each other like, "Who the f--ck is this guy?". Anyhow, to make a long story short, I then proceeded to 8-putt (that's right <span style="text-decoration: underline">8-putt</span>) my very first green for a 5-over par "10". The old dudes were breathing a lot easier after that. Ended up with a 68 for nine my first time out. True story.

Shooting prairie dogs

Shooting a hodge podge of one off hand loads I fired about 40 rds at one PD only a few hundred yds. It was like he was protected by god. Then I said this is my last shot a 55gr fmjbt and it hit just right and sent the head flying 15yds.

Same day I grabbed into the bag and pulled out a FMJBT and aimed at 4 in a row and got three.

I took a shot and Grandpa just started laughing. All I could see was feathers about half way down range. Apparently a bird flew into the bullet.

Shooting a BB gun

When I was maybe 12 I took a snap shot at a bird on a pole maybe 35yds away hitting and dropping it. I do not even remember seeing the sights when pulled the trigger.

Coyote

I fired at a coyote that I could only see maybe one inch of its back while it was behind a very low hill. I aimed where I thought its head was and fired. The bullet hit it in the guts perfectly.

Back when I had a 50bmg I coyote walked into the area where we were shooting and Grandpa said take a shot at him. So I took my best guess and fired. The round landed way short but bounced right into the coyote. From the carnage I think the bullet hit sideways.

My buddy took a shot at a crow flying over 30 years ago. I am guessing well over 100 yards away with a 16 guage and it dropped. Wounded but not killed. I would not have beleived it if I had not seen it my self.

Me and a buddy was shooting turtles in a swamp one morning with our 22 mags lo and behold two crows fly over and he throwes up to shoot. My smart mouth says you aint gone hit that thing and bang down one went. He rackes another shell in his gun and aims for the other as it turns around do check out his buddy. Bang, the other falls out of the sky. Was the luckiest thing.

Ok here are a few of mine...in Idaho we don't have Prarie dogs, they are ground squirrels and pretty tiny compared to rock chucks and such. Was walking along with my AR and had my 9mm with hollow points loaded in case I stirred up a badger. Stopped to scan for a "whistle pig" and out of the corner of my eye, see some movement.

I looked down and 2 feet from me is a fat one staring at me. I stare back. We lock eyes and I know there is no time for me to swing my AR from my left hand up and on target before he goes down the hole. Without even aiming I pull my handgun and shoot, one handed. Don't see anything so I walk over and there is a single leg and a tail twitching and a bunch of red mist in the dust! Guess those hollow points worked.

The other one was just funny, had a friend that was a black belt in some martial art and he flicked a quarter across the room hard, trying to nail me. I caught it right before it hit my chest and then with the same hand flicked it right back and bounced it off his forehead. We laughed so hard about that one!

Wow, some pretty crazy stories!

I suppose my most amazing one, to me, was when I was 15 shooting a Marlin 60 with irons at a crow at about 75 yards. The first shot missed and actually hit the reed it was perched on. It took flight and I quickly pulled a second shot and got him mid flight about 2-3 feet right of the reed.

My buddy, he was pretty amazed, and it was good having a witness because nobody believed it. I've done some cool trick shots and such, but those were planned and done with practice; the crow shot was totally off the cuff and I was still young.

Oh, and once I put 5 out of 7 shots from a 6" 686+ .357 using irons firing handloaded 140gr. XTP's single action into a military steel silhouette at 300m standing. That was pretty cool, and it was inspired by another fellow firing his .40 USP at a similar size target at 200m the week or so before.

Here is my contribution. Mine happened when I was on the rifle range in boot camp on Parris Island in 1996. I figured since I have been shooting since I was 10 that I did not need to listen to the PMI’s. I couldn’t have been more wrong. On pre-qual day I shot something like a 100 (which was like hitting the target 5 times out of 50 rounds or something like that). So I took the advice of the PMI after I shot that day and put it to use on qual day. The first 4 rounds were center mass. The fifth round knocked out the shot spotter from the shot before. 2 shots, same hole, M16a2 aperture and front sight post, from 200 yards sitting. I turned around and told the PMI that today was going to be a good day. He said “turn around, shut up and shoot before they kick you off the range for being dumb ass”. I qualified expert that day and every other time I was on the range in the Marines. The recruit that had the rack above me was pulling butts that day for me and jumped down and got the plastic piece that I hit. I sent it home and about 5 years ago my mom put it, along with the letter that I sent home with it in a shadow box. It’s been hanging on my wall ever since.
7362687256_e0cd7abd86_b.jpg