• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creepy Guy at Work...

HodgdonExtreme

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2014
KHSV
I work in a technical office for a fairly large corporation. We take on engineering interns. One of those interns is the subject of this thread.

This student intern is at the office in 3 month stints, alternating between school and work every three months. Currently, he's here for his 3rd or 4th stint. This guy is creepy. Everyone thinks so. It's not just how he looks, though his appearance doesn't help any. He is an intelligent guy, but has zero social skills. Of my co-workers I feel comfortable with enough to speak candidly, all think he's the "school shooter" or "office shooter".

When you read interviews of classmates and fellow office workers after a shooting, and they describe "the guy", they're basically describing this individual.

This guy is detached. Sometimes you'll see him outside in the smoking area (though he doesn't smoke) daydreaming, staring off into space. If you say hello, he doesn't respond.

We had a morale event where everyone in the office went to the park for an afternoon picnic - he sat by himself in the pavilion, staring off into space. Ignored invitations to play volleyball, throw frisbees etc etc.

I get the creeps when I see him walk by, and it's not just me. It's my understanding his behavior has been brought up to HR, but they don't acknowledge it as a problem. He shows up on time and does the work asked of him, and "he's creepy" apparently isn't a sound reason to terminate an employee.

Each time he comes back to the office, he is placed in a different department so he get's diverse experience. As the personnel in each department get their chance to work with him, the list of people creeped out by him grows.

Don't know the purpose of this thread, just ranting I, I guess. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I also mentor interns in my profession. I have ran across a few similar to this but I believe it could be due to the new work environment setting that interns are exposed to. The younger they are, the more hands-on help they need initially.

When I was an intern as a teenager, moving to a corporate setting was quite a shock from the university setting and being around your peers. Prior to that, I was working in pizza places and it was quite intimidating at times since most of the skill sets I was exposed to in college were very different than what is valued in corporate america.

Could be be a bit aspergers?

If so he's probably been socially awkward then picked on, therefor a bit more withdrawn. I'm not saying he isn't "that guy", but there may be an innocent explanation.

Could be be a bit aspergers?

If so he's probably been socially awkward then picked on, therefor a bit more withdrawn. I'm not saying he isn't "that guy", but there may be an innocent explanation.

that's what it sounds like to me.

Make the people in HR watch the film Rubberneck...

No, seriously, until he violates some policy, you ain't got a move to make. He has a right to not play frizbee, and I know I'm making light of what could be a dangerous situation, but until it is, then it ain't.

..... "he's creepy" apparently isn't a sound reason to terminate an employee.

This is a good thing. How many of us have colleagues who would consider the number of firearms owned and the amount of time spent on a gun forum by some / most of us as creepy?

Has anybody (with actual social skills/mature/psychological background) actually approached this individual, somewhat on the side, and blatantly told him that he makes many somewhat uncomfortable. Extend him an offer/directive that they'd appreciate a "one-on-one" over a drink/coffee just simply to 'break the ice' or whatever? His future in the field is somewhat at stake here, not to mention his 'future' in itself.

Point is, it seems that nobody knows anything about the guy (and he has a right to privacy) but at the same time,,,, nobody knows what his background is. He may not have been socialized as a child and simply doesn't know what to do in public. Take that for what it's worth.... but remember too "who's teaching our kids" nowadays.... and for how long has this been happening.

Parenting today ain't like it used to be, nor like it should be anymore. If he has any issues such as Aspergers or whatever,,,, compound that with whatever guidance (or lack thereof) and take the step forward.

In crowds today, it seems that the 'simplest' of social courtesies don't exist anymore. Common sense is as rare as common courtesy as well.

I'm just saying......

And, as an individual... he's at least in a profession to which there's training involved, as opposed to being a welfare recipient. So at least he has the start of ambition and goalsetting down pat. Build from there.

fwiw.....

The closest thing I've ever had to an office job was on a Federal Task Force.

We had a new agent show up who had filed suit to get his job after being denied employment. He did NOT fit in and was a shit bird. His training officer did a shit ton of paperwork documenting why he was unfit for duty so he filed suit again claiming he was being picked on and filed a grievance against a co-worker who never even spoke to him and wrecked that guy's career. He was THAT guy but thanks to politics and litigation they had to keep him.

He was eventually caught committing gross misconduct and the boss was able to get rid of him. He was placed on a "watch list" at our building as a security risk and was considered a legitimate "active shooter" threat. The Feds' HR folks threw a fit about the watch list and wanted it rescinded for fear of MORE litigation.

The guy ended up killing his wife, setting the house on fire, and killing himself as officers arrived.

Everyone was right about that guy being a fucking LOON, and of course the HR dipshits were clueless.

If you can do so discretely, I'd recommend following your gut and carrying while at work. I'd also recommend pushing the issue with HR with as many co-workers as you can get to make sure they know that y'all feel unsafe in your workplace. "I told you so" doesn't put blood back into bleeding co-workers if it ends up going sideways.

Just my opinion having dealt with a true lunatic co-worker:

Suspicious Blaze Near Furman Ruled Homicide/Suicide : Greenville Dragnet

That's just the first story I came to on google, there was a bit more coverage right after it happened.

* * * When you read interviews of classmates and fellow office workers after a shooting, and they describe "that guy", they're basically describing this individual.

This guy is detached. Sometimes you'll see him outside in the smoking area (though he doesn't smoke) daydreaming, staring off into space. If you say hello, he doesn't respond.

We had a morale event where everyone in the office went to the park for an afternoon picnic - he sat by himself in the pavilion, staring off into space. Ignored invitations to play volleyball, throw frisbees, etc., etc.

What you've clearly described is a shape-shifting Klingon. He looks like us but acts like, well, what he really is ...

Now, either shoot the alien or call the Men in Black and let them do it. :cool:

This is a good thing. How many of us have colleagues who would consider the number of firearms owned and the amount of time spent on a gun forum by some / most of us as creepy?

You're 100% correct. I didn't mean it the way it sounded; poor communication on my part.

This is an opportunity to turn any anti-gunners in the office to our side....

Make hay...

I think we've all got someone like that at school or work. Sometimes they may actually be unstable and potentially pose a threat at one point but I think the majority of them are harmless and are that way because they have always been looked at as "that guy".

That Guy - Video Clip | Comedy Central

**Tried but couldn't get it to embed as a video on this page, only as a hyperlink.

I dont see or hear a problem at all. Maybe he feels like the guy in office space and the rest of you worker bees are the creeps to him. Seriously some people got alot of things in their life. And maybe not trying to take on new friends at the work place. Nothing wrong with that.

Make friends with him & ask him to give you a 5 minute warning when he feels realllly bad

Trauma1

I dont see or hear a problem at all. Maybe he feels like the guy in office space and the rest of you worker bees are the creeps to him. Seriously some people got alot of things in their life. And maybe not trying to take on new friends at the work place. Nothing wrong with that.

No shit. The guy is on time and does his work but he needs everyone else to find his appearance and social skills "acceptable". Leave the guy alone and do your fucking job and worry about how much of a pussy you look like by starting this Dear Abbey thread on a gun forum.

No shit. The guy is on time and does his work but he needs everyone else to find his appearance and social skills "acceptable". Leave the guy alone and do your fucking job and worry about how much of a pussy you look like by starting this Dear Abbey thread on a gun forum.

[/thread]

In reality he probally has his friends from school and talks about the nimrods he has to intern with. I wonder how that hr conversation went.
Gossip queens: that guy scares me. He won't talk to me. (Boo hoo)
Hr: so what. He comes on time to learn the ropes and works. Cant say the same with some of you that find the time to gossip around the water cooler wasting companies work minutes/hours.

Just remeber every crazy shooter at school or workplace were driven over the edge by outside forces and couldn't handle or take it anymore. Unfortunately yes it happens. But instead try a different approach be nice be kind or leave him alone if that's what he wants.

As an engineer, I went to school with a lot of weirdos but the very weird creepy ones never made it past the first semester.

There's a reason your alarm bells are going off so pay attention to them. I'd say just be nice to him, and maybe he won't shoot you while he's blasting everyone else. Might get some body armor to stash in your desk so you at least can make a run for it.

Just remeber every crazy shooter at school or workplace were driven over the edge by outside forces and couldn't handle or take it anymore.

Seriously? Outside forces drove them to act out insanely and become mass murderers?
I'm curious what you refer to as "outside forces?" I can answer that for you,,,,,the ADD or ADHD meds they're on, the violent video games they play and the "kill everyone" music they listen to. Oh, let's not forget the movies they watch that sensationalize murder. Add in their missing parents.
I don't think it's the people at work that " they're freaking out" over or that cause a negative influence that will "drive them over the edge!"

I agree with ya. No argument here. But lets not add fuel to the fire is all I'm saying. But one thing to note with what you stated is we don't know what the hell is going on upstairs or what will finally break them over the edge. The media doesn't potray what these people are influenced by. Instead they target the fact they used a weapon, in some cases a gun is used, which makes the responsible law abiding gun owners look bad to the general public. Which rallies the anti gun people against our cause. Labeling someone as "that guy" or "potential school/work place shooter" does nothing. Craziness is gonna happen. We can't prevent it. It's part of out nature. There is good and bad. But the people who are bad surely weren't supported properly in one way or the other. Maybe mom hugged him to much or not enough. Dad wasn't there to stomp their ass for doing the wrong so they get away with it and think its ok. Who knows, we can guess but dont really know

^^^ THIS EXACTLY.

Stop spreading hurtful rumors about other people by the water cooler like the town gossip.

Ever heard of Aspergers? Or the Autism spectrum? Or maybe, just maybe, he thinks you and you little gossip buddies are annoying and does whatever he can to avoid any interaction whatsoever with you and your sewing circle.

Personally OP I think you deserve to get your arse kicked, since you act like you're still in high school. I mean you could always MAN UP and talk to the guy about it, face to face, instead of gossiping about him behind his back like an adolescent girl.

Last edited:
At a minimum, you should carry at work if you are that worried about it... when that theatre got shot up in Colorado and all the anti-gunners saw their opportunity to cry for gun control, I wished there was at least one competent shooter with a carry permit in the theatre that coulda took that piece of $hit out and saved some lives.

Maybe the loner is just awkward and lacks the skills and/or self confidence to deal with others in the workplace. Someone has to make the first move to try to break through. If that fails and the loner is unwilling to consider that fact that his coworkers, in light of recent developments like the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre, are uncomfortable with his behavior, maybe you could help coworkers get armed, proficient, and carrying. We're all responsible for our own safety, since the police are minutes away when seconds count and the system currently has no effective way of dealing with time bombs like Adam Lanza.

Just my opinion, of course.

i love this thread. i ignore the people at work socially. period. its a job. All the time they do all this feel good HR bullshit where we go to lunches and teambuild. I ignore every person i can, stay my "required amount" and talk to the couple people i know like guns and shooting until i cant take it anymore. and we have to hide that so sensitive douches dont get all scared and tell HR we are talking about guns and kill ing people. And even more to the point, i stay as far away from the engineers as possible. what a bunch of ball sack motherfuckers they are.. Not all engineers, just ours... hahahahhahahah

YOU/OP are the DUDE that makes it so we cant BS becuase someone will be creeped out. Isn't there a dr phil episode you can go watch to calm your fears?

last point to be perfectly clear. maybe he is a loaner becuase he think y'all SUCK. He may be a party animal with his boyz and see's y'all as messed up. just sayin.

I am a little like the subject.

If I attend a meeting of folks I don't know or genuinely like - I want to sit in the back corner, near the exit, with a view of everything, by myself. It is not unusual for me to do something overt - contrarian to the crowd. I always wonder why people behave like sheep. I am sure there is an element that think I am a renegade asshole.

I am not big into small talk - don't get me wrong, I am THE master at it and you will think I am genuinely interested in you and your story. In fact we could talk about anything and everything for hours and I would ask you a litany of intelligent and relevant questions that draw you out and detail your interest. You will know nothing about me at the end of the time period.

Moreover, I don't particularly see the need to make small talk with someone simply b/c we share the same general proximity for a brief period of time. Social niceties are more about making those who can not entertain themselves feel comfortable. I am not anyone's soothsayer. However, b/c I am a gentleman and do not intentionally mean to make people uncomfortable I will engage in small talk if it is the only way to put a woman / older man at ease. In general I try do something more gentile that demonstrates that I have grace, but am merely preoccupied - such as giving up my seat for a woman or an elderly person, holding doors - extending physical courtesies. You would be amazed what a smile can accomplish.

Detached? Funny, I'll just be more frank - I lack a certain capacity for empathy.

I would LOATHE an office 'event' with spirit building. A fantastically better use of our time - how about an event where we talk about Why civility may be rightfully suspended if you don't learn to get other people their shit, on time and correctly? The punchline - the company makes more widgets and everyone gets along just fuckin peachy - cuz their making money, with less bullshit.

None of these things make me / or anyone else like this a bad person. It means contrived is not organic. Forced is not voluntary.

Believe it or don't, I get along just fine in this world. Most of my friends are just like me. While quiet about it, I am sure there are folks out there that are not fans, but the vast majority accept my 'quirks' and look past that in business b/c of my integrity and commitment to the optimum outcome

As for this gentleman? Maybe he doesn't say 'hi' because he is hard of hearing / maybe he is extremely introverted / maybe because he really IS smarter than all of you and is thinking about the next revolution of the wheel / maybe he is gonna need a face man to sling that shit to a money man / maybe the best thing to do is engage him multiple times over the course of a few weeks and see if you can get a bearing on him.

Last edited:
He's probably intellectually superior to all his co-workers and keeps to himself so no one is embarrassed.

Having been in a position to hire Engineering students as interns, I would always call the Department Chairman for the Mechanical Engineering department and ask him to send his best students my way, and we hired a number of them. The University established a position for a person at the University to manage the interns, getting them placed with companies etc.

Someone at your business established a need for an intern. Somehow they interfaced with his school, and the guy's resume was looked over by someone at your business who gave the go-ahead to bring him on. If you can find that person in your company, then you could discreetly voice your thoughts. Interns are considered to be probationary at best, and one of the goals of internships is to acclimate the students to the real world, and assess if they are hirable. You might also be able to get that person to inquire more about the intern at the school under the guise of showing interest in him for possible employment. Ask to talk to or get info from his professors etc. He could be just a nerdy Engineer in training, or the loser of the whole department, or somewhere in between.

There are a number of ways to gather info to access why he has no social skills. Somewhere in this loop, the person that brought him in and HR need to know that he creeps everyone the fuck out.

^^^^That's just sounds like a load of crap. You wanna snoop into his personal life to find out why he doesn't want to accept you into his life. Give me a break. People really need to stop being so fucking sensitive. The country is going downhill cause of sensitive babies who can't handle rejection. Men of yesterday were real men and today we have a bunch of sissies who might as well tuck their manhood between their legs. You sound like a stalker ex girlfriend wondering why he never called you back. Grow a pair. If the guy is smart and comes to work on time and spends his time working instead of gossiping like a little girl, id much rather have him work for me than some ass clown who thinks he is part of the "cool clique" and spends wasteful company resources gossiping. Snooping into someone's personal life is a reason to get punched in the face or worse.

Ill start worrying when dude shows up to work with satanic emblems and such until then it ain't your effing business.

Having been in a position to hire Engineering students as interns, I would always call the Department Chairman for the Mechanical Engineering department and ask him to send his best students my way, and we hired a number of them. The University established a position for a person at the University to manage the interns, getting them placed with companies etc.

Someone at your business established a need for an intern. Somehow they interfaced with his school, and the guy's resume was looked over by someone at your business who gave the go-ahead to bring him on. If you can find that person in your company, then you could discreetly voice your thoughts. Interns are considered to be probationary at best, and one of the goals of internships is to acclimate the students to the real world, and assess if they are hirable. You might also be able to get that person to inquire more about the intern at the school under the guise of showing interest in him for possible employment. Ask to talk to or get info from his professors etc. He could be just a nerdy Engineer in training, or the loser of the whole department, or somewhere in between.

There are a number of ways to gather info to access why he has no social skills. Somewhere in this loop, the person that brought him in and HR need to know that he creeps everyone the fuck out.

I dunno but this guy ^^ sounds much worse than the subject of this thread...

1505135_10153730323900319_2136762436_n.jpg

Could be be a bit Asperger's?

Eddie and Darkside are probably right.
I have personal knowledge about this affliction, and what you describes fits.
Don't be surprised if behind the social awkwardness is incredible intelligence.

I am a little like the subject.

If I attend a meeting of folks I don't know or genuinely like - I want to sit in the back corner, near the exit, with a view of everything, by myself. It is not unusual for me to do something overt - contrarian to the crowd. I always wonder why people behave like sheep. I am sure there is an element that think I am a renegade asshole.

I am not big into small talk - don't get me wrong, I am THE master at it and you will think I am genuinely interested in you and your story. In fact we could talk about anything and everything for hours and I would ask you a litany of intelligent and relevant questions that draw you out and detail your interest. You will know nothing about me at the end of the time period.

Moreover, I don't particularly see the need to make small talk with someone simply b/c we share the same general proximity for a brief period of time. Social niceties are more about making those who can not entertain themselves feel comfortable. I am not anyone's soothsayer. However, b/c I am a gentleman and do not intentionally mean to make people uncomfortable I will engage in small talk if it is the only way to put a woman / older man at ease. In general I try do something more gentile that demonstrates that I have grace, but am merely preoccupied - such as giving up my seat for a woman or an elderly person, holding doors - extending physical courtesies. You would be amazed what a smile can accomplish.

Detached? Funny, I'll just be more frank - I lack a certain capacity for empathy.

I would LOATHE an office 'event' with spirit building. A fantastically better use of our time - how about an event where we talk about Why civility may be rightfully suspended if you don't learn to get other people their shit, on time and correctly? The punchline - the company makes more widgets and everyone gets along just fuckin peachy - cuz their making money, with less bullshit.

None of these things make me / or anyone else like this a bad person. It means contrived is not organic. Forced is not voluntary.

Believe it or don't, I get along just fine in this world. Most of my friends are just like me. While quiet about it, I am sure there are folks out there that are not fans, but the vast majority accept my 'quirks' and look past that in business b/c of my integrity and commitment to the optimum outcome

As for this gentleman? Maybe he doesn't say 'hi' because he is hard of hearing / maybe he is extremely introverted / maybe because he really IS smarter than all of you and is thinking about the next revolution of the wheel / maybe he is gonna need a face man to sling that shit to a money man / maybe the best thing to do is engage him multiple times over the course of a few weeks and see if you can get a bearing on him.

A-Fuckin-Men

For those unaware of aspergers, watch the big bang theory. Sheldon plays it well.

For the record. I think I have it to some extent, I don't make friends easily because I don't have all of the subtle social clues nailed down. I have a small group of friends, but chuck me in a room of strangers and I'll probably be left out by most of you. I'd probably come accross as "that man", although as the guy above said, I can hide it if I want. I'd prefer to be on my phone gaining some (to me) interesting, but useless stuff than talk to people, and face rejection. I'm studying to be a doctor, I enjoy this course because there are loads like me on the course.

Remember that next time you act like a paranoid girl, your doctor who you trust with your life in his office, you'd fear in your office for the very reasons that made him your Dr.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A-Fuckin-Men

x3

Asperger's is an extreme diagnosis, but it's probably introversion in the best sense or social anxiety in the worst. You're probably not hiring very good engineers if you haven't seen it before.

If it is anxiety, you can make an ally by reaching out and befriending him, and really do the world a favor by helping to ease someone's suffering.

Otherwise, the guy's I really worry about are the people like the OP, who as soon as someone decides to maintain a bit of autonomy and dignity, gets his reputation trashed with the nastiest of rumors. I've met a couple people like OP throughout my short professional career who I knew I wasn't going to be buddy-buddy with. It was effectively saying, I see you as a coworker and not a friend, so let's keep things professional. This really pisses off a certain type of person.

I'm that guy.I think I'm normal.Anybody not like me is to be avoided.My wife says I have Aspergers. She 's clueless. I had friends, but they all died.Do not want or need more. Most people are stupid and very difficult to deal with. I carry a gun. Stay away from me.

My wife and I befriended a young guy who had Aspergers, moved next door with his mother from California when he was 18. The kid was different, a loner, had a hard time finding and keeping a job. In all honesty, IMO the kid never stood a chance from birth, his mother had to be one of the most ignorant cunts I've ever come across, fuck. He had a hard time finding friends also, but he found me!

The guy who referenced "Sheldon", wow, spot on, once I was in, carrying on a conversation was next to impossible, always referencing something, usually off the wall. Then I started feeding him beer, thinking that would make things more tolerable, wrong.
He finally got his drivers license at 19 1/2, and moved out, with my help and pickup, of coarse. This was the highest maintenance relationship I've ever been involved in.
Thank the lord, mom left town and took him with.

I'd be leery today befriending a social retard, or someone diagnosed, unless you have the time, dedication, or whatever to see it through. At my age, time is my most precious resource, and not just anyone is going to get it.

We had an intern that was pegged as being the one to shoot up the place. Being in IT I kind of get to go anywhere in the building and got to talk to him on the shop floor a few times. He was an odd duck very odd but what this engineering coop wanted was to be left alone. He liked projects where he could do the work and not have to talk to anyone.

I told his boss and she talked to him and he was the first and only coop to get to work third shift. The guy actually got more done than the next two or three in line.

I think the OP will need to get his sphincter downsized after the reaming he's gotten here. Maybe a bit of alum would help.

My wife and I befriended a young guy who had Aspergers, moved next door with his mother from California when he was 18. The kid was different, a loner, had a hard time finding and keeping a job. In all honesty, IMO the kid never stood a chance from birth, his mother had to be one of the most ignorant cunts I've ever come across, fuck. He had a hard time finding friends also, but he found me!

Early intervention is key to treating Asperger's. (There are many, many different levels from almost homebound to high functioning.) The earlier it is cause, the better the boy has a chance of success.
Thanks for taking the time with your neighbor. He may not be able to thank you, but it is appreciated.

This is kind of a bipolar situation. If the op and his buds at work are just picking on some guy who is a little different and just wants to be left alone, then they ought to just leave him alone. But, suppose their concerns turn out to be justified, and a lot of people get killed because they respected his desire to be left alone?

Here is my {tongue in cheek} proposal. Befriend him. Confess your own anti social ideas. Share your plan to shoot up the place. See if he turns you in or if he wants to join you.

The good news is that most people (Asperger's or not) are generally non-violent. As such I would keep a watchful eye on the guy, carry both a gun and a blowout kit at work, and make every attempt to be diplomatic with him as possible. Attempt to develop some kind or working relationship with the guy, even if its just small talk over the water cooler. This may help immensely, it will also give you data to work with. Listen to what he talks about, if its benign stuff, chances are he is just a weird fellow. If he says anything that sounds violent or dangerous, just report it to HR. I believe the adage "speak softly and carry a big stick" is applicable here.

Hell this is nothing. Worked with a guy once that would watch who came into the lunchroom. He would make a gun with thumb and forefinger and "shoot" certain people. He didnt last long.....

Oh, an awkward engineer. Color me surprised.

Seriously though, someone who skews towards the aspergers/autism spectrum, would have a really difficult time seeming "normal" in almost any social situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is kind of a bipolar situation. If the op and his buds at work are just picking on some guy who is a little different and just wants to be left alone, then they ought to just leave him alone. But, suppose their concerns turn out to be justified, and a lot of people get killed because they respected his desire to be left alone?

Here is my {tongue in cheek} proposal. Befriend him. Confess your own anti social ideas. Share your plan to shoot up the place. See if he turns you in or if he wants to join you.
fucking epic

This is a great thread. The entire range of thought, prejudice, knowledge, reasoning and humor.

I am as worried about the socially skilled who are perfectly happy to f*&k everything in sight. Physically, financially and socially, as long as its to their advantage. Pol*&^cans come to mind.

And my popcorn is running low.