• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Crescent customs updates?

carbontiger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
Hey all, I've got a receiver and barrel over with Moon to be chambered and whatnot and am in a bit of a conundrum. I had previously been told that it would be done end of june/early july but havent heard anything from him at all.

Contacting him seems to be a fruitless endeavor as I havent gotten replies to either emails or calls (voice mail left). I do know he's a one man shop and busy with a ton of other builds more than likely, but I haven't had communication with him in 4 weeks at this point.

Anyone familiar with the going ons of crescent custom recently?

Can’t speak of recent recent but he takes a while man, he took a while when he built my rig. I wouldn’t worry a bit, just know he takes time.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
He built a 243 for me a few years back, and it did take a while. But his work was top notch, and the rifle shot lights out.

Reactions: ChadLSexton
Same here with the rifle that he built me. It's a hammer but aggravating as hell to get in touch with. Find some patience and then find some more.👍
Great guy though.

I got in contact with him a little but ago. Had some family stuff come up but did tell me I would have the rifle by next week. So here's to hoping

Yeah, I would trust him. Let us know how you like your build once you get it op.

Yeah, I would trust him. Let us know how you like your build once you get it op.
With how much I've seen him praised here for building absolutely impressive setups I'm almost completely positive given the materials he will put out the best it can be

I second all of the positive comments about Moon. Build several custom rifles for me.

Remember answering phone calls, texts and emails increases turnaround time. Can't have it both ways.

Reactions: RTH1800
I second all of the positive comments about Moon. Build several custom rifles for me.

Remember answering phone calls, texts and emails increases turnaround time. Can't have it both ways.
Oh yeah I totally agree and understand that swords cuts both ways from a customer standpoint especially since it's just him. It just got a little worrying when I hadn't been able to contact him for a solid month and was two weeks beyond quoted finish time

@carbontiger for future reference, a quoted delivery date is just a best estimate. Shit happens, the supply chain gets fucked up (Chinese virus) family emergency or illness. While the outlay may be in the thousands, a little patience goes a long ways, particularly with a small or large operation. Yes communications could likely be better by some... My humble opinion.

@carbontiger for future reference, a quoted delivery date is just a best estimate. Shit happens, the supply chain gets fucked up (Chinese virus) family emergency or illness. While the outlay may be in the thousands, a little patience goes a long ways, particularly with a small or large operation. Yes communications could likely be better by some... My humble opinion.
Oh I know stuff happens, that's what I've been getting at and I know a quote time is an estimate. The original post was if anyone at the time had any knowings if things were still good with him since I personally couldn't get in contact with him myself

Any shop, business whether it is 1 man or 1000 man can take an hour a day or a few hours per week to respond to customers. There is literally zero excuse to not respond to people unless you are dead or in the hospital.

Any shop, business whether it is 1 man or 1000 man can take an hour a day or a few hours per week to respond to customers. There is literally zero excuse to not respond to people unless you are dead or in the hospital.
Truth be told....those two scenarios were what I was worried about the most

Why do people still go to smiths who take 4-10 months to turn around a barreled action. Blows my mind.
I would be big worried if a smith could turn around a barreled action in a month. If you are good you have a lot of business. If you are mediocre you have
fast turnaround.

In addition I remember Moon saying he was waiting on 25 stocks from Manners. Want a hot product like the TCS you are going to wait.

Fair enough if you are a professional shooting and need gear to compete but then I presume you think ahead.

Also fair enough if you have a deposit of $2000 and it is your first time dealing with Crescent Customs. However after three years and many conversations I can vouch 110% for Moon's integrity. I have learned to ask about the estimated turnaround time and then politely inquire when that time arrives.

Reactions: DIBBS
Moon is awesome,

But the days of waiting are over, most are doing this work on a CNC, they spin barrels fast... it's not done on a lathe anymore.

Custom Actions like most are using should require very little work, if you can't spin up a barrel in a day, wtf. nobody is building off a factory action that needs to be trued and worked on, most get overpriced custom ones, if you have to wrench on it, you wasted your money.

My last 3 barreled actions were turned around in 2 weeks from order to delivery, the biggest wait was for me to be in town. MHSA is doing barrels every single day, I drop off my stuff and before I know I get a call.

It's not 1998, the age of waiting is over, sure if you have a specific part that is backordered like a stock, but the rest if in hand should be no more than the time it takes to get to the front of the line. We are dropping in actions to chassis most of the time what labor is required there?

Time is not an indicator of quality today, but time can be an indicator of poor job management, not saying that is Moon, and covid has changed a certain dynamic, but let's be realistic here. Nobody should be waiting for months on type of work in 2020.

Moon is awesome,

But the days of waiting are over, most are doing this work on a CNC, they spin barrels fast... it's not done on a lathe anymore.

Custom Actions like most are using should require very little work, if you can't spin up a barrel in a day, wtf. nobody is building off a factory action that needs to be trued and worked on, most get overpriced custom ones, if you have to wrench on it, you wasted your money.

My last 3 barreled actions were turned around in 2 weeks from order to delivery, the biggest wait was for me to be in town. MHSA is doing barrels every single day, I drop off my stuff and before I know I get a call.

It's not 1998, the age of waiting is over, sure if you have a specific part that is backordered like a stock, but the rest if in hand should be no more than the time it takes to get to the front of the line. We are dropping in actions to chassis most of the time what labor is required there?

Time is not an indicator of quality today, but time can be an indicator of poor job management, not saying that is Moon, and covid has changed a certain dynamic, but let's be realistic here. Nobody should be waiting for months on type of work in 2020.
I have said the same since I met Chad Dixon, 8.5 yrs ago.

Reactions: Average guy
Moon corrected an issue I was having with a Winchester action. He sent the barrel action back to me before I had sent him his money. I threw an extra $50 in with his bill ($80) for his quick turnaround and his trustfulness

Moon corrected an issue I was having with a Winchester action. He sent the barrel action back to me before I had sent him his money. I threw an extra $50 in with his bill ($80) for his quick turnaround and his trustfulness
I'm already squared up, and the quality of his work sure isn't what I have in question.

I was on the phone with him yesterday and was told "it should have arrived" (FFL says that's a big negative) and that he was going to go check the tracking on it, and get back to me. Didn't hear anything else on it the rest of the day so hoping to hear something today

Update on this:

Barreled action arrived 7/31. Maybe there had been a miscommunication where I thought he said "it should have arrived" on 7/28 but it sounded like that; gun was shipped out 7/29 and I had tracking info 7/30 telling me it was arriving. Arrived in great condition and everything looked good.

Had to do some wiggling around of chassis/furniture between a KRG whiskey 3 and bravo to get it to work how I wanted it, and eventually got it all to work. Took the rifle out today and ran some bog standard S&B 250gr match through it to get some 338 AI brass to send off and get it roughly sighted it and it certainly did better than i was expecting it to do while also forming brass.

Attachments

• 20200808_094623.jpg
    20200808_094623.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200808_112546.jpg
    20200808_112546.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 62
Hey all, I've got a receiver and barrel over with Moon to be chambered and whatnot and am in a bit of a conundrum. I had previously been told that it would be done end of june/early july but havent heard anything from him at all.

Contacting him seems to be a fruitless endeavor as I havent gotten replies to either emails or calls (voice mail left). I do know he's a one man shop and busy with a ton of other builds more than likely, but I haven't had communication with him in 4 weeks at this point.

Anyone familiar with the going ons of crescent custom recently?

Just received mine from Moon about a month ago. It took about 18 months. I wouldn't worry because Moon is an honest guy and builds beautiful rifles that shoot. He's been having issues with FedEx too.

Moons does awesome work but the build time is the reason i moved on to another top tier smith.

Reactions: toader
Love him like a brother, and he does great work, but if you want it fast you may be a little disappointed. Of course, I’ve never told him “I need this done Yesterday”, so I don’t complain. These days, I have more rifles than I can shoot, and dont shoot as many matches as I used to so STAT rebarrels aren’t a thing. I want my gun plumbing done by someone I have either shot on a line with or enjoyed a whiskey with.....preferably both.

Doc