• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Custom grips for Colt SAA Revolver?

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    I need a set of grips for an Umberti Colt SAA pistol….

1621982440613.jpeg

My hands are to large for my Colt repro… I’m looking for someone to make me a set.

Anyone have someone that can do it?

If you don't care about money, Rowen grips in VA makes absolutely spectacular pieces. Fully custom.

Check with Hide member @Bigfatcock

He made me a sweet walnut handle for my KaBar EK Knife.

SAA grips are his thing though.

Check out the handguns and coffee thread some of his work is likely there.

No, those are a picture of the type of grips I wouldn’t mind having on the gun…

The ones on my revolver or some sort of acrylic. They are also a little too small for me….

Solid, one piece grips. Not much wiggle room for thickness. These are carved from a single block, and not much figure to write home about. Walnut.

Attachments

• 2DA6840E-4085-47F1-9A8B-0C830C385601.jpeg
      2DA6840E-4085-47F1-9A8B-0C830C385601.jpeg
      568.2 KB · Views: 120
    • CD88C5C1-3B5F-45D9-B99C-11F9540B45F7.jpeg
      CD88C5C1-3B5F-45D9-B99C-11F9540B45F7.jpeg
      567.2 KB · Views: 96
    Reactions: GBMaryland
    Two piece with screw and escutcheon, but your frame needs to have the frame stud. If not, then a little thinking is involved. These can be book matched.
    67A9368B-4D18-49C2-B0B8-D24CE84E3862.jpeg

Reactions: Chief_Rick
    Finally, slabs for making one piece grips using the method of a glued in spacer. So technically 3 pieces. These can be book matched and custom sized for your grip. In this group I have curly maple, Bastogne walnut, claro walnut, and black walnut. None of it is dyed. That’s the natural wood color. A lot of figure and chatoyance in all of it.

ETA: The maple was surface stained with thinned stain to see what the figure looked like.

E67859AF-EBD4-4461-A3CE-4C4BCBDCB50C.jpeg
    3790B1CE-8EA1-4F33-960E-E2F0771850B8.jpeg
    E4CA6037-1D34-4011-A2B7-85A945C5184C.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Chief_Rick
    You do a nice job. Really. Have you ever made stocks for a small frame ('97) Freedom Arms?
    Yes. I’ve made stocks for almost every brand of single action available today.

Unfortunately I no longer have a slave revolver frame for the 97.

Reactions: Choid
    Anyone can have a grip made by "Joe" but it will be something special to say yours were handcrafted by BigFatCock.

Every time you wrap your hand around your BigFatCocks you know it's something special.

I speak from experience having had a handful of BigFatCock....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
    Im a simpleton.

I wanted plain black walnut and I enjoy oil finishing with pure linseed oil.

My wants are a handicap to people used to working in finely figured wood and applying Museum grade finishes.

Don't judge my utility knife as what would be done with beautiful wood and a finish that will draw out the detail.

I like the finish of your scales. Matches your military stocks quite well.

I love them too.

I have a safe full of linseed oil wood and parkerizing.

My in build LRI mag fed M40 may be the prettiest rifle I will own but it will be linseed oil and park.

I used these two to make some shotgun stocks….

However I am not a woodworker! I can turn wood because I grew up doing that…. But carving wood is another story.

8A21EF89-F07E-4CC8-941B-3605DCB5B385.jpeg
    582665A9-38CD-47D7-8301-91BBB292C31E.jpeg

Last edited:
    BFC, do you do grips for a ruger new blackhawk with the XRN-RED grip frame?

I’m not stupid: I got one of my friends to make them!

I’ll take a couple of pictures for you, this guy is incredible. Truly blessed to have him as a buddy…

Absolutely stunning. I wonder how much time he spent staring at the blanks before he started cutting?

I find myself doing that often on projects.

Quite a long time.

The blonde walnut was "the hardest work I've ever done" according to Mark.

Just amazing.

Joe Perkins at classic single action. One of if not the best out there. I have 3 of his and I am on the list for some more. Does everything and fit and finish is perfection.