• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cutting bbl from 20 to 16.1

rickster1269

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
California
I have a SPS tactical in .223 I want cut and rethreaded. It is a 1 in 12 twist. Since this is not a long range cartridge, and I rarely shoot beyond 100-200 yards, I thought I'd chop it. Will this affect its accuracy at these ranges? I plan on having Up In Arms Designs Inc. do the work. My plan is to put a SAS muzzle brake on it as well, and sold the current scope setup. Your opinions are appreciated. Thank you,

Rick

From this

IMG_0040 by rickster1269, on Flickr

To this

P1000590 by rickster1269, on Flickr

Re: Cutting bbl from 20 to 16.1

No it will not effect accuracy but it will reduce velocity. I have a Bolt Gun 223 has a 18" barrel and I shoot out to 600 yards with it. The only issue I have is the wind sometimes. Your only issue seems to be the 1:12 barrel that you have. You may be able to shoot 69er's with it but that may be an issue. You have to shoot it to find out.

I have a 16 inch .223 rem 700 with 1 in 12 twist,- its moderated and shoots tiny silly groups.

I came up with the same justifications, as mentioned - i don't shoot further then 200m or 300m for the majority of range days and on vermin most shots are sub 200m.

Velocity is reduced -yes but paper don't matter and fluffy critters cannot tell the difference between 3000fps and 2700fps.

I see. I usually shoot just 55's from it so if that is my only worry I am golden. Thank you from a fellow lefty

if you want to, you can chop it shorter. as long as the muzzle device is permanently attached to barrel and including the device is 16" your good to go without NFA papers.

I have a 16.25" on my .223 and it shoots great for as far as I want to shoot it. Although mine has a 1:8 and I shoot moly 75Amax, it shoots to 500M like it's 100M.

In the works.
I have ordered my sas brake, and pod claws for the Harris bipod, and after receiving the brake, its off to the gunsmith for the bbl cut.

Nice! I hope I can still stablize a 75g bullet. If not, I am perfectly happy shooting 55's to 200

Any suggestions on the scope I should mount? I am thinking an IOR 2.5 or USO ST10. Any other ideas on a practical scope? The reason I decided to do this project is to save some weight on this .223 rig.Like pictured was close to 17#, wayy to heavy for the field, and scope overkill for a .223