• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I had a CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer for 3 years. It was an accurate rifle and functioned well. A forum member bought it from me in December after I bought a CZ 457 Precision Trainer with 24" barrel.

The trigger pull is a little better on the 457, and the bolt operation is much smoother. My 457 is slightly more accurate than my 455 was, but not by much.

In these pictures I had installed a different scope on the rifle. My first shot was about 3 mil high. I adjusted elevation down 2 mils and took 3 more shots, then dropped elevation another mil for 3 more. Those shots are all marked with a black marker. Next I shot the top left group at 50 yards, it measured .247". Then I dropped the elevation .2 and shot the middle 50 yard group (.40") and set zero. After that I shot the 75 yard group and two 100 yard groups. I scattered the first 100 yard group a bit but the second group was .61". This rifle shoots pretty well.

7.jpg8.jpg

Two CZ457s.
2C31585F-332C-4E97-896F-67958A98B313.jpeg

CZ457 in a MPA Hybrid chassis, Athlon Cronus BTR in a Sphur mount, Area419 mount, hellfire brake, bolt knob, custom serielized KGMade Ticho

4E94E461-AB38-4507-B1F3-D555C2D0D066.jpeg

CZ457 Precision Trainer, Athlon ETR in Sphur mount, Area419 mount, hellfire brake and bolt knob, 18.5" Proof Research barrel

Sucks that I had a proof carbon barrel for the MPA build but the Ticho was approved before I got to put a round through it....

Last edited:
I'd like to chime in. I shoot CCI SV quite a bit. Out of all the 22 LR brands I shoot, CCI SV is the hardest to chamber in any match chambered rifle I have. I believe it is the best sub $3.00/box ammo for sale. From what I have seen it has a 15-20% flyer rate. From all the different brands I have shot I believe it to be as good or better than ammo like Eley Target, Practice 100 and even Club, RWS target Rifle, Semi Auto, SK Standard Plus, Sk Magazine and Flatnose Basic. When I say this I'm not talking about flyers, I'm talking about precision/accuracy. I believe at minimum you have to step up to SK Pistol Match or Wolf Match Target to get something consistently better.

Disclaimer: The above is what I have experienced with my rifles. Your experience may be entirely different. I do not have stock or any interest in CCI and I am not a 22 Plinkster fan.

Agreed on the .22 plinkster

Two CZ457s.
pEa9rM8.jpg

CZ457 in a MPA Hybrid chassis, Athlon Cronus BTR in a Sphur mount, Area419 mount, hellfire brake, bolt knob, custom serielized KGMade Ticho

WAal6Cd.jpg

CZ457 Precision Trainer, Athlon ETR in Sphur mount, Area419 mount, hellfire brake and bolt knob, 18.5" Proof Research barrel

Am I the only one not seeing the pics?

If you see the blue box with the question mark. I just right clicked on it and checked "open in a new tab". This worked using a Mac.

Two CZ457s.
View attachment 7273324

View attachment 7273326

Sucks that I had a proof carbon barrel for the MPA build but the Ticho was approved before I got to put a round through it....

Man that 18.5 barrel looks really good.

Reactions: 1911Operator
Two CZ457s.
View attachment 7273324

View attachment 7273326

Love the proof/manners

So, have you shot them? Just curious, do you have a preference for the chassis or stock when shooting prone or off the bench?
I have and the chassis is easier to shoot but it gets into the way of my ear pros

Two CZ457s.
View attachment 7273324

View attachment 7273326

How does that proof barrel shoot?

A year later I’m almost ready to rock!

Action screw torque numbers anyone?

View attachment 7274506
Start at 15 in/lb going up 5 in/lb up to 25 or 30. Shoot a bunch of groups at each 5 in/lb interval and let the rifle tell you what it likes best. I've read that 20 in/lb is what a lot of these rifles like

Mine liked 30 the best. Some say once you find the best torque, start adjusting the rear screw and see if that also makes a difference (ie. front 30 / rear 20).

I shot my MTR yesterday with Center X, 7-5 shot groups that averaged .420" @ 50 yds. The rifle has about 400 rounds thru it so far, I was hoping for a little better, I do need to make adjustments to my rest and rear bag to fit the stock better. Hopefully with a few hundred more rounds it will improve some. Trigger is 10oz. used a 24X scope. Head space at .044" Thoughts ?

Don't know how much difference it'd make, but I like headspace of .043" for SK/Lapua ammo. Have you shot any Eley through it to compare groups to what you normally get with SK/Lapua?

Don't know how much difference it'd make, but I like headspace of .043" for SK/Lapua ammo. Have you shot any Eley through it to compare groups to what you normally get with SK/Lapua?

Yes, the Eley I tried was Eley Team, it did just a bit larger groups.

New guy with 457, so apologies for the dumb newbie question - but:
1) how exactly are you measuring it?
2) are you guys adjusting that headspace? if yes, how?

.420" is not bad. The .044" headspace seems a little excessive especially for Eley rims.

Yes id rather have.042 for Eley, the rifle shows signs of wanting to shoot well, sometimes get 3 or 4 nearly thru same hole with 1 or 2 fliers.....hopefully more shooting will improve things a bit...thanks

I shimmed my bolt, I check head space with plasti gauge

rim-star, can you describe how you shimmed the bolt and what you used as a shim?

Go to Lilja Barrel website they have a good video how its measured. I believe its found as a link on the CZ455 and CZ457 page.

McMaster Carr 5/8 x 3/8 x .003 These require minor fitting. https://www.mcmaster.com/97022A169
That number is for super glue.

97022A128 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.001" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 5
97022A216 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.002" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 10
97022A169 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.003" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 10
97022A193 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.004" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 10

97022A128 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.001" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 5
97022A216 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.002" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 10
97022A169 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.003" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 10
97022A193 - 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.004" Thick, 3/8" ID, Packs of 10

I fixed it...sorry about that....link there now

i was interested in a Lithgow as well until i read about all the feeding issues, i really wanted one for a minute

Take the bolt apart, place the shim between to two halves, sometimes you have to take a small amount off the diameter of the shim for clearance, I also lube the shim and mating surfaces real good.

Reactions: Merlin O
Just curious, why do you need to lube the mating surfaces? Just for clarification the shim would be placed where the red arrow is, correct?
457 bolt .jpg

Reactions: Merlin O
Also a way to help fix those fliers bartlein drop in. I have 2 now and have been very impressed with both

Reactions: JKW70