• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

goneballistic - I used a BScar 25 MOA scope rail on my 457 VPT, and with low rings, either the Midas TAC I originally had on this rifle, or the Cronus I have on it now - both in TPS TSR low rings - make me feel that I don't really need a higher comb on the Manners stock. Everyone's face fits a stock differently, and shooters have their preferences, but I'm good with my VPT just the way it is... I see no downside to using the set screw attachment of the BScar or DIP rails; though the Area 419 scope rail has some features that some find very attractive, I'm more than satisfied with the BScar rails I have on all three of my 457s.

Hello Flatland,
I have three 457s myself and I would have liked to go with cheaper Bscar or DIP rails but they use set screws to push against the receiver. I spoke with Bob at DIP and he suggested that I put some number 8 lead shot under the set screws to prevent damage to the gun. I just picked up a Sako Quad Range on Monday and I need a rail for it as well. To avoid damage, I just ordered the 419 rail for the Sako because of the way it clamps onto the dove tail.
Personally I find the 419 built in level useless. I really just wanted to mention to you that you may consider putting some shot under those set screws.

EDIT: I just found this .50" longer magazine release from Anarchy Outdoors. The other extended mag releases are only about .09" longer and hardly worth doing. It also helps me locate and insert my 10 round mags.
It's only about 20.00$ I would think it would be a must have if you have a chassis mounted 457 with the deep mag well.
Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00117.JPG
    DSC00117.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00146.JPG
    DSC00146.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Sako Quad Scope Base 100.00.jpg
    Sako Quad Scope Base 100.00.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 79
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I just got a 16" cz 457 precision trainer. I'm really excited to go shoot it and see how it does.

I really want to put an adjustable cheek rest on this manners stock, anyone else retrofitted an a adjustable cheek piece to the manners carbon fiber stock?

I kinda want to use a clamping one vs a kydex one that I drill through the stock with if possible
I have a kmw but I never have installed (or paid to have it done I should say)on my VPT. Love the stock, but it's too low for me to get a consistent cheek weld. I currently have two layers of puzzle mat flooring and electric tape on mine. Works great but sure is ugly on an otherwise good looking rifle.

I have a kmw but I never have installed (or paid to have it done I should say)on my VPT. Love the stock, but it's too low for me to get a consistent cheek weld. I currently have two layers of puzzle mat flooring and electric tape on mine. Works great but sure is ugly on an otherwise good looking rifle.
Yeah, I have a couple of slices of pipe insulation wrapped in vet wrap on my 457 Pro Varmint. I bought a Titan Universal Cheekrest but haven't installed it yet. It only uses 2 screws through the top to attach, so it would be easy to patch if removed. The foam/vet wrap sure is comfortable, though.

I just got a 16" cz 457 precision trainer. I'm really excited to go shoot it and see how it does.

I really want to put an adjustable cheek rest on this manners stock, anyone else retrofitted an a adjustable cheek piece to the manners carbon fiber stock?

I kinda want to use a clamping one vs a kydex one that I drill through the stock with if possible

Hey Ballistic,

After you shoot your 457 a bit, you may want to lighten the trigger. It is a simple job and it costs nearly zero dollars and I would be happy to supply you with the springs, 3 and 9 micron lapping film, silicon grease and moly grease. All you need really do is lap the trigger blade sear, replace the trigger spring and make some adjustments.
BTW... Lefty 222 did a pretty good job on the sketch but he got #49 backwards. Screw in provides less sear engagement.
All of the people that I have helped with their triggers have them about 10 oz. That is except the last guy. He has his at 6 oz. and totally safe.
I would also recommend the AREA 419 scope rail because it clamps to the dove tail. The other rails drive set screws into the receiver and can leave divots. If you are set on using a set screw type rail, you can put number 8 lead shot in the screw holes to protect the action. Bob at DIP told me that soft tipped set screws will loosen up. I also highly recommend getting a 419 bolt knob. It improves the feel of the action a great deal.
I just ran across the Anarchy Outdoors extended magazine release. It is longer by about .50". The other extended mag releases are only about .09" longer and barely worth doing.

I'm so pleased with the CZ 457 product line as a whole, I have three different ones. I feel like your going to be really happy with your purchase as well especially with a couple mods.

Regards
Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00132.JPG
    DSC00132.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00140.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 79
  • o2IaOE6h.jpg
    o2IaOE6h.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 88
  • CZ457-Rail-b-1024x566.jpg
    CZ457-Rail-b-1024x566.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC09885.JPG
    DSC09885.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 67
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00117.JPG
    DSC00117.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reactions: JKW70
Yeah, I have a couple of slices of pipe insulation wrapped in vet wrap on my 457 Pro Varmint. I bought a Titan Universal Cheekrest but haven't installed it yet. It only uses 2 screws through the top to attach, so it would be easy to patch if removed. The foam/vet wrap sure is comfortable, though.

Hello Sgt,
Before you drill holes in your stock, you may want to look at post #963 in CZ 457. Even if you don't use it for your Titan cheek piece, it is fantastic stuff and you will find many uses for it.

Shawn

Reactions: Sgt47
Hello Sgt,
Before you drill holes in your stock, you may want to look at post #963 in CZ 457. Even if you don't use it for your Titan cheek piece, it is fantastic stuff and you will find many uses for it.

Shawn
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Not the APRS1. I love that tiny center dot for 22lr shooting. Have another Cronus BTR with the APRS1 on the way for the new RimX testing and review

That is why I switched to Swampfox. Tiny center dot for reticle center, thin lines and bright glass. For a fraction of the cost. You shouldn't have to buy a $1500+ scope to have good glass and a friendly reticle.

That is why I switched to Swampfox. Tiny center dot for reticle center, thin lines and bright glass. For a fraction of the cost. You shouldn't have to buy a $1500+ scope to have good glass and a friendly reticle.

You're right. All the leading scope manufacturers should pull their head out of their ass and start making better stuff like swampfox. Lol. Everyone should switch to Chinese glass

You're right. All the leading scope manufacturers should pull their head out of their ass and start making better stuff like swampfox. Lol

I wholeheartedly agree, despite your terrible sarcasm.

I used Athlon, I used Vortex, I even used Kahles. For the price, I've been amazed with the Swampfox scopes.

Call me whatever you want, but I find it ludicrous to spend a fortune on a scope for a rifle you only shoot at targets from 20 to 100 yards. You could do that with a Barska or BSA from Wal-Mart.

But if it makes you feel better about yourself, spend all you want. I love it when people show up with Nightforce scopes and only shoot 350 on the NRL stages.

Everyone should switch to Chinese glass

Every single person who has looked through my scope has agreed that the glass is better than any Athlon Argos or Midas. Even when comparing side-by-side.

So, be a smartass all you want. I'll put my Patriot up against ANY scope of similar MSRP. Chinese, Japanese, Nigerian, Australian, whatever you can imagine.

If I didnt believe in the product, and feel that it wasnt superior, I wouldn't use it

I wholeheartedly agree, despite your terrible sarcasm.

I used Athlon, I used Vortex, I even used Kahles. For the price, I've been amazed with the Swampfox scopes.

Call me whatever you want, but I find it ludicrous to spend a fortune on a scope for a rifle you only shoot at targets from 20 to 100 yards. You could do that with a Barska or BSA from Wal-Mart.

But if it makes you feel better about yourself, spend all you want. I love it when people show up with Nightforce scopes and only shoot 350 on the NRL stages.

I shoot my 22lr weekly from 300-500yds. I dont sit at the 100yd line. I'm not even going to get into the Chinese OEM vs Japanese glass. That's been hashed 100x. Rock on with your bad self.

Every single person who has looked through my scope has agreed that the glass is better than any Athlon Argos or Midas. Even when comparing side-by-side.

So, be a smartass all you want. I'll put my Patriot up against ANY scope of similar MSRP. Chinese, Japanese, Nigerian, Australian, whatever you can imagine.

If I didnt believe in the product, and feel that it wasnt superior, I wouldn't use it

Wait. Now its you'll put it up against any scope of similar MSRP???? A minute ago it was a Athlong Cronus BTR...

I don't have a dog in this fight but I do have a Swamp Fox Kentucky Long range 3-18, Althlon Midas BTR 4.5-27, Riton Mod 7 5-25, Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18, Vortex Diamonback HP's (have had 4 but only have 2 right now), and a few other lower end scopes.

Here is my take on the SF ***Disclaimer*** - I am not an optics snob and don't own any great glass because they are outside of my budget right now. I do think you get what you pay for. I do look for a great bang for your buck.

Glass wise the Swamp Fox is slightly better than my Athlon Midas BTR (gen 1), or it was on the day I was comparing it with a buddy of mine looking at deer that were 400-500 yards away (snow on the ground and a slightly overcast day).

Comparing the SF against the Riton (japanese glass), is a little bit harder. I need more time behind them both outdoors. I looks for about 5 minutes last weekend and I haven't come to any conclusions other than I need more time.

The SwampFox is a great scope for the price with nice glass for me but I know if I could drop double the money or more on a scope and get even a Vortex PST Gen 2 or Athlon Cronus, I would have better glass. Optics is one of the areas where at certain price ranges, you get what you pay for.

I bought an athlon Midas tac and it's really bright. I also got a leupold mk5hd and that Midas tac goes toe to toe with the mk5hd for brightness, and it's got the little fine center dot that's easy to aim with

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I bought an athlon Midas tac and it's really bright. I also got a leupold mk5hd and that Midas tac goes toe to toe with the mk5hd for brightness, and it's got the little fine center dot that's easy to aim with

I've never given a Leupold scope a try. I do enjoy the Midas tac. I think they are great scopes for the money.

I've put Athlon 6-24x50 mil Midas TAC scopes on 457 American & Varmint Precision Trainer rifles, and although it's not terribly hard to see the difference in optical quality between the TAC & Athlon Cronus, that hasn't stopped me from enjoying shooting behind the Midas TAC scopes. And because I always carry a V22 sporter while out & about with my dog - early in the morning & late at night before bed, I needed a sfp scope w/illuminated reticle, so recently bought a couple of Midas BTR Gen 2 scopes for the V22 & an AR15 SPR that I carry in my truck full-time. I really like the Athlon reticles, tracking, optical quality, and now - with the Gen 2 Midas & Ares scopes' improved turrets - the very audible/tactile clicks of these turrets. And their affordable pricing means I don't have to 'make do' with some of the older scopes I've had on various rifles over the years that lack features such as zero stops. Overall, I'm very pleased with Athlon's upgrades in response to user/owner input over the past four years.

Reactions: goneballistic
I just purchased a 457 elite package from Area 419. I'm debating on the optic of choice. The Midas Tac and Ares are high on my list.

Yes, I do love my SwampFox optics, but they are very limited to selection right now. Yes, they have exceptional scopes for $500-$600. But if you're looking for something a significant step up, they dont have anything to offer at this time.

Which leads me to something, as I said, like the Ares or even a Razor.

This is my VPT after re-barreling with a Shilen ratchet rifled .850" dia straight cylinder blank that I finished at 22". I used a PTG EPS match reamer, and the rifle loves a known good lot# of Center-X - it might even shoot this ammo a tiny bit better than the Krieger & Bartlein bbls on my V22s out to 200yds. Need to find the time on a day with decent conditions to compare the three rifles with this ammo at 50/100/200. I put an Athlon Cronus (older, pre-BTR) on it in TPS TSR low rings on a BScar 25 MOA rail, and really haven't felt the need for a stock pack or other means of producing a higher comb.

This is the first & so far only VPT I've seen that came with the trigger finished in the same black nitride as the action - all the others I've looked at had a polished and/or chromed trigger. I mixed about 20% tungsten in with graphite black when I CeraKoted the bbl, in an attempt to match the black nitride finish of the action. Like previous re-barrel projects of the 457, I glued this one in instead of trying to figure out how to hold the bbl to machine the grub screw seats in the tenon. In addition to being simpler, the glue-in puts no stress on either the action or bbl.

Attachments

• DSC_0243.JPG
    DSC_0243.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 131
The 457 I ordered from 419 has the Bartlein barrel. Anxious to see how it compares to my stock ProVarmint barrel, which has been performing amazingly.

Really like the looks of the VPT's. Enough that I went with the Manners stock over the MPA chassis.

Anybody else get the precision chassis model yet? I'd put the quality of the CZ aluminum chassis up against any of the other aftermarket ones that use the AR rear.

Attachments

• 0212201426_HDR.jpg
    0212201426_HDR.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 0212201428a_HDR.jpg
    0212201428a_HDR.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 139
  • shot_1581543897732~2.jpg
    shot_1581543897732~2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 145
@gozfast What ammo are you using? What height scope rings? What cant rail 30 or 15 Moa? Do you have any problems with brass bouncing off of your scope turret?

Only tried some CCI SV that I used in my RPRR. Ejection was flawless. I used a 419 30 MOA rail and Seekins 30mm low rings (.82"). That was the lowest I could find and everything had plenty of clearance without being too high. Accuracy is probably a little better because I'm shooting off a pretty wobbly table on my back porch, 50 yards. I can get out to 95 yards in my back yard but haven tried it out there yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Codiekfx400
@gozfast Did you have enough travel in your scope to zero at 50 yards with that 30 Moa rail? If so how close is the elevation turret from bottoming out?

Color me happy. ?

I believe I just found my replacement barrel for the 457. After talking with Al at MPA for 30+ minutes it's a no brainer not to go with their barrel as they do sell and install their barrel on your 457 action. For $400 they will sell the barrel, install it and set the headspace for you. They use an Anschutz chamber, thread the end, you can get it polished SS or black and it's hand lapped. Most aftermarket barrels cost $400 or more, and MPA will sell you the barrel with your options and set the headspace for you. Installation as we know is not a big deal but setting the headspace without using shims is a pretty nice extra for the price. Just waiting for the form from Al to list all my options I want. Things are looking up for the 457 now.
Hi, is this an option on their site or I have to call MPA and ask for it?

Wanted to show you all the Anarchy Outdoors extended magazine release. It sticks out .5" beyond
the stock. The DIP EMR is a very nice product but it only sticks out about .12" The new AO release guides the mag into the well and the mag drops out clear on it's own. There is no more using your fingernail to get to the release and fighting with a fairly stout spring. EDIT: I have found replacement springs but the only work on the factory or DIP release.

I happen to have an ACE #22 trigger shoe that I put on my MTR and it makes the trigger feel much nicer. I had already done a lap job and spring swap, so the trigger breaks clean at 10 oz. KOD did his trigger with the same .014" wire spring and his trigger breaks at 7.6 oz.

My MTR shoots so well that bought a second Trijicon 5-50x56 for her. I bought my first one for my V22 from B&H camera and they have a 30 day test drive return policy and 12 months with zero interest.

I would think that the Ext mag release would work great for you guy's putting your 457s in a chassis.

Hope this info helps.....
Shawn

Attachments

• 457 MTR.JPG
    457 MTR.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 171
  • AO EXT MAG RELEASE.JPG
    AO EXT MAG RELEASE.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 197
  • ANARCHY OUTDOORS EXT MAG RELEASE.JPG
    ANARCHY OUTDOORS EXT MAG RELEASE.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 457 SHOE ACE 22.JPG
    457 SHOE ACE 22.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 457 SHOE.JPG
    457 SHOE.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 149
  • TRG3.JPG
    TRG3.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 137
  • TRG1.JPG
    TRG1.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
How much of a pain is the mag release install? I want to order one for all my CZ's.

The Anarchy release is easier to install than the factory or the DIP type. The AO model has a smaller diameter spring pocket in it. Therefore the spring locks into the release instead of falling out or wondering around. You simply push out the pivot pin, remove the spring and replace the spring into the new release. If you give the spring a little twist it will squeeze into the pocket and stay put. I always put some orange finger nail polish on cross pins that have no other means of retention.
The release shown is my first DIP type that is only .080" longer than standard. I have used silicon grease to temporarily retain it's spring during assembly just like the factory does. You wont need it with the AO release. Both releases cost about $20.00

It is likely the same but my description is for the 457 release. I don't own any prior models.

I would also suggest you get the 457 trigger lapping and spring kit as well. It comes with 9 and 3 micron film, .018",.014" springs and silicon and moly grease to do the job.

Shawn Carroll

Attachments

• ORANGE PIN RETAINER.JPG
    ORANGE PIN RETAINER.JPG
    475.6 KB · Views: 87
  • EXTENDED MAG REL..JPG
    EXTENDED MAG REL..JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Reactions: Kisssofdeath
Anybody else get the precision chassis model yet? I'd put the quality of the CZ aluminum chassis up against any of the other aftermarket ones that use the AR rear.
Did you shoot more groups that that? What were those results? That is a nice looking chassis.

It is likely the same but my description is for the 457 release. I don't own any prior models.

I would also suggest you get the 457 trigger lapping and spring kit as well. It comes with 9,3 micron film, .018",.014" springs and silicon and moly grease to do the job.

Shawn Carroll

I'd like to add to this. The CZ mag releases have been unchanged since the BRNO days back in the 40's, they are all the same. I know, I have these rifles and bought extended mag releases from DIP and AO.

Also the $20 kit is well worth it. I got one and took my trigger down to a ten pull average of 7.6 oz as shown on my gauge. I have pulled below 7oz before. My trigger is worth $250 IMO because it's, to be honest a perfect trigger.

IMG_20200127_223023.jpg
IMG_20200209_165830.jpg

Did you shoot more groups that that? What were those results? That is a nice looking chassis.
Didn't shoot any more groups on paper, but I set a row of spent .22 cases out at 50 yards and was picking them off pretty easy. Lots of fun and I'm really happy with my first CZ. I'll install a lighter trigger spring and bolt knob, and I put on a vertical ERGO grip that I feel helps control a bit.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I am thinking about ordering a cz 457 varmint. Will the 457 varmint drop into a Boyd’s at one stock and use the factory bottom metal, mag, and magazine release? The reason I’m not just ordering the at one Oem cz offering is because I want to choose the color of the stock and I want the 20” barrel.

I am thinking about ordering a cz 457 varmint. Will the 457 varmint drop into a Boyd’s at one stock and use the factory bottom metal, mag, and magazine release? The reason I’m not just ordering the at one Oem cz offering is because I want to choose the color of the stock and I want the 20” barrel.

There is no difference between the 457 ProVarmint and the 457 At-One other than the stock.

Reactions: GS1000SN
I believe the Varmint, not Pro Varmint, comes with a 20” non threaded barrel. I think the 20” barrel was the reason he wants the Varmint. Any of the CZ457’s should drop right in to the Boyds stock as long as you buy the stock with the right barrel contour. The factory bottom metal should work as well. I would recommend the extended mag release from Anarchy Outdoors however. The factory mag release is really tiny and tough to use.

FYI...

If you get any 457, you will be happier if you get the AREA 419 rail and bolt knob, Anarchy Outdoors release and do a trigger job. At least if you want to have something like a 10 oz. trigger.
Lefty 222 did a nice job on the trigger sketch but he got #49 backwards. Tighten the screw reduces the sear engagement. It is not shown but #53 is also the centerline of the spring. That screw when turned in will increase trigger pull because the spring pre load will increase.
My At-One is below and the bbl. stick out is four inches from the front of the stock.
I like to shoot with my silencer so the 16" threaded bbl. suits me. I would however like a new
Boyd's in blue with all of the adjustments.
btw.... An ACE #21 or #22 trigger shoe will fit the 457 trigger blade and it feels great !!

Best of luck
Shawn

Attachments

• TRG3.JPG
    TRG3.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 156
  • TRG1.JPG
    TRG1.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 159
  • TRG2.jpg
    TRG2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 186
  • CZ 457 Varmint in Boyds ProVarmint stock 222.00.jpg
    CZ 457 Varmint in Boyds ProVarmint stock 222.00.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 457 AT ONE.JPG
    457 AT ONE.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 457 SHOE ACE 22.JPG
    457 SHOE ACE 22.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 189
Discovered that MPA offers a clamp-on scope base for the CZ457. It doesn't have a built in level like the 419 but is another option.

(Personally I have 2ea 455's wearing stainless extended Murphy rails that use set screws and are also JB welded in place. )

Triggers by scar base shipped fast for $35. Seems like a good base so far; I only have 11 rds through the rifle.