• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Discovered that MPA offers a clamp-on scope base for the CZ457. It doesn't have a built in level like the 419 but is another option.

(Personally I have 2ea 455's wearing stainless extended Murphy rails that use set screws and are also JB welded in place. )

Thanks for the 457 rail info. I have three of the 419 rails and the level is pretty useless except for during installation. Meaning that I cant see it while engaging the target. I personally would not use the auxiliary set screw and risk putting dimples into my receiver. It's my feeling that 4 clamp points would be more than enough. The bolt knob has a nice shape as well. It is just a little glossy in relation to the action for my taste.

I have mentioned this before but.... If I bought a DIP, scar or other rail that uses set screws driven from the top to hold the rail in place, I would put some number eight lead shot under the flat point set screws to protect my action. That is what Bob from DIP suggested to me when I was looking for a Sako Quad Range rail. Luckily, AREA 419 has a clamp on rail for that gun as well.

Shawn

Last edited:
RE: Anschutz
My friend Tim Y loaned me his Anschutz extended magazine release and I was able to shoot it for the first time yesterday. It is worth every dime !! The magazines drop out with no help required. I will end up shooting this gun now that the miserable factory release is gone. Since the magazines drop out, I can even use the 10 five round magazines.

I have another new 1416 with a beaver tail stock too. Now I will get a blue Boyds stock and shoot her as well. I had been thinking of selling them both mainly due to the release. As you can see, I shoot her so little that I have not even filled out my DOPE card.

They both shoot really well with a 18" bbl. They come with the 5098 trigger set to 6.3 oz. from Anschutz. Last night I found a trigger shoe on GB for her as well and is in the mail. I will let you all know how it fits and feels when it arrives.

Originally I had some trouble mounting a scope on my Annie so Bob at DIP adjusted the standard rail and made me some extended 1416 rails. (shown in the white) It has built in cant and it uses screws to attach to the receiver and not set screws. It works great !! In photo #6 you can see that with a big scope, I had to have my scope mount stance wide and had to use UTG adapters that hit the crown of the receiver and were nearly coming off. DIP now offers an extended rail as a standard product.
In photo 5 "bolt to mount clearance" you can see how close the bolt handle and scope mount is.

Thanks so much Bob !!

The mounts that I use the most are UTG PRO. Shown in photo #5. They seem to be well made and are very reasonable. The clamping screw is counter sunk so that no mounting hardware sticks out from the body of the mount. They are narrow at the rail to facilitate bolt clearance.
As you can see in photo #7 with some other rings, They would not have cleared if the mount was rotated 180*.
The UTG adapters are great for some guns like the CZ 457 because the top of the receiver has been flattened.

Regards
Shawn

Attachments

• 1 ANNIE 1416.JPG
    1 ANNIE 1416.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 2 ANNIE 1416 X MAG RELEASE.JPG
    2 ANNIE 1416 X MAG RELEASE.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 3 ANNIE 1416.JPG
    3 ANNIE 1416.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 4 ANNIE TURRETS.JPG
    4 ANNIE TURRETS.JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 148
  • NEW RAIL.jpg
    NEW RAIL.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 140
  • 5 BOLT TO MOUNT CLEARANCE.JPG
    5 BOLT TO MOUNT CLEARANCE.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 145
  • 6 WIDE STANCE & UTG ADAPTERS.JPG
    6 WIDE STANCE & UTG ADAPTERS.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 7 UTGs HITTING CROWN.jpg
    7 UTGs HITTING CROWN.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 151
  • PY-A-4148_UTG-Weaverto11mm-or-38_1472590511.jpg
    PY-A-4148_UTG-Weaverto11mm-or-38_1472590511.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Reactions: Kisssofdeath
AirGunShawn,

I'm a huge fan of those UTG adapters and the UTG PRO rings. I have started buying 34mm rings and using ring reducers I found for $16. Most companies charge a stupid amount of money for 34 to 30 reducers. These fit the UTG PRO rings perfect.
reducers

AirGunShawn,

I'm a huge fan of those UTG adapters and the UTG PRO rings. I have started buying 34mm rings and using ring reducers I found for $16. Most companies charge a stupid amount of money for 34 to 30 reducers. These fit the UTG PRO rings perfect.
reducers

Afternoon KOD,

I feel certain that you know this because you know me, but for the members that don't...

I know your a fan of the UTG adapters and that is a large pert of why I meant to mention them in a positive light. I only wanted to point out that folks need to watch out for the receiver shape. They are the best way to go in many circumstances. The Anschutz is just one of them. That doesn't even consider the coin that you can save by using them.
Lately I have mentioned that I don't like the DIP rails but I try and explain why and even give the lead shot suggestion that Bob at DIP gave me. It is not a personal vendetta, it is only information that I want to pass on to my fellow members.

I will be looking up the ring adapters that you mentioned.

All my best
Shawn Carroll

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
What sort of sling would you all suggest for a CZ 457 Pro Varmint? I took mine shooting today for the first time (with a YoDave trigger spring and 12x42 SWFA SS Scope), and while shooting off a rest I managed at least average groups with average ammo, shooting off-hand I was hitting all over the place. I ask because I'd eventually like to take it into NRL22, and that includes at least some off-hand shooting. Do the three sling swivel studs allow for a 3-point Ching sling (which I understand is a good combo of speed and support), or is their placement no good for that?

EDIT: I know part of it will just be practicing with a rifle with a scope and heavy barrel, but I could feel myself wavering when working the bolt with my right hand, thus putting all of the weight on my left hand, so I think a sling to help support that weight would be helpful.

Last edited:
What sort of sling would you all suggest for a CZ 457 Pro Varmint? I took mine shooting today for the first time (with a YoDave trigger spring and 12x42 SWFA SS Scope), and while shooting off a rest I managed at least average groups with average ammo, shooting off-hand I was hitting all over the place. I ask because I'd eventually like to take it into NRL22, and that includes at least some off-hand shooting. Do the three sling swivel studs allow for a 3-point Ching sling (which I understand is a good combo of speed and support), or is their placement no good for that?

EDIT: I know part of it will just be practicing with a rifle with a scope and heavy barrel, but I could feel myself wavering when working the bolt with my right hand, thus putting all of the weight on my left hand, so I think a sling to help support that weight would be helpful.

I only want to state this for those who don't know.

In pursuit of anything ... practice is absolutely the best and most important thing you can do to be successful !! The average person tends to do what they are better at. It's natural to do what you enjoy and already fairly proficient at. If you can force yourself to practice on your weak points, you will reap much greater rewards.

Shawn

I only want to state this for those who don't know.

In pursuit of anything ... practice is absolutely the best and most important thing you can do to be successful !! The average person tends to do what they are better at. It's natural to do what you enjoy and already fairly proficient at. If you can force yourself to practice on your weak points, you will reap much greater rewards.

Shawn

Oh, I definitely need lots and lots of practice, for sure. But, as mentioned, the competitive shooting I'd like to do with this rifle includes sling-only courses of fire, so deciding on a good sling early would be killing two birds with one stone.

The SAP sling is the fastest and easiest sling to use, IMO. Slide in your arm, pull tight, ready to go.

It has helped me tremendously, but I also sit in my living room and use snap caps to practice at targets in my backyard, using a sling. I go from a standing, kneeling or sitting position, then up to my kitchen table or bar, then back to a different unsupported position. Working on making quick transitions from supported to unsupported.

I purchased the SAP sling with the QD connections, then found some QD to sling stud adapters on Amazon. It allows me to use the sling on any rifle regardless its sling connection type.

I don't reccomend using a sling. The stages are run too fast to effectively use a sling. I've shot some high-power and it's amazing what you can do with a sling to establish a natural point of aim and reduce your wobble zone to within the bull or scoring ring. But without a 2 min prep and having to change positions 3 times or more you're just not going to be able to use a sling to do this. It becomes a distraction that people end up dicking with on the clock. And a false sense of npoa(natural point of aim). Either your skeletal system is going to support the rifle or the sling is going to assist your skeletal system in supporting the rifle. More often than not I see folks trying to use their slings in some sort of half arm wrap and just muscling their rifle into position. False sense of support and they're still not supporting the rifle with bone.

There are two "cheater" positions that are superior for this type of action shooting sport. They make better use of bone support and are faster to get in and out of. As far as I know they are still legal for use in NRL22. I struggled for a year or so trying to use my knowledge with sling supported positions in PRS and NRL22. 99% of the folks who shoot these sports have zero clue how to effectively shoot from a sling supported position to include the MDs that shoehorn 3 positional shooting positions with 5 position changes into a 90 or 120 sec stage. So there's no sense in really trying to learn how to use a sling for this sport, IMO. I have been way more successful not using a sling on the NRL22 stages.

You need a skosh of flexibility to use these positions. The main idea is to use your support side knee to support the rifle and your firing side shoulder to anchor it's wobble. You don't rest the rifle on your kneecap, you use your support hand to clamp the forearm of the rifle to the top of your shin and that is 90% of the support to the rifle. The buttstock is not firmly seated against the shoulder pocket. Rather it is resting on the side of the arm. This is it's second anchor point on the body and this just reduces the wobble. You're support side foot is flat on the ground for both the kneeling and seated position. The difference in the two positions is your butt is on the ground for the seated position and you're sitting on your foot and you're knee is touching the ground for the kneeling position.

View attachment 7257400

If you really want a sling, I reccomend the VTAC with it's fast and vast adjustment using the rucksack friction buckle.

Love those Vudoo color choice's.
Shawn

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
    VUDOO V22.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 136
I tried to use a sling in my first match and kept timing out, that's with a hasty sling, not even using a full loop.

the guys that were killing it were not slung up, but they had pretty heavy rifles, and were very good about getting into bone on bone supported positions.

I stopped using the sling in the second match and did better. There was just too much moving around to make it very effective.

AirCap - Did you order that camo finish direct from Manners, or buy the stock from a vendor who had it in inventory? It's definitely a different color combo than the molded-in GAP on the stocks from CZ...

Just want to share mine."SORRY TO HIGHJACK THIS THREADS" sharing the first cousin of your 457.According to the records she was born in AUSTRALIA and sharing the same blood magazine of yours.Thanks

Upgrade are bolt ti/bolt ti shroud/spring trigger not yet installed/waiting for rail 25moa soon. LITHGOW 101

Attachments

• 20200215_185937.jpg
    20200215_185937.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 156
The Lighgow looks good. How does it shoot?

Also, did you all know the B-14R knob will fit the 457 bolt handle?

IMG_20200209_162953.jpg

The Lighgow looks good. How does it shoot?

*Thank you sir KOD,coming from you I really appreciate it "BIGTIME".( Hope you don't kiss me to death soon).your my idol and you have a good looking rifle as well.
*I am only a poorly low average shooter but heck and wow this aussie born really know how to shoot very well.

Also, did you all know the B-14R knob will fit the 457 bolt handle?

*This might be fit useful on her cousin too am pretty sure of that. Thank you!

457 varmint in factory wood stock with factory pillars. Worth skim bedding? Thanks.

I would expect it to be worthwhile to bed any wood-stocked 457, but have to wonder how substantial the factory poly pillars are. I still intend to bed my 457 American, especially since I invested the time & money to fit & chamber a Shilen ratchet rifled bbl on it. Just haven't gotten fired-up enough to take the time to cut a set of aluminum pillars for it and get 'er done yet. I bought a 457 VPT w/Manners stock several months ago, and with another Shilen on it, have had very good results where accuracy is concerned. However, after bedding both my heavy comp V22s in their Manners PRS1T stocks, I felt there was a slight increase in accuracy, so it's only logical that the already accurate VPT would benefit from bedding also.

Manners' inlets on all three of these stocks was pretty darned good, so any improvement in accuracy might be mostly in my mind. It'd take someone with more time & patience than I've got to do thorough enough testing to 'prove' that there's an advantage in bedding a stock with an inlet as precise as the Manners stocks have. For me, it's a boost in my confidence in my rifles' accuracy, and since I'm not paying someone else to do the bedding job, I believe it's worth it.

Any reason not to bed or glue in the rear recoil bar that falls out every time you take the stock off? I can't believe CZ didn't rout the stock for a snug press fit. I've noticed on my MTR that the only movement I can find in the receiver inletting is at the very rear of the action near the recoil bar. I can move it about 1/16" side to side. I may start with that area first and see how that goes. The barrel is free floated from the factory all the way back to the receiver.

Decided to clean the barrel and shoot some groups today.
After about 10 rounds to foul the barrel again I shot three 5 shot groups at 100 off a bipod and rear bag.

Very happy with this rifle.
457PV
CCI SV
AAC ELEMENT 2
Opened the barrel channel up just a tad with sandpaper under the barrel

Groups are in chronological order. They got tighter the more I fouled the barrel. I stopped after the last group. For obvious reasons!

B7DEBC62-5B23-4271-891A-F3D46925C599.jpeg

1A676F7E-9D57-44E1-8EE4-ED3A949C8C66.jpeg

03D43470-6FDA-4EC3-A0FF-6661D8139B37.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. Do you find SV to throw flyers more than any of the mid range ammo? They chamber hard in my rifle (match chambered Lilja) but seem to shoot very nicely.

Very nice. Do you find SV to throw flyers more than any of the mid range ammo? They chamber hard in my rifle (match chambered Lilja) but seem to shoot very nicely.

Every now and then I'll get a flyer. I try and shoot groups through the chrono to see if there is a velocity difference when I get a flyer

I'd like to chime in. I shoot CCI SV quite a bit. Out of all the 22 LR brands I shoot, CCI SV is the hardest to chamber in any match chambered rifle I have. I believe it is the best sub $3.00/box ammo for sale. From what I have seen it has a 15-20% flyer rate. From all the different brands I have shot I believe it to be as good or better than ammo like Eley Target, Practice 100 and even Club, RWS target Rifle, Semi Auto, SK Standard Plus, Sk Magazine and Flatnose Basic. When I say this I'm not talking about flyers, I'm talking about precision/accuracy. I believe at minimum you have to step up to SK Pistol Match or Wolf Match Target to get something consistently better.

Disclaimer: The above is what I have experienced with my rifles. Your experience may be entirely different. I do not have stock or any interest in CCI and I am not a 22 Plinkster fan.

15-20% flyer rate from SK Standard Plus? Wow... That seems incredibly high to me. I've been using it for a year now, tossing thousands of rounds down range, and I've had nothing but great success with it. A random flier maybe every 80 to 100 shots...?!?

In my experience, the CCI SV was far too inconsistent over the chrono, and varied wildly from lot to lot. If I'm looking for the best "cheap" ammo out of my three CZ's, it has been Geco Rifle.

But... I measure rims and weigh all my ammo. I've been able to eliminate many of the random fliers I use to encounter. Sure, it takes some time, but I have many target faces that show me it is worth the time and effort.

Reactions: kmckinnon
I've seen several lots of SK Std+ that were pretty impressive when compared to select lots of SK Rifle & Pistol Match. By impressive, I don't mean to imply that Std+ shot better than or even quite as good as the two match rounds, but the best lot of Std+ I've found to date shoots very impressive groups at 50yds, with only a very few fliers per box, and those fliers generally aren't nearly as far out of the groups as more mediocre lots of Std+ throw them. I'd gladly buy another couple of cases of this lot, but I'm obviously not the only one who's found how good it was - just after I'd found out how good it shoots in my V22s, 40XB repeater, and CZ457s, I tried to find another case of it, with no joy.

OTOH, I've bought only a single box of CCI SV, and since it didn't impress me at all in any of my barrels, and given that I'd also bought several cases of SK Rifle Match, LR Match, & Lapua Center-X, I didn't pursue further testing with the CCI stuff. Obviously, they do turn out some better lots of it, but I don't care for how hard it chambers in my EPS-chambered bbls, so I've failed to try it again.

15-20% flyer rate from SK Standard Plus? Wow... That seems incredibly high to me. I've been using it for a year now, tossing thousands of rounds down range, and I've had nothing but great success with it. A random flier maybe every 80 to 100 shots...?!?

In my experience, the CCI SV was far too inconsistent over the chrono, and varied wildly from lot to lot. If I'm looking for the best "cheap" ammo out of my three CZ's, it has been Geco Rifle.

But... I measure rims and weigh all my ammo. I've been able to eliminate many of the random fliers I use to encounter. Sure, it takes some time, but I have many target faces that show me it is worth the time and effort.

Hey big guy! Check this out.

Disclaimer: The above is what I have experienced with my rifles. Your experience may be entirely different. I do not have stock or any interest in CCI and I am not a 22 Plinkster fan.

Oh Yeah, hey big guy, check this out too.

When I say this I'm not talking about flyers, I'm talking about precision/accuracy.

Chill out

You said "From what I have seen it has a 15-20% flyer rate.".

My apologies for assuming that meant a 15-20% flyer rate.
I am chilled. I was never unchilled. I quoted my comments in big bright letters so you wouldn't miss what I said like you did the first time you "didn't" fully read my post. The 15-20% flyer rate was directed to CCI SV. I can't understand how you associated the flyer rate to SK STD+ when I'm not even talking about SK or any other brand of ammo at that time.

IDK big guy, you may need to get a family member, neighbor or someone you trust to help you understand what you are reading. I went back and read what I posted and don't see how anyone can get confused if they read every sentence in the order it was written.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reactions: JohnTheFisherman
I got my sons 457 put together. We are still on the fence about putting a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. I also want to do a custom Cerakote job on it which should look pretty cool.

View attachment 7270913
I recently purchased a proof for my 457 but unfortunately my ticho was approved before I could get a round through it so I need to find a new gun to put this barrel on.

Polish Knobs will work with you on a design, send you photos of the finished product for you to approve before shipping it out. He is great to work with, and very reasonably priced!

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: reichco457