• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I was playing with some SK Rifle Match and Wolf Target Match today at 100 yards with the CZ457 VPT. Range conditions weren’t horrible but the wind was consistent. @ 100yds had to dial .6 mils. For the first target I uploaded I would have to hold an additional .1-.2 mils depending on the gusts. The wind died down for the second which showed a little better result. That said, this rifle shoots like a dream and loves both types of match ammo. Dope was consistent between the two manufacturers. I was only able to shoot two 10 shot groups at 100yds and had to leave, but thought I would share none the less. Shot off of a bipod and rear bag.

Can't wait for the availability of match ammo to come back.

Don’t mind my thumb, I had a misplaced and unwanted 30cal hole on my target so I covered it up.

Attachments

• 41BE0002-27B6-47FA-8565-7DBAF11A4F25.jpeg
    41BE0002-27B6-47FA-8565-7DBAF11A4F25.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 57
  • D9EDC112-6269-455C-9DDA-7EB5ABAC6E55.jpeg
    D9EDC112-6269-455C-9DDA-7EB5ABAC6E55.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Does anyone else here have issues with the Anarchy Outdoors 10 round mag extensions? Both of my mags keep jamming up when loaded past 10 rounds. I still leave them installed just for ease to hold onto for reloads, but would be cool to get them working properly.

My AO+3 won't load last round consistently.
Beyond that I am done with AO products. My extension cracked around pin and when contacting them for replacement they insist I return it to my Canadian dealer on the other side of the country. It will cost me $9.45 according to CanadaPost. Not feasble for a product costing $20Cdn. I sent AO detailed pics of damage and they won't honor their warranty and send me a replacment. What does it cost them for a 3D printed piece, well I guess it cost them a customer.

So, instead I remove the extension and ordered an MK Machining 14 round mag. I know they back up their products.
rant over.
20210902_195037.jpg

Reactions: Northernjets
Does anyone else here have issues with the Anarchy Outdoors 10 round mag extensions? Both of my mags keep jamming up when loaded past 10 rounds. I still leave them installed just for ease to hold onto for reloads, but would be cool to get them working properly.
Play around with the spring - needs to be set all the way down. that should fix it.

Play around with the spring - needs to be set all the way down. that should fix it.
^^^ this

Same issue I had with both of mine. You have to get the spring in there in just right, otherwise it gets bound up wrong. The follower and spring need slid up inside the mag tube together, instead of the follower first and then the spring. I've had zero issues with mine since, including multiple range visits and NRL22 matches.

Reactions: Northernjets

^^^ this

Same issue I had with both of mine. You have to get the spring in there in just right, otherwise it gets bound up wrong. The follower and spring need slid up inside the mag tube together, instead of the follower first and then the spring. I've had zero issues with mine since, including multiple range visits and NRL22 matches.

I'll give it a try again. Every time they stick, I shove a hex wrench in and wiggle it around until the spring sits again, but seems to never stick.

My AO+3 won't load last round consistently.
Beyond that I am done with AO products. My extension cracked around pin and when contacting them for replacement they insist I return it to my Canadian dealer on the other side of the country. It will cost me $9.45 according to CanadaPost. Not feasble for a product costing $20Cdn. I sent AO detailed pics of damage and they won't honor their warranty and send me a replacment. What does it cost them for a 3D printed piece, well I guess it cost them a customer.

So, instead I remove the extension and ordered an MK Machining 14 round mag. I know they back up their products.
rant over.
View attachment 7707581
Very lame to hear and also concerning as I'm up in Canada too. I haven't been too impressed with the AOD stuff I've seen so far either, mag extensions aside.

Need some help / advice please. I really like the KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, but its not available for the CZ 457 - not even special order. I intend to by a KRG Bravo for a CZ 457 and a Whiskey 3 for a Remington 700 SA and then swop the backbone and trigger guard to have a Whiskey 3 for a CZ 457. Anybody tried this before or know whether it should work? I can then sell the Bravo as a Remington 700 SA chassis.

Attachments

• BRV-CZ7-B04.jpg
    BRV-CZ7-B04.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 67
  • W3-Folder-R7-SAb.jpg
    W3-Folder-R7-SAb.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 75
Need some help / advice please. I really like the KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, but its not available for the CZ 457 - not even special order. I intend to by a KRG Bravo for a CZ 457 and a Whiskey 3 for a Remington 700 SA and then swop the backbone and trigger guard to have a Whiskey 3 for a CZ 457. Anybody tried this before or know whether it should work? I can then sell the Bravo as a Remington 700 SA chassis.
I can’t imagine if that’s all it takes why they wouldn’t just sell one.

This was KRG reply to my question:

"Hi Paul,

The grips are part of the W3 backend and should fit the 457 just fine. I don’t know about the 700 forend, you will have to try it and see if it works for you.

Thank you,
-KRG"

IMO the forend do not interfere with the magazine - so Whiskey 3 forend should also not be a problem.

I'll give it a try again. Every time they stick, I shove a hex wrench in and wiggle it around until the spring sits again, but seems to never stick.

Very lame to hear and also concerning as I'm up in Canada too. I haven't been too impressed with the AOD stuff I've seen so far either, mag extensions aside.
The base slides past the detent. Push the base all the way back. You can tape it or just do it as a habit. It's never moved once loaded on me. Several thousand rounds.

Shot mine for the first time today, I’m not impressed. The CZ part is very good, the Boyd part is pure junk. It’s like shooting a 2x4 with a barrel attached. It’s extremely heavy, rougher than a Cobb, two slivers in my fingers already, balance is terrible. The adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, need a pry bar to move, the adjustment buttons barely move. its akin to 7th grade wood shop project, that got a C-. The CZ part is a solid 9 on the 1-10 scale, the stock is a solid 2, on a whole the complete rifle is somewhere between a 5 and a 6. A gun show purchase, you live and you learn. Probably either a candidate for a new stock or life as a safe queen.
I had the at-one stock as well and hated it. I thought it looked nice, but the adjustments were a pain and the cheek piece couldn't get high enough and had huge adjustment intervals.

Put mine in a krg bravo and I'm much happier.

If any of you have a krg bravo - I put one of these in recently and mag changes are so much easier now. Definitely worth it.

• Love
Reactions: fullsemiauto556
If any of you have a krg bravo - I put one of these in recently and mag changes are so much easier now. Definitely worth it.

That is a welcome upgrade. I see they're out of stock, but I entered my email for in-stock notifications from them.

If you don't mind, would you post a picture showing that installed?

Northernjets - Trying one lot# of the different grades of ammo you mentioned won't give you any realistic idea which grade will shoot best in your rifle. When & if this 22RF ammo shortage becomes a thing of the past, what you need to do is order in a half-dozen lot samples of each of those brands/grades. This is what we used to do - before this crazy ammo situation. Best case scenario is to be able to get out and test it in good conditions as soon as you get it, because you can bet your bippy that shooters across the country will be testing to find good lots, and once a few dozen of them find that lot# xxxx of SK LRM or RM shoots 'lights-out", they'll be buying as many cases of that lot as they can afford. I did lot testing in this manner for years, using several different jobber/wholesale outlets, as well as Champions Choice & Good Shooting. Tested dozens of lots of SK Std+, Rifle Match, LR Match and Lapua Center-X in custom barreled Stiller 2500XR, 40X, and V-22s, and have found that there's so much variation in accuracy potential in 22RF ammo that lot testing is the only way to find "the good stuff". I wish I knew when or even if things are ever going to get back to normal to allow for this kind of lot testing - with all the interest in precision 22RF rifles & competitions like NRL22 that I see on the internet, plus the disruption in the supply of match grade 22RF ammo due to covid-19, it's kind of a 'perfect storm' that's produced a huge backlog of demand for quality RF ammo that's going to take a serious increase in ammo production to correct. Since good ammo producing machines and excellent QC to go with them can only produce so much ammo - even when there are enough highly trained technicians to run them - I'm not sure what a realistic outlook on the ammo supply chain horizon is.

Between the current ammunition shipping issues in Canada, ammo shortages and my somewhat remote location, options are pretty limited for testing multiple lots of the same ammunition. There's no 22lr matches out here and I only shoot 22 during the warmer months, so I'm not overly pressured to find anything spectacular at the moment. Anything around 1 moa @100m will keep me happy enough for plinking in the mean time.

Installed the Timney trigger, and confirmed my action screws were between 30 -35 in lbs. Took two boxes of center X to the range (was planning to spend more time with the SK that I had brought).

Top groups started with a clean bore, 50 yards. Things tightened up quick. Went out to 100, and was very pleased. Chrono showed 1073 - 1075 FPS. Went out to 200, and 300, and think I have found the gun’s new favorite ammo (no pics of those targets - was shooting steel). There was a light wind, and when it died down, I could stack shots on top of each other at 200.

Gun specs - 16.5” varmint precision chassis, Athlon Cronus, timney trigger @11.5 ounces, Harris bipod.
029EA342-3EF7-46CB-B811-953C6FEBBE04.jpeg

Last night I was tweaking with my factory trigger for a bit and got it down to 10-11 oz consistently. (this is an average over 5 pulls with my Wheeler digital gauge). I was able to get it this low with only adjusting the pull weight set screw and sear engagement screw. I went down to 6-7 oz, but would not pass the butt stock drop test at 2 feet on to concrete. Went about 1/8 turn in on the sear screw and settled at the 10-11 oz. I drop tested it several times at 2 feet without the sear disengaging.

I must be lucky with my CZ457. The factory barrel certainly out shoots my abilities, and now the trigger is set to where I like it. I was all set to buy the Timney, but for the moment I think I will just stick with the factory one. I just don't see the return at the moment for spending $158 and getting pretty close to the same result. Yes the Timney has its positives, but only time will tell if I can stop tinkering with it.

Does anyone have any experience with the Primary Arms 4-16x50 FFP or 6-24x50 FFP GLx series of scopes? Thinking about picking one up for my CZ 457 PT

Shot mine for the first time today, I’m not impressed. The CZ part is very good, the Boyd part is pure junk. It’s like shooting a 2x4 with a barrel attached. It’s extremely heavy, rougher than a Cobb, two slivers in my fingers already, balance is terrible. The adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, need a pry bar to move, the adjustment buttons barely move. its akin to 7th grade wood shop project, that got a C-. The CZ part is a solid 9 on the 1-10 scale, the stock is a solid 2, on a whole the complete rifle is somewhere between a 5 and a 6. A gun show purchase, you live and you learn. Probably either a candidate for a new stock or life as a safe queen.

i have to replace the Boyd At-One stock on my CZ 457, yesterday I ordered a KRG Bravo chassis.

Reactions: Boatninja
Does anyone have any experience with the Primary Arms 4-16x50 FFP or 6-24x50 FFP GLx series of scopes? Thinking about picking one up for my CZ 457 PT
I have the 4-16 on my section 8 deer hunting rig, the one that I actually use. I can’t think of anything bad to say about it especially for the price. The first impression was that the glass is pretty good for the money.

81092C9A-8BBD-4A7B-99FA-3BF043C85E6B.jpeg

I’ve been putting parts on mine for a few weeks now getting it ready for NRL22 matches local to me. I’ll look into the Yo Dave Springs Kit I’m kinda digging the stock setup for now.

Reactions: Fester47
I have the 4-16 on my section 8 deer hunting rig, the one that I actually use. I can’t think of anything bad to say about it especially for the price. The first impression was that the glass is pretty good for the money.
HAHAHAHA Section 8 rifle. Overall considering the price is around the PST Gen II price do you know how they compare to eachother?

I think I'm finally where I want to be with my 457. There's not much of it left here.

I have mine in an XLR Industries Element 3.0 chassis. I'm using a 25moa DIP rail and Area 419 bolt knob. The trigger is the new Timney set at a very nice crisp 11ozs. I'm running the Burris XTR3 in 3.3-18×50 with the Burris Signature Series rings adding another 20moa. I have 31.9 mils of travel. I just added a 20" IBI barrel with a 1/12" twist and an ATS tuner.

If I cant hit a target with that, its not the rifle.

Is the headspacing on the IBI barrel set from factory or does it come with shims like the Lilja barrels? Rebarreling a 22lr seems a lot less intuitive than a centerfire from what little reading I've done.

The IBI uses a set headspace. I was told that if everything is as it should be, it should come in at .044. They offered several different chamber options. I ordered this one with the Calfee 4.

I was considering doing a loctite fit on this barrel and ditching the grub screws. But the fit on this barrel was perfect. Super snug and chunked right into place once I gave it enough pressure. So I put some blue loctite on my grub screws and only tighted them to 25inlbs.

I'm shooting at an indoor range at 50 and 100 yards tonight. I'll give a range report on if the barrel is an improvement over my pretty decent CZ factory barrel.

The new barrel shoots great. I got it zeroed with my Aguila Target ammo and put about 50 rounds through it. Then put on my Magnetospeed on a Wiser mount and switched to my SK Long Range Match ammo and shot a handful of groups. It was all looking really good.

So I started adjusting my tuner, which turned out to be difficult. It shot a lot of settings pretty darn well. So I kept sending more rounds to flesh it out. In the end I think I'm in a good spot. Though I shot the hell out of my target. I needed more aim points.

But its looking good. Definitely a different feel to the round chambering.

Here's a good look at how 30 consecutive rounds performed across my chrono.

@Birddog6424
It is nice to see on that list is that 4 of the top 10 were CZ457s, and 1 10/22 - Julien.
Andy, Eric, Larry and Ja for the CZ.
I'm pretty sure Andy shoots a Vudoo. If he had a CZ out there I wasn't aware that he owned one. He was one of the first guys in the area to grab a Vudoo. Dan and Chris in my squad had Vudoos. They seem to both be having feeding issues with that new 60 degree throw. Always nice to see a semi-auto guy in there finishing well.

I chatted with Dan for a while yesterday about his build. He's frustrated with it. And I exacerbated the problem when I went through my build and he realized I built that entire rifle for less than his barreled action. 🤣

I've been reading through the 6x5 thread. Those groups that fellas are seeing are pretty consistent with what I've seen. I'm going to get a copy of that target and run some groups on my rifle just to put my theory to the test. Math doesn't lie. But I really think if you do your due diligence in ammo selection and rifle set up, the CZ is right there with the RimX and Vudoo. Just my humble opinion.

Ah, mixed up my Andy's 🤣

Are you shooting the PRS 22 match at Parma this Saturday? 12 stages, hot lunch included.

PRS is a different animal. Targets at all ranges, no gear restrictions. Its a lot of fun..

I just picked up a 457 at-one varmint 24” today and I have a vortex Crossfire ii 3-9x40 v-plex laying around. Will this scope do this rifle a disservice or it’ll be fine? (I know if I have to ask...) just wondering. Thanks
1 year later I have my 457 in a XLR element 3.0
With a athlon Ares BTR gen2 4.5-27
What a difference a year makes lol.
I love it

Just picked up my cz 457 pro varmint and I noticed 2 things: THe bolt has play when open, and some visual play in the firing pin springing thingy. that twists as you throw the bolt.
This is Normal? Just seems odd to me that CZ could VERY easily leave more metal on the bolt for a tighter fit...
Also, my cf dewy rod will not go all the way through the barrel Gets jammed half way same spot..... funny because it fits NO PROBLEM
running through my 22-250 barrel. hmmm
picts on the way

Here I am rocking the bolt back forth and also the sear? Not sure what it is called?
Under the bolt thingy..
Anyway. May not effect accuracy just though I would mention it. Will shoot few hundred today and get back on it. Not been able to put the ride all the way through even without a patch on it was a bit concerning but what do I know

Attachments

• BA5C029A-04EB-488D-B1F1-33CC8B3BDCCD.jpeg
    BA5C029A-04EB-488D-B1F1-33CC8B3BDCCD.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 0237CA87-665F-46DB-92E7-062366F67785.jpeg
    0237CA87-665F-46DB-92E7-062366F67785.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 9BB9AB95-D2CD-4156-9F42-33E938E7D5BB.jpeg
    9BB9AB95-D2CD-4156-9F42-33E938E7D5BB.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 6C20780B-06D3-4F6A-A4EB-2C5E584AAC01.jpeg
    6C20780B-06D3-4F6A-A4EB-2C5E584AAC01.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 91
The rod is normal. .22 rim fire barrels tend to be a little tighter, to better engrave the bullet. CZ (and Anchutz, etc.) need a smaller rod. Bore Tech has a .22 rim fire rod, or you can get a Dewey or Tipton .20 or .17 rod, and use adapters to take .22 jags and brushes.
Not home just now, so can't comment on the bolt question.

Shoot, enjoy, post pictures

Dave

Reactions: Fester47
Thank you Dave and fullsemi 556 this is what I thought was the case thank you for shedding some light .
My local FFL charges now 50 a pop to do transfers didn’t have a choice if I wanted this gun because nobody had it locally.

I did however will become more creative as there’s plenty of FFL’s listed by doing a quick search some very local these are obviously not gun shops, this looks be 1 person but looks like I can just call them up? If someone didn’t want their FFL to be listed and their number wouldn’t they not put it on the list in the Google search ?
The fact that were a record number high for gun sales and the local gun shop wants to stiff me 50 for a transfer they have no incentive for me to want to go there hence the death of the local gun shop .

Reactions: Appalachian
Here I am rocking the bolt back forth and also the sear? Not sure what it is called?
Under the bolt thingy..
Anyway. May not effect accuracy just though I would mention it. Will shoot few hundred today and get back on it. Not been able to put the ride all the way through even without a patch on it was a bit concerning but what do I know
My bolt looks the same as yours. I've put 2422 rounds through my rifle plus however many the guy before me, no issues. Not sure what your concern is. As long as the bolt locks up tight in the closed position, I don't see what there would be to worry about. Factory mass produced guns, not custom fit with tight tolerances. Probably made them loose so they will run dirty, for the people who don't like to clean anything ever?

Thank you or the update about your bolt. I had thought about the cleaning issue and the fact that yes it is a mass produced rifle.. I just thought with today’s CNC machining they could make it a little tighter and still have no tolerance issues or tolerance stacking as people say🦼

Looking forward to letting it rip with a muffler as well as I think we all could use the hearing protection even though this one doesn’t bark quite as loud apparently that’s where it all starts you start with the smaller and go to the larger calibers after you’ve placed one of these on you gun💉

Thank you Dave and fullsemi 556 this is what I thought was the case thank you for shedding some light .
My local FFL charges now 50 a pop to do transfers didn’t have a choice if I wanted this gun because nobody had it locally.

I did however will become more creative as there’s plenty of FFL’s listed by doing a quick search some very local these are obviously not gun shops, this looks be 1 person but looks like I can just call them up? If someone didn’t want their FFL to be listed and their number wouldn’t they not put it on the list in the Google search ?
The fact that were a record number high for gun sales and the local gun shop wants to stiff me 50 for a transfer they have no incentive for me to want to go there hence the death of the local gun shop .
I have an FFL guy who meets me in a WalMart parking lot for $15.

I was just packing up to go on a hunting trip with a great potential for some small game and varmint shooting. Wishing I had a rifle case for my CZ457 American with sleeves for extra barrels and barrel change tools. Heck as long as I'm wishing, sleeves for suppressors too.
Is there a company that custom makes such things? I'm not thinking hard-case.