• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

The CZ strikes again. I honestly couldn't be happier with the way this rifle is performing. Since putting the IBI barrel on it its just been dropping everything on target.

Stage 2 at this match was a spinner with bonus targets. Spin the spinner and score as much as you could on the bonus plates. The bonus plates were a 2"and 3" targets at 150 yards. I spun the spinner in 4 and went 3 for 3 on each of the bonus targets at 150 for 14 points. A few guys got a 12, and it just went down from there.

The rifle was point and click all day. If I had the wind it hit the plate. And just can't say enough about how good a value the CZ is.. surrounded by RIMX, Vudoo, and Bergara, you can still get the W.

Last edited:
The CZ strikes again. I honestly couldn't be happier with the way this rifle is performing. Since putting the IBI barrel on it its just been dropping everything on target.

Stage 2 at this match was a spinner with bonus targets. Spin the spinner and score as much as you could on the bonus plates. The bonus plates were a 2"and 3" targets at 150 yards. I spun the spinner in 4 and went 3 for 3 on each of the bonus targets at 150 for 14 points. A few guys got a 12, and it just went down from there.

The rifle was point and click all day. If I had the wind it hit the plate. And just can't say enough about how good a value the CZ is.. surrounded by RIMX, Vudoo, and Bergara, you can still get the W.

Wow, impressive shooting! You certainly ruled the roost on that match day! Very encouraging too. I just bought an IBI barrel for my (in progress) CZ 457 build. Can't wait to get my chassis (this Black Friday) and get her together!

Reactions: Birddog6424
A new 457 LRP just sold on GB for $1450, MSRP is $1195. I wanted to buy it but when it went above retail I passed. Crazy times!
Wow, For that kind of money, you can build your own custom 457 that will out spec (and likely outshoot) the LRP!

I agree. Thats just about exactly what I have in to my rifle. My specs are listed out above.
That's pretty much what I'm doing now. Following your lead, I'm at:
- New 457 American donor rifle $275 ( $440 minus the $165 recovered after stock and barrel sale)
-IBI barrel $275
-XLR Element 3.0 chassis $470
-ARCA/Pic rails, Bolt knob, etc- $125
Optional:
-Timney Trigger $150
-20/30 Moa rail $80
-Tuner $150-$200

Admittedly the entertainment value of selecting, buying, assembling and tweeking all the above is priceless. :)

Reactions: Birddog6424
- New 457 American donor rifle $275 ( $440 minus the $165 recovered after stock and barrel sale)
-IBI barrel $275
Optional:
-Timney Trigger $150
-20/30 Moa rail $80
-Tuner $150-$200

Admittedly the entertainment value of selecting, buying, assembling and tweeking all the above is priceless. :)
Yep, that's money...

Reactions: WeeHooker
4D726B63-E0CA-431A-9040-53A3E65F4329.jpeg

Recently picked up this 457 MTR… looks to be in absolutely perfect shape. I just ordered a Murphy precision pic rail for it. Not sure how it’ll shoot, seems to have been fired only a hand full of times then traded in. I already planned on a barrel change, shillen, ibi, lilja etc… there’s quite a few out there that make good barrels for these guns

-IBI barrel $275
Optional:
-Timney Trigger $150
-20/30 Moa rail $80
-Tuner $150-$200

Link for the ibi for $275? Was just looking and they’re $440 for a straight taper with threads

Link for the ibi for $275? Was just looking and they’re $440 for a straight taper with threads
Optics planet on sale. I got the 22" for this particular build. They don't have the 20" threaded listed at the moment. They do have Lothar Walther 20" threaded for a little less if that interests you. They run 10-12%+ off sales every other week.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
View attachment 7746988
Recently picked up this 457 MTR… looks to be in absolutely perfect shape. I just ordered a Murphy precision pic rail for it. Not sure how it’ll shoot, seems to have been fired only a hand full of times then traded in. I already planned on a barrel change, shillen, ibi, lilja etc… there’s quite a few out there that make good barrels for these guns
Shoot it first then decide if you need a barrel change. Mine shoots better than I can inside 100 yds with Wolf Match Target.

I just picked up a new MTR also, is the Scar trigger worth it?
I was able to get the factory trigger down to 3.5oz with spring change and polish.
If you are happy, that’s all that matters. I could only get mine to 1#3oz. For me shooting BR the answer is yes.

I didn't think he was producing triggers for the 457. I had heard a limited number of Scar triggers were made for the 457 and thats it.

i have to replace the Boyd At-One stock on my CZ 457, yesterday I ordered a KRG Bravo chassis.
How'd you end up liking it? I just ordered a Bravo from cattleman99 to replace my Boyd's ProVarmint....anticipating good things on the vertical graspers area of the grip and adjustable LOP

Shoot it first then decide if you need a barrel change. Mine shoots better than I can inside 100 yds with Wolf Match Target.
I plan on shooting it out of curiosity, it’s getting a new threaded barrel even if it’s a tac driver, want to use it with my DA Mask. I’ll keep the mtr barrel if she’s a shooter though

I finally found a 457 LRP, got a good deal on it and can't wait to install my Scar trigger and get to the range.
If not a private sale, where did you find your LRP? I've been saving for a 22LR and have narrowed my search to the LRP or A B14R.

I posted a want ad on a gun forum that allows ads with a donation. Two people responded with LGS’s that had the rifle. I had been looking for this rifle for a long time and I’m very happy with the buying transaction.

Last edited:
I posted a want ad on a site that allows ads with a donation. Two people responded with LGS’s that had the rifle. I had been looking for this rifle for a long time and I’m very happy with the buying transaction.
We are going to need pictures and a range report when she arrives!

Last edited:
Just ordered a Viper PST Gen II 5-25 for my 457 Lux, factory 24" barrel. I have a 20 moa rail on it. Any suggestions on ring height with that 50mm objective lens?

I assume you have removed the rear sight leaf. I’ve tried to mount scopes with bigger objectives on Lux and Trainers with Rimfire rings and no rail. It didn’t work for me.

I assume you have removed the rear sight leaf. I’ve tried to mount scopes with bigger objectives on Lux and Trainers with Rimfire rings and no rail. It didn’t work for me.

Yes indeed, rear sight removed when I mounted its current scope. I wrote CZ and asked what thread/size plugs to use for the sight mount holes but never received a reply.

Reactions: Appalachian
I have two other CZ 457's with 20mm rail that I'm using a low ring height on. As long as the rear sight is removed you should be able to get away with low/medium depending on the brand,. If your keeping the LUX stock ( with no cheek piece and dropped comb), your going to want your scope height as low as possible . FWIW, here is my MTR with low rings, 20mm rail and 50mm objective scope.
20210809_203035.jpg

Thank you. It's going into a PDC Custom chassis, as soon as the busy folks at PDC finish and ship my order that is... Really looking forward to trying the new scope and chassis!

I look forward to seeing what you end up with. I have a couple that I wanted to put a bigger scope on just for accuracy testing, I just didn’t want to do it bad enough to buy rings and rail just to test, but if I know it’ll work I might. I have a 457 Trainer that I think might be more accurat than the MTR and VPT MTR I have.

Last edited:
My .22 mag. CZ 457's striker spring gave up the ghost two weeks ago somewhere around a 1500 round count. Happened just as I received the new Lilja match barrel, which made me unsure as to whether it was the spring or the seating/headspace on the barrel.

And it happened quickly. by 50 rounds with the new barrel it was misfiring every other shot.

Ordered a 10% spring for YoDave and just tried it today. Sent ~80 rounds downrange with 4 different brands of ammo - zero failures. Whew. And the barrel is an outstanding shooter! It did reshuffle the accuracy of my top loads. My third best is now my second best and so on. CCI VMAX 30 grainers are still the most accurate though.

I want to do this, how is it scored, where are targets from, is there a link?
Jpenta gave you the link. It is scored worst edge. In other words if the hole breaks out of the circle it is scored the next lower point value. The points are 100, 50, 25, and 10. 2500 is a perfect score. The left most target in the sighter row shows scoring.

Reactions: Boatninja
You’ll need to get a scoring plug for a correct score. Often times the hole won’t break the outer line, but with a scoring plug it will.

Reactions: Boatninja
I’ve shot two matches with two different CZ’s. The first match Inshot with a 457 Varmint MTR, the second with a 452 American. Both times my first card was a 2500, but scores declined on the following cards. My next match will be shot with this setup.

Attachments

• 3951013E-6395-45C1-AC0E-AC39E60583AA.jpeg
    3951013E-6395-45C1-AC0E-AC39E60583AA.jpeg
    788.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I’ve shot two matches with two different CZ’s. The first match Inshot with a 457 Varmint MTR, the second with a 452 American. Both times my first card was a 2500, but scores declined on the following cards. My next match will be shot with this setup.
Is that the VPT MTR? I would have bought that if it had a 20.5” barrel.

I don’t like the 16” either. I went looking for a either a VPT 24” or a VPC 24”. The shop had both, but their test targets were pretty bad. I was eyeing the VPT MTR. I really like the stock. The only reason I hadn’t bought one already was because of the short barrel. I asked to look at the test target and it was a good one. I got a good price on it too. I figured if it wasn’t a shooter I’d put a Lilja barrel on it. I now have my BScar trigger in it.

As for how it stacks up on an ARA target the jury is still out. I shot two 2450’s on a front rest with a 6-24 scope Then I put the bipod on it and shot two 2400’s in heavy switching wind with a 6-24 scope. I was practicing holding for wind which is my biggest detractor. Yesterday I visited a 100 yard indoor range for the first time and it shot like crap. I only shot one card because I was testing different Ammo shooting groups. The target at 50 yards was pretty dark there. I couldn’t see that well. If I moved it to 60 yards there was plenty of light. I somehow mounted the scope (45x45) with a cant. I’ve installed dozens of scopes without issue. It must have rotated while torquing the rings and I didn’t check. That was throwing me off too. In no wind the one card I’ve shot with it that day was a 2350 with a few other line lickers.

I have a Sightron SIII 45X45 fine crosshairs. I’m shooting off of a Randolph Machine front rest with an Edgewood “The Edge” front bag with slick material.

I have the same scope. I like it a lot. I did my research and was lucky enough to be able to look through several scopes at a match including NF Benchrest, Sightron 3 10-50, 45x;5, Weavers. What sold me on the Sightron 45 was price and the 1/10 MOA adjustment.

I noticed you weren’t using sighters at all. Do you use wind flags? Considering that you didn’t shoot sighters at all, that’s a darn good card.

I shot several rounds on a practice target before going straight to the ARA factory. I’m shooting at a nice public range here in Florida, but they don’t allow flags. I have a bench top flag I use here. At my home club I use flags and a Beggs windicator.

Timney came out with a flat trigger bow version of their CZ457 trigger today. I ordered by inferior bent one on Monday... ;) Says it hasn't shipped, trying to get them to change it... I was never able to dial down the weight on the trigger in my CZ below 3lbs. It isn't a bad trigger, especially compared to the standard CZ455 trigger in my other rifle.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine if it helps. The second image is with a new Lilja barrel installed.

i-zrWTFpP-X2.jpg

i-jXfV4x7-X2.jpg
What did you use for shims? I used .006, R50s went fine but Eley 10x and match were hard getting fired cases extrated ? Now went to .008, waiting for a warmer day. I'm new, any help from anyone is greatly appreciated ! I own 2 CZ 457 one has a bad bolt guide. Anyone else had same problem?

What did you use for shims? I used .006, R50s went fine but Eley 10x and match were hard getting fired cases extrated ? Now went to .008, waiting for a warmer day. I'm new, any help from anyone is greatly appreciated ! I own 2 CZ 457 one has a bad bolt guide. Anyone else had same problem?
Hi, no shims. The .22 mag is cut to exact SAAMI specs. And it's a shooter :eek: 😊! Did you read their pages on the site about shimming? I might be wrong but I think I read that there are such variances with .22 LR ammo. I think you might be on the right track going to .008. Is there a shim combo that will make it .007? If so I would try that first. Lilja recommends torque on the barrel around 35-40 inch-pounds. CZ on the other hand recommends 48-inch pounds (video below). I went with CZ's recommended torque, which if you did not the additional tightening might make the chamber go even tighter, in which case .008 might be just right.

In any case, I would email Carson Lilja at [email protected] and ask for his advice. He knows .22 inside out - a lot more than I do....

Please let us know how it goes!

JAS-SH

Last edited:
My 457 with a 1-9 Lilja barrel was not great in accuracy with CX and SK LR ammo at 50 yards, like a 1.5 to 2 inches. After about 30-40 shots, it started to not extract. I contacted Lilja and they said to shorten the chamber by .002. In the mean time I added a EC tuner, set at bottom. I went to rezero and tune, but it was too windy to really tune it- but the groups were pretty tight as is- much better. Between zeroing, some dope work and a competition, I probably put 150 rounds through it with out any extraction issues.

Shortening the chamber was not the way I thought it would go- but it worked! Solved the extraction and accuracy issues.

I’m spinning up two 457s; one for me and one for the boy, with an eye towards long range 22lr- hence the 1-9 barrels. The second one I’m going to hold off on a tuner, so can run A:B experiments.

YMMV