• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I don't need any (I've already got 15), but LG-Outdoors near me has eight 12004 poly 452/457 magazines available at a price of $33 each, listed here.

Reactions: lash
I’m still holding out for a couple billet 13 rounders.
Final QC checks are being done this week on what will be the final production versions.....including hard anodized coatings.

Final QC checks are being done this week on what will be the final production versions.....including hard anodized coatings.
Y’all been giving those mags hell I bet at matches and the range. Tossing them on the ground loading them in the rifle pressing against bags and barricades too

Y’all been giving those mags hell I bet at matches and the range. Tossing them on the ground loading them in the rifle pressing against bags and barricades too
The 2 test ones I have function well and have been shot and tested by quite a few people at local matches......they are using my 10rd stock mag springs, and the springs for the 13 rd are in process. These are very very close......beauty shots will be posted later with the hard anodized on.

Reactions: lash and RedDawn
The 2 test ones I have function well and have been shot and tested by quite a few people at local matches......they are using my 10rd stock mag springs, and the springs for the 13 rd are in process. These are very very close......beauty shots will be posted later with the hard anodized on.
Can’t wait I’m looking forward to getting my hands on one … I’ll be showing it off around the SE for PRS and NRL

Thanks

Was playing around with the krg bravo and figured I would try to switch to the xray rear. Took a little bit of trimming on the grip, very minimal, but it bolted right up.
Nice - how does it handle? I was hoping they came out with a Whiskey 3 rear end for it. Does it affect/alter the weight/balance? Was looking at going Bravo, as this is an all in one rifle for fun/hunt and occasional competition. Not looking for super heavy, but must be balanced.

Last edited:
I recently bought a used 457 w/Lilja in a MDT XRS. Can anyone with this action/chassis setup tell me what you are torquing the action screws to? I watch an MDT video that said 60 in lbs, but my bolt bound up. I later found that was for a center fire. I later went to 40 and the bolt smoothed out. Anyone tried different settings?

I recently bought a used 457 w/Lilja in a MDT XRS. Can anyone with this action/chassis setup tell me what you are torquing the action screws to? I watch an MDT video that said 60 in lbs, but my bolt bound up. I later found that was for a center fire. I later went to 40 and the bolt smoothed out. Anyone tried different settings?
I'm torqued to 35 in a krg bravo.

Reactions: LoCal247
He’s got a $1500 budget I think I can get him a decent setup that balances so he can actually make so hits and stick with it.

Are all the different CZ 457 models using the same action/bottom metal so they all work in aftermarket chassis or stocks or is it only certain models?
Yes, Mostly....with the exception of the American synthetic and THB (Thumbhole). Those rifles don't use bottom metal . Those actions can be fit into any other CZ 457 stock if you purchase bottom metal ( or go with something like a KRG bravo that doesn't require any.)

p.s. Many of us have played around with torque settings. Personally I find all my (5) CZ's like 20-25#. FWIW the FAQ section of the CZ USA website states 25 in-lb for wood stocks and 35# for chassis, Keep in mind that the 457's action isn't as robust as a Rem 700 footprint B14R or Vudoo. I'd be afraid to over torque one in any chassis. I believe the risk of deforming the receiver is real if you push it's limits.

Last edited:
Mags are still moving forward. Springs are in and good to go. First mags run will be a limited clear anodizing since we've had a ton of interest in the raw aluminum. The clear will protect better than just leaving it raw machined although really it's a metal mag so it's not like you can hurt it. The clear will be limited qty's and then black will be the standard so if you want to wait on the black rest assure that it's coming. If things stay on schedule be looking at the site for the 13rd within a couple of weeks. Coming it hot right after that is the 10rd for guys in "those" states, and then a 15rd bench version for guys who want all the rounds and don't mind it curving forward, should be nice for bench/prone days.

The 10rd is looking cool as well!

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 59
Nice - how does it handle? I was hoping they came out with a Whiskey 3 rear end for it. Does it affect/alter the weight/balance? Was looking at going Bravo, as this is an all in one rifle for fun/hunt and occasional competition. Not looking for super heavy, but must be balanced.
I am pretty sure that the xray back end is lighter than the bravo but I am not positive. Its not going to balance without some weights on the front of it, Ive get two sets on it and a different forend on it so I could use the weights. Handles pretty well but it would be heavy for sure as a hunting rifle to carry.

I am pretty sure that the xray back end is lighter than the bravo but I am not positive. Its not going to balance without some weights on the front of it, Ive get two sets on it and a different forend on it so I could use the weights. Handles pretty well but it would be heavy for sure as a hunting rifle to carry.
I spoke to KRG they are working on a Whiskey 3 backend for the Bravo that will work with CZ and T1x(maybe folding?) - no ETA. So I will be waiting for it. Hopefully they do a complete chassis with folding option. I really rather not have to buy a Bravo and get the Whiskey 3 backend separate.

Mags are still moving forward. Springs are in and good to go. First mags run will be a limited clear anodizing since we've had a ton of interest in the raw aluminum. The clear will protect better than just leaving it raw machined although really it's a metal mag so it's not like you can hurt it. The clear will be limited qty's and then black will be the standard so if you want to wait on the black rest assure that it's coming. If things stay on schedule be looking at the site for the 13rd within a couple of weeks. Coming it hot right after that is the 10rd for guys in "those" states, and then a 15rd bench version for guys who want all the rounds and don't mind it curving forward, should be nice for bench/prone days.

The 10rd is looking cool as well!

Just a little curious, is there a reason why 13rd capacity is chosen instead of 10rd or 15rd? I only ask since it's easier for me to drop 5/10rds out of the tray than anything under that.

• Haha
I spoke to KRG they are working on a Whiskey 3 backend for the Bravo that will work with CZ and T1x(maybe folding?) - no ETA. So I will be waiting for it. Hopefully they do a complete chassis with folding option. I really rather not have to buy a Bravo and get the Whiskey 3 backend separate.
CZ 457 in Whiskey 3 chassis

Attachments

• CZ457 02.jpg
    CZ457 02.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 153
  • CZ457 04.jpg
    CZ457 04.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 162
Just a little curious, is there a reason why 13rd capacity is chosen instead of 10rd or 15rd? I only ask since it's easier for me to drop 5/10rds out of the tray than anything under that.
13 was chosen first since it's geared toward positional shooting and that's what I wanted for my son's rifle lol. The 10 and 15 are coming as well, just already had the 13 started when we decided to jump into volume production.

Reactions: K2e2vin
Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread, 15 round mags have an issue with barricades and bags. For bench, okay. I’m all in for a couple 13 rounders as soon as they’re available.

I'm curious how easy is it to reach the mag release with the new 13 rounder? Ive heard the ACC is pretty impossible to mag change with mag extensions...

I'm curious how easy is it to reach the mag release with the new 13 rounder? Ive heard the ACC is pretty impossible to mag change with mag extensions...
It’s a fair question. There is not much clearance between the mag extensions and the mag. I bought a metal mag from czparts overseas. It was too big for the mag well and then jammed the release latch tight. Not enough latch movement available to unlatch the mag.

I had to remove the action from the chassis and remove the mag well. Then pop the pin out of the extended release and remove it to free the magazine.

I think that is is a great opportunity for some in that business, like Anarchy Arms, Area401, MTM and a few others.

Design an extended mag latch that will work with 13 and 15 round mags. I’m picturing something slightly angled forward or offset such that it would still fit behind an Arca rail, yet allow for heavy mags and the varying tolerances there of.

I know I’m not the only person that would get one right away.

Reactions: Mr. Z
It’s a fair question. There is not much clearance between the mag extensions and the mag. I bought a metal mag from czparts overseas. It was too big for the mag well and then jammed the release latch tight. Not enough latch movement available to unlatch the mag.

I had to remove the action from the chassis and remove the mag well. Then pop the pin out of the extended release and remove it to free the magazine.

I think that is is a great opportunity for some in that business, like Anarchy Arms, Area401, MTM and a few others.

Design an extended mag latch that will work with 13 and 15 round mags. I’m picturing something slightly angled forward or offset such that it would still fit behind an Arca rail, yet allow for heavy mags and the varying tolerances there of.

I know I’m not the only person that would get one right away.
We're on it!

CZ 457 in Whiskey 3 chassis
Did you do this yourself? How was it done? looks like you are bedding the 457 action to a regular Whiskey3, as the front end looks to be standard Whiskey 3. Not the Bravo. Any issues with the magwell etc? The thing KRG is working on is using the Bravo front end with a Whiskey 3 backend I believe.

If its anything like the Xray all he did was remove the bravo parts from the backbone and installed the whiskey front then trimmed the grip on the backend and installed the rear end.

Did you do this yourself? How was it done? looks like you are bedding the 457 action to a regular Whiskey3, as the front end looks to be standard Whiskey 3. Not the Bravo. Any issues with the magwell etc? The thing KRG is working on is using the Bravo front end with a Whiskey 3 backend I believe.
I had a Whiskey-3 for a Remington 700 SA lying around - used the Bravo backbone and trigger guard and fitted the W-3 forend, grips & rear. No mods and trimming required and no issues with the magwell.

The long awaited stamp for the can came in for the 457. I’ve got a KRG Bravo on the way and I haven’t been this excited to shoot a 22 since I was like 12.

Trigger could use some work. I’ve seen timney makes a trigger but I’d rather throw that kind of money at ammo. There is the spring swap which is easier on the budget. I’m realistically looking to have the trigger a little smoother and be right around one pound. Would this be in the realm of a sling kit and polish then?

The long awaited stamp for the can came in for the 457. I’ve got a KRG Bravo on the way and I haven’t been this excited to shoot a 22 since I was like 12.

Trigger could use some work. I’ve seen timney makes a trigger but I’d rather throw that kind of money at ammo. There is the spring swap which is easier on the budget. I’m realistically looking to have the trigger a little smoother and be right around one pound. Would this be in the realm of a sling kit and polish then?
Yes, quite possible to get a good trigger easily.
I was after a Timney, but after waiting for a year (!) and no trigger arriving I gave up.
By that time I'd done the trigger polish and light spring job instead.
Only polished the sear surface of the trigger on a 3000grit waterstone.
Added a Ruger 10-22 spring shortened to 9.7mm and I have a great trigger.
Lovely and crisp, no back lash, no creep.
Use the rifle for indoor benchrest and it's fine.
I used the Ruger spring because I'd read about that on a forum somewhere. I had tried to get some McMaster-Carr springs but they won't send overseas!
So yes...you can get a good trigger with a wee bit of effort.

*Typo in the last one. Sling kit was supposed to be spring kit.

A 10/22 spring? No shit.

I did a decent trigger job on an older marlin 22 back in the day so this shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m definitely leaning that way now over the timney. I’ll check into the 10/22 spring, I hadn’t heard that option before. I kept getting the McMaster option and the yodave one.

Thanks for point me in the right direction, it’s really appreciated.

Reactions: Grey Kiwi
*Typo in the last one. Sling kit was supposed to be spring kit.

A 10/22 spring? No shit.

I did a decent trigger job on an older marlin 22 back in the day so this shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m definitely leaning that way now over the timney. I’ll check into the 10/22 spring, I hadn’t heard that option before. I kept getting the McMaster option and the yodave one.

Thanks for point me in the right direction, it’s really appreciated.
Yep, lots of options for springs.
Lowey in Australia do a spring kit too. I recently bought a CZ455 Varmint so used a Lowey spring kit in that.
http://loweyproducts.com/products.html
Just scroll down to see what they make.
I'm very happy with the Ruger spring though. My trigger is not set 'light as a feather' that some folks like...but it is very light and safe.
I can set it finer but prefer not too.

Reactions: Keel Haul and lash
Today I took the stock off and fiddled with the adjustment screws. I think I got it in the neighborhood of a pound and half. I did blast the trigger with some carb cleaner and it really got rid of most of the gritty feel. I’ll give it a try when the Bravo shows up and see how it does and if I’m not satisfied with the trigger I’ll do the spring for sure.

I’ll give y’all a run down in a couple of weeks after parts show up.

Reactions: lash and Grey Kiwi
Question on a snap cap extraction issue.

Have not fired a live round out of a new 457 scout. Have tried some dry fire with snap caps, and the snap cap gets lodged in the chamber and fails to extract.

I read from the CZ FAQ that their barrels are tight, and a .22 sized cleaning rod would be too big for the barrel. Found this out the hard way.

I’m wondering if this is causing the snap cap to fail as well. Is this normal? Should I go ahead and live fire or get fixed / send in for warranty?

Question on a snap cap extraction issue.

Have not fired a live round out of a new 457 scout. Have tried some dry fire with snap caps, and the snap cap gets lodged in the chamber and fails to extract.

I read from the CZ FAQ that their barrels are tight, and a .22 sized cleaning rod would be too big for the barrel. Found this out the hard way.

I’m wondering if this is causing the snap cap to fail as well. Is this normal? Should I go ahead and live fire or get fixed / send in for warranty?
Live fire. Some snap caps aren’t up to par.

We also have done extensive testing to confirm these are compatible across various stocks and chassis combos.

I have used these for numerous matches these last few months with no issues, and let others try them out after matches without fail.

Not a fan of the plastic factory unit so I’m definitely in for some of those mags as well.
The plastic CZ mags actually work really well, as do the 10 round versions. Mine have thousands of rounds through them without a hitch. I’m in for some 13 round mags though. Holding my breath until then.

I haven't had any issues at all with my plastic ones, I couldn't even tell you how many thousands of rounds they have. The reason for the billet mag was something we wanted to try and take out some of the issues that extensions can cause.

Reactions: lash and walterg
The plastic CZ mags actually work really well, as do the 10 round versions. Mine have thousands of rounds through them without a hitch. I’m in for some 13 round mags though. Holding my breath until then.
I don’t want to imply there was an issue with the mags because I haven’t had an issue with the one time I’ve had the 457 out so far. It’s just the plastic one felt... cheap... I guess is the best way to describe it, compared to other metal magazines I’ve had with other 22’s I’ve owned.

Reactions: Frankr and lash
Today I took the stock off and fiddled with the adjustment screws. I think I got it in the neighborhood of a pound and half. I did blast the trigger with some carb cleaner and it really got rid of most of the gritty feel. I’ll give it a try when the Bravo shows up and see how it does and if I’m not satisfied with the trigger I’ll do the spring for sure.

I’ll give y’all a run down in a couple of weeks after parts show up.
It's not hard to get the trigger pull into the single digit range with just a spring swap and some adjusting. I've done over 10 457's to date myself. Most of mine settle into a very crisp, consistent 10 oz which is where I like them. Others report going lighter than 6 oz with the same treatment but I have not done so myself. Procedures /info can be found over at RFC. BTW, I found the two Timny's to be a disappointment for anything under 1# or so. . Any attempt to get them below 14 oz or so would result in wild variations in break values ( Read swings from 5 oz to 12 oz). When I contacted Timney about this, they said that was normally and the Triger was not designed to go below 10 oz. They also went on to say that that 10 oz was measured at the very tip of the trigger (which is not how most of us use them). On a factory set "10 oz trigger" my Lyman scale was showing 1#, 2 oz mid blade.

I haven't had any issues at all with my plastic ones, I couldn't even tell you how many thousands of rounds they have. The reason for the billet mag was something we wanted to try and take out some of the issues that extensions can cause.
My plastic mags feel cheap but run better than my metal 5 rounders. Got a 5 round metal mag that is totally POS.

Metal mag feels better and looks better but performance isn’t as good.

The only steel CZ mag I've ever tried was the 5-rd one that came with the Varmint MTR. Worked ok I guess, but I didn't use it often enough to really put any large number of rounds through it - I've only owned two of the poly CZ 10rd mags, and have used the dickens out of them, with no issues. I would like to get my hands on a couple of the L3i 10rd mags, but only because they appear to be a high quality unit. I've never shot my Shilen barreled 457 American or VPT in competition because I had a Vudoo repeater before buying any of the 457s, and competition was the main justification for buying the Vudoo. One of these days though, I'd like to run the 457 VPT in a match, just to compare it to the V22.

My plastic mags feel cheap but run better than my metal 5 rounders. Got a 5 round metal mag that is totally POS.

Metal mag feels better and looks better but performance isn’t as good.
These aren’t those stock ones, and do run much better than the stock plastic ones.

Reactions: Frankr
These aren’t those stock ones, and do run much better than the stock plastic ones.
What do you mean by that? I realize that the 10 rounders are not supplied with a rifle as purchased, but they are most certainly stock CZ mags.