• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Well just ordered a Lilja 22in .900 straight contour for the 457 MTR. JFive what ammo worked best for you??
Thanks
I have a 23" Lilja. I have been shooting SK Rifle Match and it shoots well, but after my last range trip it looks like SK Standard+ shoots better. SK rifle match is around 1055fps at the muzzle and SK Standard+ is around 1035fps at the muzzle.

Reactions: lash
Just be sure to lot test. I’ve had stellar SK red as well as SK yellow shoot amazing, and Long Range not so much. It’s amazing the variety of performance to be found lot testing.

More lot testing is always fun. Would be great from a price point if SK works. Lapua, Eley and RWS are more costly.
Right now in my 457 at 25 yards Center X shoots 1 ragged hole groups but it not as good as RWS R100 or Special Match does at 50 to 200 yards..
I did a official 25 shot Rimfire 50 yard target test and this was the scores
RWS 100 shot 247 out of 250 with 9x
RWS Special Match shot 245 with 6x (Had 1 flyer in the 8 ring)
Lapua Center X shot 241 with 3x ( Had 2 flyers,1 in the 8 ring and 1 way out in the 6 ring) Disappointed in the Centex X.

It's strange cause with the same lot of Center X shot 247 11x at last months 50 yard match( no flyers just 3 in the 9 ring. Both days had very little to no wind.

Thank you for the info, Lash. Did you have to relieve the stock to inset the t-nuts? I'm wondering if the barrel is close enough to contact the t-nuts?
I first used a 3/4” forstner bit to relieve the stock at each location, then drilled through with the right drill for the body of the t-nut. I didn’t want to take any chances of barrel contact either.

Forstner bits:

1700073583667.png

Reactions: TripleBull
I first used a 3/4” forstner bit to relieve the stock at each location, then drilled through with the right drill for the body of the t-nut. I didn’t want to take any chances of barrel contact either.

Forstner bits:

View attachment 8272837

And after i get the screw cut to length, i back fill the hole with 5 minute epoxy so that nothing comes loose and humidity cannot get into the wood.

David

I've had my 457 V-MTR since Spring and have found SK+ and SK-RM to shoot very well for 'medium-priced ammo', and the Lapua Center-X was much better. The diff between 0.4-6xx" groups to 0.2-3xx" groups. And I've found that CCI-SV does almost as well as the SK flavors. I got some SK Magazine to use as 'foulers', it's a bit cheaper to throw 10 or so of these first after a cleaning. I'm using an Athlon Argos 8-34x56 FFP, on an Area 419 30* rail and I find the bubble helps tighten groups more than without using it. I've got my Timney trigger down to about 5-6-oz and that helps too.
CZ-457 6-03-2023 edit.jpg

Reactions: WeeHooker and RwP
I've had my 457 V-MTR since Spring and have found SK+ and SK-RM to shoot very well for 'medium-priced ammo', and the Lapua Center-X was much better. The diff between 0.4-6xx" groups to 0.2-3xx" groups. And I've found that CCI-SV does almost as well as the SK flavors. I got some SK Magazine to use as 'foulers', it's a bit cheaper to throw 10 or so of these first after a cleaning. I'm using an Athlon Argos 8-34x56 FFP, on an Area 419 30* rail and I find the bubble helps tighten groups more than without using it. I've got my Timney trigger down to about 5-6-oz and that helps too.
View attachment 8274458
I’ve used the CCI-SV before too and currently use mostly SK+ for PRS22 matches. But it really depends on the lot# for each of them. Neither is really match grade for groups, though you can occasionally get nice small ones when the planets align and you don’t get a flyer.

Reactions: Fasteddie01
I did some lower end group testing today and shot Wolf Match, CCI Standard and and CCI Green Tag. I used an IBS Rimfire 50 yard target.
There are 25 targets so 250 is a perfect score

Wolf Match = 226 3x . One flyer missed the entire circle by 1/4 if an inch
Standard = 237 1x. There were 4 flyers in the 8 ring the rest were in the 10 ring.
CCI Green Tag = 240 4x There 2 in the 8 ring and in the 9 ring.

Previous post results.
RWS 100 shot 247 out of 250 with 9x
RWS Special Match shot 245 with 6x (Had 1 flyer in the 8 ring)
Lapua Center X shot 241 with 3x ( Had 2 flyers,1 in the 8 ring and 1 way out in the 6 ring) Disappointed in the Centex X.

So for me RWS R-100 is what works best at 50 yards. The Center X disappointed me as it shot waY better in my Vudoo then in the CZ 457 MTR.
When I get the new 22 inch Lilja barrel and get it broke in am going to look more the SK line and see how it shoots. I really what to try LR Match and Biathlon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boatninja
My XLR delivered today, and I was able to get the 457 together. Now, need to get it sighted in and find the right ammo. I’m looking forward to having some fun with this.

My local club has ARA matches, and figure they might be a good way to have some fun.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 73
I’m looking at a 457 MTR to replace my VQ summit that I just can’t get to shoot consistently. The MTR stock looks relatively similar to my Centurion I run on my match rifle. Could someone measure the distance from the front of the grip to the face of the trigger for me please? As well as face of trigger to end of butt stock? Thanks!!!

I’m looking at a 457 MTR to replace my VQ summit that I just can’t get to shoot consistently. The MTR stock looks relatively similar to my Centurion I run on my match rifle. Could someone measure the distance from the front of the grip to the face of the trigger for me please? As well as face of trigger to end of butt stock? Thanks!!!
Front of the grip to center of curve of the trigger is 1.375". ( 7/8" from front of the grip to the back of the trigger guard and 1/2" from there to trigger.) LOP is 13.5". Very comfortable rifle to shoot off the bench.

Attachments

• CZ MTR Ss3i.jpg
    CZ MTR Ss3i.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: CShooter92
I am working on refinishing my MTR stock. It has beautiful grain that CZ did a good job of hiding. The issue is that i want to remove the recoil pad. I can take out the 2 screws that hold it on. They are T15 screws but the recoil pad doesn’t separate from the stock. I hit it with my rubber mallet. But it didn’t budge. Are they glued on or???

Thanks

David

From what I've read (haven't taken mine off) it may just be adhering due to 'tacky finish' or there may be a light adhesive. Most folk have just used a thin knife like an OLFA to pry the pad off. Just use caution . . .

I am working on refinishing my MTR stock. It has beautiful grain that CZ did a good job of hiding. The issue is that i want to remove the recoil pad. I can take out the 2 screws that hold it on. They are T15 screws but the recoil pad doesn’t separate from the stock. I hit it with my rubber mallet. But it didn’t budge. Are they glued on or???

Thanks

David
I've taken several off for refinish. I'm not sure if it's adhesive or just the stock finish that glues them on but they can be stuck pretty good. I always just give them a few good raps with a rubber mallet. I bet your amazed with your results. I still don't understand why CZ uses that ultramud finish.

I've taken several off for refinish. I'm not sure if it's adhesive or just the stock finish that glues them on but they can be stuck pretty good. I always just give them a few good raps with a rubber mallet. I bet your amazed with your results. I still don't understand why CZ uses that ultramud finish.
You are right that it looks so much better. I will try harder tomorrow.

Here is the my MTR stock after being stripped with laquer thinner and the sanded and steel wooled, then 1 coat of stain. It looked nothing like this when I started.

DavidView attachment 8302373View attachment 8302373View attachment 8302374View attachment 8302375View attachment 8302376
Looks like you got a nice one. It's got a nice mix of color variation, some tiger stripe and interesting grain. That should turn out nice if you take your time. What are you using for finish? I usually use tru oil but have recently had good luck with minwax wipe on poly too.

Attachments

• MTR stock.jpg
    MTR stock.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 63
David, Nice figuring on the stock. Mine didn't have the 'mud', but I cleaned it a bit anyway. I used hot water and Dawn soap, and did several washes (4-5?) until a white rag came off clean. The OEM stain must have been a bit 'soluble', it lightened a good deal. Then I just gave 4-5 coats of Minwax Paste Floor wax - it's meant to be walked on but I don't plan to go that far :rolleyes: Turned out pretty good for a 'wash 'n' wax job'. I plan to take off some of the color of the stippling this Winter.
DSCN5636.JPG

CZ457 Butt Pic Feb-2023.JPG

Looks like you got a nice one. It's got a nice mix of color variation, some tiger stripe and interesting grain. That should turn out nice if you take your time. What are you using for finish? I usually use tru oil but have recently had good luck with minwax wipe on poly too.
I have used Minwax Special Walnut for the stain. I now have 2 coats on it of stain on it. Now I will start sealing it with Minwax Polycrylic. It is a water based urethane. I used to use Minwax Polyurethane but since it was mineral spirits based it would disolve some of the stain. The Polycrylic is water based so I don't think I will have that issue. I normally use about 5 to 6 coats that were 400 grit sanded between each coat. the final coat gets 0000 steel wool and then renaissance waxed. The reason I don't use tru oil is that even after it dries our bore solvents will attack it and make it splotchy. It is cold here in NC right now so I can't shoot rimfire so this has been a good time for doing the pillar bedding and refinishing the rifle. Keeps me off the streets :)

David

Here are pictures of the refinished stock with 4 coats of polycrylic and a final 0000 buffing with renaissance wax at least now it looks good doing what ever it will do🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4002.jpeg
    IMG_4002.jpeg
    749.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4005.jpeg
    IMG_4005.jpeg
    850.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    818.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4006.jpeg
    IMG_4006.jpeg
    711.8 KB · Views: 68
Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’ll just ask here.

Been contemplating on getting a new barrel for my MTR. Am looking at the proof CF 18.5” option or maybe a Lilja. In reality my MTR factory barrel shoots great and only has 2k rounds through it and perhaps most importantly it loves cheap Norma Tac 22. What can I really expect from replacing it?

You can see my post up the page a bit with my CZ 457 MTR with Lilja 22in .900 barrel.
Here is a picture of the 2 best 5 shot groups I shoot. It's RWS R100 at 50 yards. Here is a target i shot with Eley Match Black box with about 2 mph wind . I can tell you the Lilja is better then stock as the groups have been tighter.

IMG_0327.jpgIMG_0339.jpg

Just picked up a as new complete 457 action minus barrel and stock for 225. I already had a VP 16" threaded barrel laying around. I been using a LH 457 for NRL22 since they came available. Just got to make up my mind on chassis but I do use a Gray Birch on my Ruger CSC 1022.

Reactions: Sc0-
Anyone have experience with the EABCO barrel? Looking for an upgrade from my scout barrel but not looking to spend $600.

https://eabco.com/eabco-cz-457-accuracy-barrel-24-stainless/
No experience with this particular barrel ( I didn't even know they made a barrel for the CZ to be truthful.) I did have an EABCO branded bull barrel for a Ruger 10/22 some years back. It shot well but not wowing by any means. I'd be real interested to know how this one shoots as I especialy like the 24" length. FWIW, others to look at in that "mid" price range would be a factory MTR barrel, IBI , Lothar Walther, Pete's P{pillars, or even a used Lilja.

Reactions: SoftCookie
Thanks!! I was a little tricky with the heads up wind today right in the face. Very happy with the barrels performance. The last 2 items to complete the build is chassis and a Herrell's tuner.

Thanks!! I was a little tricky with the heads up wind today right in the face. Very happy with the barrels performance. The last 2 items to complete the build is chassis and a Herrell's tuner.
What chassis are you going to run?

Looking at MDT ACC, Woox Furiosa or MPA BA Hybrid. Either way it;s not cheap.
I just got my Vudoo 360 week of the 18th...Its in a matrix pro which I was unsure if I'd like it or not after getting and shooting it I really like the chassis...one thing I did not like with the ACC was the twist in the fore end without the internal weights but a great chassis.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
Seems the CZ MTR chassis are actually made here in the USA.
I have a 457 Varmint Precision Chassis model in that same factory chassis. The rifle is VERY adjustable and stable. I've made a few improvements to the Luth-AR buttstock but have to say I like it allot for the general /mostly off the bench shooting I do. Mine also wears a Lilja barrel. This rig will rival my Vudoo when I do my part.

Attachments

• 20231229_105753.jpg
    20231229_105753.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Just mounted our VMTR Barreled action in the Manners stock (from the VPT MTR) and I absolutely love it.

1704059226670.png

Parts list:
  • CZ 457 Varmint MTR Barreled Action
  • McMaster Carr 612 Trigger Spring and Polished Sear (~1.5 lb pull)
  • Area 419 30 MOA Rail
  • Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50
  • Vortex Pro Series 30mm Medium Rings
  • Area 419 Weighted ARCA Rail
  • Caldwell Swivel Bipod with Area 419 Harris ARCA Lock Adapter
  • Gray Ops CNC Shorty Bag Stop
  • Area 419 Bolt Knob

Just mounted our VMTR Barreled action in the Manners stock (from the VPT MTR) and I absolutely love it.

View attachment 8310612

Parts list:
  • CZ 457 Varmint MTR Barreled Action
  • McMaster Carr 612 Trigger Spring and Polished Sear (~1.5 lb pull)
  • Area 419 30 MOA Rail
  • Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50
  • Vortex Pro Series 30mm Medium Rings
  • Area 419 Weighted ARCA Rail
  • Caldwell Swivel Bipod with Area 419 Harris ARCA Lock Adapter
  • Gray Ops CNC Shorty Bag Stop
  • Area 419 Bolt Knob

Love this gun looks great!!

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
I plan on pulling the new CZ 457 Jaguar apart as only need the action. When I get it I will post in PX the barrel and stock when I am ready to sell.