• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ455 Modification Thread

I have the 455 with the manners stock. 22magnum. After shooting this the other day and then my Ruger 77/22 VBZ- I love my ruger. I like my CZ.

Interesting opinion, I find that when those two guns(Clark Custom Ruger and CZ 455VPT) are side by side I much preferred the CZ. Mainly because it seemed the bolt was harder to operate on the Clark due to it not being as circular as the CZs bolt. Plus the ergos of the CZ stock were much better in my opinion.

Ben

Thank you. I think a regular campfield knob will work on a CZ455. The tactical and hunter knobs may be too large dont you think?

Yeah, I should have been more specific. The campfire line of knobs are the ones guys are using. The others are probably too big.

The issue is finding someone to install the bolt knob. It seems the CZ bolt is HARD. Several smiths have said not only no, but hell no.

Some have had them installed by cutting off the stock knob and welding on a threaded rod.

But if anyone has someone who will do the install, I have the knob and bolt. :)

Yes I have installed 2 and I will say they are a pain to install. And not only because the steel is hard, but mostly because of the geometry of the bolt, it is very difficult to hold the bolt while it is being machined on.

When things slow down for me, I have a jig in the process that is almost finished and I would love to take on orders. But until things at work slows down a bit I won't be able to do any even though I would really love to get started now.

I will say that I have oversized bolts my two CZ rifles. It is a MAJOR improvement over the little round ball.

Ben

Here is my 455 which is currently awaiting new glass. It has trigger shimmed and spring swap, lilja straight .900 barrel with eps match chamber, dip aluminum mag well, single shot adapter, J&P firing pin spring, pillar bedded and glass bedding with first 3" of barrel channel (they shoot best this way), and stock refinished to a color that fits my tastes.

So if all goes well, I will be the new owner of a CZ455 PT bought from a member here after after making an offer I could not refuse. I should have the rifle Saturday and will be able to start using all the great advise and techniques shown in these threads. My understanding is the rifle has had some trigger work and the bolt action smoothed. I'm guessing pillars and full bedding will be first on the list. And a Lilja barrel may happen sooner than later. Thank you all for the great advise and look forward to increasing my chances at a better showing in the six groups of five challenge.

My CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer.
16.5" Factory barrel 1/2-28.
Pillar and glass bedded.
Yo-Dave trigger kit tuned to 1.5lbs.
Bolt knob threaded and custom knob made.
Metal Cerakoted in Magpul FDE.
Bolt oxidized to turn black.(Couldn't stand the shiny bolt..)
Manners T4 painted to mimic Mcmillan swirl patterns.
DIP 25 MOA rail.
Weaver low tactical rings.
SWFA 12x.
Custom bipod rail I built, Atlas bipod.
Tac-Ops cheek pad modified to hold mags.(Need some more mags...)

120koxj.jpg

Shoots around .6ish at 50yds right now. I am still working on getting that back to the .2 groups it shot before the Cerakote. Thought I'd share..

Ben

Wow!!!! Very very nice.

My CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer.
16.5" Factory barrel 1/2-28.
Pillar and glass bedded.
Yo-Dave trigger kit tuned to 1.5lbs.
Bolt knob threaded and custom knob made.
Metal Cerakoted in Magpul FDE.
Bolt oxidized to turn black.(Couldn't stand the shiny bolt..)
Manners T4 painted to mimic Mcmillan swirl patterns.
DIP 25 MOA rail.
Weaver low tactical rings.
SWFA 12x.
Custom bipod rail I built, Atlas bipod.
Tac-Ops cheek pad modified to hold mags.(Need some more mags...)

120koxj.jpg

Shoots around .6ish at 50yds right now. I am still working on getting that back to the .2 groups it shot before the Cerakote. Thought I'd share..

Ben

I tried out my home made jig for Savage MKIIs with a CZ bolt handle and think it worked pretty well. I wasn't too sure due to the funny angles that are going on with those handles. Yes, they are pretty hard.

Will you do them for others?

I have a Kampfeld knob I need installed on a CZ bolt.

I would be interested in sending my bolt in as well.

I tried out my home made jig for Savage MKIIs with a CZ bolt handle and think it worked pretty well. I wasn't too sure due to the funny angles that are going on with those handles. Yes, they are pretty hard.

Ahhh..... Beat me to it! I was hoping to get some work done on my jig sometime this week. Looks good!

Ben

I will add my interest to the list of those looking for a bolt knob installation. Not needing a short turn around as much as a good job.

If you are taking the work please post here or feel free to PM me.

Regards....

I would love to start doing it, just trying to get all of my stuff lined out before I start taking on orders..

Ben

Beny if u start let me know! Would anyone be interested in jeweling there 455 bolts? I'll have a new press soon and will be diving in and if all goes well I'd being willing to do some bolts. Would also do J&P firing pin springs as well.

If someone would start doing this work, there is obviously a pent up backlog.

And BenY, remember, you owe me one of the first installs. :)

You're on the list! Trying to work out the kinks. If the jig works well enough I might try and throw it in the CNC mill to get it done, either mill should be fine though!

Ben

Ben and DJ,
New 455 so I have a blank slate that needs work. The Lilja 22lr that is on order with DJ is a start. Bolt knobs etc is upcoming so let me know when you are ready. I also think that dlouie is up for about the same.

Dang....dont that just sound like a GB?!?!?!

All kidding aside, a post here or PM would be great when you are set up and ready to go

I'll let you guys know as soon as I am ready to start taking on orders. In the mean time if mscott is willing to take on orders them I say by all means go for it! Looks like he is ready right now, I'm still getting all my ducks in a row.

Ben

Ahhh..... Beat me to it! I was hoping to get some work done on my jig sometime this week. Looks good!

Ben

I'm just a hobbyist at this stuff. Here's the thread on my jig that I used http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...09751-savage-mkii-bolt-knob-my-jig-works.html
I do a few on the side here and there, but am not in business. I'd be interested to see how your jig turns out. I think a better way to go would be to make a jig to hold the handle itself after taking it off of the bolt body. I might try that just for S&Gs.

BenY, I assume you saw this in the other thread.

after we found out about hardnes of the outside of knob, he would have used a grinder frist, befor setting up in jig for the cnn final trun down an thread
good luck, i think i was worth it with use of a scope

I'm just a hobbyist at this stuff. Here's the thread on my jig that I used http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...09751-savage-mkii-bolt-knob-my-jig-works.html
I do a few on the side here and there, but am not in business. I'd be interested to see how your jig turns out. I think a better way to go would be to make a jig to hold the handle itself after taking it off of the bolt body. I might try that just for S&Gs.

That is pretty much how this jig works, not super complicated but plenty of angles that had me scratching my head for quite a while!

BenY, I assume you saw this in the other thread.

I didn't see that but the first thing I will do is either grind off the outer shell or mill the very top off, then put it in the jig!

Ben

Here is my 455 which is currently awaiting new glass. It has trigger shimmed and spring swap, lilja straight .900 barrel with eps match chamber, dip aluminum mag well, single shot adapter, J&P firing pin spring, pillar bedded and glass bedding with first 3" of barrel channel (they shoot best this way), and stock refinished to a color that fits my tastes.

Where did you get the SS adapter?

Has anyone tried bedding a piece of flat aluminum or steel in the forend to improve the rigidity? I think this would be the thing to do along with a pillar bedding job for shooting off a bipod.

Has anyone tried bedding a piece of flat aluminum or steel in the forend to improve the rigidity?

Thought about it, but the mechanics of it didn't look right. Easier to bed the barrel to the forestock, thereby making a composite structure that doesn't flex at all under recoil loads. Testing of a CZ 455 American and a Varmint stock with and without barrel bedding made up my mind when I saw the target results.

Thought about it, but the mechanics of it didn't look right. Easier to bed the barrel to the forestock, thereby making a composite structure that doesn't flex at all under recoil loads. Testing of a CZ 455 American and a Varmint stock with and without barrel bedding made up my mind when I saw the target results.

Justin - Thanks for your reply. So you don't see any shift in POI if you shoot off of a loaded bipod vs. a front rest? I've seen a picture of your barrel bedding. What did you use to do it. All of the Devcon I've seen is grey/black.

Honest answer: I have no skill shooting from a spring loaded bipod.
dunce.gif

Group sizes are triple those shot using an F-class fixed frame bipod.
F-class bipod and solid rest are almost identical for accuracy.
Before barrel bedding, even off a rest, stock flex increased trajectory spread.
After barrel bedding, as long as ammo quality is consistent, so is accuracy.

Bedding compound is 5 minute epoxy mixed 1 to 1
with wood flour. That's why it looks like cookie dough.

mixed-shim.JPG

Last edited:
I am curious if you have a total weight for this build?

Sorry I just now noticed your post. I think I weighed it and it came in around 10lbs or so. Altought I'd have to weigh again to get a certain number. But the gun balances very well! A Joy to shoot!

Ben

What is the market price today for a CZ455 PT / manners in 22mag?
I'm on the fence on selling it....

Why do none of the links work in this thread?