• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dan Wesson?

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    So, I’ve been wanting a 1911 for a while- really just a not too many frills shooter to take to the range. The Dan Wesson Heritage model fits my aesthetic and my budget. But... a local shop has a “mixmaster” Colt 1911 built in 1913, but arsenal refurbished for wwii. The grips are not original, and the finish on the slide does not match the frame- barrel is supposed to be excellent, and the finish is said to be >90%. It’s a couple of 100 more than the Heritage, but just a couple. So new production or nostalgia?

If you just want to coon it every few weeks and then oil it and put it back in the safe, the get the DW. It's a nicer showpiece.

If, on the other hand, you want to shoot it a bunch and become accurate with a 1911, then I would choose the DW. It's better put together than that LGS' Pony could have ever been. That's far from true for all 1911s, but DW is progress.

Look, there ARE nostalgic reasons to own firearms, and even specific subsets and model years. This 1911 rehash is not that. Either wait, look, search, and work until by hook or by crook you have an heirloom quality 1911A1...or buy the Dan Wesson; between those two, there's no wrong answer.

Heirlooms are either so because you buy something that's old and beloved, which you know because someone has used it enough to enjoy it, but not so much as to be threadbare, or they're heirlooms because they will become so for future generations having been passed down from you. Tough choice, but you'll figure out what's best.

I wanted something to pass down ,so had an Ed Brown custom 1911 made with custom serial #. I think they are only ones that can do that since make all their own parts. Since I didn’t have one passed down to me, now I have something really unique

Dan Wesson can do some cool stuff through their custom shop. Used to be $200 over msrp for the base model.

DW, unless you really love old Colts. I have 2 DWs and a 1918 Colt 1911, the Colt gets taken out once a year to honor the original owner but the DWs are shot all the time.

I wanted something to pass down ,so had an Ed Brown custom 1911 made with custom serial #. I think they are only ones that can do that since make all their own parts. Since I didn’t have one passed down to me, now I have something really unique

Any manufacturer can put whatever serial number they find appropriate and is unique to them.

I have three DWs. You won't be unhappy with the Heritage. In fact, it could lead to an infection which could lead to more 1911s. ;)

I have a four digit Colt 1911 given to me by my Big Brother before he passed, RIP Dave T.
    He bought it through DCM many years ago and I still have all of the original papers.
    I would have to dig the papers out but he paid either $14.13 or $13.14 for it. It has pristine walnut checkered grips and was fresh out of a re-build so most of it is Parkerized but there are a few small parts that are blued and it came with an original "Tanker" under the arm holster.
    My favorite handgun is a Sig M11 and I very seldom shoot the 1911, only on Dave's birthday every year. It shoots great but I just hold it near and dear to my heart and it will go to my oldest son when I take the Checkered Flags.
    As to something fun to shoot I will always take one or two of my many High Standard 22s. FM

The arsenal refinish is a nice nostalgia thing to own, but it has a couple of weak areas. The slide, the slide stop notch isn't properly heat treated and if you shoot it a lot, it will peen out into a round shape and won't lock the slide back. Jeff Cooper at Gunsite reported this years ago.
    The frame can crack at the slide stop cut opening.
    The barrel legs the slide stop goes through may crack under hard use. Have seen a couple barrels with a cracked hood.
    Every original pre 1924 1911 hammer I've had my hands on, had the half cock notch broken off. The sear and disconnecter are soft.
    So..........

I've got a 1918 and a arsenal refinish both, and I shoot them about 15 rounds every couple of weeks. No problem except the 18 sight came off, and they are very difficult to find and replace without destroying what's left of the finish. That's painful to see, a heat tattoo in the 100 year old finish....

Buy the Heritage and shoot the hell out of it. Or any of the higher end 1911 clones out there. You won't ever regret that choice.

Any manufacturer can put whatever serial number they find appropriate and is unique to them.

I have three DWs. You won't be unhappy with the Heritage. In fact, it could lead to an infection which could lead to more 1911s. ;)
    I have only seen Henry rifles at certain times offer it and ed brown always ( if you order custom)where you get the serial # of your choice. your name and a number .

I have talked to several other makers of 1911 and some custom rifle makers - maybe there are more but the nighthawk,wilsons and such don't offer

Last edited:
    Any manufacturer can put whatever serial number they find appropriate and is unique to them. Caspian is one of many frame manufacturer that offers custom numbers. The federal government does not mandate any specific serial number series.

You’ve all convinced me on the Dan Wesson, but my “what she don’t know don’t hurt me fund” is a couple hundred lighter than I thought it was, so I’ll need to save my lunch money for a few more weeks. For a nostalgia piece, I’ll see if my number comes up on the CMP 1911 lottery, whenever that happens. Thanks guys. No matter what they say, when you really need an answer you go to the pit...

Old 1911s are ok (not great) but their prices are not.

Anything USGI is going to be less durable than a modern quality made 1911. There is no reason to pay a premium for that, especially since there are millions of them out there.

If you pay a premium for a USGI 1911, it should be outstanding in some respect, not a rearsenaled Mixmaster.

I have one old 1911, it's a pre war commercial Colt. Those were made better than the military production. Better steel, high polish blued finish, nicer machining. A gun like that in perfect condition is worth $$$. Mine is a custom which devalued it in a sense. I like it because of who customized it so I think I got a good deal and I'm not affraid to shoot it.

It sounds like mine was a bit more expensive than the old 1911 you looked at but it is made from much better stuff and customized by a legend. If it was any less, I would have passed.

Don't get suckered and if you want to buy a collectable 1911, look for something with intrinsic value so you don't lose your shirt.