• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors daniel defense MK18 and saker compatibility

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
a little bit of background info rambling first, please bear with me.

i currently have a RRA DI. when i shoot suppressed with my YHM 30cal, i choke on the gasses and the blow back is horrible. i am pretty sure this is because i don't have the gas port tuned. plus as we all know, it is very front heavy and obnoxiously long.

yesterday i went to pick up my newly approved octane9. the not-so-local gun store had a LWRC 8" ($2500) and a LMT 12" ($2200) factory SBR on the wall. they were both piston driven.

i see rangwalker has the DD MK18 for $1500.

is this tuned to run suppressed from DD? will i still be choking on gasses and have the horrible blow back with a saker 556, or even a YHM 556 (these are pretty readily available in my area)?

i have been doing some reading over the last few weeks on DI vs piston. it seems 50/50. a lot of people say if you want to go SBR, then go with a piston. others say it is not necessary. if that is the case, why didn't DD do a piston for the MK18?

does having a piston solve the blow back and choking on gasses? will a properly tuned, hopefully MK18, be just as good?

I have a RRA AR15 and recently got my form 4 approved by the ATF. The first outing I, like you, about choked on the gases. It was really bugging my eyes making them water up and just very frustrating. Afterwards I went online and got a PRI adjustable gas block and PRI gasbuster charging handle. Since then no issues whatsoever. No gas in the face and fully functional running suppressed (though I do have to open the gas block back up when shooting unsuppressed).

So not a direct comparison, but my advice would be to get those two (or similar) items and give it another shot. Much cheaper than buying a whole new rifle!

the new rifle isn't to try and fix a problem. i have always wanted a SBR an want to do it the right way.

I am doing an SBR right now and run an SDN6 suppressor on a 16" piston gun right now (previously it was DI). I have gone back and forth with the 'right' way of doing things. Honestly after having a DI 5.56, piston 5.56 (same barrel and upper) and 16" 300BLK uppers all running the same can. I believe the answer is a DI SBR utilizing a gas buster charging handle and either a Govnah or Noveske switchable gas block to ensure cycling with and without can.

Both the DI and Piston systems get dirty, mostly the crap coming BACK down the barrel which dirties the action. The piston systems keep the carrier cleaner but the other bonus is Piston rigs come with multi position gas regulators. So my intention is to use a switchable gas block DI system on all my AR-15 uppers. Also I tried set screw type gas blocks on AR-10's and the red loctite would not hold beyond 20 rounds and the screws would walk out.

I run a suppressor on both a DI (noveske with switch block) and a piston (Ruger sr556) set up. The key is not the piston as both have just a small bit of gas blow back. The key is the adjustable gas block that both these rifles have. If I forget to switch the gas block I know it the first shot with a mouth full. 90% of the time I run them suppressed so normally I forget to open the gas block and the gun doesn't cycle and I still know the first shot. If I run one of my other AR's suppressed I get a face full also. The gas block is what makes the difference.

PS. with the gas blocks set to suppressed blow back is cut by 90-95%

I just got my DD MK18 and shoot suppressed. I haven't noticed any large amoount of blowback but im just getting started in the suppressor game. Im shooting a YHM Titanium 556. Does the adjustable gas block com standard on the MK18. I havent shot it but once and havent even had a chance to look over it that well. Hell i didnt even know it was piston driven. It shot great and held a nice group @ 100yrds. My other rifles are all DI adn this is the first time i have suppressed them. I hate to bomb your thread but like the feed back on here. I have noticed that all the ammo in my mags are covered with blowback but thought that was normal. Is this not?

I just got my DD MK18 and shoot suppressed. I have noticed that all the ammo in my mags are covered with blowback but thought that was normal. Is this not?

Filthy ammo in a suppressed AR is unfortunately normal. I run a muffler on my 7.5" AA piston upper and find the gas in my face to be horrible. So, the piston is not magic. I have a MK18 in NFA jail right now and won't get it out for another 3 months.