• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DARPA XM-3 A1-3 or A6

Hondo616

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2018
Just picked up an XM-3 EFR from LRI and decided to start the next financial mistake, but in doing some research I came across something I figured I would ask about.
In Steve Reichert's write-up on the XM-3 it mentions in multiple places that the McMillan A6, The IBA Final Report, and the NSW Crane Safety Report being two of them, he also mentions purchasing one through the CMP with an A6 Stock on it (Rifle also came with a log book showing it had been used in Ramadi). I know that there are some inconsistencies due to this never really being an officially adopted rifle but would this information make an A6 acceptable on a clone of an XM-3 or is it really just the A1-3 since that is what all of the pictures I see are.

Hopefully, this hasn't been answered 100 times before just trying to get details right before ordering things.

Good question...You're much more likely to get an answer in the Vintage Sniper Rifles forum-perhaps @MarinePMI or @Rob01 can move it for you if either agrees.

ETA - Moved, thanks!

Last edited:
I think its just a time/term difference. The A6 of today came about 15 years or so after the XM3 was a done deal. The A1-3 in development in the early 2000s may have just been referred to briefly as the A6.

Reactions: kft101
I think its just a time/term difference. The A6 of today came about 15 years or so after the XM3 was a done deal. The A1-3 in development in the early 2000s may have just been referred to briefly as the A6.
☝️This.

The McMillan A6 stock did not exist when the XM3 was prototyped or fielded. The only stock you would want to get to clone an XM3 is the A1-3 stock, and then in full spec (molded-in OD green, Wichita sling swivels, etc).