• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air Sandman vs TBAC Dominus vs Surefire SOCOM

HOLY CRAP!! The guy on the NFA review channel needs to work on his video volume control!! He's whispering at the beginning of the video and I had it turned up pretty darn good to hear him - I have a good set of computer speakers. The he goes to the range for "the fun part". Volume jumps by 500% and it's almost like you're standing right there on the range with him and he's doing a full auto mag dump!
Yeah, that was one of Adam's early videos... 🤣 His videos got MUCH better over the years, and now they're very professional level, he gives a lot of really good info, and has reviewed A LOT of suppressors. 👍🏼

TBAC has the SOCOM test video for the dominus. Plenty good for running and gunning.

I've got the dominus CB but I'm kinda thinking about getting a Sandman S as a do all can that can live on the AR but cover a second bolt gun if I have friends come along.

Reactions: FuhQ
TBAC has the SOCOM test video for the dominus. Plenty good for running and gunning.

I've got the dominus CB but I'm kinda thinking about getting a Sandman S as a do all can that can live on the AR but cover a second bolt gun if I have friends come along.
Do you know which video off the top of your head?

Thanks!

I'm watching a bunch of videos and comparing DB readings from my ultra 5 and 9. Sounds like the 5.56 will be around the same decibel rating as my 5" ultra on my 300 win mag (which is not quiet).

Currently thinking about selling my 5" can :cautious:

I have a 24" 300 win and a 26" 6.5 that I can put my ultra 5 and 9 on. What combo do you think most closely will resemble 5.56 and 300 blk supers?
Thanks!

Using these two videos to compare my Ultra 9 to the Sandman. It's showing the Ultra 9 to be louder than the sandman at the shooters ear (146.06db vs 140.20) - somethings not right.

1647212514095.png

1647212530633.png

I'd imagine my ultra 9 to be very pleasant to shoot on 5.56, but what do I know?

If that pressure stays in the can/barrel for long it'll come out the ejection port of your AR when the bolt cycles back. On a bolt gun thus isn't a problem.
That makes sense. Wish there was a place to go and just try these damn things.

So this chart is comparing the tactical cans to the Ultra 9 in 308. First question - how does this translate to a 5.56? It says that it's for a 20" bolt gun, so throw it in the trash when it comes to semi auto 5.56? It seems to show the socom beating the sandman in almost every category.

1647213905335.png

Using these two videos to compare my Ultra 9 to the Sandman. It's showing the Ultra 9 to be louder than the sandman at the shooters ear (146.06db vs 140.20) - somethings not right.

View attachment 7827103

View attachment 7827104

Not sure why he averaged in the numbers that weren’t suppressed to show the avg for both suppressed and unsuppressed

It says Avg for the TBAC is 129.6 vs 140.2 sandman S at the ear. Significantly quieter as expected

Not sure why he averaged in the numbers that weren’t suppressed to show the avg for both suppressed and unsuppressed

It says Avg for the TBAC is 129.6 vs 140.2 sandman S at the ear. Significantly quieter as expected
I was under the impression that the listing of shot 1 thru 5 isn't at the ear and thus a different volume. *pulls more hair out*

I'm watching a bunch of videos and comparing DB readings from my ultra 5 and 9. Sounds like the 5.56 will be around the same decibel rating as my 5" ultra on my 300 win mag (which is not quiet).

Currently thinking about selling my 5" can :cautious:

I have a 24" 300 win and a 26" 6.5 that I can put my ultra 5 and 9 on. What combo do you think most closely will resemble 5.56 and 300 blk supers?
Thanks!
Over the years, I've tried to warn folks that a K-can is a waste of a tax stamp and money... But most folks want what's trendy and "tacticool"... Shorter is not better in the world of suppressors. No matter how fat a suppressor is, length is more important. If you have suppressor shaped like one of those huge 12oz tuna cans, you basally have a muzzle brake, and that's it. Length + Baffle Count = suppression because while the gas is expanding, it's still being forced forward.

And honestly, 2" more length (7" can) on the end of an already long and unwieldy firearm is not a deal-breaker, but folks act like it is. Unless you're clearing rooms and kicking doors for a living with an MP5 or something like that, then a K-can is pointless on a rifle, unless it's like a 7.5-8.5" .300 BLK.

Over the years, I've tried to warn folks that a K-can is a waste of a tax stamp and money... But most folks want what's trendy and "tacticool"... Shorter is not better in the world of suppressors. No matter how fat a suppressor is, length is more important. If you have suppressor shaped like one of those huge 12oz tuna cans, you basally have a muzzle brake, and that's it. Length + Baffle Count = suppression because while the gas is expanding, it's still being forced forward.

And honestly, 2" more length (7" can) on the end of an already long and unwieldy firearm is not a deal-breaker, but folks act like it is. Unless you're clearing rooms and kicking doors for a living with an MP5 or something like that, then a K-can is pointless on a rifle, unless it's like a 7.5-8.5" .300 BLK.
I wanted it for hunting and to reduce recoil on my lightweight 300 win. The brake is deafening. My wife and I share the gun while hunting. Animals run out of nowhere and I don't want to miss a shot cause I don't want to go deaf. Hard to put in ear pro quickly. That was the plan. Also don't want an enormous barrel walking through the timber.

Ended up that I got it just prior to the season starting. I tried it and it increase my pet load from sub half minute to 1.1 minutes. I didn't have time to do list development again. Recoil was increased pretty good and I thought it wouldn't be ideal for my wife. So I said we'd use electronic hearing protection with the brake. Since then, we've gotten pretty used to it and I've never revisited load development etc - building a house equals no time.

So how would my 5"ultra be on a 8" 300 blk? 😏

So you're saying the Silencer shop DB readings are correct??
Possibly... Not at the muzzle, but at the shooter's ear, yes, they very well could be close to accurate.

I have found that my Nomad-LT, is NOTICEABLY more quiet at the muzzle compared to my Sandman-S cans, while watching from the side as a bystander while letting someone else shoots them side-by-side on my AR's... BUT, the 2 cans sound almost the same DB level at my right ear, because of the port pop.

So, yeah, their numbers might be close to accurate... Like was mentioned, back pressure = port pop, and less back pressure means lower PP decibels. The precision rifle cans like the TBAC and Nomad-LT will have more back pressure than the Sandman series cans, because they were designed that way to be more quiet on bolt-actions and single-shots, whereas the Sandman was designed to have lower BP because it was designed for the AR and semi-autos.

Reactions: treillw
I wanted it for hunting and to reduce recoil on my lightweight 300 win. The brake is deafening. My wife and I share the gun while hunting. Animals run out of nowhere and I don't want to miss a shot cause I don't want to go deaf. Hard to put in ear pro quickly. That was the plan. Also don't want an enormous barrel walking through the timber.

Ended up that I got it just prior to the season starting. I tried it and it increase my pet load from sub half minute to 1.1 minutes. I didn't have time to do list development again. Recoil was increased pretty good and I thought it wouldn't be ideal for my wife. So I said we'd use electronic hearing protection with the brake. Since then, we've gotten pretty used to it and I've never revisited load development etc - building a house equals no time.

So how would my 5"ultra be on a 8" 300 blk? 😏
With subs... Probably be ok, but maybe a bit high on back pressure. Only one way to find out... 👍🏼

I'd check with TBAC on the barrel length rating for subsonics on .300 BLK.

8" min super blk

11" min 5.56

According to tbac website.
Then you're 8" .300 BLK would be alright with subs. Might be a bit gassy (in your face), but if you have an adjustable gas block, and maybe even a Bootleg adjustable BCG, you can probably tame that thing down to minimal gas to cycle the action, and minimal blowback (gas) in your face. So it might end up being a pretty nice shorty setup and truck-gun, once you get it all tuned up right. 👍🏼

Then you're 8" .300 BLK would be alright with subs. Might be a bit gassy (in your face), but if you have an adjustable gas block, and maybe even a Bootleg adjustable BCG, you can probably tame that thing down to minimal gas to cycle the action, and minimal blowback (gas) in your face. So it might end up being a pretty nice shorty setup and truck-gun, once you get it all tuned up right. 👍🏼
FuhQ. Change of subject. I’m 70 and run a dozer for 50yrs. 25 with a straight pipe. I got my ears tested 2 yrs ago and failed. 25% word recognition loss. Please start now and do something for yourself. I have to watch tv with cc now. And that’s with hearing aids. that is all.

For anyone reading this in the future, I went to a shop nice enough to let me test out the cans I was looking at, Montana Tactical. Shot all three cans with no hearing protection.

The surefire was by far the loudest and made my rear ring just a tinge.

Just shooting a couple of shots, I couldn't really notice a difference between the sandman s and nomad 30 from the shooters perspective. Neither of them were terribly pleasant with no ear pro, but no ringing and not bad for 10 or 15 shots.

When someone else was shooting I could tell the biggest difference. The sandman sounded like a quieter gunshot and retained the same overall shot "tone". The nomad sounded more like a stereotypical suppressed gunshot - more whooshing air with a crack. Sandman seemed more bassey and nomad was more trebley if that makes sense.

Decided to go with the nomad. Hope the e filing works and it's out of jail in a month or two!

Reactions: FuhQ and Clayman
Where did the suppressor forum go?

Anywho, starting my research into an AR can. I'd like to use it for a 5.56 and 300 BLK. I've heard good things about all three cans, but haven't done much of a nitpicky comparison at this point. Noveske suggests the Dead Air, John Lovell the SOCOM, and I'm interested in the Dominus.

I currently have a TBAC Ultra 5 & 9, FWIW.

I really would like the Dominus-CB to replace my 5" Ultra and use it on bolt guns and for hunting in addition to AR stuff. I don't know how the CB attachment will work though will a lot of semi auto fire and running around. Any feedback on this? Anyway to convert from CB to full lock up system?

Any one of these cans stand out from the rest, or is it Ford vs Chevy?

Most important criteria to me are reduced/no muzzle flash, noise reduction, and weight.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
The new Rugged Razor optimized for 5.56 for 5.56 but you want to also shoot 300 Black so check out the original Rugged Surge. You can shoot it in the K config for subsonic Blackout... Blackout is about the easiest ammo to suppress, second to .22 LR or maybe 9mm sub.
I'd really recommend caliber specific cans as it sounds like you have the money and you truly get the best results from units optimized for specific calibers... I haven't yet met a do-it-all can that outperforms an ammunition specific can unless you are shooting one of the big do-it-all units in their largest hole config. I've got about 53 demo cans in inventory and some more personal ones so we do a lot of fun comparisons at the range with identical rifles and pistols with different cans. 07/02

Surefire definitely its a tank has great mounting options can be removed when fowled however socom vs mini depends and these are all about flash

For anyone reading this in the future, I went to a shop nice enough to let me test out the cans I was looking at, Montana Tactical. Shot all three cans with no hearing protection.

The surefire was by far the loudest and made my rear ring just a tinge.

Just shooting a couple of shots, I couldn't really notice a difference between the sandman s and nomad 30 from the shooters perspective. Neither of them were terribly pleasant with no ear pro, but no ringing and not bad for 10 or 15 shots.

When someone else was shooting I could tell the biggest difference. The sandman sounded like a quieter gunshot and retained the same overall shot "tone". The nomad sounded more like a stereotypical suppressed gunshot - more whooshing air with a crack. Sandman seemed more bassey and nomad was more trebley if that makes sense.

Decided to go with the nomad. Hope the e filing works and it's out of jail in a month or two!

Out of curiosity, what caliber did you shoot and was it a bolt or gas gun?

My nomad 30 was $949. Anyone know if this comes with the Keymo mount at this price, or what all it comes with?

I didn't tear the box apart prior to purchasing.

I believe it doesn't include the Keymo, but I could have sworn somebody said that it does in my researching.

My nomad 30 was $949. Anyone know if this comes with the Keymo mount at this price, or what all it comes with?

I didn't tear the box apart prior to purchasing.

I believe it doesn't include the Keymo, but I could have sworn somebody said that it does in my researching.
To my knowledge, none of the Nomads come with a KeyMo…Only a direct thread mount. Unless it was some sort of special deal I wasn’t aware of. You have to buy the KeyMo separately. And if you paid $949 for a regular Nomad-30, and no stamp or KeyMo unit, before taxes, I think you might have got ripped off. They’re only $799 on Silencer Shop’s website all day, everyday.

To my knowledge, none of the Nomads come with a KeyMo…Only a direct thread mount. Unless it was some sort of special deal I wasn’t aware of. You have to buy the KeyMo separately. And if you paid $949 for a regular Nomad-30, and no stamp or KeyMo unit, before taxes, I think you might have got ripped off. They’re only $799 on Silencer Shop’s website all day, everyday.
Yeah, I know I paid more than I should have. They were nice enough to let me test the cans out though. Guess that is worth something, but still bothers me a bit.

Yeah, I know I paid more than I should have. They were nice enough to let me test the cans out though. Guess that is worth something, but still bothers me a bit.
I don’t think $150 is worth that…But to each, his own… That’s almost the cost of a tax stamp.

I don’t think $150 is worth that…But to each, his own… That’s almost the cost of a tax stamp.
Agreed.

Where is a good place to get the Keymo system? What's a good price?

I won't need the Keymo for a bit... any sales on them typically?