• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air Suppressor Quality

My understanding is that the probability of a thread belling out on a properly stress relieved cut rifled barrel is minimal.

But I will also admit that I don't have the knowledge or expertise to quantify what 'minimal' is in this context.
You’d think that Bartlein would have it dialed in. But, if FG is giving caution, it’s worth taking heed…

They “have to stop production of pre-sold runs”… Yeah, that’s how high-quality boutique suppressor manufacturing works… 🤦🏼 I guess you’re not very familiar with manufacturing and production… First they made a run of X product, then they make a run of Y product, and then they make a run of Z product, etc… etc… in order to equally satisfy their sales.

They chose to introduce HUB based on market demand to expand their sales to an ever-evolving suppressor market, I’m pretty sure if it was nothing more than a foreseeable moneypit, they would have opted to continue as they were. Obviously they saw feasibility in the numbers, and market interest projections to bring it to fruition.

Do you think the manufacturers of those other ecco systems will send TBAC a Christmas card for giving them a percentage of TBAC's business?

Do you think the manufacturers of those other ecco systems will send TBAC a Christmas card for giving them a percentage of TBAC's business?
That’s where you’re fucking this up…It’s got nothing to do with other companies. It’s a lot about what the customer wants, or they’ll go elsewhere to get it. TBAC choose to evolve with the industry, thus opening themselves up to an all new share of the market with potential new clientele, who may have wanted a high-quality TBAC product, but would have otherwise skipped past them due to them only offering proprietary mounting systems.

I’m Still confused as to why you hate HUB so much… It’s been perfected now, and as long as a can is built with quality and precision, and the end-user uses a quality precise mounting system, then HUB should be the very least of their concerns…Especially after checked with an alignment rod. You don’t check your SR or CB mounts and cans with a rod? I know TBAC is one of the best in the industry for QA/QC, but people are fallible, and mistakes do get made. It’s very possible a lemon could sneak through. Anything man made has the potential for failure or issues.

In my area there is a long following of Thunderbeast customers from the early days. None of those dudes give two fucks about HUB mounting. Theyve been shooting and using TBAC suppressors for years before HUB became widely known.

I do see interest in HUB mounting from the Reddit people. New gun and suppressor owners. Guys that start off with AR15's. There they seem to lock onto the idea that muzzle adapters and suppressor adapters are required to use a suppressor. They get sold on their muzzle device of choice and then from them on want HUB capable suppressors, I guess.

I acknowledge there is a market for HUB. I also like spinning you up just because you're such a know it all. I also think you have a blind spot to other shooting demographics out there and you only know what you know. Which is Reddit newbs, HUB, OCL, and that whole crowd.
Hey, nobody cares what you and all the other retirees down in Boca Raton are shooting in between your games of bocce ball. Get with the times old man!
🫣

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Hey, nobody cares what you and all the other retirees down in Boca Raton are shooting in between your games of bocce ball. Get with the times old man!
🫣

515f5374-197a-4298-a8b0-aeb95dfc2bc5_text.gif

tumblr_39ffae91123ab851e11fb3e36d1aa02c_26f55197_400.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jb0311
🫣

He's over there gettin' on your HOA, fining you, and leining your title

• Haha
Reactions: jb0311
In my area there is a long following of Thunderbeast customers from the early days. None of those dudes give two fucks about HUB mounting. Theyve been shooting and using TBAC suppressors for years before HUB became widely known.

I do see interest in HUB mounting from the Reddit people. New gun and suppressor owners. Guys that start off with AR15's. There they seem to lock onto the idea that muzzle adapters and suppressor adapters are required to use a suppressor. They get sold on their muzzle device of choice and then from them on want HUB capable suppressors, I guess.

I acknowledge there is a market for HUB. I also like spinning you up just because you're such a know it all. I also think you have a blind spot to other shooting demographics out there and you only know what you know. Which is Reddit newbs, HUB, OCL, and that whole crowd.
Actually I've never even been on Reddit, so I'm glad you can assume. I'm also not an AR guy (despite owning my share and building my share), or a newbie to anything firearms related. I started out with lever guns and bolt guns when I was a kid, and have been shooting since I could hold up a rifle. The fact you assume I'm a newbie, or that you THINK you know everything that I know, shows you that I'm not the know-it-all making blind assumptions about people on here. Assuming you know someone you don't actually know, is quite a pompous thing. And it's funny how yall think I get "spun up"... I'm rarely ever mad. I'm usually laughing at the stupidity and Fuddery that comes out of some of the member's mouths on here. "If it's new, or not a big name brand, then it must be a piece of shit..." right? That's the mentality of so many in the gun industry, and it shows here on the forum.

As to why I talk about the things I talk about so much... It's because they're typically relevant, and I know about them. That's all there is to that. No shilling, just pointing people to a relevant product to what they're asking about. Just because I recommend someone look at an OCL can, instead of a TBAC, doesn't mean I don't like TBAC... As a matter of fact, I own 2 TBAC cans (currently up to 11 cans). Let the hate flow through you. The 2 TBAC cans have not been shot yet, so I can't comment on them, but all the rest of them that I have, have put hundreds, if not thousands of rounds through them. I don't go to the range, and put a box of 20 through it and call it a day... When I go to the range, I go do work. Typically 50-100 rounds out of EACH centerfire rifle I take (usually 3-5) + a couple hundred .22LR's in a session. I don't go to fuck around. I go to sight in, test groups, load development, try out a new scope, etc... Am I professional? Hell no. I don't want to be. But I'm trying to get to know my investments as much as possible, so if someone asks me about them, I can give an informed and personal opinion on the item. What's wrong with that?

As for the guys who have been shooting TBAC's forever, HUB might not make sense at all. And that's perfectly ok. But industry does evolve. And HUB has become the newest evolution of mounting. I didn't make that call, the market/industry did. And hating on someone for their mounting preference is kind of stupid. We're supposed to be united against the clowns, not divided amongst ourselves. Were all here for a common reason, right? So why go around hating on folks you don't even know constantly just because you're bored? Seems quite childish.

We'll find out once our SHOT order arrives how popular the Ultra HUBs are. As a point of reference, the Magnus HUB was a poor seller for us.

HUB proponents are a vocal minority that think a 750 word temper tantrum is being right.

Over in realsville, better isn't better, just more expensive, heavier, and more complicated.

I want to believe part of the reason is how expensive the Magnus is and you still have to buy the adapter + muzzle device.

And then add in the fact that the CB system is highly regarded amongst precision shooters, and the SR is the best all-around mount for those who have both precision and hard-use applications. TBAC hasn't given shooters a lot of good reasons to pick a 3rd-party option.

Well, I've had the S5 for a couple of weeks. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. On the good side it hasn't prolapsed it's guts out yet, but GD it's the loudest suppressor I've ever heard on an AR before. I would almost say it's the first suppressor I've ever regretted buying. It's tiny, not very light, and requires ear pro. And let me qualify that last part. I don't wear ear pro when shooting suppressors. I know there's this whole crowd that's all about hearing preservation and safety first. After a career of flashbangs, explosive breaching, 7.62 sniper rifles, lead exposure , tritium dust inhalation, burn pits, shooters choice lunch sammies, and instructing marksmanship on a daily basis my hearing is very diminished. But this can hurts my ears. It's the loudest can I've ever heard. And I'm using it on a 13.7 and 14.5 inch AR. I was using a .45 cal Rex Silentium MG7 with a .224 end cap before I got the S5 and it was quieter. The first day I had it I was thinking about selling it in-state but it's on a trust. Haaaaa.......
That interesting to hear (HA!). I was pondering one for an 8.3" AR but I think you talked me out of it. I did throw a Hybrid 46 (9mm cap for the .338 so not optimised) on it way back thinking "This is gonna be cool!", pulled the trigger in the back yard and had two simultaneous thoughts...
1) Holy fuck!!! That is crazy loud!
2) The police will be here soon because the neigbors are thinking "Holy fuck! That was crazy loud!"

Not sure what the ideal can is (or if there is one. I do foamies under ear muffs shooting it naked. That little joker hurts!) but the Hybrid 46 and, apperantly, the Sierra 5 aren't them!

I already own a TBAC Dominus CB. I didn't know I already had what was probably the best AR can for my needs. The added diameter is free suppression. The S5 is 5", the Dominus is 6.25". The Dominus is wayyyyy quieter. The Dominus is wayyyyy lighter. The ironic thing for me to say in this thread is, I am putting this can on P&W 13.7's and 14.5's so I have to have a male USB adapter to a female , converted to USB-C, to micro USB muzzle adapter to suppressor adapter to Dominus.

....so a Dominus HUB would work well for this application.
View attachment 8122555
I would love to run a Dominus but I don't think it is up to the task? Minimum barrel length restriction for 5.56 is 10.5". My TRIARC misses that by a good bit :( Might be time for a 10.5" TRACK barrel.

Well, I've had the S5 for a couple of weeks. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. On the good side it hasn't prolapsed it's guts out yet, but GD it's the loudest suppressor I've ever heard on an AR before. I would almost say it's the first suppressor I've ever regretted buying. It's tiny, not very light, and requires ear pro. And let me qualify that last part. I don't wear ear pro when shooting suppressors. I know there's this whole crowd that's all about hearing preservation and safety first. After a career of flashbangs, explosive breaching, 7.62 sniper rifles, lead exposure , tritium dust inhalation, burn pits, shooters choice lunch sammies, and instructing marksmanship on a daily basis my hearing is very diminished. But this can hurts my ears. It's the loudest can I've ever heard. And I'm using it on a 13.7 and 14.5 inch AR. I was using a .45 cal Rex Silentium MG7 with a .224 end cap before I got the S5 and it was quieter. The first day I had it I was thinking about selling it in-state but it's on a trust. Haaaaa.......

Welp. I’m about a month out on a Sandman K, which I’m assuming is equally as shitty or worse. I bought it because I couldn’t find a S5 anywhere and got impatient. Can still use it as a rolling pin I guess.

I feel like I missed out. The discontinued TBAC 5.56 takedown seems like it would have been ideal 🤷‍♂️

Lol, no you didn’t. The 556TD feels like it’s made of fucking plutonium on the end of even the shortest guns. It’s WAY too heavy to be practical.

That interesting to hear (HA!). I was pondering one for an 8.3" AR but I think you talked me out of it. I did throw a Hybrid 46 (9mm cap for the .338 so not optimised) on it way back thinking "This is gonna be cool!", pulled the trigger in the back yard and had two simultaneous thoughts...
2) The police will be here soon because the neigbors are thinking "Holy fuck! That was crazy loud!"

Not sure what the ideal can is (or if there is one. I do foamies under ear muffs shooting it naked. That little joker hurts!) but the Hybrid 46 and, apperantly, the Sierra 5 aren't them!

Welp. I’m about a month out on a Sandman K, which I’m assuming is equally as shitty or worse. I bought it because I couldn’t find a S5 anywhere and got impatient. Can still use it as a rolling pin I guess.

Lol, no you didn’t. The 556TD feels like it’s made of fucking plutonium on the end of even the shortest guns. It’s WAY too heavy to be practical.
Should have gotten the Sandman-S... K-cans suck unless you're shooting subsonic the entire time.

Was that on the 8.3 barrel?

I run a hybrid 46 with a 30 cal encap on a 16" and it's pretty quiet not the best I have heard but pretty decent for a gasser.

Guess maybe a dominus is in order next

Last edited:
Reactions: nikonNUT
Was that on the 8.3 barrel?

I run a hybrid 46 with a 30 cal encap on a 26" and it's pretty quiet not the best I have heard but pretty decent for a gasser.

Guess maybe a dominus is in order next
Yes, sir! Itty bitty bastard! :LOL:

Does any can sound good on an 8.3" barrel tho haha?
If by good you mean pulling the trigger w/o hearing protection and not having blood leaking out your ears immediately then yes. The Hybrid sounds pretty good! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Has anyone used a NOX muzzle device with a Dead Air can? I can't seem to find anyone who has actually used it and can tell me if it is compatible with Sandman or Nomads. Just bought a rifle with this device. If there is a thread with this info please send it over. Thanks.

Has anyone used a NOX muzzle device with a Dead Air can? I can't seem to find anyone who has actually used it and can tell me if it is compatible with Sandman or Nomads. Just bought a rifle with this device. If there is a thread with this info please send it over. Thanks.
Yes I have several NOX and use them on a SiCo Omega with the keymo mount. Works fine.

Reactions: BigBC
K cans have their place.

But not the most optimal if your primary goal is ultimate suppression.
Well…I’ve said it 1000x, if I’ve said it once… I know WHY people want K-cans, but I don’t understand why you pay money for a suppressor that doesn't suppress sound or flash very well just to save 1-2”. Seems like a waste of a tax stamp with only 1 advantage (length), but lots of disadvantages.

The Sandman-S is already short and loud enough with only 5 baffles in it…What’s the point of the K. 😂

Reactions: southernpew
Well…I’ve said it 1000x, if I’ve said it once… I know WHY people want K-cans, but I don’t understand why you pay money for a suppressor that doesn't suppress sound or flash very well just to save 1-2”. Seems like a waste of a tax stamp with only 1 advantage (length), but lots of disadvantages.

The Sandman-S is already short and loud enough with only 5 baffles in it…What’s the point of the K. 😂

For some people and some objectives, a suppressor is not just about sound suppression.

A K can should knock down a lot of the concussion, while still keeping a short package. There's certainly applications for those objectives, even though you may not share those objectives with your own personal shooting hobby.

I'm a big K can fan. Turbo K, Resonator K, and soon to be a Mini and RC2 when I move over to surefire.

Resonator K is pretty astonishing given it's size. It's extremely quiet on a 308 bolt gun and does just enough on my 11.5".

Mainly for me it's a length issue.

Reactions: kthomas
More Dead Air quality

Imagine all the hard work that went into building Dead Air, and then pissing it all away.

I had to laugh at this part of the post:

Dead Air went comms dark when I asked for my can back after they had no idea when “parts” would come in. Their VP of Sales even tried to get me to sign an NDA before they would send my can, my property back to me.

At this point, it would have been cheaper to recall every Sierra 5, refund 100% the customer's money, and ship the cans back out for free once they were able to catch up on repairs. That might have cost a few million, but it'd be peanuts compared to the goodwill that's been pissed away over the past few months.

Imagine all the hard work that went into building Dead Air, and then pissing it all away.

I had to laugh at this part of the post:

At this point, it would have been cheaper to recall every Sierra 5, refund 100% the customer's money, and ship the cans back out for free once they were able to catch up on repairs. That might have cost a few million, but it'd be peanuts compared to the goodwill that's been pissed away over the past few months.

Imagine being a dealer and knowingly selling a Dead Air product to someone.

I never bought into dead airs marketing. And never liked that their machining was outsourced. But people swore by them for years. Admittedly i just never saw the point. A durable can with low blow back that’s heavy. May i introduce you to surefire? I guess the nomad is good

I like the keymount and keymicro mounting system, but this sierra 5 debacle has caused me to look much harder at other HUB threaded options.

Imagine being a dealer and knowingly selling a Dead Air product to someone.

Just another day in the industry for those dealers. They don't care - warranties are a matter to be handled between the manufacturer and the customer, and if that's a problem, another sucker will soon walk through the door.

I’ve got no issues with my nomad, and the wolverine feels like it was designed as a blunt force weapon. But, I’ll be looking elsewhere when I’m in the market again.

Reactions: FuhQ
Unfortunately you could see this trainwreck coming from a mile away...

An OEM suppressor outsourcing it's manufacturing in an industry where the product is highly regulated is a recipe ripe for disaster when problems emerge.

I once considered a Nomad, but it was a huge turnoff to me that they outsourced their manufacturing. Now they seem so overloaded with problems that their CS department has seemingly given up.

Really curious to see where this all goes for DA. They were once the darlings of the suppressor industry (at least to some folks/market segments), and now their reputation is eroding very rapidly.

I'm at three months (going on four) waiting on my broken Sierra 5 to get repaired. Arrived brand new and damaged, visible to the naked eye. Neither DA/KGM nor the dealer cared. I wrote and heard the same thing as others, waiting on parts and may have to force their hand in returning mine. KGM likely deserves as much blame until we get the skinny on where the blame lies. I'm sure there's more than enough to go around.

Rumors are it's all tied up in litigation between the two companies which likely means none of the cans will ever be fixed.

Meanwhile my new Flow 762 arrived literally as I was typing this. That'll hold me over for a bit.

Reactions: JoeZ
I've got a bunch of old Sandmans, and have had zero issue with them... but like others, I wouldn't buy any new ones... I just got a few Silencercos that I'll be trying soon and I hope they're decent. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you could see this trainwreck coming from a mile away...

An OEM suppressor outsourcing it's manufacturing in an industry where the product is highly regulated is a recipe ripe for disaster when problems emerge.

I once considered a Nomad, but it was a huge turnoff to me that they outsourced their manufacturing. Now they seem so overloaded with problems that their CS department has seemingly given up.

Really curious to see where this all goes for DA. They were once the darlings of the suppressor industry (at least to some folks/market segments), and now their reputation is eroding very rapidly.

I spent the majority of my career so far in automotive where there is more outsourcing that most people can comprehend. It's an extremely difficult and risky process during the best of times and with the best of people.

For the wheels to have fallen off this badly suggests there is some serious rot that starts at the top.

I'm at three months (going on four) waiting on my broken Sierra 5 to get repaired. Arrived brand new and damaged, visible to the naked eye. Neither DA/KGM nor the dealer cared. I wrote and heard the same thing as others, waiting on parts and may have to force their hand in returning mine. KGM likely deserves as much blame until we get the skinny on where the blame lies. I'm sure there's more than enough to go around.

Rumors are it's all tied up in litigation between the two companies which likely means none of the cans will ever be fixed.

Meanwhile my new Flow 762 arrived literally as I was typing this. That'll hold me over for a bit.

I suspect it's all DA's fault. Asking customers that want what they paid for to sign an NDA is pretty telling. Nothing about this makes me think DA is just some hapless victim.

Reactions: southernpew
I spent the majority of my career so far in automotive where there is more outsourcing that most people can comprehend. It's an extremely difficult and risky process during the best of times and with the best of people.

For the wheels to have fallen off this badly suggests there is some serious rot that starts at the top.

I have no doubt that a lot of culpability lies on DA.

Blaming it all, or mostly, on KGM is beyond foolish.

I have no doubt that a lot of culpability lies on DA.

Blaming it all, or mostly, on KGM is beyond foolish.
True... But these folks trying to absolve KGM of any culpability is beyond foolish... Their QC shit the bed and allowed defective product to slip into production. Then they proceeded to build these cans, some with absolutely BLATENTLY obvious cracks in the baffles brand new (if their QC/QA was really doing their job, wouldn't they have caught that? 🤔), and then proceeded to pump as many of them out into the ether as humanly possible.

I'm not saying it's all anyone's fault, but saying that KGM is innocent is retarded. I know first-hand just how shitty they treat their DA customers' cans when I sent my Mask off right before all this shit hit the fan, after DA pulled the KGM contract. And yes, thanks to Todd for getting things rolling along and lighting a fire under their asses to get it fixed, even if it took them 10 weeks of the promised 1-2 week turn-around 🙄) for a lazy spray-job where they didn't even blast off the old finish and the letters and logo look bubbly and almost unreadable, and they didn't even bother to clean (media blast) the baffles like I asked them to in the RA because there was some really hardened lead deposits on them that I was having trouble getting off, even in the sonic cleaner (this was before I discovered the wonders of CLR...I have since gotten them nice and clean).

I'm not saying anyone is an innocent party in this, but I'm saying there's much more to this than any of us know right now as to who/what is to blame for this shitshow. I really hope DA gets things situated with a new production setup that is more local to them, and gets everyone's cans fixed and back to them shiny-new and perfect. But only time will tell... I do also wish they would address this issue publicly, but if they are under litigation, I can understand both companies being forced under a gag-order until things are legally settled to avoid consumer and public bias. Then I hope the truth comes out.

True... But these folks trying to absolve KGM of any culpability is beyond foolish... Their QC shit the bed and allowed defective product to slip into production. Then they proceeded to build these cans, some with absolutely BLATENTLY obvious cracks in the baffles brand new (if their QC/QA was really doing their job, wouldn't they have caught that? 🤔), and then proceeded to pump as many of them out into the ether as humanly possible.

I'm not saying it's all anyone's fault, but saying that KGM is innocent is retarded. I know first-hand just how shitty they treat their DA customers' cans when I sent my Mask off right before all this shit hit the fan, after DA pulled the KGM contract. And yes, thanks to Todd for getting things rolling along and lighting a fire under their asses to get it fixed, even if it took them 10 weeks of the promised 1-2 week turn-around 🙄) for a lazy spray-job where they didn't even blast off the old finish and the letters and logo look bubbly and almost unreadable, and they didn't even bother to clean (media blast) the baffles like I asked them to in the RA because there was some really hardened lead deposits on them that I was having trouble getting off, even in the sonic cleaner (this was before I discovered the wonders of CLR...I have since gotten them nice and clean).

I'm not saying anyone is an innocent party in this, but I'm saying there's much more to this than any of us know right now as to who/what is to blame for this shitshow. I really hope DA gets things situated with a new production setup that is more local to them, and gets everyone's cans fixed and back to them shiny-new and perfect. But only time will tell... I do also wish they would address this issue publicly, but if they are under litigation, I can understand both companies being forced under a gag-order until things are legally settled to avoid consumer and public bias. Then I hope the truth comes out.

Ultimately it's DA's responsibility for the product that goes out the door. There's many steps pre and post manufacturing that they (DA) could've undertaken to prevent such issues, but obviously didn't.

Most of the blame falls on DA, regardless of what KGM did.

How many looking beyond DA are also looking beyond KGM? I mean, DA shipped them to customers, but KGM manufactured them and shipped them to DA (presumably).

Reactions: 30calDeath