• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Deer blind window contraptions

rogue090

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2007
Krum, Texas
I have hunted many different deer blinds over the years, but for the most part once I got old enough and more responsible I built my own.

The design I was most happy with had small shelves extended below the windows for binos, coffee cup, and most importantly a place to set up my bipod for a stable shooting platform. Usually in a pinch, a glove out the window has worked pretty well too.

This past weekend I went to check out a new lease that I am getting on, and do some hog hunting in the process. Now I don't know who built these blinds, but he must have been a giant. I'm 5'10" and sitting in the these blinds in a chair with 14" of foam cushions added to it, I could barely see out the windows and this left my feet dangling off the floor of the blind, felt like sitting on an unstable bar stool. A few times I put my rifle out the window to watch a few deer off in the distance around 800yds and realized that I could not for the life of me gain a stable rest, my crosshairs were bouncing around like a hula dancer.

I plan on putting a few stands of my own on this place, but everyone kinda hunts everywhere based on who's hunting where, and of course I'd like to hunt more than just 1-2 stands. So I'm wondering if any of you hunters out there have some tips/tricks, gizmos, or gadgets you have encountered or come up with over the years you might be willing to share regarding shooting out of deer blind windows and stabilizing your rifle.

Some pics for you hunters out there.
That's not me with the pig, but the owner.
IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Re: Deer blind window contraptions

It looks like a great place to hunt. When hunting out of a box blind, I rest the rifle on the window to shoot. I also set up the chair and position myself to take a quick shot when needed. You have to be comfortable, and in a postition to shoot well from a blind. If the box blind is something that can't work for you, get out on the ground and go prone. This is where I do most of my hunting from now anyway.

Ya Chad that's pretty much the same way I hunt out of boxes, but when in someone's blind other than your own, your kinda at the mercy of whats in there. IE. crappy low ass chair for midgets w/ high ass windows LOL.

Thats why I was lookin for portable solution maybe someone else had run across.

I dont think he was dancin w/ that pig, but you see that drink in his hand, heck he just might have been.... I know after draggin that SOB out of some of the thickest briars I have encountered I was damn happy to get it it strung up.

Best features I have employed/used with box blinds are sliding plexiglass windows, shelf inside the window, swiveling office chair, and completely lined with carpet.

Sideways sliding windows are silent and practically motionless to outside observers/game.

Shelf inside 6-8" below window is a good height for most bipods. Also good for ammo, binos, LRF, etc.

Swiveling office chair is great for changing shooting windows without having to reposition your seat. Make sure it is oiled well so as not to squeak.

Completely lining (including ceiling) the box with carpet allows you to move around, drop stuff, etc. without noise on the outside. Also gives you some insulation in the colder months.

Don't know of portable solutions that offer the same comforts.

Maybe I did not state that right... Not looking for a portable solution for a blind, but something to hang from the window to give a stable shooting platform while hunting in a blind other than your own.

Now that I have actually written that down.... the idea of making a small portable shelf you could hang from a window seems kind of like a good idea, and an easy solution.

Not exactly what I had in mind when I posted this, but ill see what the ole shed has to offer

Summitt climber cures what ails ya if legal for your lease. Just find the lead in trails, back off and wackem..Awesome hog and property.

OK, I see what you're after now. Thought you were looking for shooting box ideas for your own stands on the lease.

Quick and dirty...sock full of poly beads slung over the window sill.

This'll take a few minutes...fab up a shelf that clamps to the window sill and has a benchrest-type front bag attached to it. Build it deep enough so the gun balances in the bag.

Take (2) 4x4 angle aluminum at about 1/4" thick and make a clamp out of it using threadall a nut on one side and a thumb wheel from T-nuts.com or any hardware store to clamp it to the window if there is no shelf. Drill it high near the angle and it can rest on the threadall and be clamped. Now you have about 8" of platform. Carpet the top. Hell, you can even drill the top for a clamp style rest/rack off a 4 wheeler.

Other things I have used are large threaded hooks for hanging bikes or other gear. Screw it to the side of the window and it supports your foreend. 550 cord hung from the roof to support the bipod. Another can be strung for the buttstock, not the most stable.

Go to the hardware store, and by the styrofoam that you cover pipes with when it is cold to keep the exposed pipes from freezing, it is grey with a slit running the length of it. Place it on the rail where the windows are, it hads cushioning. I use duct tapoe to make it permanent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take (2) 4x4 angle aluminum at about 1/4" thick and make a clamp out of it using threadall a nut on one side and a thumb wheel from T-nuts.com or any hardware store to clamp it to the window if there is no shelf. Drill it high near the angle and it can rest on the threadall and be clamped. Now you have about 8" of platform. Carpet the top. Hell, you can even drill the top for a clamp style rest/rack off a 4 wheeler.</div></div>

This is really similar to what I was thinking of doing. Once I get a little time off and can make a trip to the hardware store I plan on working something up. I was thinking wood at first, but your idea of the aluminum will help with weight.

Chattin this out has helped with ideas and I do appreciate the tips, I knew you guys would be the ones to come to for ingenuity and practicality.