• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Developing load for autoloader

GreenMtnRidgeRunner13

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2010
Brookfield, VT
Here is my dilemna/question: I need to develope a load that will work in a Remington 7400 in .30-06. I am not looking to do a bunch of developement to punch pretty holes in paper. Just want to be able to knock over any deer inside 200yds. There is also an old 700 that I might like to use these rounds in for the same purpose. What's the easiest most minimal way to find a load that will run the gun reliably and meet that minimum accuracy criteria? I would like to just use Sierra Gamekings (180gr.) and IMR-4831 since I always have a bunch of both on hand. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Developing load for autoloader

Load 4 identical ladders with the gamekings and 3031. Ten shots each, 1/2gr variation from each to the next. Choose an OAL that will fit in both guns magazines.

Fire 2 ladders from each gun, at the same POA, keeping track of which load made which hole in the paper. Identify those consecutive loads that didnt show vertical spread.

Hopefully, you'll find one that doesn't disperse at the same charges s for both rifles. If so, load 10 of those and print a 5 round group from each rifle.

Should easily find a minute of deer @ 200 yards load that works in both rifles.

Honestly, I'd guess both rifles will shoot minute of deer at 5-10% under book max, if you REALLY want to go simplistic.

50.1 (2400 fps) to 57.7(2800 fps) is Sierra's load range. 55.8 is listed as 2700 fps. I wouldn't shoot a load wih out doing a little work on it. From Sierra's loads 50.1 is 2400, 52 is 2500, 53.9 is 2600, 55.8 is 2700, 57.7 is 2800. I'd at least load 5 rounds at 53.9, 55.8, and maybe 57.5 then shoot them for groups looking at the case and groups. Sierra is a little conservative on their loads but I'd work up to a max load cautiously.

I would recommend using a faster powder than IMR 4831 for the Rem 7400 autoloader. While it will shoot 4831 loads, I think that for the Remington action that it will be over-gassed causing more stress than necessary on the rotary bolt and receiver. I've shot IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 loads in my Rem 742 and it definitely shows some hammering of the receiver rails from the bolt slamming rearward. IMR 4064 or close burn rate powders would be easier on the 7400. IMR 4831 would do fine in a bolt action but the faster powders would work too.

Wow! Great responses in a hurry, that's what I love about the hide. I have some 4064 so I may go that route, and then do a small OCW test. Being in VT it's tough to find a place to do an effective ladder test, so the OCW will be easier for me. Is there a different rule around charge weights to use with the autoloader to ensure you don't under or over charge or just work the full book range like I do with others? I'm not interested in going past max anyways based on my objectives above.

Thanks to all, and hopefully we'll get her within one deer of angle in short order.