• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did Steiner just quietly build the MPO we have all been asking for? H6xi

Burdy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2013
    Well, this checks a LOT of boxes.

Edit, just noticed MOA and no locking top turret. 😭😭😭
    Still fits a good mid-range hunting scope application.

Last edited:
    I like 23 oz. weight but cannot find pic of reticle.

JFR

Well, this checks a LOT of boxes.

Edit, just noticed MOA and no locking top turret. 😭😭😭
    Still fits a good mid-range hunting scope application.
    I guess that settles it. MOA=Military Ruggedness.

I think that it’s a great entry in that genre. Are youse guys the same ones bitching that NF stopped making it’s “great” 2-12x? The optics on this I bet will be superior and the NF also was not only MOA, but second focal plane.

Additionally, the reticle is as busy as I’d want a light fast hunting scope reticle to be.

I do not work for a scope company, but would be willing to bet that in the U.S. MOA outsells mil reticles in hunting scopes. Not everybody is all snipery, snipery as you bad ass mofos. It amazes me that not only can some of you not handle more than one type of reticle function, but that anybody ever was actually able to kill an animal with that old redneck MOA shit stuff.

I swear that some of you could fall in a horse trough full of freshly poured beer and would bitch that it wasn’t your favorite craft beer. 😁😉

I think that it’s a great entry in that genre. Are youse guys the same ones bitching that NF stopped making it’s “great” 2-12x? The optics on this I bet will be superior and the NF also was not only MOA, but second focal plane.

Additionally, the reticle is as busy as I’d want a light fast hunting scope reticle to be.

I do not work for a scope company, but would be willing to bet that in the U.S. MOA outsells mil reticles in hunting scopes. Not everybody is all snipery, snipery as you bad ass mofos. It amazes me that not only can some of you not handle more than one type of reticle function, but that anybody ever was actually able to kill an animal with that old redneck MOA shit stuff.

I swear that some of you could fall in a horse trough full of freshly poured beer and would bitch that it wasn’t your favorite craft beer. 😁😉
    I've got no issue with the scope, which is why I posted it up as a great addition. The mag range is good, the reticle, from what fuzzy picture I could find, looks very suitable for hunting which is what this was built for. Its FFP and lightweight...we need more of these.
    Would I prefer MRAD? Absolutely. I also have a hard time buying a scope without a locking elevation turret, but my plans for the optic would involve more than just hunting. For hunting, its fine, I would paint an arrow on the top, ala Bushnell LRHS and hit the woods.

Reactions: lash
    1693759158462.jpeg

I've got no issue with the scope, which is why I posted it up as a great addition. The mag range is good, the reticle, from what fuzzy picture I could find, looks very suitable for hunting which is what this was built for. Its FFP and lightweight...we need more of these.
    Would I prefer MRAD? Absolutely. I also have a hard time buying a scope without a locking elevation turret, but my plans for the optic would involve more than just hunting. For hunting, its fine, I would paint an arrow on the top, ala Bushnell LRHS and hit the woods.
    I do prefer the Bushnell circle of death reticle for a lower powered scope. It’s the quickest reticle I have at low power.

The specs on the scope itself look great. I dont imagine it would cost them too much to make a variant with mil turrets and a good reticle.

Reactions: Bakwa and msgriff
    I do prefer the Bushnell circle of death reticle for a lower powered scope. It’s the quickest reticle I have at low power.
    It was/is a great one. The MRAD reticle in the FFP Meopta Optika 6 3-18 is a great one as well.

Reactions: BLEE and lash
    I'm with whoever said make it mil and add a locking turret. (Plus zero stop)

I have a T6xi 2.5-15 on my MK12 barreled build and I have fallen in love with that scope. A compact-ish 2-12 with a capped windage turret and lower profile elevation turret would be exactly what I want for my 14.5" gasser.

I just can't bring myself to buy the Athlon 2-12 or the PA 2.5-10. I have a high magnification Leupold MK5 and am just not that impressed so the leupy 2-10 is out the window (and a bit overpriced IMO). There Just needs to be more MPVOs.

I had even talked myself into breaking down and buying this steiner despite "Mowah" and lack of.lockimg turrets, but then I looked at the reticle. BDC? Nahhb

I do not work for a scope company, but would be willing to bet that in the U.S. MOA outsells mil reticles in hunting scopes.

I agree with what you’re saying in regards to MOA outselling, but only when confined to SFP scopes in the US market. Bubba would be even happier with IPHY (Shooters MOA) in his 3-9.

FFP scopes on the other hand I believe would be majority Mils. European FFP hunting optics are majority Mils.

It’s good to have options, but no Mils in this is hamstringing themselves.

Reactions: HaydenLane
    Yes, A MIL version will be released this Spring.
    Strange they are keeping it as an H6Xi mil/mil scope, I thought the T series was supposed to be their mil/mil offerings? Either way, thrilled mil is coming, ILya thinks the STR-Mil reticle is done well to boot so might be something to evaluate in my MPVO lineup later this year...

Supposedly this is the STR-Mil reticle, if so I'm not impressed.
    Ilya said on his live stream that it's the same reticle as they are putting in the 3-18, which it is well suited to, a 2-12 not so much IMO.
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see myself ever holding 10 Mil of elevation and 6 Mil of wind in a scope like this.
    I wouldn't even use 9 Mils of wind holds on the main crosshair.

Ilya has said previously when he told Steiner to do a MIL "Tactical" version of this scope they didn't think it'd sell.
    If they are just going to do a half assed attempt at a MPVO then it probably won't sell.

It's not that hard to make a decent MPVO reticle, they can even steal Athlons AHMR2 reticle and I'd be happier than this thing.
    How hard is it to design something that is more modern than the TMR but less busy than a Horus retcle?
    FFS Ilya even designed his own one that I'm sure Steiner could use for free.

steiner-new-reticle.jpg

Strange they are keeping it as an H6Xi mil/mil scope, I thought the T series was supposed to be their mil/mil offerings? Either way, thrilled mil is coming, ILya thinks the STR-Mil reticle is done well to boot so might be something to evaluate in my MPVO lineup later this year...
    I want one

I have a Pre64 that needs a new scope and this may be it

No brand shill but my T6 is the cats ass on my AT and I asked them to make the H6 in mil and they finally did it

They’ll get my money on this one too lol

Reactions: lash
    Ilya said on his live stream that it's the same reticle as they are putting in the 3-18, which it is well suited to, a 2-12 not so much IMO.
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see myself ever holding 10 Mil of elevation and 6 Mil of wind in a scope like this.

Ilya has said previously when he told Steiner to do a MIL "Tactical" version of this scope they didn't think it'd sell.
    If they are just going to do a half assed attempt at a MPVO then it probably won't sell.

It's not that hard to make a decent MPVO reticle, they can even steal Athlons AHMR2 reticle and I'd be happier than this thing.
    How hard is it to design something that is more modern than the TMR but less busy than a Horus retcle?

steiner-new-reticle.jpg

They all seem to do that though like people are going to be shooting in cat 5 hurricanes. If I need that much wind hold at those drops I’m staying home 😂

They all seem to do that though like people are going to be shooting in cat 5 hurricanes. If I need that much wind hold at those drops I’m staying home 😂
    Some of us shoot Fudd calibers. Like 270 win.

And we live in damn Florida man. You should know the damn wind can be blowing 5mph one way then sea breeze and dang 10mph the complete opposite

• Haha
    Reactions: Shoreglide
    Some of us shoot Fudd calibers. Like 270 win.

And we live in damn Florida man. You should know the damn wind can be blowing 5mph one way then sea breeze and dang 10mph the complete opposite

6 mils of wind at 10 drop is excessive even on a 22. If the zombie apocalypse goes down in a cat 5 though they’ll be ready.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    6 mils of wind at 10 drop is excessive even on a 22. If the zombie apocalypse goes down in a cat 5 though they’ll be ready.
    Don’t put that evil on us it’s getting wild here

Especially over by the damn college

A fantastic reticle for this scope category.

To play devils advocate (on myself even), many LPVOs have that much hold in the tree so I could see an argument for it in this scope.
    If you were shooting a 13" 223 at moving targets it might be useful.
    But to me it looks like they left out all the other bits that make LPVO reticles useful on lower magnification.

Most people don't use reticles like this in 3x as they are too thin to see, so on 2x it'll almost be invisible.
    Now if they turn around and make the main staida .07mil thick, or if they thicken the outer bars and bring them closer to centre (4-6mil each side), I'll have to eat crow but somehow I doubt I'll be doing that.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382

steiner-new-reticle.jpg
    If that center cross lights up as bright as the sun it could work, but based on what I've seen from Steiner illumination I doubt that is the case, she me this reticle at 2x and then give me a very busy and shadowy backdrop and I bet this thing disappears.

Reactions: stefan73
    If that center cross lights up as bright as the sun it could work, but based on what I've seen from Steiner illumination I doubt that is the case, she me this reticle at 2x and then give me a very busy and shadowy backdrop and I bet this thing disappears.
    If the illumination is like their T6xi 1-6, it’ll be more than bright enough.

If the illumination is like their T6xi 1-6, it’ll be more than bright enough.
    I envision it'll be more like the T6Xi 3-18x56 in which case it won't be (bright enough), we'll have to wait and see, here's to hoping it is bright enough :)

Reactions: PBWalsh
    I envision it'll be more like the T6Xi 3-18x56 in which case it won't be (bright enough), we'll have to wait and see, here's to hoping it is bright enough :)
    ORRRRR someone you know, take a week to flesh out a purpose made reticle that works at 2x and 12x with or without a battery.

Reactions: FredHammer
    This is huge for me. My T6Xi has been thoroughly impressive albeit it heavy. The H6Xi will be going on my hunting rifles for sure.

Well seeing as how Ilya keeps coming up, this is what he has to say about the optic..

""Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 is now available with mrad turrets and a proper modern mrad tree reticle. You were asking for a true MPVO? This is the best expression of that idea I have seen yet. #steineroptics #riflescopes #mpvo #shotshow #SHOT2024 #ar15optics""

Well seeing as how Ilya keeps coming up, this is what he has to say about the optic..

""Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 is now available with mrad turrets and a proper modern mrad tree reticle. You were asking for a true MPVO? This is the best expression of that idea I have seen yet. #steineroptics #riflescopes #mpvo #shotshow #SHOT2024 #ar15optics""
    "Best expression to date" doesn't mean much if the bar has been set at ankle height.

@koshkin

Steiner’s IG page and website still only show the MOA version. Can you elaborate on the reticle design? Just saw your post on IG on the optic itself.

Is it just me or is it not all that compact?

Looks similar in size to my T6x 2.5-15 but 42mm objective instead of 50mm

Was hoping it would be the right fit for my 14.5 Afghan. Would like to see it side by side with a MK5 2-10

Edit - just looked up the specs. It's 1" shorter (12.8" vs 11.8") and 9oz lighter than the t6xi (32 vs 23.2oz). MK5 is 11.2" and 24oz. So it's really not that far off from the MK5. And has a larger objective.

Last edited:
    Is it just me or is it not all that compact?

Looks similar in size to my T6x 2.5-15 but 42mm objective instead of 50mm

Was hoping it would be the right fit for my 14.5 Afghan. Would like to see it side by side with a MK5 2-10

Edit - just looked up the specs. It's 1" shorter (12.8" vs 11.8") and 9oz lighter than the t6xi (32 vs 23.2oz). MK5 is 11.2" and 24oz. So it's really not that far off from the MK5. And has a larger objective.

And likely better glass. Least comparing to the two 3-18s the steiner is well above the MK5 in IQ.

Yeah I think Steiner Killed it with the T6Xi series. I do feel like mine could use some work on the turrets but glass wise the 3-18 is excellent and is neck and neck with the 4-16 ATACR.
    And with way bigger field of view and "perceived field of view"....with image extending all the way to the edge of view, instead of a toilet paper roll tunnel effect.....complimentary of Mark 5 and Nightforce

I agree the Steiner could have better turrets or at least more defined clicks. One of my 3-18 have decent clicks the other are lacking. I may send it back to Steiner in the future. I think overall they nailed the T6Xi

Reactions: Chrazy-Chris
    @koshkin

Steiner’s IG page and website still only show the MOA version. Can you elaborate on the reticle design? Just saw your post on IG on the optic itself.
    I am still recovering from SHOT. It is a proper modern tree reticle called STR-Mil. I have a picture here somewhere. I'll find it some time this weekend.

ILya