• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Didn't know I'd be joining this community yesterday. Would someone please educate me on this rifle?

Hey everyone, I took her to the range yesterday to give it a shot at zeroing and doing some groups. I'm shooting Federal Gold MatchKing 168gr.

Is there anything to be learned from these? I feel like the rifle isn't broken or anything which is always a concern when you buy something used. Any feedback would be great!

I tried to mark the order of shots. Number 3 was from me being an absolute dumbass and moving windage right instead of left 😵‍💫

My big question of the day is, I've been reading a lot about how follow through and keeping your sight on the target is important, but it seemed like every shot would throw my sights way off and it'd take me a bit to find the target again. Is it realistic or unrealistic to keep your scope on the target when using higher magnification, and what technique lends to that? For example, with a handgun I can get better recoil control if grip my control hand in different ways (more pressure, different direction of pressure, etc), but everything I've read about shooting precision rifle has been to just relax.

1000001178.jpg

I'm looking for recs for cheap practice ammo. I've already been recommended Federal 168 MatchKing for the "good stuff".

Does anyone have experience with Igman 147gr?

Reactions: ACard
Something to consider if you don't have convenient access to good training and can learn from videos. Frank, the owner of this site, offers a tremendous library of training videos that he's made over the years, to paid supporters. The training really does help not form bad habits, as you know from handgun shooting.

Something to consider if you don't have convenient access to good training and can learn from videos. Frank, the owner of this site, offers a tremendous library of training videos that he's made over the years, to paid supporters. The training really does help not form bad habits, as you know from handgun shooting.
Thanks for the tip! I may pick up a sub. With handgun videos, it took a long time to find "good' videos as there is a LOT of content out there and much of it isn't up to par.

Thanks for the tip! I may pick up a sub. With handgun videos, it took a long time to find "good' videos as there is a LOT of content out there and much of it isn't up to par.
Highly suggest signing up. I’ve learned so much from Frank. A bunch of people attend his in-person classes too.

You shooting prone or from a bench?

So far I've just shot from a bench, but I just learned that my club allows prone as well so I'm really looking forward to shooting prone.
Highly suggest signing up. I’ve learned so much from Frank. A bunch of people attend his in-person classes too.

You shooting prone or from a bench?

I'm looking for recs for cheap practice ammo. I've already been recommended Federal 168 MatchKing for the "good stuff".

Does anyone have experience with Igman 147gr?
You don’t shoot cheap stuff to practice.
Get some 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match along with some 175gr FGMM.
You can also try 178gr Hornady Match with the ELD-M bullet.
They should all stabilize in a 1-12 twist barrel.

Get a sniper log book and log every shot.

Shoot it at 100m to zero and get a baseline.
Shoot it at distance to get your dope.
Record everything from Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude.
Get a Kestrel which will help with data gathering and a ballistic calculator such as the one by Applied Ballistics.
I use Strelok Pro but it is now Unavailable due to Igor being from Russia.

The best money you can invest now is in training.

You don’t shoot cheap stuff to practice.
Get some 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match along with some 175gr FGMM.
You can also try 178gr Hornady Match with the ELD-M bullet.
They should all stabilize in a 1-12 twist barrel.

Get a sniper log book and log every shot.

Shoot it at 100m to zero and get a baseline.
Shoot it at distance to get your dope.
Record everything from Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude.
Get a Kestrel which will help with data gathering and a ballistic calculator such as the one by Applied Ballistics.
I use Strelok Pro but it is now Unavailable due to Igor being from Russia.

The best money you can invest now is in training.
Would you please show me an example page out of your logbook?

I’ve said for years video games are the unsung hero of gun rights by boosting owners.

So many people have got into guns after playing video games.

It’s a godsend considering fudds arent our friends and less people hunt now.
I agree that more gun ownership is good, as long as it not retards thinking they're operators. Also, the whole less people are hunting thing has me dumbfounded. There are more applicants for Colorado draw tags this year than ever. Where the fuck are there less hunters? Im still killing critters just fine here but I need to go there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
I agree that more gun ownership is good, as long as it not retards thinking they're operators. Also, the whole less people are hunting thing has me dumbfounded. There are more applicants for Colorado draw tags this year than ever. Where the fuck are there less hunters? Im still killing critters just one here but I need to go there.
Yeah, Burtg is off the rails on that less hunter statement. There has been, by orders of magnitude more, hunters in the last 10yrs even. More outfitters, millions of new hunters.

Yeah, Burtg is off the rails on that less hunter statement. There has been, by orders of magnitude more, hunters in the last 10yrs even. More outfitters, millions of new hunters.
He's likely just regurgitating what everyone else is saying. I hear it everywhere, "hunting numbers are down". All I know is it sure as fuck aint in CO.

Pretty sure this is Death before Dismount and them/they/their alternate account.

Wants to break top 100 as a “badass” PRS chooter and knows the gay Impact and ZCO combo aint gonna get they/them/their there.

Nice rifle and nice buy OP.
I have a few sweet rifles bought on consignment and nothing like that!!
Even I know, the gun from Counter Strike is an AWP in .338 LM. Not this pussy ass 308 shit.

I agree that more gun ownership is good, as long as it not retards thinking they're operators. Also, the whole less people are hunting thing has me dumbfounded. There are more applicants for Colorado draw tags this year than ever. Where the fuck are there less hunters? Im still killing critters just fine here but I need to go there.

“”
In relative numbers, the percentage of the U.S. population that hunts has been on a steady decline since at least 1960, when there were 14 million hunters, representing 7.7 percent of the total U.S. population of 180.7 million people. In 2020, hunters represented only 4.6 percent of the U.S. population.

New members strike again

Don’t doubt me

Could be country wide, but its not true in the west. Could be true in the east but numbers out here are up or steady year after year. I can send you all the CO hunting stats for the last 10 years and you can pour over them yourself if you'd like. Tags you could draw every year 5-8 years ago for run of the mill areas are now 4- 5 year tags. Some tags you could start putting in for at age 12 and you may literally never draw. There is talk of limiting the unlimited over the counter tags because there are so many sold. They dont limit tags because nobody wants them. If numbers here were below where they were in the 60's you'd just be able to buy statewide over the counter tags, like you could in the 60's and there are more animals now than there were then. If you read my post I asked where the numbers were down, because it aint here.

^ per capita ain’t your strong suit is it ?

Also. Long waits for tags has nothing to do with game populations being reduced by rough winters lately and wolf populations exploding , giving the Commies a reason to cut tag numbers ?

In case any of y’all westerners are blind wolf introduction is a back door to hunting bans

Introduce wolves
Protect wolves
Wolves eat game animals
“Have to reduce then eliminate game hunting cause there isn’t a big enough game population”

Show me where I said it wasn't down per capita nationwide. I made a simple statement about CO and the west, which is true.

The ballot box CO wolf reintroduction was bullshit, and it was definitely backed by all the anti hunters so you're probably right about that attempt.

C5A16B50-FB0F-47BF-9E95-B4AEB44CF2D1.jpeg

Never mind the fact that human population has exploded over those years

Any increase in probably due to hunters coming from states where wolves have eaten everything Plus Colorado hunters not being able to go to those states to hunt anymore

Reactions: Bender
Using those deer stats is cute. The decline in deer "hunters" down to that level is because ALL the mule deer tags in CO are now through the draw. There would be more if it was allowed. Mule deer numbers have been on the decline for several years now and the number of tags has reflected that. In 2023 there were 226229 people that wanted to hunt deer enough to go through the effort to put in for a tag. Quite a bit different than the 70,000 in your graph. Lots more than that want to hunt but refuse to pay to play the lottery game.
Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 11.04.08 PM.png

Here are the elk draw numbers from 2015 (as far back as they have easy to find total app stats) and 2023. Almost 50000 more people playing for the same number (or less) tags. This doesnt take into account a SHITLOAD of OTC elk tags for archery, second and third rifle.

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 11.00.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 10.59.23 PM.png

At any rate, you reply again and have the last word and we'll let this guy have his thread back about his AI. I know from hunting this state my whole life, seeing more and more guys in the woods every year in OTC units and it becoming harder and harder to get draw tags that we dont need to worry about hunting numbers being down in CO.

Nobody gives a fuck what you think .

Here is the subject again for you trolls .

Didn't know I'd be joining this community yesterday. Would someone please educate me on this rifle?​

• Love
Maybe I am missing something, but I think the groups are fantastic.

Especially shots 4-14

Maybe I am missing something, but I think the groups are fantastic.

Especially shots 4-14
I guess I don't have a good frame of reference. At 100 and assuming good technique, should everything look like "one big hole" (shots 4 and 5) , or is that unrealistic?

Long story short, I'm a huge Counter Strike nerd and bought this rifle on a whim after seeing it at my LGS yesterday. Would someone please educate me on it? Any info would be awesome, but answers to these specific questions would be appreciated:

• Is this an "Original" AW or is it one of the chassis builds?
  • Is there a way to find out when it was manufactured?
  • How is the rifle set up from an enthusiast perspective? (Bipod, Scope, etc)
  • How much is this package worth?
Looking forward to learning about this hobby!

You won the gun lottery. Congrats.

Read the manual and online reviews of the AIAW. They are very interesting rifles.

Get some 175gr FGMM ammo, or the m118 match suggested by @padom and go shoot.

Become a member and watch the training videos here on SH

You can watch SHLowlight videos on Youtube (Frank is the owner of SH)

Take a class or two. You can see upcoming classes here on SH

Welcome to SH

I did, just tried to sophomorically "one up" you in the most juvenile response I could muster on a whim! :ROFLMAO:

Long story short, I'm a huge Counter Strike nerd and bought this rifle on a whim after seeing it at my LGS yesterday. Would someone please educate me on it? Any info would be awesome, but answers to these specific questions would be appreciated:

• Is this an "Original" AW or is it one of the chassis builds?
  • Is there a way to find out when it was manufactured?
  • How is the rifle set up from an enthusiast perspective? (Bipod, Scope, etc)
  • How much is this package worth?
Looking forward to learning about this hobby!

I don't know what counter strike is, but what you have there is a very nice pick for jumping in on the sport.

As far as education? Muzzle points away from you and anything else you don't want destroyed. Enjoy it like its a toy, but treat it like your life and livelihood depends on it.
You landed the prom queen of rifles, so take it slow and get acquainted intimately.
Yes, intimately. Settle in and dry fire her Till you know her like you were born together. Then, and only then she'll tell you her secrets and you'll find out more about yourself than her abilities.

Then you'll give her a name. You'll feel quirky at first, but then the cosmoline will soak into your dna and mrna and you'll feel the wind.
It's all confusing now, I know, but when you shoot without pants on it'll all make sense.
Welcome to the board.

Reactions: RushBDontStop
Here is the subject again for you trolls .

Didn't know I'd be joining this community yesterday. Would someone please educate me on this rifle?​

You're late for your job cruising the truck stop parking lots

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
I'm looking for someone with AW experience to chime in. I've been finding conflicting source of truth for the recommended range of the adjustable trigger weight. Some sources say 2.2 - 4.5 lbs and others say 3.4 - 4.5 lbs. Does anyone know which is correct?