• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dillon 650 Press help

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I bought this press about a year ago. Tried it for awhile. Went back to single stage/ The powder didn't seem to drop the right charge all the time. Would it be better to set up a Uniflow RCBS powder or something to get more consistant powder charges. Any suggestions??

Re: Dillon 650 Press help

Both Hornady and RCBS offer case activated linkages for their drum style powder measures. Hornady also has powder through expanders so you can expand pistol case mouths and dump powder in the same station like the Dillon PM.

Andy

What are you trying to load?

Dillons are notoriously bad at meetering stick powders....personally, mine would not throw Varget worth a damn. Having said that, some folks fluff and buff the powder measure internals and claim to get drops within .2 grains, which would be fine in my book.

Best place to look for tips and tricks on the 650 is over at Brianenos.com

Give us more info.

It's broken....sell it to me for pennies on the dollar
smile.gif

Seriously, if you do sell, pm me.

I load mostly 308, 260, 243 using RL-17, 4832sc, Varget. I get a good half of an gr difference. I took it down awhile back and stored it. I was looking at it the other day and thought I got the press to use. I would like to find a way to get good loads out of it. I will check out that site.

Flitz and a Dremel tool are your friend. Get everything nice and polished and you'll find pretty consistant throws. The powder die bushing as well as the powder bars respond well to polishing.

Of those powders, Varget would be the best in the Dillon powder thrower. Varget is a very slick powder, and flows good, but it's still a stick powder. The others are common stick powder, and do not flow well through this type of measure. Try polishing, and see if it helps.

The best option would be to go to a spherical or ball powder if you want consistant powder throws. I get within .1 grains with my 223 ammo (I only load 223 and 40 on the 650). Or, use the Dillon for case prep (size and prime) and throw powder with a chargemaster and seat a bullet on a single stage.

The Hornady Case Activated PM works very well on my Dillon 450 (w/most 550 upgrades except for the toolheads....prefer the solid frame....). I load 9mm, 45 acp, .223, .308, 30.30, and 30.06 on it....well on two of them! Also run a single stage for a portable/range press for load work-ups.... Polishing the Dillon works wonders and there is an excellent article on it by LTRDave or something like that. Will see if I can find it and link it back here, or if someone already has it bookmarked.....

Do you check your loads on the Varget. That is the powder I was having a problem with. I set the powder bar at 46.6grs start pushing out loads decide to check the grs 47.2grs. It varied about a half a gr both ways. I took it off the bench and have not used it again. I polish the parts last night. Will try it one more time. If it does not load a more consistant load it will be gone or use just for BS ammo.

The Dillon people suggested ball powders are best for their dispenser but also suggested their magnum powder bar would be a better for non magnum cases like .30-06 and .270 Win.

I don't throw match ammo charges on my Dllon dispenser as I use the Chargemaster for these. I do use it for .223 and any production ammo like 8mm, .270, 30-06, .30-30, and pistol ammo.

I load most of my ammo on a single stage press. Would like to have another method of producing ammo in bulk if needed. Going praie dog hunting. It can be done with single but the dillon is nicer in that aspect. If I load in bulk or match I still want a consistant round no matter what. Otherwise I'am wasting good ammo and powder.

Polish the inside of the powder funnel, they are usually rough and will rust. If they have any rough surfaces they will cause the powder to bridge in the funnel. If you are not satisfied with the results you get with that you can use a Harrell's or similar Culver measure on your Dillon with the attachment available through Dillon.
My Harrell's will throw Varget within 1/10 gr.

I think I might get the attachments from Dillon. That is probaly going to be my best choice. I have never used the powder alarm system. I have heard good things about the Harrell's. I seen Sinclair Int. had those in thier catloag. Might check it out. Thanks

The Harrell's or the Neil Jones will work the best, but they will not screw into the Dillon adapter. I just used a bit of book binding or 100 mph tape to build up the area that threads down into the Dillon adapter. It works great. If you need pictures I can take some, but it's easy when you have both parts in hand to see what needs done.

Another thing to try is some STRONG rubber bands around the base of the hopper and the bolt on the bar. That makes the slide bar slam home at the end of the stroke. I seem to get a little more consistent throws that way. But, stick is going to throw around .2 at best, but thats what my RCBS does anyhow. Ball will do better but you will still get some wild ones. But I aint trying to load benchrest stuff on the dillon, I single stage though. 200/300 ayrd line stuff gets loaded on the Dillon, and I single stage the 600 yard and back stuff on the Forster using the Prometheus to dump the charges.

John

I purchase a UniqueTek Micrometer Powder Bar Kit. I have not installed it yet. I hope it does better. I do like the single stage for long range ammo. If this doesnt work I will try some of the ideas mention. I did polish the powder hopper. I will let you know the progress.