• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Primer Maker from Powder Valley... too good to be true?

gigabels

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2022
USA
Hi, I know little about reloading but I noticed this DIY primer kit and I can't find much feedback on it good or bad. Logically I'd think it must not be good enough or else it would be a lot more popular during this primer shortage (especially large rifle primers). But thought it'd be worth it to ask. Is it too unreliable? Too dangerous? Too much cost per primer you manually produce?

Interesting, tagged for information.

Without opening link guessing it uses same primer compound as made to reload 22 rimfire?

Real primer compound is no joke.

Reference recent events at Hornady.

Reactions: Gentleman4561
Without opening link guessing it uses same primer compound as made to reload 22 rimfire?

Real primer compound is no joke.

Reference recent events at Hornady.
"Uses some of the same ingredients as the original prime-all. But with better chemical proportions for a more consistent result."

It does say it can be used for 22 or any centerfire primers.

After watching a video of how they make primers at Federal, at the very least this kit will expose much less primer compound at one time, so it has that going for it. But it's also unclear how each primer will be filled with the exact same amount of compound like they do in a factory.

Reactions: camocorvette
a few guys i know have done this when the bat flu made everyone buy everything up. They worked perfect in the guns they fired them in. But they also said that unless you have A LOT of time on your hands like they did at the time to not even consider trying it.

Reactions: gigabels
a few guys i know have done this when the bat flu made everyone buy everything up. They worked perfect in the guns they fired them in. But they also said that unless you have A LOT of time on your hands like they did at the time to not even consider trying it.
Thanks for the info! That's kind of what I feared. Doesn't seem worth it unless there's a full blown panic. I saw that Federal employees make like 1000 at a time with a big ball of primer compound and very precise equipment. Do you know what size of primers they made?

this sounds about as cool as swaging your .22LR brass into .223 bullets