• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a shotgun?

I've got (2) SPAS 12's, a KSG, AND (3) Browning A5's. Guns are like golf clubs, gotta have a bag full

Reactions: camocorvette
Had a SPAS 12....even made my own recoil buffers for it....sold it for a premium and never looked back.
Same deal with my Saiga 12...Sold it at a profit.

Now I'm down to an 870 tactical, a 1927 A5 and this jewel.
ONG870.jpg

Last edited:
Had a SPAS 12....even made my own recoil buffers for it....sold it for a premium and never looked back.
Same deal with my Saiga 12...Sold it at a profit.

Now I'm down to an 870 tactical, a 1927 A5 and this jewel.View attachment 7618138

Is that an Ohip National Guard 870?

Would love to find one of those bayonet adapters with the rifle sight rather than bead.

Guessing if I ever came across the bayonet mount with a bead sight a gunsmith would be able to use the rifle sight from my barrel, it has to come off anyway, to silver solder on the mount in place of the bead.

Guess I'm on the lookout for any available adapter.

Finding one will be....

image.jpg

Anyone with USMC Mk 1 knowledge know how the trigger guard was finished?

Guessing it's just standard Remington black anodize.

Thinking I have a spare 512T sling swivel in parts supply. That would make a legit rear swivel....M40 like.

Got my thinking drink on.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
I have always wanted to mess around with my 870. parkerize it and put a heat shield and bayonet lug on it. But it has this property sticker on it. And I dont want to mess with its story. Not that I actually know where its from. I just would like to think I might be able to find out one day.

Attachments

• 20210510_222335.jpg
    20210510_222335.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 97
I have always wanted to mess around with my 870. parkerize it and put a heat shield and bayonet lug on it. But it has this property sticker on it. And I dont want to mess with its story. Not that I actually know where its from. I just would like to think I might be able to find out one day.

Crime scene evidence......Diddn Du Nuffin :)

There is a guy on eBay that makes truly presentation grade wood stocks for the 870. Beautiful stuff, but about $300-$350 a set.

On a side note, whatever happened to homewrecker shotguns?

There is a guy on eBay that makes truly presentation grade wood stocks for the 870. Beautiful stuff, but about $300-$350 a set.

On a side note, whatever happened to homewrecker shotguns?

Homewrecker had some nice builds in pictures I dont know how they worked out in reality.

Last time I had a desire for a shotgun I was thinking of having them build me an 1100.

Im pretty happy with the way this is going though.

I understood that GI milsurp wood I bought to be hard to come buy and first week there it is on Ebay.

I waited till the last 30 seconds before I put my maximum bid in and sniped it efficiently.

I dont think finding that USMC bayonet adapter will be easy though.

Emailed "Parts for Antique Guns" to see if they can make the Mk 1 adapter - they make shrouds/bayonet studs for just about every other model of Mil Shotty including the Remington Model 10 which is likely where the Mk 1 adapter derived from....they are too busy with their in production products right now.

Picking up my shotty today...I will have to check out that Ebay wood dealer. There is a great source on there also for M40 stocks - probably the best available right now - Im getting a .308 with DBM built on one....more hand oil coming.

Reactions: deltawiskey
Wood is nicer than I expected.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I will strip it down and have months to linseed it up waiting for my metal to get finished.

Citristrip.

Will do.

I'll hit it with that first than see how clean its comes out.

Maybe some acetone if that wont do it, dont think it will need oxalic acid or anything nor do I want to bleach it to be swamp maple.

How caustic to plastic is citristrip? If I plastic wrap this to keep the wood wet and allow the strip to work will it craze the plastic and create a mess of everything. Maybe just use paper to wrap and let it "soak".

Use the gel. You can wrap it in Saran Wrap and let it sit over night, no issues at all.

avoid sand paper until it’s damn near raw wood. Citristrip, plastic scraper, and a stiff nylon bristle brush will get that crap off. You can also use the purple 3m scrubbers in the paint section from Lowe’s.

I never use steel wool anymore and use the 3m finishing pads.

Sanding should be final finish step and I’d start at 150 grit and go up from there. Probably 220 or 320 depending on if the wood has any figure. Take the end grain on the butt stock to 400 grit.

Reactions: lash and pmclaine
Some reference material

1620987780468.png

1620987802408.png

1620987827074.png

1620987844096.png

It's cheaper to make an SBS. Just get a $85 14" barrel, a $200 stamp and magpul furniture.

It's cheaper to make an SBS. Just get a $85 14" barrel, a $200 stamp and magpul furniture.

Even cheaper still...

1620992766132.png

Maybe I should just get one of these. I bet I could make that wood beautiful. Price of 2x4 these days though it likely wont be cheaper.

Consider trimming enough wood off of the rear of the fore end so it doesn't overlap the receiver during the reload pump. Even though there isn't enough room for your little finger to fit into this gap, should the moment get exciting and your hands a bit wet, it can. I am sure of this. When it happens it's distracting and your hands and the fore end get more wet and slick.

I trimmed about 3/4" from one of mine and switched out the fore end on the other to the corn cob style.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: pmclaine
Sweet. Let the citristrip do it’s thing. It may take more than one application, but I guarantee it’ll take any finish off. The plastic scrapers and bushes will let you maintain the stock lines.

when fully stripped, let it dry a day or two. Then do an acetone wipe to ensure all residual crap is gone.

should come out very nice.

Attachments

• 16210223751032011361250.jpg
    16210223751032011361250.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Sweet. Let the citristrip do it’s thing. It may take more than one application, but I guarantee it’ll take any finish off. The plastic scrapers and bushes will let you maintain the stock lines.

when fully stripped, let it dry a day or two. Then do an acetone wipe to ensure all residual crap is gone.

should come out very nice.

Started by wiping it with acetone to clean off any grime.

Seems like it was stained. Will citristrip draw out stain or am I hitting that with sandpaper?

In the warm room wrapped in plastic.....

image.jpg

Very nice, and to the question of needing a shotgun.
Everyone needs a shotgun, for home protection 00 buckshot is king.
Mine is never out of arms reach when im in bed.

Saw a video today of what #4 buck does from a mil shotty with duckbill and without.

If you need to take out three guys side by each coming at you use the duckbill.

Want one guy to have a really bad day just use full bore.

Reactions: XLR308
That 870 is one of my bucket list guns. More class than a modern plastic fantastic.

Late 70's police trade ins. $750 for the group. Triggers taken apart, cleaned, all wear surfaces polished. Added GG&G single point sling attachments and 6 shell side saddles. Vang mag followers and dome head safety. Receivers drilled and tapped for sight rail. Three color Cerakote. XS Sights DXT big dot sights. Gave one to a good friend, kept two. One still looks the same. On the other I did what you are starting. More than a few coats of linseed oil, all sanded in. Looks like this now:

IMG_0758.JPG

Current project is a 1956 20 gauge Wingmaster for SWMBO.

Have fun.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Late 70's police trade ins. $750 for the group. Triggers taken apart, cleaned, all wear surfaces polished. Added GG&G single point sling attachments and 6 shell side saddles. Vang mag followers and dome head safety. Receivers drilled and tapped for sight rail. Three color Cerakote. XS Sights DXT big dot sights. Gave one to a good friend, kept two. One still looks the same. On the other I did what you are starting. More than a few coats of linseed oil, all sanded in. Looks like this now:

View attachment 7625673

Current project is a 1956 20 gauge Wingmaster for SWMBO.

Have fun.

Thank you,
MrSmith

In the first photo they looked stainless or hard chrome....They are parked?

Started by wiping it with acetone to clean off any grime.

Seems like it was stained. Will citristrip draw out stain or am I hitting that with sandpaper?

In the warm room wrapped in plastic.....

View attachment 7625564
Depends. It may just be the finish that makes it look stained, and years of grime.. If it's stained, you will have to sand, but start light. Make sure all of the finish is off first. From the pictures, the stock just looks dirty.

Reactions: lash and pmclaine
Cerakote is the metal finish. My reference was to your refinishing the wood.

Next step is to get rid of the recoil pads. Still looking around for three Remington plastic butt plates.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Cerakote is the metal finish. My reference was to your refinishing the wood.

Next step is to get rid of the recoil pads. Still looking around for three Remington plastic butt plates.

Thank you,
MrSmith

You have probably found these already......

The 870 Wingmaster is still my go-to for bird hunting. I've had mine for 30 years as it was a gift from dad on my 12th birthday. Somehow I've managed to keep it in pristine condition after toting it for days in eastern WA pheasant hunting, and sneaking through trees as I pond hop ducks here in OK.

Slickest action on anything. You can just about cough and chamber the next shell. Ive got four Winchester Model 12s made between 1939 and 1956, and this ca. 1990 Wingmaster is still better.

I do have a 590A1 "Blackwater" as a HD rig, but since I have several loaded ARs laying around (I'm on a ranch, so a door rifle for shooting coyotes is pretty handy) my HD shotgun is all but put up. Grabbing up that 590A1 and trying to run it with authority after working the Wingmaster will make you feel like a real potato.

20210511_193539.jpg

That came out nice!

When you sand the oil in, do it on the first coat or two to grain fill. it should create a fine slurry. I use 400 grit for that. When you wipe excess oil off, wipe it across the grain to ensure the slurry fills the pores.

Let it dry.

Once pores are filled after the first two coats, then you no longer need to sand the oil in.

cystalac is a good grain filler too.

Reactions: lash
I was going to get some rottenstone and give that a try but Brownells is out and I'm too lazy to drive to the local Rockler.

I've got wet/dry from about 400 to 1500 it will come out plenty MilSurp Grade AAA+.

Hoping I can get the metal mailed before Wednesday. They are quoting 5 months but looking at how few parts there are can't see it taking that long.

Gentleman over at Jouster has built some Mk Is and I'm hoping he has some resources for a bayonet adapter.

Figuring I will leave my trigger pack as is. The lifter is already black and I see likely the same finish as would have been on the USMC guns. There are a few bright edges that I have tried to darken with "Aluma Black" but that is the most useless chemical known to gunsmithing. Planning on mixing a little solvent carrier with sperm oil and brushing the trigger to make it sweetly slippery.

Bolt appears to be stainless, hard chrome or raw steel. I will have it blued or black oxide. Guess I should break down the internals as I'm guessing only the body was finished dark.

Unsure how they will handle the sights when they park the barrel. I would like them to stay black, not parked. They may be aluminum so the may stay black anyway.

Anyone with Mk I info would love your input.

Man just stripped the bolt on the 870 figuring no need to send all the small parts in if all I need is the body to be blackened......what a gorgeous piece of metal.....the bolt.....the lock......fucking all steel with sharp machined edges....weighty......it's fantastic!