• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a shotgun?

Pure linseed oil. Not BLO.

I can't look it up on this device but in the 1960s the Army had a magazine much like Leatherneck that gave info to Troops.

In there is a private that ends up with a sticky M-14 and the Sarge reams him out the the only thing authorized is pure linseed oil NSN,,,,,,,,

I do my wood in either pure linseed or pure tung oil.

Tung being slightly more weather resistant but neither is much better than paper for weather protection.

It's a maintenance finish. There are better protection choices that require less attention.

I love it though.

I'll find that cartoon later and call you back by @ symbol.

Pictures on page 2 are of that gun.

My current barrel is too short to be an accurate clone but I'll likely not find an adapter any time soon either.

Thinking to get it built as is, maybe look for an old Wingmaster bird barrel, hack the appropriate length of material off to make the correct length and in the future if I come across an adapter.....build it over with the new barrel and a rear sight soldered on.

Almost $15,000. WOW!

They also sold a DD Ross connected M40A3 clone for close to $20k.

Wonder if it was from the same collector.

Expensive day yesterday....very, very bad for the wallet.

Went to Sig Sauer for a scoped rifle class. Class is $250 but that was paid for months ago and those tears have been shed.

As is my habit I arrive at Sig early and I pass by this spot on 95 north in Newburport, MA....

w84zh7tl.jpg

with more exposure to overcome the sunrise...

HKleiXIl.jpg

Ive never been to Texas ranchland but this is what I imagine it looks like. There is a a huge (for Massachusetts) swath of grassland and the owner runs a heard of Black Angus on it....I wish to shoot steel there.

So Im in Sig reading the news when the Pro Shop opens. I usually never buy anything there but I wanted to ask one question "Do you have any of the Sig M18 Commemorative USMC trials pistols?"

I expected the answer to be "No, sold out long ago."

Sadly the answer was "Why yes! Yes we do! $1050."

1621596808175.png

They claim it to be "Exactly like" the trials pistol but it lacks the full trigger that would allow me to shoot myself if I drop the gun.

Now Ill need to get a Safariland with GCode adapter for training and a Garrett Industries in case I ever decide to CC it.........Money.

For the class I decided I would buy Sigs ammo and maintain my FGMM 175 stockpile. $31/20 rd box. I bought a case. Shot 140 rounds came home with 60 (3 range sessions).

Billy Beroo liked it even though FGMM 175 is its regular diet...

cBrrrx6l.jpg

First 5 clean barrel to triangulate. Make .2 down/.1 left adjustment than I fired 5 more to check.....

h0wmFipl.jpg

Rest of my groups were not as tight but during team performance drills on a dueling tree I made all my shots and because I was shooting a heterosexual male caliber I was able to break a plate off the dueling tree.

So WTF does any of this have to do with my MK I build?

When we broke for lunch I opened the computer to check the news and shit and a member over at M40Rifle.com that has taken interest in my shotgun project sent me an Ebay link for this.....

1621598456511.png

1621598752505.png

Who the fuck buys a 30" slug barrel?

Anyway its got a correct Mk I rear sight and once I figure out exactly what length it needs to be cut to for MK I spec Ill get it cut, crowned and parkerized.

Ill leave it ready to install if I ever find the bayonet adapter. My preference is actually the shorter barrel but "cool" requires I try to get this close to MK I clone build.

Based on how fast this is all progressing Im scared a bayonet adapter is going to pop up soon. Im expecting buying that useless piece of stamped steel will cost me a lot of money.

Another member at M40Rifle went through his stash of seatbelt material OD slings looking for a 1969/1970 MRT marking and he says he sent me a good one Ill have to add that cost to yesterdays total.

Last edited:
You’re going to have to sell your ass if you keep this up!

When OVERTIME becomes a necessity!!

Ive been pretty lucky in getting a few that have made this possible.

Lucky that straight pay covers necessities.

I pay for the frivolous with sleep deprivation.

Reactions: Duc
Congrats on an exciting day. It may have been pricey, but you're spending money on fun stuff. Not like having to pay for a set of tires because some idiot dropped a box of nails in the road. I'm just saying.....

Congrats on an exciting day. It may have been pricey, but you're spending money on fun stuff. Not like having to pay for a set of tires because some idiot dropped a box of nails in the road. I'm just saying.....

You would be a great guy to "wingman" on a night out at the stripper bar......thank you! I feel so much better thinking in those terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: BullGear
Did someone mention strippers?

I used to live with a stripper, so other strippers were always over. They LOVE .22s.

I'd show them the basics, and I'd watch these girls from the US, Canada, russia, and Columbia become scary good over an afternoon. I miss those days but they were wild. One owned a Lamborghini she let me try it out on the desert highways.

I used to live with a stripper, so other strippers were always over. They LOVE .22s.

I'd show them the basics, and I'd watch these girls from the US, Canada, russia, and Columbia become scary good over an afternoon. I miss those days but they were wild. One owned a Lamborghini she let me try it out on the desert highways.

Which did you prefer being in....the Lamborghini or the Clamborghini?

@Random Guy

Have you got Canfields Military Shotgun book?

Im trying to get the index reference for measuring the length to determine the "21 inch length" of the MK I barrel.

Hoping Canfield documents where measured from to reach spec length.

I love the Sig Sauer.
When I first joined services, Browning 9mm was the service pistol.
Really liked that. Then we transitioned to the Sig P226..... streaks ahead in functionality and I reckon durability.
I'm renewing my handgun licence for practical shooting, and the Sig is going to be my choice.
Did a shoot the other weekend, and still managed to hit the targets, and stay in the game.

Reactions: pmclaine
Excuse me if this message is a little wet.....

My barrel arrived today.

I couldnt have ever expected to get such a perfect specimen for this build.

Heavy wall steel, perfect sights, already parkerized....looks like its a mil gun take off.

I think I will be buying the Canfield book in hopes it has the datum to measure from and spec to go buy to cut my "new" barrel to length.

and my wood.........Its coming out fantastic. Spending alot of time in the sun. Sunshine makes linseed oil "da bomb".

Took a look at my just delivered shotgun barrel.

The USMC used a MOD choke.

Mine is FULL.

Im kind of thinking a Full choke may be a better option to own.

Any reason to think otherwise?

Id prefer to load with buckshot more than slugs.

Took a look at my just delivered shotgun barrel.

The USMC used a MOD choke.

Mine is FULL.

Im kind of thinking a Full choke may be a better option to own.

Any reason to think otherwise?

Id prefer to load with buckshot more than slugs.
Modified should shoot 9 pellet good. Full should shoot 8 pellet better.
You should shoot a hog with it as a function check.

Reactions: benwitt11
Your stocks look great cant wait to see the finished product, my 870 18" barrel is full choke and I shoot #4 buck mainly because I have a ton of it that was given to me a few years ago, seems to work just fine, if I were to buy ammo it would be 00 buck.

Reactions: Davo308
Everyone needs a shotgun. Just chopped one of my old A5s to 18.5" this weekend for a new dove/skeet gun. It's an "american" browning made my remington with Browning markings.

Thinking about SBSing it and going down to 13" next.

6bihx8z.jpg

Everyone needs a shotgun. Just chopped one of my old A5s to 18.5" this weekend for a new dove/skeet gun. It's an "american" browning made my remington with Browning markings.

6bihx8z.jpg

My local shop often gets Remington Model 11s that were drafted for WWII either as aerial gunnery practice guns or for riot/guard duty. I was thinking of getting one of those but this pump captured my attention.

Great looking gun and those things shoot soft.

Last edited:

6bihx8z.jpg
Whippet or bust

My local shop often gets Remington 1100s in that were drafted for WWII either as aerial gunnery practice guns or for riot/guard duty. I was thinking of getting one of those but this pump captured my attention.

I'd love to get ahold of one of those.

I'd love to get ahold of one of those.

I meant to type "Model 11" and have corrected my post.

The 11 is the humped back Browning A5 licensed to Remington.

I infrequently head by the shop but I can keep an eye open if you like.

PM me if you want me to look into anything.

Thanks anyway.

I'd be interested in those Model 11s. How much are they asking for them and how often do they become available?

Whippet or bust
not a fan of the super short LOP and like the goofy look of the stock sticking backwards from the receiver further than the barrel does forward

I'd love to add a US marked M11 to my A5 collection

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I think I will be buying the Canfield book in hopes it has the datum to measure from and spec to go buy to cut my "new" barrel to length.
Canfield's book is excellent. It doesn't have any datum info, but refers to the barrel on the Mk 1 as 21", and the barrel is about 1/4" longer than the 7-shot magazine extension tube.

One interesting thing shown in pics of the M870 Mk 1 from the 1980-90s - is that not only were the rear sights often removed, but the front sight blade has often been drifted out too, so the only sight on those USMC M870 was the remaining front pedestal and I guess what is left of the rear sight pedestal that lacks the sight leaf. Just an observation that Canfield makes about this particular shotgun.

Good luck finding the bayonet adapter...but you are closer than you think:

Who...buys a 30" slug barrel?

Anyway its got a correct Mk I rear sight...

...and I think the correct front sight too. If you could find the later bayonet adopter with just the brass bead, you could remove the bead and likely use the front sight you got on that 30" barrel - as it could be brazed to the bayonet adopter and give you the same aesthetics at the old Mark 1 bayonet lug. Just my 2cts.

Attachments

• IMG_9860.jpg
    IMG_9860.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9861.jpg
    IMG_9861.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9863.jpg
    IMG_9863.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Canfield's book is excellent. It doesn't have any datum info, but refers to the barrel on the Mk 1 as 21", and the barrel is about 1/4" longer than the 7-shot magazine extension tube.

One interesting thing shown in pics of the M870 Mk 1 from the 1980-90s - is that not only were the rear sights often removed, but the front sight blade has often been drifted out too, so the only sight on those USMC M870 was the remaining front pedestal and I guess what is left of the rear sight pedestal that lacks the sight leaf. Just an observation that Canfield makes about this particular shotgun.

Good luck finding the bayonet adapter...but you are closer than you think:

...and I think the correct front sight too. If you could find the later bayonet adopter with just the brass bead, you could remove the bead and likely use the front sight you got on that 30" barrel - as it could be brazed to the bayonet adopter and give you the same aesthetics at the old Mark 1 bayonet lug. Just my 2cts.

I have a contact that may give me info on how to determine 21". The book will be good reading whether or not it has that specific info. Probably I will have to wait until my receiver comes back than fit the barrel and go by "looks right" measurement.

Saw that sight issue and truth be told my idea with mil shotgun its either used for "Oh shit" in the moment fire superiority/shock allowing the rifles and MGs to come to bear or its a breeching device.

In neither scenario do you need a buckhorn and blade - it will only slow you down. So the armorer says remove them.

The bayonet adapter will pop up, unknown how costly it will be when it does.

Im amenable to buying a bead adapter and will do exactly as you state with the front sight - braze it on - I am lead to believe though that the bottom has to be milled slightly to keep the sights registered.

The 30 inch barrel is a FULL choke rather than MOD that the USMC used. Unsure if that matters to me.

Im not using the shotgun walking point with a need to put pellets in two enemy walking side by side. If I fire down my hallway I would prefer all the pellets going into one target.

Last edited:
Thanks anyway.

I'd be interested in those Model 11s. How much are they asking for them and how often do they become available?

I see them enough to not say its "rare" but than again they are not always there.

Ive handled some that are in more military trim and there are early ones that have an ordnance mark and engraved bird scenes. Barrels can vary in length depending on what the mil used them for.

Sent you a PM.

Nice loooking shotguns.Back in the 80 s I had a Benelli 101 semi auto foolishly got rid of it.Had a Saiga .But it continued to fail in 3 consecutive 3-Gun matches so I got rid of that.About 30 years ago I had a Remington 1100 but traded it.I still have my Remington 870 its about 30 years old and still running like a champ.Carried it on duty for 20 years.I would like a semi auto,I do have an itch for another 1100.

Reactions: RPN
I would have to say yes a shotgun is a necessary addition to any home defense battery/SHTF arsenal.
I was not a shotgun guy" even after I purchased my Mossberg 590A1.
I became a "shotgun guy" after I purchased my Benelli M4.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good shotgun.
The Benelli M4 is a work of art.

Phil,

Here's another interesting option, the factory marked Ohio Nat'l Guard Rem 870 riot guns. Early 1970-ish?. No wonder the surplus ones sold out for $229.00

Yep,

I'd love to get hold of one of those beaded bayonet adapters. I would use the front sight from my 30 inch barrel with some brazing to make it a USMC style adapter.

Got a NOS late 60s M7 Bayonet in route and Ive been putting a daily coat of linseed oil on my wood.

The project is in GunBlacks hands.

I think I figured out how to measure 21 inches to cut my 30 inch barrel correctly but Ill be standing by until I get the gun back to make sure "the look" confirms my index to measure from.

Thank you for thinking of my project with this more eyes looking may find an adapter cast adrift.

Perhaps someone still active in the Air Force or Marines knows an E3 Airman or Lance Corporal in the armoury thats behind on his circa early 2000s Miata payments and knows when their current dead stock inventory of adapters is going to the dumpster.