• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes do the non "i" Kahles scopes have HD lenses also?

Re: do the non "i" Kahles scopes have HD lenses also?

Playing with the K312 at the shop and comparing it to other german/austrian manufacturers with "HD" lenses, I don't see a difference optically. I have been really impressed with the scope overall.

Maybe Ken will see the thread and post something to help. If not send him a pm. "Kahles USA" is his name here on the hide.

Give Jay or I a call if you want to talk about it.

HD lenses are bullshit and a marketing gimmick.

What usually changes is the coating on the lenses.

Odds are if they are made in the same time frame by the same company at similar prices the coatings are the same.

FWIW even a 10-15 year old Zeiss Kahles or Swaro will still have very good/downright amazing glass so I would not worry about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HD lenses are bullshit and a marketing gimmick.

What usually changes is the coating on the lenses.

Odds are if they are made in the same time frame by the same company at similar prices the coatings are the same.

FWIW even a 10-15 year old Zeiss Kahles or Swaro will still have very good/downright amazing glass so I would not worry about that. </div></div>

I agree with this to an extent. your right about the European glass being awesome, and that SOME of the HD labeling on the market right now is marketing. However, when you look at HD glass from some manufactures, leica, zeiss, swarovski and a few others there is a difference in the composition of the glass because they integrated calcium fluoride crystals in the glass, the difference is substantial.

Hello and great question,
"HD lens"can be used to identify optics of a very broad range and price point.  So I too would not base your opinion on the title of HD lens.

There are very few lens producers in the world for manufactures to choose from so the real difference truly comes down to not so much the raw lens but the proprietary coatings   And optical dimensions unique to each manufacture. 

Take the lens used in Kahles optics as an example. In 1972 Kahles began offering rifle scopes with multiple lens coatings. The first of its kind. Since the first production of multiple coatings, Kahles has refined and produced better quality with increases in modern technology with every new scope produced.

We have pioneered many of the features now common in rifle scopes today such as:

1.  The worlds oldest riflescope manufacturer in existence since 1898
2. First riflescope with adjustable ballistic drop
compensation (patent 1904)
3.First waterproof riflescope using O-Rings (1960)
4. First multi-coated riflescope in series production(1972)
5. Led the industry in many aspects such as,compactness, edge to edge
resolution and wide field-of-view

So regarding clarity and optical performance, we have more experience and time working with rifle scope clarity than any other company, more than 114 years.

Let our history and customer opinions define our glass quality or even better, compare our optics to any other manufacture and let your eyes be the judge.

Regards,
Ken

kahles, I'd be willin to throw a free scope up on the comparator and let me eyes do the walkin, just sayin

scopes.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HD lenses are bullshit and a marketing gimmick.</div></div>

Agreed. I think that Nikon started this whole thing with it's ED glass designation used to differentiate some of its more expensive products that apparently had a more expensive, lower chromatic aberration, glass. At this point it seems that Vortex and a few others saw wisdom, or more likely efficacy, in adding a trendy name to the lenses in their more expensive products as well. I am disappointing to see that now some Europeans feel the need to add meaningless appellations as well. All glass was never equal and I don't see adding meaningless marketing terms to designate your super special glass as helping people to make informed decisions.

Incidentally, I find Nikons ED products as well as Vortex HD products to be of excellent optical quality despite my disagreements with their marketing terms which have, by the way, completely backfired. A quick web search tells me that I can get "Ultra HD" binoculars that are clearly superior to simple "HD" binoculars for a mear $80.

The Kahles glass is outstanding. When you look through a Kahles Optics you know you’re looking through the best glass money can buy.

529798_3563614021402_1604404138_2748708_900543271_n.jpg

Mike @ CST