• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you shoot your .223?

I find it more enjoyable for longer days at the range, especially when shooting with kids, newer shooters, ladies and friends with AR15s.

I prefer my .223 when shooting by myself. Recoil is itty bitty.

When shooting on a line with friends with larger centerfire, I definitely prefer something that'll ring the steel loud and clear and really move that swinger.

I've never regretted getting a T3x Varmint. My favorite gun. Getting a compact stock for the shorter LOP to help with shorter shooters that use my gun.

Reactions: 260284
Definitely. One of my favorite rounds. I especially enjoy hitting steel at 1000 yards. Need some help from mother nature, but still a good round.

Reactions: CarbonMTN
I've only put about 800 rounds down mine in the last year and I spent more than 100 days out of town traveling for work and holiday.

Shooting my Tikka tac 223 is like eating peanuts ( or for me , cashews) you just have to shoot it. No recoil, quiet, cheap and the wind gives you great excuses for piss poor shooting:D

Reactions: CarbonMTN
My tikka t3x varmint is my Favorite rifle. It’s killed a lot of coyotes the last year. I got a first round hit on a clay pigeon at 1306 yards this evening after shooting my 6.5 at that distance. I cut the barrel to 18 inches and it sits in a manners stock. It is a handy critter hitter for the farm shooting 75 ELD.

I'll say its not as fun as something like a 260/280/etc, but they are still fun. Cheaper and less fatigue with large round counts too.

I don't shoot mine as much as I wish I did. I'm still engulfed with my 6mm's and just got my first 6 Dasher barrel recently so I'm afraid there will be even less time for my lovely .223. I have a feeling I will go back to it in another year or so, I would eventually like to actually shoot a match with it once I get a little better and shoot a few more of them.

I shoot my .223 Bolt gun 10:1 over my 6.5 cm. I just use a book load with 55fmj and with electric muffs, I can hear it tink the 700yd plate!

Reactions: deersniper
I do, indeed. I love the little .223... and like others have said, I think that it should be part of every "gun guy's" collection.

I use mine more than any of my competition rifles. They are great practice, cheap and can be every bit as accurate as any caliber you can name. Wade Stuteville built me a trainer that is identical to my match rifle, and that is the gun I reach for for practice and for having a ball. The wind was right during one of my range sessions, and you couldn't miss the 1 MOA plate at 900 yards. In fact, you HAD to shoot the 1 MOA plate because there was so little energy left to see a hit!

I'd recommend one highly. You don't need to use the Ackley or Valkyrie to have a riot. Grab one and enjoy!

I love mine although it is ackley cause I like the extra performance and no trimming i beliv I put 1200 rounds on it last summer.

Reactions: Bender
its the one i bring out when anyone wants to come shooting with me.
over the past few years i have been shooting it less because i had a 6mmbr barrel spun for my AX.
wanted to get back to shooting groups again.
Since im not running and gunning when shooting groups, one shoot one doesnt matter.

I picked up a T3 Varmint this year and it is amazing how well it shoots the 75 ELDM. I am tempted to shoot a match with it this year. It has no recoil compared to my semi-custom CTR 6.5 Creedmoor. Need to shoot some coyotes with it.

My favorite rifle to shoot hands down is the 223 of any variant bolt or ar. I like to reload but do not enjoy prepping brass. So I send my brass away to get it processed at bullseyeprocessedbrass and for 4 cents I get it back put it through the Giraud and its ready to prime.

Using 75 Amax bullets mine shoots as well out to 800yd as my 6.5, and the elevation dope is virtually the same. Going out further the 6.5 leaps ahead in the windage category. Because I practice so much with the 223 I can shoot it much better, and I must force myself to shoot the 6.5 more. Its fun to shoot it better on the line than others using the superior rounds!

I like shooting my 223 for dot drills at 100 yards or when I want to change things up

Reactions: reubenski
I have two 223 custom bolt rifles, and out of all of my rifles, I think I am the most confidant with them. The only limitation can be the round-itself. Within 600 yards pretty deadly, beyond that wind plays a huge role. There have been an increase in long range .224 bullets that can give you a long range capability thathave come on the market. I shoot 77 Sierra's, mainly because I have so many of them, but I will probably start to looking to the shoot the Hornady ELD-M 75's soon.

I don't like using the term trainer for 223, in fact I hate it, as the rifles are extremely capable within the limitations of the .224 ammunition and the term trainer connotes an ineffective rifle used only for training me on 22's. I know why people say it, as it is cheaper to shoot than the 308 or Creedmoors, but to me, it is just another tool in the tool-kit I take when I know the round would be effective in what I am doing - coyotes, varmints, deer kill them every time, elk not so much.

I think they’re bitchin. Amazing what you can get done with such a small cartridge.
As a kid growing up my grandfather taught me how to reload for his 222. Later in life I used it to put lots of meat on the table, some legal some not. After coming home from uncle the first time in 67 I bought a 600 Rem. in 223. The first meat it put on the table was a moose I dropped in Lake Como south of Hamilton Mt. Shot it in the eye at about 125yds an it dropped like a rock. One of the stupidest things I ever did while hunting as getting that thing out of the water was not fun.

.223/5.56 is most of what I've been shooting over the past 3-4 years.

Some of the reasoning behind this is that true LR facilities have been difficult or impossible for me to use conveniently. Accepting this restriction, the .223/5.56's shorter performance envelope does better job of simulating the LR distances I'd like to be shooting, and presents a better challenge than the longer/flatter shooting alternatives. It's also more economical to handload for, and it's really satisfying to get them shooting with respectable precision.

I have other chamberings on up to .30-'06, and I keep my hand in on them, but the .223/5.56 gets the grand majority of my attention these days.

It's especially well suited to my personal situation.

Greg

I just built a TL-2 for a 223 rifle and have liked it a lot so far.

I see it getting a lot of use especially since I can load 75gr A-MAX on my RL550B very quickly with W748 and it shoots great to boot!

I'm finding myself consistently going back to .223 more and more. Target shooting with it is ridiculously fun, especially suppressed. Shooting 75 ELD M's confident out to 800yd with it. Last weekend pounded out 100 rounds and didn't even realize I shot that much until I ran out of ammo. Cheap and easy (less recoil) ... What's not to love!?!

Reactions: JSTARSZ
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have an extra R700 action that I want to put a barrel on, and was thinking about going with a .308 and open the bolt face up, but I'm starting to like the idea of a .223 1:7 remage barrel for practice. It'll be fun I bet.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I have an extra R700 action that I want to put a barrel on, and was thinking about going with a .308 and open the bolt face up, but I'm starting to like the idea of a .223 1:7 remage barrel for practice. It'll be fun I bet.

Go for it, you'll love it. It's impressive what heavies in .223 can do.

Also found that .223 is my go to for days that a guy feels like $hit (fatigued, sick, or stressed) ... Nice to be able to relax a little more but yet still get out and shoot. Also fun to tease a friend when your staying on par with him and his super sexy 6 or 6.5mm cartridge?

Reactions: Changed and Tunnuh
I like 223 and for the first time in a long time I don't have a 223 bolt gun. That needs to change but I can't decided on anything and not sure I want to go the custom route. I'm liking the Tikka Tac A1 223 coming out later this year but not sure I want to wait for that.

It makes for a great low cost shooter and with some of the bullets these days it doesn't give up a whole lot in terms of ballistics. A year ago I'd never consider 223 for anything but a gas gun match but after watching Shawn Wiseman put up some pretty impressive scores on multiple stages I definitely see it as a feasible option especially if that's what a guy has. I don't intend to run one at a match but if something happened to another rifle and I had a 223 running 90-95's I wouldn't hesitate.

Run the numbers on the 95gr SMK at 2700 which should be attainable in a 223 bolt gun, maybe even more velocity vs a 105 Hybrid at 2800-2850 like most guys are seeing in 6BR... I'll give you a hint... It beats it.

1:7" twist is something the Government adopted for the under 16" M-4 barrels. I'm shooting HDY 75gr HPBT-Match in a pair of 24", 1:8" barrels and another 24" that's 1:9".

Right now at Midway, Hornady/Frontier 75gr HPBT-Match is available and not exorbitantly expensive, and I just bought 240 IMI 77gr for $126, shipping free; it's a one-time blowout sale.

Greg

Go for it, you'll love it. It's impressive what heavies in .223 can do.

Also found that .223 is my go to for days that a guy feels like $hit (fatigued, sick, or stressed) ... Nice to be able to relax a little more but yet still get out and shoot. Also fun to tease a friend when your staying on par with him and his super sexy 6 or 6.5mm cartridge?

I think you make a very good point. I can't wait for my bonus in a few weeks!

Reactions: BJames
Run the numbers on the 95gr SMK at 2700 which should be attainable in a 223 bolt gun, maybe even more velocity vs a 105 Hybrid at 2800-2850 like most guys are seeing in 6BR... I'll give you a hint... It beats it.
[/QUOTE]

Think a 26" 1:7 Will stabilize the 95gr smk?

Think a 26" 1:7 Will stabilize the 95gr smk?[/QUOTE]

Sierra is calling for a 1:6.5 to stabilize. So probably marginal stability at 1:7, but could probably get away with it if you push it fast enough. Temps that you are shooting in might also come into play since you'd be on that bubble at 1:7 with a 95 grainer.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1396/224-dia-95-gr-HPBT

You could check out berger stability calculator and run the numbers so you know exactly where your at

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The 6x45 is fun round and is almost getting as much use as my .223 my son loves shooting it.

As much as I enjoy shooting my big guns, I still have a sweet spot for the .223's. I keep a 24" AR and 26" bolt gun for Coyote / PDog hunting (the bolt gun being EXCEPTIONALLY accurate with 64gn Bergers), a 20" HBAR NM AR for Highpower competitions and a 26" 1:7twist bolt gun for F-TR competitions. All of them provide tons of enjoyment for 1/10 the price of shooting my 300WM.

Big swingers out to 400 with bulk 55gr

Match for anything past 400

Though 550 is doable in dead wind with 55 if just plinking

No. I have a Rock River competition AR and a precision AR in 223, and I do shoot those a fair amount and the precision one is a go-to in dog towns.

In bolt action, I love the case as I have access to an almost limitless supply for free. However I have a 20 Practical as that maximizes the shorter range trajectory, and a 6X45 as that maximizes the performance on larger game (coyotes/deer).

Reactions: Slick66
So what kind of ranges do you find yourself most often shooting?
My local range only goes out to 300yds, 500yds on match days. Given those limitations I always bring a .223 with me for practice. That said I always like to see how far I can push them. About 6-7 times a year I get a chance to stretch things out. 90gn Berger VLD's have gotten me to 1200yds, 70-85gn bullets get me to 600 - 900yds+, and 55-65gn bullets are for anything under 600yds

As for bolt rifles the only one that sees more rounds than this 223 (background) is a 22LR (foreground)

Tzn0r0g.jpg

Think a 26" 1:7 Will stabilize the 95gr smk?[/QUOTE]

I can't say for certain but I don't think I'd chance it when Sierra is recommending a 1:6.5. Something faster would probably get it done with a 7 but I'd have my doubts with a 223. A really good indicator is the people having trouble with the 90's in cold weather with 1:7 Valkyries.

Actually just picked up a ruger precision in 223 for some fun plinking. I’m looking forward to testing it out.