• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Do you sound like a fool?

mrjimsfc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Centerville, Utah
The other day I was watching a show about modern weapons used by snipers and couldn't believe what these "professionals" said! They were talking about the .338 "la-POO-a" (misspelled for emphasis) magnum. Everyone in Finland must go into paroxysms of laughter every time they hear an American talk about their "Say-ko" rifle or their .338 la-POO-a magnum. In Finland the emphasis (on Finnish words) is ALWAYS on the first syllable! Thus, a Finn would say what sounds to us like LAW-poo-a and SAW-ko. Now that you actually know how to pronounce the words correctly (sort of) you'll be able to spot those who are pretending to be experts a lot more quickly.

Re: Do you sound like a fool?

Fuck your "lah-poo-ehh".

There are plenty of us that know all the hell about whatever we're discussing, but we don't give a shit how some foreigner in Europe garbles it out of his mouth.

Go up to the most authoritative "professional" American firearms experts and ask them about the Krag Jorgensen rifle, and tell him he's a fool because he doesn't ditz around with the words like a Norwegian and call it a Kra<span style="color: #FF0000">h</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">Y</span>ørgens<span style="color: #FF0000">o</span>n.

We have a pompous local dealer that likes to make corrections such as these, to include Horna-DAY bullets and some jacked up variant of Loop-old scopes.
I carry my American/east Texan speaking ass right down the road where they keep la-poo-a brass, horna-dee boolits, lee-a-pold scopes, and say-co rifles.
Guess Ima keep on being a fool.

In communist china, it’s pronounced Ra-Poo-Ah.

LAW-poo-a and SAW-ko, will add to my vocab so i can sound more sufisticated, sifistticated, sufisttikated,,,, smarter
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mis-guided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry my American/east Texan speaking ass right down the road where they keep la-poo-a brass, horna-dee boolits, lee-a-pold scopes, and say-co rifles.
</div></div>
Is that the same place that has "Se habla ingles" on the door? You're right! They don't know the difference anyway.
Butthead.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mis-guided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry my American/east Texan speaking ass right down the road where they keep la-poo-a brass, horna-dee boolits, lee-a-pold scopes, and say-co rifles.
</div></div>
Is that the same place that has "Se habla ingles" on the door? You're right! They don't know the difference anyway.
Butthead.jpg
</div></div>
Yes sir! That's the one! It's where we actually buy the stuff, roll our own and send em down range. Way better than watching it on tv. You should try it sometime.

So I'm a fool for pronouncing a word the only way I have ever heard it? I don't do research on every word I use to make sure I know the origin and pronunciation perfect according to a foreign language. I guess if that makes me a fool I will just have to live with knowing I have failed to live up to the standards of the internet guru's such as yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I sound like a fool?

Often.

So...? </div></div>

LOL, i love your humore G.L.

you have the best advice. it's always fatherly, honest and true. even if it makes you wince and want to stop reading.

If I walked into a shop and wanted to buy any of of these items and the shop owner tried to correct my pronunciation of it..I would say you sure do have a pretty mouth. I would stair at him for a second and than walk out.

you know what I'm talking about don't act like an ass!

my pet peeve is people that don't have any thing better to do than correct the way that people speak

any one of those professorial can probably hand you your ass at the range with that rifle. What are you going to say?

Well its not fair he does not pronounce it rite so it does not cont.. hes not playing rite!!!!

what ever!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I sound like a fool?

Often.

So...? </div></div>

LOL, i love your humore G.L.

you have the best advice. it's always fatherly, honest and true. even if it makes you wince and want to stop reading. </div></div>

+1

I think it would take a LOT of confusion out of it, if we could hear how the word sounds, from the person that built/makes it.

For example. I am guilty of butchering the name of "Geissele triggers"...right up until I heard Mr Geissele speak his name from his mouth.
Now I know. I would have NEVER expected it to sound like "Guys-lee"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UO4_YOswsqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Professionally I am a headhunter (a recruiter) and I have over the more than two decades I have been in business, spoken with people from all over the world. And I should think that to no one’s surprise, pronunciations vary widely depending regional dialects and on whether a particular language is what you were raised speaking. For example my West Virginia born mother eats “chill-ay dawgs”. I was raised in St. Louis and my plate would have a “chill-ee dog” on it. And my Austrian born grandmother forever pronounced my name as “Dugk”. But we all understood each other just fine. And that’s pretty much the point of verbal communications.

My personal pet peeve is when someone tries to write down what’s on the menu and I see that they are going to have a “chilly” dog.

Isnt this why the expression "shut up and shoot" was coined?

Lol.....

Lots of names are butchered, even good old American names like...
LEE-oh-pold

Actually said as LOO-pold.

would you say almond or amond. Its really depends. After you shake the LLL out of it amond would be right.

I speak Greglish. Most folks manage to get my meaning. I figure that's a good start.

Greg

sure, it just sounds goofy, they even index/describe it as a muzzle break on their site

Picky?
Yeah. But I'm on this sight to learn, and I appreciate the correction. Bianchi, Geissele, and Leupold, I knew. Sako and Lapua, I didn't. Is Koch like Coke? German II was 38 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently there are a lot of potato farmers out there that aren't expert potato farmers.

</div></div>

ummmmm. Its puh-TAW-tow.

Never did get the point of putting someone else down over the way they pronounce a word or misuse a word in a sentence. The stream behind my house is a crick, could be a stream or run or maybe even a creek but around here it's a crick. And it's not very fer away.

Same with clips or magazine, I could care less what they call it. I know what they mean and as long as they are pro gun and shooting safely it don't matter what they call it.

If you say you have a Kelbly and someone tells me you have a Kelby I still know what you have big dollar gun with either a Stolle or a Stolie or Stoly or however you wish it to be pronounced action.

We do use Horna-day bullets and shoot against shooters using their Sako guns made by the watch company with Loop-Old scopes using La-POO-ah brass with hodge-dun powder in their clips being shot thru their Li-Ja barrels.

Even after all the posts on this I don't feel any dumber, just a lot happier that I'm able to hang around with a bunch of good ole boys that could care less about how we all talk to each other.

Guess I never had to worry about whether I pronounced something correctly since the ones I run with accept me for who I am and vice-a-versa. Don't care if others understand how we all do it as long as it's understood by us. Yeah Jed, ya hit about a plate high and half a plate left that time, bang ........ "RING" good call Mel, thanks. Now do it again.

Amusing to poke fun of others and think them the fool about things like this but I'm sure each of us have looked the fool to others when we run our mouths on a topic we're less educated about than the ones we're talking to.

Come to think of it, yeah I probably look like a fool sometimes but really don't care what others think.

Topstrap

Who cares how its pronounced? We know what they are talking about.

If you've never heard the word before and someone told you la-poo-a and that's how you pronounced it, your no fool.

If you're someone who actually cares that each word is pronounced exactly as it should be from the originating country, you're way beyond being a fool. You have other, much bigger, problems in your life.

Even if it remotely mattered......which it doesn't. But if it did!!!!
Just on the remotest possibility that it did, what in the sam hell does the pronunciation of a word have to do with fieldcraft?
If you say it right, is your camo n concealment that much better?
Will your wind reading skills improve?
Is a bad guy gonna call a time out and say"Hey mr! You can't shoot me with that! It's pronounced (insert properly pronounced word here)!!"

Does anyone make a range data card with all the correct pronunciations on it so I don't make an asshole out of myself the next time I'm at the range or in a gun store with some self righteous jack-offs?

I may not know how to pronounce it but sure do love their brass and I feel that they don't care how I pronounce it as long as I pay for it - LA-POO-AH.

Reactions: Milf Dots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never did get the point of putting someone else down over the way they pronounce a word or misuse a word in a sentence. The stream behind my house is a crick, could be a stream or run or maybe even a creek but around here it's a crick. And it's not very fer away.

Same with clips or magazine, I could care less what they call it. I know what they mean and as long as they are pro gun and shooting safely it don't matter what they call it.

If you say you have a Kelbly and someone tells me you have a Kelby I still know what you have big dollar gun with either a Stolle or a Stolie or Stoly or however you wish it to be pronounced action.

We do use Horna-day bullets and shoot against shooters using their Sako guns made by the watch company with Loop-Old scopes using La-POO-ah brass with hodge-dun powder in their clips being shot thru their Li-Ja barrels.

Even after all the posts on this I don't feel any dumber, just a lot happier that I'm able to hang around with a bunch of good ole boys that could care less about how we all talk to each other.

Guess I never had to worry about whether I pronounced something correctly since the ones I run with accept me for who I am and vice-a-versa. Don't care if others understand how we all do it as long as it's understood by us. Yeah Jed, ya hit about a plate high and half a plate left that time, bang ........ "RING" good call Mel, thanks. Now do it again.

Amusing to poke fun of others and think them the fool about things like this but I'm sure each of us have looked the fool to others when we run our mouths on a topic we're less educated about than the ones we're talking to.

Come to think of it, yeah I probably look like a fool sometimes but really don't care what others think.

Topstrap

</div></div>

+1 One of the great things about this wonderful country we live in is all the different dialects spoken here. We poke fun at each other about the way we speak but we're still able to communicate and 99.9% of us don't care if you pronounce something incorrectly. I grew up in Louisiana and talk about some dialect. Whew. But we all know what each other was saying. And we still had/have a great time. Keep speaking like "fools" guys. I will never correct you!

To my ears, the only ones sounding foolish are the ones trying to be pseudo-linguists, putting down the pronunciation of others. I don’t think that is the intended type of “sniping”, this site is dedicated to. If that is your thing, here is a site that would be better suited for you.

Forum for Word Geeks

Otherwise, get off your condescending, pompous, high horse, and go out and shoot. Talk about that and you will sound less like a fool to those on this site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To my ears, the only ones sounding foolish are the ones trying to be pseudo-linguists, putting down the pronunciation of others. I don’t think that is the intended type of “sniping”, this site is dedicated to. If that is your thing, here is a site that would be better suited for you.

Forum for Word Geeks

Otherwise, get off your condescending, pompous, high horse, and go out and shoot. Talk about that and you will sound less like a fool to those on this site.
</div></div>

Skrate up.

Most people I meet and others around me agree that they find it nice, polite and a show of great concern by a new/third party to pronunce there name right/proper.

I am sure that I am guilty of misspronouncing and missspelling word to, including names however I do care about this and I think that others should to.

Not because some one else told them they should but because it is a show of respect for the other, be it a company, person, or something else.

But still that is just my take on the matter. /Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I walked into a shop and wanted to buy any of of these items and the shop owner tried to correct my pronunciation of it..I would say you sure do have a pretty mouth. I would stair at him for a second and than walk out.

my pet peeve is people that don't have any thing better to do than correct the way that people speak

any one of those professorial can probably hand you your ass at the range with that rifle. What are you going to say?

Well its not fair he does not pronounce it rite so it does not cont.. hes not playing rite!!!!

what ever! </div></div>

- Then not than - Than is a comparison of two things.
- Right not rite - right as in correct.
- Cont I'll excuse as a typo for count.
- He's not hes. It's a contraction of he is.

Whatever is one word. And when used as an exclamation the "W" should be capitalized.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I walked into a shop and wanted to buy any of of these items and the shop owner tried to correct my pronunciation of it..I would say you sure do have a pretty mouth. I would stair at him for a second and than walk out.

what ever! </div></div>

- Then not than - Than is a comparison of two things.
- Right not rite - right as in correct.
- Cont I'll excuse as a typo for count.
- He's not hes. It's a contraction of he is.

Whatever is one word. And when used as an exclamation the "W" should be capitalized.

grin.gif
</div></div>

- Stare not stair

I mispronounce words all the time. :>)

Fellow in the gun store told me it was "La-Pow". Maybe he'll read this.

Eh, it is what it is. Even within our own country words are pronounced differently based on the geography.

I never knew the correct pronunciation for Sako until I made friends with a very accomplished Finnish shooter who used to work in their factory. I asked him, and he told me the correct way to say it. He also wasn't offended that I was mispronouncing the word in the past.

Surely there are words in the English language that he doesn't pronounce the same way I do.