• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don't know what to do.. Keep or sale GAP 6 Creedmor

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
Recently I got a 6 Creedmor as payment for some work I did. Here's the specs

GA Precision Templar VII action
Bartlein 5R 1-7.75 twist GAP #7 Contour (m24) 26"; Threaded 5/8x24, Badger Thruster brake turned down to muzzle diameter with blended seam
Manners T2 Adj. Carbon Fiber mix
Badger M5 bottom metal/DBM
Jewel HVR trigger
Metal Cerakoted in Mil Spec OD Green

Rifle was broken in exactly as directed per GAP's written instructions.
Round Count - including break-in, 94 rounds have been fired

Now , while I've had a .308 and presently have a 6.5 ( both crusaders) , I've never been in the 6 mm game. I know what they can do as I've seen my buddy just last week smoking targets at 1330 yards with the EXACT SAME RIFLE. I can't decide if I want to sell it , trade it , or keep it. I don't like the fact that brass is a booger to get and I'm set up for 6.5's and .30 cals.
I would like to stay with the current type calibers I'm shooting now which are .300 win mags set up for ELR, a GAP 6.5 creedmor , and a bunch of .308 customs.
What would you guys do if you were in my shoes ???

if I were in your shoes, I would quit whinning about having too many GAP and go shoot them :p

I totally get staying with what you're set up for...but GAP has proper headstamped 6mm Creedmoor brass:

GA Gear - Miscellaneous

Ok. Thanks. Didn't know that. I appreciate it. What about dies?? I called Redding yesterday and the gentlemen said that he has no plans to start making them. I think I saw where Whidden is making them ??

Ok. Thanks. Didn't know that. I appreciate it. What about dies?? I called Redding yesterday and the gentlemen said that he has no plans to start making them. I think I saw where Whidden is making them ??

I got all my brass and dies from GAP, the 6 creedmoor is just great, try it bud.
cheers

Sell it and buy ammo for your other GAP rifles. Especially if you like the calibers you have already.

Seems to me if you already have a couple great rifles, and in the calibers you like, I think if it was me I would turn this one into cash and up-grade the glass. A shinny new SB or the like would be nice!!!

Call GAP and order some brass. Get a $40 set of dies from Hornady. Prime the brass dump 42gr of H4350 in it and stuff a 105 hybrid in there. Repeat. Then enjoy a flatter cartridge than your 6.5 that gives up nothing in the wind, recoils less, and is cheaper to shoot. It will be a hammer and if you still don't like it, sell it and all the components left for almost no loss.

I got some 6CM dies from Whidden, and am very happy. I personally love the 6 Creedmoor, and the specs on your rifle are right on...I'd sell one of your 308's...

If you already have 6.5 then why? For a very slight advantage that is negligible to most? Sell it and get something you don't have or something you want for fun.

If you already don't have a high end gasser.....they are fun (and expensive to feed)........but fun none the less.

Just my two cents, but here's how my thought process would work.

1) If I need the money, sell it.
2) just me and don't want to get into a new caliber, sell it
3) just me with my normal thought process, keep it.
4) me and wife girlfriend/wife or kids that like to shoot, keep it.

I'll expand on 3 & 4 a little.
Option three is where I'd likely be unless I really needed the cash. I like to tinker with rifles so getting into a new caliber/cartidge is fun for me. I'm also intrigued with the 6 creedmoor as it is. Also, you've got what appears to be a great rifle.

4) My girlfriend loves to shoot with me, but she is pretty sensitive to recoil. When we go out and shoot, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure she enjoys the hell out of it so she keeps wanting to go. I have some pretty light recoiling rifles, but none have 6 creedmoor performance. If that helps her have more fun by getting more hits, I'd be all over that like white on rice.

Buy 200 pieces of brass from GAP, and if you load them moderately and anneal you will probably have enough for the life of the barrel.

I bought the dies through GAP too, but I believe you could use a Redding bushing die in 6.5 Creed, and change out the bushings for the 6mm.

you guys are missing the point, this is not about the 6MM having an advantage over the 6.5. The point is shoot the 6 while the 6.5 barrel is cooling off then keep rotating.
cheers.

Last edited:
I don't like selling rifles, I like shoot them. Every time I sell a shooter, thinking i don't need it, I regret it. But it is just me!
+1 leadbullet

Last edited:
you guys are missing the point, this is not about the 6MM having an advantage over the 6.5. The point is shoot the 6 while the 6.5 barrel is cooling off then keep rotating.
cheers.

This is what I do but with the insignificant little 6xc and out dated 260... LOL

Much obliged to all you guys for your input. I'm gonna hold onto it. I like the idea of the wife and kid having a fun rifle that shoots like a laser beam w/o recoil. May save it for my little man to shoot when he gets older. Daddy already has enough toys

Glad your keeping it. I'm running the same rifle at a LR school as I type. Great caliber - great rifle! The 6 Creed has been easy to load for and I'm new to LR reloading. As one of the instructors here suggested- I could send rifle back to GAP for a switch bbl. Not hard to switch bbls from what was explained. Now for little money you could have more cal options. Only downside to cal has been spotting hit/miss @ 800+. Been awesome so far. Enjoy it.

Glad your keeping it. I'm running the same rifle at a LR school as I type. Great caliber - great rifle! The 6 Creed has been easy to load for and I'm new to LR reloading. As one of the instructors here suggested- I could send rifle back to GAP for a switch bbl. Not hard to switch bbls from what was explained. Now for little money you could have more cal options. Only downside to cal has been spotting hit/miss @ 800+. Been awesome so far. Enjoy it.

Are you shooting hand loads or Copper Creek?? Also , in my 6.5 creedmor GAP, it LOVES jumping the hybrid and vld.... Have you done any playing around with seating depths ??

Never mind saw your hand loading. What's your thoughts on the OAL?? I'm assuming your running the 105 hybrid??

How many is a "bunch of 308 customs"? If it's more than two I'd sell one of those. I'm a fan of 308 but you only need so many of the same caliber.

Well I took 2 shots to get it zeroed and then shot 4 at 110 yards. I was shooting copper creek 105 hybrids but I used a vld micrometer add on that's on my 6.5 die and seated them 20/1000's deeper. 2.195 to ogive. Here's the result. :). I'd say I have a shooter...

cheers.

Funny you say that. I am actually having a 6mm Creed built by GAP just for that purpose. I want two guns to shoot while the other cools. Both will be set up similarly too. In my case I will have a 6 Creed and a 6.5x55 though. Been forcing a 243 to be my #2, but the throat is about done and it is struggling to keep up.

Can't wait to get my 6 Creed from GAP after seeing those bullet holes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many is a "bunch of 308 customs"? If it's more than two I'd sell one of those. I'm a fan of 308 but you only need so many of the same caliber.

Well I've got one with a 28" bartlein on a Stiller Tac 30 in an AICS. Shooting the 185 juggernaut.
It's WAY TOO HEAVY to hunt with. But it's purpose is 1,000 yard shooting.

Got an ARMALITE AR10 set up for my ATN PS22 NV to shoot hogs.
And I've got a AAC SD in a Bell&Carlson with a 40x trigger set up with a Zeiss mc conquest 4.5x14x50 for woods hunting. As a field gun I have the SPS Tac 1:12. So every one of them serves a purpose and I'm a firm believer that a .308 will keep your shooting skills sharp, is cost effective, and bbl life is a long time.

Well I took 2 shots to get it zeroed and then shot 4 at 110 yards. I was shooting copper creek 105 hybrids but I used a vld micrometer add on that's on my 6.5 die and seated them 20/1000's deeper. 2.195 to ogive. Here's the result. :). I'd say I have a shooter...

Well, if that doesn't convince you to keep it then I don't know what will.

Nice shooting!

Don't know what to do.. Keep or sale GAP 6 Creedmor

Keep it

Last edited:
I wish I could dial in my load in my gap hospitaller to shoot like this

Are you shooting hand loads or Copper Creek?? Also , in my 6.5 creedmor GAP, it LOVES jumping the hybrid and vld.... Have you done any playing around with seating depths ??

I'm hand loading. I did buy some CC to get me going. It shot well, but my load shot better. I'm running 42gr of H4350 w/ Berger 105 hybrid, CCI 200 LRP. 3.155 Ogive (tried 5 thou longer, but gun liked 3.155), 2.810 oal (this varries based on meplat....don't try and chase the OAL like I did. Frustrating :mad:. Just measure Ogive to be consistent.) This is giving me 3065fps with great accuracy. I'm new to LR reloading and found it pretty straight forward with George's suggestios. New 6 Creed brass from GAP- Deburr flash hole, chamfer case mouth, prime, powder, bullet, shoot.....I'm not resizing the case mouth on the new brass. Had a first round cold bore hit this morning at 1050 yards and I cleaned the qual course at the end of the course. Love this rifle and caliber!! Oh, using Hornady dies from GAP. Added the Hornady micro seater stem to bullet seating die. Everything seems to work :D. Hope this helps. Nick-

Do tell where this advantage in 6mm lies over the 6.5 running a 140hybrid. I just don't see it unless you're talking less recoil from those little bullets. A little flatter but no wind advantage and 300ft lb less energy at 1k

Do tell where this advantage in 6mm lies over the 6.5 running a 140hybrid. I just don't see it unless you're talking less recoil from those little bullets. A little flatter but no wind advantage and 300ft lb less energy at 1k

Here's a comparison with a 10 mph wind at 3 o'clock

So like you said @ killswitch engage , there is really no difference in wind bucking , it's just flatter.

I wish I could dial in my load in my gap hospitaller to shoot like this

How long are you loading them ?? There's one thing I've noticed with every GAP I've owned. They all like jumping the vlds. My 6.5 creedmor loads with the 140 vld are 2.795 COAL average. It seems like the shorter I seat em , the better they shoot. That's EXACTLY why I seated the 105's 20/1000"s deeper on the copper creek ammo. Try jumping the hell out of them. You may very well be surprised.

How long are you loading them ?? There's one thing I've noticed with every GAP I've owned. They all like jumping the vlds. My 6.5 creedmor loads with the 140 vld are 2.795 COAL average. It seems like the shorter I seat em , the better they shoot. That's EXACTLY why I seated the 105's 20/1000"s deeper on the copper creek ammo. Try jumping the hell out of them. You may very well be surprised.

My hospitaller is chambered in .308 it's does seem to group better at .010 off the lands or more. Anything closer than .010 the group starts to spread.

Yep- My GAP 6 creed likes 20-25 thou of jump just as been said here by others.

Much obliged to all you guys for your input. I'm gonna hold onto it. I like the idea of the wife and kid having a fun rifle that shoots like a laser beam w/o recoil. May save it for my little man to shoot when he gets older. Daddy already has enough toys

That right, stay on the good side of the wife, nice play.

I'd have kept that thing too! Awesome rifle - V2 action, elite carbon camo stock, crazy accurate, etc, etc. What's not to like? Congrats on the new addition to the fam.

you measured something wrong lol