• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DONT USE E-15 GASOLINE !!!

Re: DONT USE E-15 GASOLINE !!!

Yep, this stuff is hell on fuel system components. The best part is that the many tree-huggers among us will use it and then wonder why their having to replace gaskets/pumps/fuel-line/etc. all the time.

The fuel sold around here is 'up to 10%' ethanol and is very hard on small engines. It also goes bad very quickly. I have a couple chainsaws and a fourwheeler that need the carbs taken apart and cleaned due to the ethanol in the fuel. IMHO, ethanol is for drinking*, not burning as fuel.
smile.gif

* I mean corn liquor. If you drink 'ethanol fuel', you deserve whatever happens...

My F150 is a flex fuel truck. With proper fuel, I get about 15-16mpg. The one time I used E85, got 9.6mpg. I hate ethanol in fuel.

I used 10% ethanol in my push mower for a year. Now I have to tear down and clean it because I was too cheap to buy the stabilizer or high grade (no ethanol) gas. Never again.

I understand the desire to have a renewable energy source, but there just are no cost savings when you lose 30-40% and the gas is only 10% cheaper. That isn't even taking increased wear/tear into consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My apologies if this has already been posted. I work at a GM Subaru dealership and we have already been seeing repair work as a result of E-15 fuel. The Gov sure is pushing and subsidizing companies to produce it but failed to adequately test it.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/

Kirk R </div></div>

Thanks for posting this.

thanks for the info, and will someone please fill that blonde's mouth with something to shut her the-hell-up, so that the important info can be heard?

Holy-crap, blah-blah-blah-blah.

Thanks for the good info guys. I get the strong urge to finding a alternative fuel source other than oil, but at what cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My F150 is a flex fuel truck. With proper fuel, I get about 15-16mpg. </div></div>
Damn,and I thought the milage in my 93 Dodge diesel 4x4 dually sucked. Been getting 15mpg with in town back and forth to work. Ouch.

Ethanol is not about cost savings. Ethanol cost you money. There is not a single Oil company that would bother dicking with ethanol if it weren't for government subsidies. To refine ethanol your in a deficit to begin with. Think 3 gallons of fuel to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. Ethanol also attracts, collects, and mixes with water. Ethanol is extremely hard on gaskets, seals, and o-rings. There is only one type of material made that lasts against ethanol and the name escapes me right now. However it's like $700 for a 6" o-ring. Ethanol burns slightly cleaner(hotter) and is used as a additive booster.

i thought subarus, at least the WRX and STI, required high grade fuel anyway? it felt good going from my 350Z requiring premium to my jeep that does not, but i think i will start feeding it the good stuff after reading this

i like the black haired lady. she knows what she is talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt this the same as E85? </div></div>

No.

E85 - nominally 85% ethanol (actually a bit less, since the ethanol is already denatured with something like 4% gasoline). Only suitable for vehicles designed to run on it.

E15 - nominally 15% ethanol. Being pushed for use in modern non-flexfuel vehicles as a way to get past the so-called "blend wall".

More reading on the topic:

http://www.agmrc.org/renewable_energy/bi...nt-projections/

We run E85 in high compression race motors. We are getting no detonation, cooler temps, more consistent ETs. We do double check gas/ethanol ratio with a hydrometer with each 55gal fillup.

Nothing like buying "race fuel" at the pump for cheaper than regular unleaded.

Currently running a sbc 377 with 13.8:1 static compression.

Ern

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We run E85 in high compression race motors. We are getting no detonation, cooler temps, more consistent ETs. We do double check gas/ethanol ratio with a hydrometer with each 55gal fillup.

Ern </div></div>

'but your average car engine is 8.5:1 and isn't built to run on alcohol and the average person doesn't understand the all too significant differences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We run E85 in high compression race motors. We are getting no detonation, cooler temps, more consistent ETs. We do double check gas/ethanol ratio with a hydrometer with each 55gal fillup.

Ern </div></div>

But why don't you tell them that you are using at least twice as much as using regular 115. So the cost evens out.

dont like ethanol but it keeps me working. 9000 tons of the stuff, 1-2 times per week. curiosity got the best of me. 2.4 million gallons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomme boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We run E85 in high compression race motors. We are getting no detonation, cooler temps, more consistent ETs. We do double check gas/ethanol ratio with a hydrometer with each 55gal fillup.

Ern </div></div>

But why don't you tell them that you are using at least twice as much as using regular 115. So the cost evens out. </div></div>

except for the fact that the E85 will make a bit more power so not exactly a wash.

yup...put E10 in my 88 Bronco after buying it for a few weeks...then my EGR started going bad....needless to say I've switched to regular...

Another tech her telling you to stay away from "E" On older vehicles it will turn butyl rubber to mush. When it first came out years ago we started to see a huge amount of fires related to fuel lines failing. It is corrosive and will wash the insulation off the windings in fuel injectors of older vehicles.

My 2012 Silverado has the flex fuel 5.3. We get the up to 10% percent stuff here, very hard to find none ethanol fuel. Though since I'm running a turbocharger and methanol injection it helps a bit too.

For the products my former company made, we switched to nitrile gaskets, O-rings for all fuel applications. xray9