• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing don't want a surgeon DBM what are my options

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
my stock is inletted for a surgeon bottom metal but I cant justify paying 350.00 for it especially when PTG had a badger pattern for 100.00 so what are my options

The bottom metal that Defiance made (Black Ops pattern) will fit and have no gaps if its short action. Long action will have large gaps on the sides and so will any other brand DMB. You may need to make minor fitting adj on the rounded ends of the stock inlet.

I have NEVER heard someone say or post they were in any way unhappy with their Surgeon bottom metal. I like the ptg unit...but will never use anything other than a Surgeon for any 700 build.

I have NEVER heard someone say or post they were in any way unhappy with their Surgeon bottom metal. I like the ptg unit...but will never use anything other than a Surgeon for any 700 build.

What I read on the top of the thread was someone asking for a less expensive option besides the Surgeon, not that he was unhappy.

I own a rifle with a Surgeon DBM and it works great. I also just bought a PTG DBM for $75.00 last weekend. Works great too. Looks just as good. Doesn't have "SR" on the bottom of the trigger guard. But now I have another two AI mags because I basically got the same thing from the same guy that makes the expensive one for 200 bucks cheaper.

I don't know it it will fit a Surgeon inlet, but, I just got the PTG bottom metal and it's of surprising quality.

I know you say you can't justify it but Surgeon DBM were made specifically for a lot of reasons. They are better then PTG and Badger, quality is top notch as well. IMHO all that justifies the price for me. Good luck with the search and I hope you find something that fits your needs.