• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Doubts about hornady 110 no more

yotechsr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2008
beyond
Not too long ago I was reading a thread on here about the Hornady tap 110 gr fpd 308 and how well it shot. Local dealer had a couple of boxes so I gave it a go. It was shooting about three inches higher at 100 than the 175 bh that I am dialed in for but I went ahead and let it group without adjustments. One tiny hole hole was the outcome! Let me know how these have shot for you 200 and beyond, wind etc.

Re: Doubts about hornady 110 no more

We have been shooting them as a team now for a couple of years. They are more sensitive to wind, but shoot very flat. Most of our team rifles are 1/12 factory long throat barrels with lots of throat wear so we get flyers occasionally. The groups without flyers can be pretty impressive, my state rifle which is an HS precision has shot quite a few 3 shot groups at 200 that were less than half inch from outside to outside edge.

At 300 they are starting to shoot closer to 1 to 1.5 inches in the good rifles, and 3 or a little less in the worn rifles. I have gotten a few at 300 that were less than an inch, and think a better shooter than me could probably get tighter average groups at that distance.

I have had a rifle put together by Predator Custom Shop in Tn. to test a chamber with the throat matched to this round, and a slower twist to see what the differences would be in weather, and distance as far as the adjustments needed to compensate. I also think it will probably shoot tighter out past 300. I'm going to try it out to 500 to get all the data I can.

I just got it and was able to get about 30 rounds through it, and so far it works like I hoped it would. I will chime back in over the next few months to share the data in case anyone is interested. Because this is a duty round I am trying to perfect the package we shoot it out of. I think it is important to note though that as you found it is very shooter friendly for factory or custom rifles with generic chambers and faster twists.

The 110 VMax shoots well in my 30-06.

At 26", 3750 fps. After cutting the bbl to 22.5", 3570 fps.

Img_5159-1.jpg

I took the new rifle from predator out today and shot some more 110 TAP at 200 yards. The results were very good, first group was 5/8" for three shots ( I only had 20 rounds with me so five shot groups would significantly cut down what I could do) second group measured 1/2". I had three clicks less come ups than usual for this distance, even though the barrel is four inches shorter. I don't know if this is because it's a better barrel (rock) or that and the slower twist(1/17).

I was sick so didn't have the energy to try 300, 400, and 500 am hoping to get that done next friday. I also didn't have to deal with any wind so no data on that. I did screw up two groups while trying to get my position solid and the biggest was 2 inches, and the next was 1.5 inches. This was using the 10x leupold that we use and it was covering my aiming point so for me I consider this good shooting. My duty rifle is capable of this performance with this ammo, but it is in an AICS, and has a 20x leupold so I can see significantly better with it. I will be putting similar equipment on the new test rifle in a couple of months and see what I can do.

By the way I don't mean to highjack the thread, I thought this might be pertinent to the accuracy potential of this ammo. I will start a new thread though in the future for the rifle and ammo.