• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Drop leg holsters for HK 45, VP9

rady

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2020
Somewhat new to SH, so I hope this is in the right forum.

I've been trying to find a drop leg holster for HK 45 and VP9, both with rmr red dots. Not having much luck in my searches so I'm hoping some of you might be able to help in finding a vendor. Any help would be greatly appreciated..........................

I have one I haven’t used for HK45. Willing to part with it cheap. Send me a PM.

I have been looking for a drop leg holster for an HK45c for years, not found one yet. So, I'm interested as well.

The best bet is a modular system. I forget what its called, safariland qls or some such. It's a polymer bracket that lets you QD your holster onto different mounts.

So buy whatever custom kydex holster you want with qls, then get a drop leg rig that can mount the female plate. Then get whatever other holsters for other guns you want that are qls compatible.

This way you have one rig, one belt, all that, and just pop on whatever holster you need for the gun your are running

Love the GCode offerings.

Not drop leg but low enough to get below anything worn on your upper body.

New RTI wheels come with a nut strap.

Buy a Safariland holster than get the GCode adaptor.

1607514337015.png

And loctite your screws.

Last edited:
The bail on my older g code wasn’t that reliable flipping down, prefer the safariland als by far although g code has probably improved in the meantime.

Thanks to all for your replies. I went to utube (which I hate to do these days) and came across Cook's holsters and Alien gear thanks to Boltyboi. The als system seems to be a great idea, so I'm thinking that a Cooks holster will accommodate the als.

I'll call these outfits tomorrow to get details, then let you know what happens.

Do any of you have experience with either of these holster platforms?

Reactions: Boltyboi
I have a bunch of Alien Gear stuff and all of it is top end.

They make shells for the HK 45 and VP9 and it's modular. I have 3 of their holsters (not drop leg) for chest carry and open carry with a couple of shells for various guns and it all works just fine. No problems.

VooDoo

I looked at Aliengear and drop leg seems to have a problem with staying in place and not covering the mag release. Reviews on their website confirmed this. It is a good looking rig.

I spoke with Cook's holsters and was impressed with how they work with the customer on customizing the holsters. They work with red dots, have an amazing amount of color/camo configurations, level 2 retention that hopefully will work with the red dot, adjustments for qls system, and custom kydex thicknesses (3). The only thing I was disappointed in was that the 0.090 kydex was only available in black.

It all sounds good for now, but I'll see if they walk the walk as they talk the talk. Once I receive them, I'll let you know how they perform and look. They have good reviews on the stinkin' fb.

The one downside I see is the long 6-8 week wait.

Reactions: Marbles
Only have advice on VP9, but this is my setup. Safariland Ubl mid ride (modded to fit my belt) with a safariland ALS holster. Low enough and slightly canted outward, but tight enough to not flip around. The retention is excellent and almost as fast as non retention kydex.
B8433548-06AD-4D87-8CBC-963D5FE37753.jpeg

Only have advice on VP9, but this is my setup. Safariland Ubl mid ride (modded to fit my belt) with a safariland ALS holster. Low enough and slightly canted outward, but tight enough to not flip around. The retention is excellent and almost as fast as non retention kydex. View attachment 7495983
That's a nice looking rig. Does the holster accommodate a red dot? I've never seen a battle belt like that.

Thanks. The belt and pad are wilder tactical, great stuff, even better customer service. It’s not a huge pad. Made to fit a 1.5 belt.

This holster particular holster does not work with a rds, but safariland and g code do have retention holsters for red dots. This is the 7TS.

Also look into the comp-tac international. Kind of a do it all kit. It takes RDS. Here’s the link.

Thanks. The belt and pad are wilder tactical, great stuff, even better customer service. It’s not a huge pad. Made to fit a 1.5 belt.

This holster particular holster does not work with a rds, but safariland and g code do have retention holsters for red dots. This is the 7TS.

Also look into the comp-tac international. Kind of a do it all kit. It takes RDS. Here’s the link.
This is one of the great things here on SH. You gain insight to all of these different manufacturer's that are out there and not aware of.
Thanks for your responses.

Reactions: SamsonSimpson
I run a True North Concepts Modular Holster Adapter with their leg strap and use holsters that work with Safariland's QLS system. Red Hill Tactical makes custom level 2 retention holsters with a optics cut.

Two other sources that look good for those that are looking for optics compatible holsters.
I don't understand why Safariland hasn't gone into this niche, since r.d.s seems to be gaining in popularity. They make some great holsters that stand the test of time.

Two other sources that look good for those that are looking for optics compatible holsters.
I don't understand why Safariland hasn't gone into this niche, since r.d.s seems to be gaining in popularity. They make some great holsters that stand the test of time.

I think a lot of it has to do with their als retention system. Their 6390 holster is RDS capable, but then again, the aftermarket support for hk holsters is largely lacking, especially for battle/duty purposes. If you had a Glock 17 on the other hand haha...

If you don’t need retention, basically any reputable kydex holster mfg could fit the bill, although there are ten rds options from safariland.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it has to do with their als retention system. Their 6390 holster is RDS capable, but then again, the aftermarket support for hk holsters is largely lacking, especially for battle/duty purposes. If you had a Glock 17 on the other hand haha...

If you don’t need retention, basically any reputable kydex holster mfg could fit the bill, although there are ten rds options from safariland.
Glock? They used to make a good pistol, but now they are just junk as far as I'm concerned............They're the reason I went with HK. Just my 2.

I would like to have a retention system, as a lot of times I'm in the woods getting snarled in branches/briars.

I really do have to agree with you that the choices for HK are rather limited when it comes to holsters.

Glock? They used to make a good pistol, but now they are just junk as far as I'm concerned............They're the reason I went with HK. Just my 2.

I would like to have a retention system, as a lot of times I'm in the woods getting snarled in branches/briars.

I really do have to agree with you that the choices for HK are rather limited when it comes to holsters.

Glock vs HK aside, I was just saying that that the options for Glock are seemingly endless as opposed to HK. Thankfully the VP9 changed that a little.

I understand RoughRide and my comments weren't meant to be contentious or directed at you. I shot a .45 glock in the late 80's and they were very accurate. The ones that we purchased in 2015'ish were a real challenge to hit the target at 25 feet. Adjusting the sights just added to the frustration, so we took the loss and sold them in exchange for HK.
I gotta say that it was like the difference between day and night. A leo that the wife works with had the same experience with glock. Don't know what happened to the glock line, but we got tired of the kentucky windage having to be applied.

I love the wife's vp9. Fits like a glove and highly accurate with the r.d.s.

As you have stated, the glock line allows the user a lot of options for customization. Something that HK doesn't. If the glock works for others, more power to 'em

admittedly I like the 17 and the 19x a lot, but my VP9 is scary accurate and shoots great. I have Heinie sights and a lobos trigger on my vp9 and they really help it shine.
I think the VP9 is as good shooting as it is good looking. Sometimes those aren’t mutually exclusive. Lol

Reactions: rady

KT Mech out of Idaho. Link is to a VP 9 holster. A drop leg platform is also available. In my experience, just email them and lay out what you’re looking for, and they’ll get you set up.

[email protected]

admittedly I like the 17 and the 19x a lot, but my VP9 is scary accurate and shoots great. I have Heinie sights and a lobos trigger on my vp9 and they really help it shine.
I think the VP9 is as good shooting as it is good looking. Sometimes those aren’t mutually exclusive. Lol

Heinie straight eights make any handgun better.

Heinie straight eights make any handgun better.

they’re ok, I’ve had some issues with them locking in properly. The set screws are very small and the “smith” who installed them failed to use loctite apparently. I want to swap them out for trijicon HD’s.

they’re ok, I’ve had some issues with them locking in properly. The set screws are very small and the “smith” who installed them failed to use loctite apparently. I want to swap them out for trijicon HD’s.

That sucks. The dovetails on all 4 sets I have installed where always tight enough a file and sight pusher or punch and hammer where needed just to get them on the slide. I could pull the set screws out and have full confidence that they would not move. Can't say with any certainty as I did not handle yours, but it sounds like the smith might have removed too much material from the bottom of the sights. Nothing wrong with Trijicon's though.

That sucks. The dovetails on all 4 sets I have installed where always tight enough a file and sight pusher or punch and hammer where needed just to get them on the slide. I could pull the set screws out and have full confidence that they would not move. Can't say with any certainty as I did not handle yours, but it sounds like the smith might have removed too much material from the bottom of the sights. Nothing wrong with Trijicon's though.

My bad was getting the newer “ez-lock” style sight. They don’t take any filing to install. They slide in and out easy, but the smith was supposed to put a bit of loctite on the front sight to secure it. I knew I should have left when he took all the parts out and looked at them, then threw the rear locking bar back in the bag.... I was like “hey bro, you’re gonna need that!” He said oh yeah, well I’ve done a ton of these.

fortunately I was able to get everything right at home bud I was surprised to find my front and rear sights completely loose one day after just doing like 50 rounds.

Reactions: Marbles