• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drying brass in the oven...Yay or Nay?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
Am I just being paranoid or is it really dangerous to dry brass in the oven? I have Lapua .308 brass in the oven now, been there for 2 hours. I have a digital thermometer in there showing temperature at 125F. Brass is hot but I can still hold it bare handed without burning myself. Did I ruin this brass by making it brittle or is it ok?

Re: Drying brass in the oven...Yay or Nay?

Good to go, no primer low heat, you've got to get it up there before you can cause damage. 125F no problem.

GTG
i usually set the oven on its lowest setting 175deg for around 1 hour
thats all it usually takes

you live in TEXAS, why not use the Sun to dry your brass, god know it does't rain in San Antonio

Personally, I blow it out with air and let it dry over night. But that's me.

I've done it many times with no ill effects. I use ceramic media for my BPCR's and ultra sound for everything else so my cases are always wet from cleaning. However, at this time of the year where I live, the sun gets it done as fast and my bride doesn't look at me with "the look". <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Honestly, how many sheet pans does the redhead really need?</span></span>

It takes asbout 155 degrees F to drive loosely coupled water molecules off a surface. I put mine in at 200-225 degrees for 20 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you live in TEXAS, why not use the Sun to dry your brass, god know it does't rain in San Antonio </div></div>

Thanks to the hurricane, its has been raining at lot here, and with the humidity so high, they wont dry fast enough. Check out the forecast

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USTX1200

I wouldnt do it but thats just me.

If you control the time they are exposed and never let them heat to a critical stage then it should be fine.

I believe in maintaining good practices tho, just incase... You never know one day you may crank it not thinking, and then cause yourself a head ache in the future.

One thing I've noticed about conventional ovens is that the heating element will run at maximum (burners or coils) up until the metal interior reaches the selected temperature. This means that even if set at 150°F, the heating element will be at full blast up until the time the thermometer shuts it off which can be up to five minutes, and anything above it will consequently absorb this heat.

The best method would be to "pre-heat" the oven to say 150° - 200°, shut it completely off, then place the brass inside. The oven will retain sufficient heat to evaporate the water without fear of the heating element coming on.

Still, the best foolproof method is to put it ouside on a hot sunny day, although this is obviously not always possible.

Two hours to dry the brass seems a little excessive to me. Even with .223, it only takes me about 1/2 hour. Geographics (humidity) perhaps?