• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DT or AI for LE

There's no arguing that AI has a long and proven reliability track record. That said, the SRS has proven reliable for me. And, given that the AI is twice as expensive, you could get two SRSs and just bring both in case one goes down haha.

Where are you buying a SRS for half the price of an AT? Or even for less money?

Yeah he’s comparing the SRS to the AXMC

again there’s nothing wrong with a SRS. I’m more accurate with my SRS than I ever was with my AI or a R700 with a aics chassis but over the years, I’ve felt that the SRS is just not as rugged, especially the magazine and the mag well design. Remember, the magwell on a SRS is mostly 2 plastic skins bolted together, it could get loose over time and if left unchecked and cause the mag to drop due to recoil. It’s also a pain to single round feed and if you have huge humongous hands like I do, when you fire a magnum, the back of your hand will hit the magazine which is quite unpleasant.

Reactions: RRW
Yeah he’s comparing the SRS to the AXMC

again there’s nothing wrong with a SRS. I’m more accurate with my SRS than I ever was with my AI or a R700 with a aics chassis but over the years, I’ve felt that the SRS is just not as rugged, especially the magazine and the mag well design. Remember, the magwell on a SRS is mostly 2 plastic skins bolted together, it could get loose over time and if left unchecked and cause the mag to drop due to recoil. It’s also a pain to single round feed and if you have huge humongous hands like I do, when you fire a magnum, the back of your hand will hit the magazine which is quite unpleasant.

The cost difference is really deceptive as while the guns themselves are about twice the cost the barrels for the AXMC are about half the cost of the SRS. The AXMC is also much higher quality with much, much better magazines.

The cost difference is really deceptive as while the guns themselves are about twice the cost the barrels for the AXMC are about half the cost of the SRS. The AXMC is also much higher quality with much, much better magazines.
Buying a new barrel outright is more money for sure. You take the old barrel extension and reuse on new barrel, price is the same. And the barrel extension isn't really a wear item so it will last. Downside is off the shelf availability.

Completely agree on build quality and mag system. The SRS is screwed together with like 15 screws and nuts that look like they were bulk purchased at Home Depot.

Hi,

Question(s) for those that recommend the DTA for LE work gun....

What happens when A) Your right handed shooter is forced to shoot weak side?. B) You have a left handed sniper that draws the callout that day?

Can you seriously testify in court that you maintained visual confirmation of the hostage situation IF (Hoping you never do) you need to cycle the rifle for immediate follow up shot?

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Question(s) for those that recommend the DTA for LE work gun....

What happens when A) Your right handed shooter is forced to shoot weak side?. B) You have a left handed sniper that draws the callout that day?

Can you seriously testify in court that you maintained visual confirmation of the hostage situation IF (Hoping you never do) you need to cycle the rifle for immediate follow up shot?

Sincerely,
Theis
That was my point exactly when I initially stated why I would never deploy with a DT in a LE capacity. and choose AI hands down.

Reactions: THEIS
Speaking of reliability. Is there one action that would be CRF and AW compatible that would be just as reliable as an AI. I know the TL3 can come with the AW cut but that doesn’t necessarily means they’re as bombproof reliable as the AIs.

I ran an AI Ae mk1 for 6 years before switching to an AT for 2 years and had zero complaints for LE/SWAT applications. Recently started shooting a H&H precision rifle and love it.

I have shot the the DT but was not a fan of the ergonomics of the bull pup design for a bolt gun.

Just my 2 cents.

The AI's are more professional and probably reliable than the SRS, and their mags are built better, however as great as the AI mags are, they are too short for a properly seated (not SIP/SAMMI) 300 grain 338 Lapua!
I do believe the SRS barrel mounting is superior, and much like a barrel block mount of a bench rest gun, very stable. I Don't know about AI's support, but DTA is not very good at it, very frustrating! I do love my SRS though, compact, 1/4 moa, easy barrel / caliber changes!

........, however as great as the AI mags are, they are too short for a properly seated (not SIP/SAMMI) 300 grain 338 Lapua!
Please elaborate as to what you would think a "properly" seated 300gr should be?

The CIP (what the heck is SIP?) production spec is already longer than SAAMI (what the heck is SAMMI?).

Accuracy International very likely gives zero F's if a handful of reloaders want a longer mag to experiment with.

.........I Don't know about AI's support, but DTA is not very good at it, very frustrating!
Between the crew at Mile High and EuroOptic, Accuracy International has excellent support for their products within the U.S.

./

You know it all, so why ask me? But you did, so.
The 338 Lapua was designed for a 250 grain projectile, and was standardized shorter than the optimum length for the later 300 grain projectiles. You certainly understand the 300 grain projectiles have higher bc's, but must be pushed farther into the case, if magazines and throats don't allow for this extra length. This causes a lost of case capacity that further slows the heavier bullet down so the gain in bc is offset by lower velocity. When there is the ability to push the bullet out and maximize case capacity you get more velocity and range, simple. Except, the Lapua was standardized too short to get the maximum out of the 300 grain bullets. You are right about AI not caring about me, they want government contracts. The 338 Lapua has been left behind by most of them for lesser cartridges with less recoil and performance. I like the AI mags, but I would like them to be as long as my stupid simple DT mags so I can make the Lapua perform the way it should with the 300 grain Bergers!

You need to give KMW serious consideration. We’ve had very good success and reliability.
Sorry about all the acronyms in the title! Anyways, I’m in the market for a new precision rifle for LE/SWAT work. I’ve got my choice narrowed down to a Accuracy International AT-LE (.308 w/16.5” barrel) or a Desert Tech SRS-M2 (.308 w/22” barrel). The rifle chosen will be ran suppressed with Hornady 168gr match, and will see a significant amount of tripod time. I’ve had hands on time with an SRS-A1 and several AI’s but haven’t shot either. The features I’m looking for are:
-1/2 moa or better with factory ammo
-reliable
-factory support for the foreseeable future
-NV capable
-ARCA capable (will have to be aftermarket for the AI)
-portable
-adaptable for different shooters

In an LE context (Short range precision/positional work) what would you chose and why?

I owned a DTA. My teammate for team competitions named it Dont Take Anywhere.

I mean, if you don't mind the factory bandaid firing pin bushing falling out. Or having to remove the bolt and recompress springs. And things going click instead of bang. One time, I looked in the dirt below my firing position and saw a DTA firing pin. I had secured a spare because I heard they were breaking.

I sold it and bought an AI. The AI is worlds better. I regret the time and money wasted with the DTA, their marginal customer service, everything across the board.

Most of these issues got fixed in like the 13th recall on the second generation of the rifle. But I paid over $4-5k to be a beta tester. It sucked.

The 338 Lapua was designed for a 250 grain projectile, and was standardized shorter than the optimum length for the later 300 grain projectiles. You certainly understand the 300 grain projectiles have higher bc's, but must be pushed farther into the case, if magazines and throats don't allow for this extra length. This causes a lost of case capacity that further slows the heavier bullet down so the gain in bc is offset by lower velocity. When there is the ability to push the bullet out and maximize case capacity you get more velocity and range, simple. Except, the Lapua was standardized too short to get the maximum out of the 300 grain bullets. You are right about AI not caring about me, they want government contracts. The 338 Lapua has been left behind by most of them for lesser cartridges with less recoil and performance. I like the AI mags, but I would like them to be as long as my stupid simple DT mags so I can make the Lapua perform the way it should with the 300 grain Bergers!
Or you can just switch to a more superior round in the 300NM. 🤷‍♂️

The 338 Lapua was designed for a 250 grain projectile, and was standardized shorter than the optimum length for the later 300 grain projectiles. You certainly understand the 300 grain projectiles have higher bc's,

Hi,

You certainly understand that there are lighter weight projectiles with better BC than those 300gr 338cal projectiles right?

So why take the reduction in MV and a reduction in BC value of going to those 300gr 338s?

The 338LM case itself was NEVER intended to use 300gr+ weight class projectiles....it just wasn't.

And just so nobody has to go searching for the numbers:

Berger OTM 300gr 338cal has G1 of .82
Badlands 265gr 338cal has G1 of .89
Badlands 285gr 338cal has G1 of 1.001
PVA 338cal has G1 right in line and/or slightly better than those.
Flatlines 256gr 338cal has G1 of .862
Flatlines 285gr 338cal has G1 of .968

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: W54/XM-388

Well, he's Terry Cross so he kinda does know it all..

Reactions: powdahound76
I do believe the SRS barrel mounting is superior, and much like a barrel block mount of a bench rest gun, very stable. I Don't know about AI's support, but DTA is not very good at it, very frustrating! I do love my SRS though, compact, 1/4 moa, easy barrel / caliber changes!

Yes this all this

Reactions: kthomas
I owned a DTA. My teammate for team competitions named it Dont Take Anywhere.

I mean, if you don't mind the factory bandaid firing pin bushing falling out. Or having to remove the bolt and recompress springs. And things going click instead of bang. One time, I looked in the dirt below my firing position and saw a DTA firing pin. I had secured a spare because I heard they were breaking.

I sold it and bought an AI. The AI is worlds better. I regret the time and money wasted with the DTA, their marginal customer service, everything across the board.

Most of these issues got fixed in like the 13th recall on the second generation of the rifle. But I paid over $4-5k to be a beta tester. It sucked.
Didn’t you have a old one though ? I think most of those issues are non existent in the A1 and newer ?

+1 on an AI AT 4 LE, you'll be GTG ASAP.
20201122_174752.jpg

Some police depts have MRAPs and 50cals. 338 is child's play

Well the FBI has 20mm’s. So

Yep. Stored right with all the black, whisper-mode helicopters, right?

.338 and bigger guns don’t have any application in a normal LE sniper role. I know someone will throw out the “stopping vehicles” argument…. Ridiculous.

Whose deadly force policy allows for firing a weapon solely to stop a vehicle???? DOJ’s doesn’t.

You don’t need a .338 or .50 to shoot through a windshield.

Yep. Stored right with all the black, whisper-mode helicopters, right?

.338 and bigger guns don’t have any application in a normal LE sniper role. I know someone will throw out the “stopping vehicles” argument…. Ridiculous.

Whose deadly force policy allows for firing a weapon solely to stop a vehicle???? DOJ’s doesn’t.

You don’t need a .338 or .50 to shoot through a windshield.

Are you dense?

And who are you to decide what LE needs to complete their mission. If you haven’t done it you don’t know what it takes and how hard their day is

Reactions: RRW
Don’t think everything you read on the internet is accurate. HRT isn’t going down-range anymore. And BRF buys all kinds of whacky shit for research purposes.
Those rifles do not exist in the Field SWAT program of the FBI.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Hi,

LOLOL Did you seriously cite Tactical Life as your information source?

Safe to assume you have not been around many 20mm shoulder fired weapon systems right?

Because there is ZERO chance that any of them are accurate enough for 4900 yards.

The worlds utmost authority on "precision" 20mm shoulder fired systems...Truvelo Armory and Denel Land Systems list the effective range at 1800m and this was proven decade ago by NSW Crane's "Reutilization of 20mm ammunition" research and testing project.

No way that enlarged pipe gun from Anzio is able to take the same ammunition and add 3000 yards to it, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

LOLOL Did you seriously cite Tactical Life as your information source?

Safe to assume you have not been around many 20mm shoulder fired weapon systems right?

Because there is ZERO chance that any of them are accurate enough for 4900 yards.

The worlds utmost authority on "precision" 20mm shoulder fired systems...Truvelo Armory and Denel Land Systems list the effective range at 1800m and this was proven decade ago by NSW Crane's "Reutilization of 20mm ammunition" research and testing project.

No way that enlarged pipe gun from Anzio is able to take the same ammunition and add 3000 yards to it, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis
I said nothing about range. I said the FBI bought 20mms

what do you even know about LE weapon systems. Or rifle capability and manufacturing ??

Last edited:
@Skunk - I will say you should talk to the Grand County Colorado Sherriff’s office about the idea of having a 50 BMG and API around…..

They got offers of help that day with just that.

Not sure they have one, but it has for sure crossed some minds I bet!!

Did BurtGummer just say "What does THEIS even know about rifle manufacturing?" Really? I know he's not been here long, but that's totally ridiculous. I'm afraid he'll be mocked for that.

This place is just like arfcom. Full of blowhards bloviating about stuff like their experts when in reality they are just experts at Call Of Duty and Cheetos

at least there’s less cop haters here.

• Haha
This place is just like arfcom. Full of blowhards bloviating about stuff like their experts when in reality they are just experts at Call Of Duty and Cheetos

To a certain degree, you are correct in this statement. With a gazillion visitors and members, you are going to get some of that.

However....in addition to those you so eloquently described above, there are also SMEs and people with A LOT of real world experience that walk through here from time to time. Now for real, they may be here to troll or start shit or just get a laugh during a break at work but they also collectively have a metric shit ton of relevant information to share and sometimes do share.

This forum is a unique environment that has a lot of resources available if you are patient and at least sort of pretend to not be a dick.

I don't know shit but I would encourage you to accumulate more reading and listening time in these sub-forums. This should be an enlightening experience for you in that you will slowly (probably very fucking slowly) start to learn the legitimacy of certain names here.

Apologies in advance to @B4forever as this post and my previous two have zero to do with your original inquiry.

./

I do occasionally partake of cheetos but I really like hot fries.
In regards to cop haters, there are several epic threads here bashing LE.

@Skunk - I will say you should talk to the Grand County Colorado Sherriff’s office about the idea of having a 50 BMG and API around…..

They got offers of help that day with just that.

Not sure they have one, but it has for sure crossed some minds I bet!!
Sounds interesting; I’ll read about it.

I can tell you for sure that I cannot fire on a vehicle for the purposes of disabling/stopping the vehicle. Even if I was lugging a .50cal, that round must go through the windshield, fired at the driver.