• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Early Winchester 52 at 100yds

29aholic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southwest MO
I have always called this rifle my magic gun. It never ceases to amaze me.
Shot it last night at 100yds with Eley Tenex. 6 consecutive 5 shot groups. Temperature was about 82, sun was setting, and it was a little breezy. Those little squares are pretty small at 100 with only a 6x scope
Specs
Winchester 52 #1480 probably first year production
Lyman 6x Junior Targetspot
Rifle still cocks on the close.

Attachments

• Win52.jpg
    Win52.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 52Target.jpg
    52Target.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Winchester 52 #1480 probably first year production [/QUOTE said:
With that serial number, it is a much later rifle than 1919. They made 18 rifles in 1919. They didn't get to your serial
number till 1924 at which time they had made 1738 rifles. Mine is a bit earlier than yours with a barrel date of 1924. Mine is 1301. They were not
made "first in first out" either. Fun rifles to shoot. Need to get mine to the range again. Remember to NOT use the safety on the Pre-A's! You can crack
the lug on the left side of the rifle by doing so. Just open the bolt when at the range or walking with it.

At present, my earliest is 7001. It is apparently the first Stainless barrel '52 on record. I think it was 1927 or 1928. It is also cock on opening or slow lock. Very good shooter as well. Love those old rifles. Very good advice on the use of safety.

With that serial number, it is a much later rifle than 1919. They made 18 rifles in 1919. They didn't get to your serial
number till 1924 at which time they had made 1738 rifles. Mine is a bit earlier than yours with a barrel date of 1924. Mine is 1301. They were not
made "first in first out" either. Fun rifles to shoot. Need to get mine to the range again. Remember to NOT use the safety on the Pre-A's! You can crack
the lug on the left side of the rifle by doing so. Just open the bolt when at the range or walking with it.

You're right, according to Proofhouse it is 1933.
I rarely carry the gun loaded even when hunting (until I get where I am going). The receiver is still intact and I intend it to stay that way.

This gun started my love for 52's and I have had a bunch of them. I have to say though considering the barrel band, full stock contact, and forearm screw, it will keep up with most of the bull guns I have owned.

The 6x scope is alright for 50yds but really suffers at 100.

I've got a 52B. No doubt the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever fired. Seems like I read somewhere (for the 52B's anyway) that the year of manufacture was stamped on the bottom of the barrel near the receiver. Mine is stamped either 35 or 1935 (if I remember correctly). I ran an oily patch down the barrel and wiped it down in April and put it back in the safe, but didn't take it out of the stock.