• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eric cortina seating depth

Tony Boyer and Jack Neary agree with you
Maybe off-topic, a little. I am out of BR now. Some years ago, I used to watch Mr. Boyer shoot matches - with his funny hat. He did not win by shooting a lot of small groups. At that time, he won because he almost never shot a big group. The man had great aggregate scores. He was the master at knowing when to not shoot.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
What about a guy that has met him many times and thinks he is an asshole ?

Your sentence smells of alcohol . :rolleyes:
Well since my friend worked for him in the barndominium building and since I know him abd I don't think he is an asshole either .I can't explain or figure out why you have that opinion.But you're entitled to it.
Maybe he smoked your ass too many times in shooting vompetitiobs.Is that it?

Well since my friend worked for him in the barndominium building and since I know him abd I don't think he is an asshole either .I can't explain or figure out why you have that opinion.But you're entitled to it.
Maybe he smoked your ass too many times in shooting vompetitiobs.Is that it?
You don't seem very bright .

Last edited:
You don't seem very bright.

I'm probably not near as bright as you.I was just a dumb Pipeline Welder & CWI Inspector and race horse trainer.
I'm sure you are a highly educated man.
However I retired at 52.I imagine you are still working...being so smart and in demand.
Your pretty good at working your mouth talking bad about someone smarter and richer.And shoots better that you.
You're just a jealous want to be.Youre so jealous of Erik Cortina that you get on here and knock him.Did he shame you that bad in a match....in front of your wife after you told her you were the best.And then he smoked you so bad.
People like you have an inferiority complex.You have a need to talk bad about someone in order to make you feel better and bigger.
You have good day now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speed and Baron23
I'm sure you see a highly educated man.
However I retired at 52.I imagine you are still working.
Your pretty good at working your mouth talking bad about someone smarter and richer.And shoits vetter that you.
You're just a jealous want to be.Youre so jealous of Erik Cortina that you get on here and knock him.Dud he shame you that bad in a match....
For the record , I agree with you .

Buttttt…….. your post would have more impact and show how “ Bright “ you are if your grammar and spelling was a bit more on point .
To the handful of naysayers here , Cortina has Achieved / Won / Tested and done more shooting than 99% of all the people on here .
I’m not a “ Fanboy “ but do give credit where credit is due

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
Th

Buttttt…….. your post would have more impact and show how “ Bright “ you are if your grammar and spelling was a bit more on point .
To the handful of naysayers here , Cortina has Achieved / Won / Tested and done more shooting than 99% of all the people on here .
Thanks,
This smart phone does not always put what I write.It actually changes words and I don't bother to proof read and correct.It's nit that important to me to be grammar correct.
He got the meaning.

Reactions: Harronek
I don't know why people conflate "chasing the lands" with "seating depth doesn't matter". Seating depth does matter. It's chasing the lands that is stupid.

As to Eric Cortina; there is no denying the man shoots well. Doesn't mean he is smart. Try listening to him explain a complicated idea you quickly realise he is a bit out of his depth. It was quite painful watching the podcasts between him and Bryan Litz. That said, he can shoot and, judging by his scores, can react to wind changes better than most.

Some things that he preaches is quite misleading. Case in point is the time he walked in the pits and asked everyone there if they full-size or neck-size. By far the majority answered "full-size". What he neglected to add is that all those shooters have custom chambers designed to minimise the amount you have to resize cases. Doesn't matter for people with target rifles, but sucks for the new guy using a Lee Enfield with a generous chamber.

What really iritates the living crap out of me is that, contrary to some comments above, he doesn't share his all his knowledge. He admitted that as well. If he knows something that no one else does, he will keep it a secret because he wants to win. Is he an asshole for doing that?

Bottom line I can honestly say that I have not heard anything from his videos that I have not learnt elsewhere before he became a YouTube sensation.

Dude

Grammar Nazi? Seriously?

P

There are many people who can claim to have loaded and fired several hundred thousand rounds. But they still don’t know why stuff happens and how to control it.

Reactions: Schütze
I don't know why people conflate "chasing the lands" with "seating depth doesn't matter". Seating depth does matter. It's chasing the lands that is stupid.

As to Eric Cortina; there is no denying the man shoots well. Doesn't mean he is smart. Try listening to him explain a complicated idea you quickly realise he is a bit out of his depth. It was quite painful watching the podcasts between him and Bryan Litz. That said, he can shoot and, judging by his scores, can react to wind changes better than most.

Some things that he preaches is quite misleading. Case in point is the time he walked in the pits and asked everyone there if they full-size or neck-size. By far the majority answered "full-size". What he neglected to add is that all those shooters have custom chambers designed to minimise the amount you have to resize cases. Doesn't matter for people with target rifles, but sucks for the new guy using a Lee Enfield with a generous chamber.

What really iritates the living crap out of me is that, contrary to some comments above, he doesn't share his all his knowledge. He admitted that as well. If he knows something that no one else does, he will keep it a secret because he wants to win. Is he an asshole for doing that?

Bottom line I can honestly say that I have not heard anything from his videos that I have not learnt elsewhere before he became a YouTube sensation.
You nailed it , great post . I wish I could be that polite when he is the subject .

Agreed he gets in to deep often but he seems to be turning a new leaf with all these interviews he is doing and changing up his ideas and process and not so "this is the only way"

The video in the pits with everyone stating FL size you needed to have the knowledge that they are only bumping shoulders .002" which also sizes the body fairly minimally, they aren't crushing down to minimum saami spec. This is acheivable with any chamber and a standard set of FL dies, just need to set them up properly.

Erik not sharing secrets that keep him winning. That is pretty normal in any competitive sport, but he is sharing more than anyone else.

Erik not sharing secrets that keep him winning. That is pretty normal in any competitive sport, but he is sharing more than anyone else.
Maybe it is normal for Fclass or bench rest, I don't know.

You ask any target rifle (Bisley, Palma, High Power) shooter what and how he does things he will give you chapter and verse from loading to shooting including how he judges wind calls. The English Palma team even published how they select and train their team. We all know that we compete in a skill-based game where it is people against people.

Keeping secrets are for people that think that they do not shoot good enough to win on skill alone.

Reactions: Haney
Keeping secrets are for people that think that they do not shoot good enough to win on skill alone.
In any shooting sports the top is so tight that no one is consistently winning so in reality no they aren't good enough to win on skill alone, at bare minimum they need a bit of luck and if they think some little minor thing is giving them an edge they are going to use that. But it seems those little secrets are often shared between them and a few others that it still doesn't make them the only one doing it.

Literally every sport has someone at the top keeping secrets somewhere about something.

• Haha
Th

Thanks,
This smart phone does not always put what I write.It actually changes words and I don't bother to proof read and correct.It's nit that important to me to be grammar correct.
He got the meaning.
Like I said, you are not very bright . You sure do have a feminine way about you .

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845
Like I said, you are not very bright . You sure do have a feminine way about you .
You really have problem dude...Is your wife sleeping with your best friend and you just hate on all Men.I guess you just couldn't put the Meficine where the Pain was..
The good Lord shorted you there too! Damn no brains and that.No wonder you talk shit.Thats all you can do.

• Haha
Reactions: Haney and Speed
You really have problem dude...Is your wife sleeping with your best friend and you just hate on all Men.I guess you just couldn't put the Meficine where the Pain was..
The good Lord shorted you there too! Damn no brains and that.No wonder you talk shit.Thats all you can do.
Don't feed the troll. He rarely offers anything of substance to a conversation... Every once in a while he'll make a reasoned, sane remark. But not often.

I sometimes wonder if he leaves his computer open and has a punk kid that likes to get on here and run his cock holster.

Or maybe he's just a wormy piece of shit... The world may never know.

Mike

Don't feed the troll. He rarely offers anything of substance to a conversation... Every once in a while he'll make a reasoned, sane remark. But not often.

I sometimes wonder if he leaves his computer open and has a punk kid that likes to get on here and run his cock holster.

Or maybe he's just a wormy piece of shit... The world may never know.

Mike
Ok Mike.I don't why he just started being mean.Thanks

• Haha
I am going to just toss my 1.5 cent’s worth in here. Shooting/reloading is a discipline and you really need to master (as well as possible, given your location in the journey) shooting technique, reloading technique and load development techniques and then you still have to work on your hardware. Not only is it a journey and a never ending process but if your results do not match expectations you need to revisit your processes. I have become a better shooter because I was not reproducing results as expected. If a+b+c=d today, but not tomorrow then something is varying, obviously, and it may be your shooting technique or it could be something you are doing during reloading (or not doing) that is introducing variability.
I like Erik’s processes and it’s a great place to start. Main thing is think about what you are doing and analyze the results you are getting. It’s a competition with yourself, to improve, often in leaps or tiny increments but seldom steady.
For me it has been very inconsistent improvements with several revelations of where I was introducing error in my processes.

I am going to just toss my 1.5 cent’s worth in here. Shooting/reloading is a discipline and you really need to master (as well as possible, given your location in the journey) shooting technique, reloading technique and load development techniques and then you still have to work on your hardware. Not only is it a journey and a never ending process but if your results do not match expectations you need to revisit your processes. I have become a better shooter because I was not reproducing results as expected. If a+b+c=d today, but not tomorrow then something is varying, obviously, and it may be your shooting technique or it could be something you are doing during reloading (or not doing) that is introducing variability.
I like Erik’s processes and it’s a great place to start. Main thing is think about what you are doing and analyze the results you are getting. It’s a competition with yourself, to improve, often in leaps or tiny increments but seldom steady.
For me it has been very inconsistent improvements with several revelations of where I was introducing error in my processes.
Erik Breaks It Down..He gives you ( us ) the Formula.. After that its not that hard. Consistency is the key. And to me.. So when I shoot its always Its Me against Me.. The Competition in the matches is just Extra for me.
The Tuner Brake just makes it like Cheating! >LOL

maybe it's better that way, because they do some wierd things with theis brass and bullets, and change them with weater ets...

but in bottom line, those things dont change nothing, they do them because they believe that they works.
but in reality those tricks probably don't work because they test too small sample size, so new reloaders would have hard time because they would follow those noncenses...

but they doesnt say that Eric had 8 different barrels in World with him, and shot with the best...

Erik Breaks It Down..He gives you ( us ) the Formula.. After that its not that hard. Consistency is the key. And to me.. So when I shoot its always Its Me against Me.. The Competition in the matches is just Extra for me.
The Tuner Brake just makes it like Cheating! >LOL
1692009702383.png

I don't chase lands, so my seating depth has technically changed by a few thou when in relation to the lands. Still shoots great. Maybe it's because they are Berger Hybrids, and other projectiles like SMK's would be much loss tolerant of land erosion.

Is this true?

I am a beginner, and due to Berger 109 being mostly unavailable, I was thinking about buying a bunch of Sierra 107 SMK rounds for starting reloading (SMK are also much cheaper than Berger LRHT).

Are they more sensitive to seating depth?

I'd like to make this as easy on myself as possible.

Is this true?

I am a beginner, and due to Berger 109 being mostly unavailable, I was thinking about buying a bunch of Sierra 107 SMK rounds for starting reloading (SMK are also much cheaper than Berger LRHT).

it's hard to say until you try them. Some barrels love certain bullets and hate others.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Is this true?

You'd do a lot better to just shoot Berger 108 bthp. They are a lot easier to find and shoot extremely well and they don't really give up anything to the 109 everyone goes nuts about

Is this true?

Those Sierras are easy to load .

Is this true?

With my 224 Valkyrie, Bergers loved a jump of 40 thousandths. I have completely divorced myself from the jamming or close to the lands philosophy. I typically start at 10-20 thou off the lands and move away these days. I have had trouble finding bergers since Covid and have stuck with Hornady ELD’s since they seem plentiful.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum