• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Everyday shoe recommendations

Does no one here wear normal shoes? Chucks, trainers, Nike, Reebok, Addidas, etc.?
How many here are currently wearing pants w/ cargo pockets???

I've heard of knuckle draggers but this dude (OP) is a toe dragger. :)

Does no one here wear normal shoes? Chucks, trainers, Nike, Reebok, Addidas, etc.?
How many here are currently wearing pants w/ cargo pockets???
99% of the time I'm in cargos, work or play, love me some pockets.

When not in boots, some light weight sketchers.

i have to try on shoes to see if they fit right. where can i try on these $200 shoes?
being a poor, i wear sneakers and the last time i found decent ones i liked (without stupid colors), i bought 3 more pairs online (cheaper than the store) so i wouldn't need shoes for a while. yeah, toilet paper wasn't a problem either.
i have one more pair that i haven't worn yet, and then i'll have to go shopping again.

/not amazon btw. fuck amazon.

Reactions: Rabbitseason
I've heard of knuckle draggers but this dude (OP) is a toe dragger. :)
No. I actually still work. Things occasionally roll under my machine at work. The stitches also liked to rip through the rubber at the toes.

The salomon ultra 3's have been good so far.

No. I actually still work. Things occasionally roll under my machine at work. The stitches also liked to rip through the rubber at the toes.

are you standing on cement most of the day? can you add a fatigue mat or something easier on your shoes?
if i was working at a machine destroying my shoes, i'd probably put shoe goo all over them as needed until they aren't comfortable anymore.
i'd also leave em at work if you can and then you can wear some nice shoes without fucking them up and wasting the money.

The Moabs are great. Really good heel support. The toe box is so roomy yet your foot doesn't slip. No break in required. I also wish they were just a bit better made. The Gortex worked for me into the near zeros temp wise. Just don't get them wet.

How do the waterproof actually work in water?

Out of curiosity, what machining job tears up shoes that much and doesn't require steel toes at a min?

Try Oboz. I had a pair and they outlasted any pair of Merrells I've ever owned by maybe a factor of 2-3x. The downside is that they don't fit me as well as the Moab, but your experience may be different.

I had one pair of Oboz. Never again. One short three mile hike and I wore holes through the insole and the back of the ankle. For me it’s Altra, Merell, Keen, or Lowa.

I have worn Keen Durand's for probably 6 to 7 years. They are the longest lasting shoe I've ever had. Keen has a few select models made in the usa and they blow their other stuff out of the water. I wear mine every day and get at least one year out of them before starting to blow seams. Superior rubber wears a long time. I weigh about 290 so they get a lot of force on them. I have a boxier toe box and keens seem to be the only brand that matches that profile.

I've had a bunch of different Lowa boots, from plastic ice climbing /mountaineering boots to the Renegades & Zephyrs that I've used at work. They hold up incredibly well and are very comfortable. I spent 3 straight 18 hour days in my almost worn out Renegades this summer during the Denver riots and never had any foot issues. A couple dudes in my team also run Lowas and love them.

Salomons just don't fit my feet, but some of the guys on my team use them & love them too.

Going on almost a year now working from home during the Kung-fluey. I have probably gone barefoot more in this year than I have my entire 40 years of life.

As a result I’ve become keenly aware of how my feet are supposed to work vs the way we force them to work with most modern footwear. They nobody in bare feet has ever sprained an ankle. Boots I’ve always worn are extremely uncomfortable unless they allow my toes room to spread out. Gonna be shifting my focus to “barefoot style” footwear. Minimal sole, zero drop, and big toe box.

I switched from merrel to keen as well, the merrels kept falling apart within a year and with very little use. Keep in mind they do have a warranty.... if it’s within a year from purchase they will replace them for free. It doesn’t make up for a nowadays shitty product but it’s nice to know If they fall apart sooner than they should at least you can do something about it if you choose ( and have your receipt)

Good old pair of Etnies, DC shoes or Van's. That's all I ever use. You can even wear them to work

These.
20557AAD-B1CC-4C3B-9005-4BD0BECBC70B.jpeg
Frank talks so quick (swear that cup was 100% espresso) I didnt catch the brand.
they arent all orange. And yes, they make em in pink!!

I wear mainly Ariat shoes. They offer some durable everyday shoes and boots.

Was in the same predicament as you about 6 years ago.
Found several excellent lightweight and super comfortable boots but they would usually be coming apart inside 12 months.

Instead of paying $100 or so per pair of these, I wanted something that would last AND be comfortable. Being dumb as a rock on such things, I hit up my gear nerd hiking buds and some SWAT TLs around the country. Came down to Salomon or Lowa.

Found out almost all of Salomon is out of China now. I know that doesn't automatically mean bad quality but if it comes to a tie-breaker, I'm not going to wear Chinese.

One of the suppliers ran a 20% off sale and I bought a pair of size 12 LOWA Zephyrs (Non GoreTex version) to see how the size ran and inspect.
This link is NOT one of the On Sale promotions but is here just to show what company and style I use.

Sizing was perfect so I laced them up and wore to work. Most of my day is on my feet. My feet were killing me at the end of Day 1 and I thought they were going to be too stiff even though they were light. Wore them again the next day and WAY better. After Day 3, it was like they were custom made for me. I became very impressed and ordered another pair before the sale ended.

Since then, I have bought a pair of the Zephyr GTX and Innox GTX for wet and/or cold.

I open up my boots when they come off every night and always rotate into the 2nd pair the next day.
When they have gotten totally nasty, I have washed them after removing the insoles and laces. After dry, spray a conditioner on the exterior and go again.

I wear these every day, all day. Zero issues with sewn seams or laminated layers. The sole material seems to be very well chosen to provide non-slip traction but not wear excessively. I am totally sold.

They make everything in the Slovenia / Germany area.

./

Ranger Rgt and many of our boys have been running Salomon for a LONG time. They are the shit.

With that being said, footware is 100% dependent on your foot. Find a boot that fits your foot first and foremost.

What Terry said is key, You need to rotate footwear every day. It takes about 24 hours for the moisture to dry out (less with cedar foot trees).

Doesn't matter if its $500 dress shoes for $100 boots, it will extend the life of the footwear by 4 or 5 times if you rotate. It will also keep funk and athletes foot down.

Salomon makes their boots all over. I just checked my 15 or so pairs and they are made in India, China & Vietnam. I have never paid more than $90for even the most expensive pair with mil discount. GTX running shoes for about $50, GTX mids for about $65 and GTX hikers for about $85 including leather uppers. All footware is going to be made in those regions unless you are paying $400+ per pair, thats just economics. Lots of good German, Italian and US made footware, but with modern materials and designs you aren't wearing a set of leather boots for 20 years and resoling them anymore. Cheaper, faster and more comfortable to buy a new set once the waterproofing fails or sole is dead.

Last edited: