• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Everyday Sniper Podcast: Knowledge Bomb Edition: Rise of the Valkyrie

I thought prime was long gone
I think they are going Creedmoor that small

I would expect them to do a 22 creed but you never know
I can't imagine they would get past barrel life of the 22 Creed. They kinda screwed that up with the 6.5 PRC but the 7 and 300 seem very reasonable for the bullet weights they are pushing.

I couldn't get the 88 to group in my gun with my handloads. That was with speeds near what the Bergers were doing. But the factory 88gr were tack drivers, just super slow.

The 88s were pretty good in my rifle but I did not try them at speed, maybe I need to do a load with them and see

I got a TON of Starline brass from Chris Way.

IMG_3540.JPG

This thread has made me reconsider the Valkyrie. Just got a bunch of CFE223 and I have a bunch of 90 SMKs to run. I am going to get another Big Horn action for this, I have everything else. Nice thread and thanks for posting info.

Reactions: TNSleeper99
Thanks Frank for putting this up here. This is my gun and load he is talking about. I have tried this load in some Hornady brass and only did 2 reloads with it. So far no issues at all. This was the 1st load with the Starline brass. There is no pressure signs at all with load. I assume brass life will be good with it. And Frank is right, this load hammers. It is so easy shooting this gun. I put up my AI and shot this the 2nd day at class.
Sorry if I missed it, but what length / twist is your barrel? TIA

Been reading Valkyrie all day. Have a 20” gasser but never really use it. Was full speed ahead this morning on building a bolt gun for what I have in ammo and components. What I have read about brass situation scares me a little bit to invest in a bolt gun build but I really want to do it. This rifle will primarily be for my wife so I think it would be perfect but just worried about spending the money to build and then not being able to find brass. Definitely a 6.5” twist and not a 7 is what I’m seeing?

I would say go for it. If you build a nice rifle, and brass goes away, you’re only out the cost of a barrel and bolt head if you go with something with interchangeable bolt heads. I love my Valkyrie in my bighorn action but a have a few other barrels for it as well. Best of both worlds.

When brass is available what’s the going rate per piece? Not the rip off rate though.

Ya my plan was a Black Friday arc nucleus with Valkyrie head and then go from there. I do have a healthy amount of federal and Hornady ammo and a pile of 88eldm, dies etc. all I need is the action and barrel everything else I basically have laying around and would just take the optic off the gas gun.

So .65 per
Cheaper then dirt says it has 3,000 Hornady for $1,500 so .50 per dont care for that place though.

Reactions: Jackomason
So .65 per
Cheaper then dirt says it has 3,000 Hornady for $1,500 so .50 per dont care for that place though.

This is what I payed in May direct from Starline.

Name Unit Price Qty Total
224 Valkyrie - 500 $212.50 1 $212.50
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $212.50

If you have any questions about your order please call 1-800-280-6660 Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm (CST).
A Great Shot Starts with Starline!
Facebook Instagram YouTube Twitter

Reactions: Jackomason
So .65 per
I think I paid .45-.50 per for Starlines regular brass last time I ordered 500. I had to back order it and wait though. By comparison, I pay 1.00 per for Lapua 6CM brass and they just put it on the list of calibers they are pausing production.

Well that cheaper then dirt price don’t sound to bad then

Def build one. The barrel will last a long time and so should the brass. 500 pieces of Starline should last a good long time. Also the Valk is so nice to shoot. No recoil.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Been reading Valkyrie all day. Have a 20” gasser but never really use it. Was full speed ahead this morning on building a bolt gun for what I have in ammo and components. What I have read about brass situation scares me a little bit to invest in a bolt gun build but I really want to do it. This rifle will primarily be for my wife so I think it would be perfect but just worried about spending the money to build and then not being able to find brass. Definitely a 6.5” twist and not a 7 is what I’m seeing?
Not contradicting Jack and the excellent results that Drumie has with a 7T , 24" barrel with the 85.5 Bergers, but I would opt for the 6.5T just in case you settle on the 88 ELDM (or higher weight bullet) or can't get the 85.5s because a 7T will, according to the Berger SG calculator and confirmed by the SG factor given in my Strelok Pro app, only achieve marginal stability: that is something less than 1.5. Your odds improve with warmer weather but shooting in the 40-50s and just about sea level here on the east coast, the 6.5T is a plus. Nothing wrong with more twist IMO.

Good luck with the V. It's a great round - I've been with it for four years and use it in competition. Don't have bolt gun yet, just gassers.

Not contradicting Jack and the excellent results that Drumie has with a 7T , 24" barrel with the 85.5 Bergers, but I would opt for the 6.5T just in case you settle on the 88 ELDM (or higher weight bullet) or can't get the 85.5s because a 7T will, according to the Berger SG calculator and confirmed by the SG factor given in my Strelok Pro app, only achieve marginal stability: that is something less than 1.5. Your odds improve with warmer weather but shooting in the 40-50s and just about sea level here on the east coast, the 6.5T is a plus. Nothing wrong with more twist IMO.

Good luck with the V. It's a great round - I've been with it for four years and use it in competition. Don't have bolt gun yet, just gassers.
Thanks, I have about 1k off 88 eldm on hand now and about 400 factory 88eldm ammo. So for the first 1,400 ish anyway that will be what I’ll be shooting. I’m definitely leaning towards doing the Valkyrie

The 88gr eldm is my go to bullet. I've shot it at 10k feet and at sea level in California. I haven't had an issue even running them slow. 7T 26". I just don't see the issue. I can't say that I'd tell anyone to avoid a 7 twist or that I'd really care if someone got a 6.5 twist barrel.

I have a 22-250 with a 24" 7 twist bartlein. I'm at 6500ft. There's probably more to it than just the bullets, but I'm getting quite a few rounds that vaporize like the 6.5mm eldms were for a while. The 90gr bergers are a little worse than the 88eldms, but its noticeable. I kinda lean towards more of a barrel issue, and probably something more along the lines of wear on the throat. I can't even measure to the lands with the hornady OAL tool anymore, it's torched. If I shoot a slow enough string(5 minutes or so between rounds), the dam thing still prints sub 1/2 moa out to 800yds. If I dump a mag though, pretty much guarantee there's a mystery "where the hell did that one go" scenario. These are all over 3100fps too

I have a 22-250 with a 24" 7 twist bartlein. I'm at 6500ft. There's probably more to it than just the bullets, but I'm getting quite a few rounds that vaporize like the 6.5mm eldms were for a while. The 90gr bergers are a little worse than the 88eldms, but its noticeable. I kinda lean towards more of a barrel issue, and probably something more along the lines of wear on the throat. I can't even measure to the lands with the hornady OAL tool anymore, it's torched. If I shoot a slow enough string(5 minutes or so between rounds), the dam thing still prints sub 1/2 moa out to 800yds. If I dump a mag though, pretty much guarantee there's a mystery "where the hell did that one go" scenario. These are all over 3100fps too
That's because you are over 300k rpm on the bullet. My 22GT does the same thing in a 7 twist running at 3170. 2950 to 3k in a Valkyrie won't do that.

Reactions: mahlv
Anyone ever tried imr4064 or rl15 in the Valkyrie. I have plenty of both just curious if they’re worth a dam. Seems like they would be. Also have plenty of imr4350 which I’ve seen a few guys mention.

Anyone ever tried imr4064 or rl15 in the Valkyrie. I have plenty of both just curious if they’re worth a dam. Seems like they would be. Also have plenty of imr4350 which I’ve seen a few guys mention.
I've tried them both in the past and the result was a very accurate but "slow" (2600ish fps) round. With the 88s and the 24", 6T or 6.7T gassers that I have, 26.5 of CFE223 pushes my 88s at 2760-2785 depending on temp. After reading the load the Drumie used in @lowlights class (28 grs. CFE223 with 85.5 Bergers, I had to try it in my 6T gasser and I was up to 2930 fps, but it wasn't kind to the brass. I'm going to try it at 27.* with my 88s here shortly and see if it gets me up to 2850 and no brass issues.

I believe Franks Valk is a 7 twist. I remember him saying that is all you need. All the talk about needing a faster twist was from the ammo issue Federal had when they first brought out the caliber. My 7 twist will shoot the factory Hornady 88gr great. I had not problem shooting out to 1k with them. And my mv was down about 50fps from what the box said it would be. I don't see where you would need a 6.5.

Update is I secured a 7 twist krieger and hoping I score the nucleus on BF but shouldn’t be an issue. Contacted both my smiths and neither has done a Valkyrie, not familiar with its idiosyncrasies and obviously don’t have reamer and gauge. So I’ll ask for suggestions on a “Valkyrie” knowledgeable gunsmith to spin up this barrel that truly knows this caliber since it seems that some experienced knowledge with the Valkyrie would benefit me in winding up with a shooter. Thanks for the info so far btw.

I used Padoms reamer at keystone accuracy. If you ask for Dominic's reamer he'll know what you are talking about. It has .115" freebore. That's a different topic all together though.

Since we were having the brass conversation the other day. Millworks has new Starline in stock for .55.

Since we were having the brass conversation the other day. Millworks has new Starline in stock for .55.
You can still just buy direct from Starline. They haven't closed ordering yet. They show backordered, but they always do and have shiped within 2 weeks everytime I ordered. Shipping is free from Starline.
.43 ea for 500 or .40 ea for 1000

On sale free shipping till tomorrow

When your groups are spectacular, but your ES’s are garbage….where to go next?

Attachments

• AD73C157-4278-4693-BD06-73F7402D8B3B.jpeg
    AD73C157-4278-4693-BD06-73F7402D8B3B.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 59
  • B6BAB58B-4199-4976-B532-34B19D9D67D9.jpeg
    B6BAB58B-4199-4976-B532-34B19D9D67D9.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 59
  • FD30E52E-F4A7-48A1-BC7B-BFCDEE7EE63B.jpeg
    FD30E52E-F4A7-48A1-BC7B-BFCDEE7EE63B.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: ma smith
In the interest of rounding up some things I need for this build on Black Friday was hoping some of you all had an answer. Is there a proper working mag extension for the mdt Valkyrie mags? Or suggestions on mags for the Valkyrie in general? Like to buy once and preferably not have to screw with them too much. Thanks!

In the interest of rounding up some things I need for this build on Black Friday was hoping some of you all had an answer. Is there a proper working mag extension for the mdt Valkyrie mags? Or suggestions on mags for the Valkyrie in general? Like to buy once and preferably not have to screw with them too much. Thanks!
MDT 6BR mags and a feed lip tool to bend the feed lips in ever so slightly. It’s the best solution that I know for an AICS option, and I think I’ve tried them all.

MDT 6BR mags and a feed lip tool to bend the feed lips in ever so slightly. It’s the best solution that I know for an AICS option, and I think I’ve tried them all.
How many rounds does this option end up holding?

I have tried most mags out there and for me these work the best. They never have jammed on me once. The others will work then jam once in a while.

Please if there’s any other gunsmith recommendations!