• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite AR trigger

I've got several Jard triggers in my AR's. They run $120 from Brownells, are single stage and completely adjustable. Never had a problem with them when adjusted properly. GREAT trigger IMHO.

AR triggers I've tried: standard milspec, Daniel Defense, Hiperfire (24-c), Geissele (G2S, National Match).

For accuracy work, the National Match is top of the list, followed by the G2S (both are 2-stage). For more action-oriented disciplines, the Hiperfire or DD are quite acceptable but I'd still go with the Geisseles.

I've gotten out of the AR realm, preferring a bolt action for accuracy and a PCC for run&gun. The National Match is the only AR trigger I have left, and it's overkill for a PCC... probably need to put it on the PX, but as soon as I do I'll pick up another AR....

Timney 3# comp triggers in my 15’s and Wilson in my 6.5 creed. Wasnt sure about the 4# trigger in the Wilson but damn that thing is smooth.?

SSA-E or the DMR for 2 stage
JP for single stage

Anyone try that Hiperfire with the things that look like shock absorbers?

A couple of guys here have them. I've run the 24C flat blade for last 2 years or so. Great trigger but it has a learning curve. "Easy" to switch to 3, 4 or 5 lbs with swap of springs or rather, it's easy after a few swaps.

The plastic shoe seems to mute the feel of the trigger a bit, but there is virtually no creep at all. Just pressure... bang. Very positive reset and nice ability to tune shoe height to change perceived pull weight and finger position.

That said, it's touchy as hell on the lighter springs; feels more like a 2.0lb trigger with lightest springs.

I’m interested in the Geissele SD-3G. This isn’t going to used in a work gun. It’ll be used as a range gun / three gun type of deal.

Someone said something about a “unique” feel to the trigger. Tell me more.

Another vote for Jard. Mine is a crisp 1.5 Lbs on a digital scale. Jard's make my Gisselle feel like a dragging brick, not even in the same category. The Hyper fire would be next best according to my trigger finger.

Geissele SSA/SSA-E or Larue MBT.
I had poor experience with Jard - heavy/creepy trigger.

Wow, really? You're the second on this page to say that. Single stage I'm guessing? I know their older triggers were very, uh, "crunchy" and had a grinding feel. The engagement surfaces were parkerized IIRC. I had a 2 stage FAL trigger from them, they're the only ones that make a 2 stage for an FAL, and I bought it eight years ago but never got it working. It had a few problems I won't go into. Anyway, sent 'em an email explaining the issue, told 'em it was eight years ago, they said send 'em the whole rifle. So I did. Got it back in a few weeks with a completely new trigger unit, I mean completely redesigned, cut and finished differently, totally new. So now it works and though it's not a Geissele, it IS the best damn FAL trigger there is. I have to give Jard a big A+++ on CS, they REALLY stand behind their work and I won't forget that.

But I'm still partial to Geissele to be honest. I'm a trigger snob. I like different ones for different work. The 3gun triggers are only good for action shooting and defense; if you try to gently squeeze this one chances are you'll get a double (hopefully their new single stage will be different --difference is on the 3G the disconnector bumps the hammer on release, on single stage it doesn't touch it). It's a damn fast trigger.. The Hi-Speed has got to be the best AR trigger, hands down, it's a fully adj. Geissele with a lightened hammer and low lock times. Only have one due to the screws but in eight years they haven't moved. The SSA/E are both good too and I use them most.

Nobody else will speak for it so I will, the KAC 2 stage trigger is damn nice and built like a tank. When I got the SR25 I figured I'd need to change out the trigger but I didn't. It's about on par with the Geissele.

Wilson makes a VERY nice single stage 3 gun trigger, damn fast with short pull and no creep and no overtravel, but I thought their 2 stage was way overpriced as it wasn't much better than an RRA.

Geissele hands down, there is enough variety for any application. After visiting the factory and getting an in depth tour, I will continue to spend $ on anything they make. The focus on perfection and inspection is beyond words. There are very few companies I can think of that CARE about quality as much as Bill Geissele and his team, this applies to any product they make down to the smallest detail we overlook.

Like others here, I have gone through a bunch of triggers. Wilson, Hiperfire, Geissele, AR Gold, ALG, tuned mil-spec and etc. Best depends on application. For hard running work or carbine classes, I like the SD3G. For strictly precision, ARGold. Best all around SSA-E.
Most carbine classes won't allow triggers with less than 3.5# for safety. And I agree with that. Leave those 2# triggers for your precision rifles.
Also, there's more to Geissele than just "feel" to justify them. Probably the longest lasting trigger out there (try to wear one out- yes, I have worn out an AR trigger before, not a Geissele)

Reactions: Alarka
I’m interested in the Geissele SD-3G. This isn’t going to used in a work gun. It’ll be used as a range gun / three gun type of deal.

Someone said something about a “unique” feel to the trigger. Tell me more.
The SD3G has a slightly longer pull to it with some drag in the pull. It is not a precision trigger that likes that light finger and has a clean break. As mentioned above, that kind of light precision pull will often result in a double, or rarely, a triple shot with one pull. This requires the deliberate full pull one will utilize in 3G competition (or combat). The SD3G's purpose is to provide the fastest reset possible for the follow up shot and it does this absolutely. And yes it makes a difference when hundreds or even thousandths of a second count in competition.

I am looking for a trigger and narrowed it down between the trigger tech primary adaptable and the timney calvin elite.
It is going on a 223 bull barrel gun that will be used for hitting steel out to 700 or whatever the wind allows.
Anyone have both that can comment on the differences?

The SD3G has a slightly longer pull to it with some drag in the pull. It is not a precision trigger that likes that light finger and has a clean break. As mentioned above, that kind of light precision pull will often result in a double, or rarely, a triple shot with one pull. This requires the deliberate full pull one will utilize in 3G competition (or combat). The SD3G's purpose is to provide the fastest reset possible for the follow up shot and it does this absolutely. And yes it makes a difference when hundreds or even thousandths of a second count in competition.

The day I made that post another ‘Hider contacted me w/ info on an SD-3G he had available. I bought the trigger & due to a work-related injury I haven’t been able to make it to the range.

It took about 3 minutes to install. W/ the flat trigger shoe & the 3.5 lb spring it feels great! I dry fired it a bit & I’m really digging it. The reset is very quick. I don’t think I’ll be disappointed at all when I can finally get back to the range.

The best all-around trigger is the Geissele SSA-E IMHO.

I'll have a lightly used SD-E for sale/trade here soon for anyone interested.

I am looking for a trigger and narrowed it down between the trigger tech primary adaptable and the timney calvin elite.
It is going on a 223 bull barrel gun that will be used for hitting steel out to 700 or whatever the wind allows.
Anyone have both that can comment on the differences?
I played with both when at Brownells. I walked out with 2 Calvin Elites.

Second the recommendation on the Calvin Elite. Have 3 specimens and they are all 1.5lbs (measured). With the wider trigger shoes, the apparent weight of pull seems even less.

Thanks for the recommendations, ordered a Calvin Elite, have a Krieger bull barrel on a Seekins upper that just wants to shoot but the trigger feels like you are dragging wood on rough concrete.

for almost 19 years I had an Amalite 2 stage trigger in my high power match lower, but had not used the rifle in a long while. Now thinking about competing again, and facing the assult rifle ban here in California, I just just replaced my "banned by name" lower receiver, and installed an adjustable TriggerTech, and while all I have done is dry fire the rifle, I know I will really like it. The installation was a breeze.

I used to go with the Geissele SSA-E, but found the Larue MBT 2s to be about the same and it is only $87 versus $240 for the SSA-E. I do not mind spending money, but honestly for me they are the same.

this is a timely thread. I just finished my first real precision AR15 and used a SSE. I have another in a more traditional carbine and really like it for that task. The combo of long pull and creapy first stage make me want to replace it. My Dad is recommending the Hiperfire as he knows the guys that designed them I guess, but I've got zero experience with them and I'm thinking about another JP or a Geissele match.... someone help me make up my mind.

I have JP, Jard, and also do my own. I’ve felt a lot of other brands on my friends guns. I like a lot of them, but I recently installed a Timney CE at 1.5 lbs, and it is the absolute best trigger in an AR that I have ever felt. If you are looking for a long range Precision trigger in an AR, this trigger is for you. Try one, you won’t be sorry.

We're so fortunate to have so many excellent trigger choices these days. Twenty years ago, the choices were extremely limited, and the good ones were quite expensive. Even fifteen years ago, there weren't that many good options.

I've installed upwards of a thousand triggers in AR's. Krieger-Milazzo, JP, Knight's, McCormick, Timney, Geissele, Wilson, Elftmann, Trigger Tech, and LaRue. And they're all good - no, excellent - choices.

My personal favorites are the Geissele N/M set to 2.25 LB for precision work, the Geissele SD-3G for fast work, and the LaRue MBT for anything and everything.

Yep, if I had to pick just one trigger for everything, it would be the LaRue MBT. They break consistently with the lighter spring at 3.5 LB after a short first stage. The second stage breaks just beautifully, as well as or better than any trigger I've tried. The thing no one talks about regarding the LaRue trigger is the intelligent shape of the trigger bow. It's wide, flat, and the genetic fraternal twin to the triggers in my Accuracy Int'l rifles, plus very much like the ZEV drop in triggers I use in my Glocks. This makes it much easier for me to engage the trigger correctly.

Geiselle SSA-E for a 2 stage for my needs in a precision rifle.

Elftmann Match for a single stage; it's adjustable to 2.5 lb, very crisp, short reset & has a half cock notch for safety.

Rise RA-535 is also excellent for a single stage but it's not adjustable, so just a little heavy in a precision rifle, but it is exceptionally crisp & a very short reset.

Geiselle SSA-E for a 2 stage for my needs in a precision rifle.

Elftmann Match for a single stage; it's adjustable to 2.5 lb, very crisp, short reset & has a half cock notch for safety.

Rise RA-535 is also excellent for a single stage but it's not adjustable, so just a little heavy in a precision rifle, but it is exceptionally crisp & a very short reset.

^^ I have those triggers myself and also a 3lb & 3.5lb Velocity, A LaRue and a couple of BCM PNT’s with JP spring kits that make those as good as the rest except for PR with a good clean break and reset @ 4lb on a Timney scale.

Last edited:
Tried most of them.. Wilson Combat singlestage is my favorite. ZERO creep whatsoever, none. I am very anal about that.. Perfect break, instant and positive reset. My 8 year old feels the same as my 1 year old one. I order them at 3 lbs and have them in 3 WC ARs and the 2 stage in my WC9mm shorty.

I really like a lot of triggers. I have kept:

Hiperfire 24C (Love the shoe)
Geissele SSA-E (basically any 2 stage Geissele)
Triggertech TT-AR (like it a lot but keep coming back to Hiperfire and that shoe)
Larue MBT (best deal going for a normal build)

If I had unlimited funds I'd put Hiperfires on all of my rapid fire pieces and SSAEs on precision rigs. But the Larue is close enough for 1/2 the price on most.

I bought a Hiperfire Eclipse for my "long range" AR - replacing a SSA. I haven't had it out to the range yet, but wow! dry firing only so far and this thing is amazing compared to a couple of Geisselles and JPs. I'm not disparaging either of those makes, they are my favorites, but for the purpose of a long range AR it is pretty great (assuming it is functional and reliable at the range/hunting/competition.)

Geissele hi speed national match is my favorite by far. Its tunable and if you spend some time on it, you can make it an amazing trigger.

Ar Gold is great but I personally dont like the weak reset.
Trigger tech is a great feeling trigger, but to heavy for me. I'm excited for them to release the AR diamond.

On a budget? The Rise armament $99 trigger is my favorite trigger under $200. A touch heavy but short and crisp.

I've played with just about everything and these are my favorites.

Reactions: Alarka
I put Geisseles in all of mine -- SSA or SuperT for carbines, SSA-E for anything with a low power optic, National Match for 20" REPRs with 15x optics. I like them.

I bought a Hiperfire Eclipse for my "long range" AR - replacing a SSA. I haven't had it out to the range yet, but wow! dry firing only so far and this thing is amazing compared to a couple of Geisselles and JPs. I'm not disparaging either of those makes, they are my favorites, but for the purpose of a long range AR it is pretty great (assuming it is functional and reliable at the range/hunting/competition.)

What I liked about the Hiperfire vs. competitors is that due to the "shocks" system, the lower the pull weight, the HARDER the hammer hits. My 24C hasn't had a single malfunction in 2500 rounds.

I put a Larue MBT in my SPR build and have been very pleased with it. It surprises everyone who shoots it as to how nice it is, especially for the price.

JP is the nicest I have used. The roller trigger is pretty sweet.

Have Geisselle in at least half a dozen AR's. Very nice duty type trigger. Not even close to the JP for break quality.

Last edited:
Geissele National Match has been the best trigger on the market for almost 15 years. Nothing compares to it, it IS the best trigger in whatever flavor you get (Service Rifle, DMR, Match).

Other acceptable trigger is no particular order:

KAC 2 Stage
SSA G2S
Larue MBT
Wilson TTU

For cheap the BCM PNT is the only one I would trust other than a mil spec trigger from a known quantity.

There is zero reason to try or buy anything else.

Reactions: Velocity Chad
As others have said, you basically can't go wrong with a Giessele trigger.

For a very good trigger at very good price, get a LaRue MBT.

Finally, although literally no one else has mentioned it, I've always liked the RRA triggers. I know some people have had issues with them, but I have about 3000 rounds on one and it still runs great. Before LaRue started dropping the price on the MBT, they were a decent, cheap alternative to the more expensive Geisseles. However, now that you can pick up an MBT for $87, I wouldn't buy another RRA.

Well damn, Primus says there's only 5 triggers worthy of being on the market. Someone better tell JP, Timney, Hiperfire, CMC etc. before they accidentally stay in business selling garbage triggers..

Last edited: