FBI Sniper Rifles

Skunk

Violating Rights
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2003
Rolling Green
I recently got some action screws on Ebay. You can search for extra long, or whatever. They were a couple of bucks...

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Minuteman
Online Training Access
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Ummm...aren't they just 1/4-28? It would seem you could order long ones and trim them to fit.

Waorani

Comfortably Numb
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Greenbow, AL
    Just dug out one of the Brownells sets - yep, 1/4x32. Shows what little I can remember these days.

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
    Staff member
    Commercial Supporter
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Depends on the year. Winchester had two sized action screws for the Model 70 IIRC...

Skunk

Violating Rights
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2003
    Rolling Green
    Skunk, what does the tag attached to the rifle say?
    "Turn In."

I'm guessing that when this rifle was still at a Field Office it was tagged to go back to Quantico the next time a weapons maintenance team came around. A team of gunsmiths travels around every couple years doing maintenance/repair/upgrades in the field. Cheaper/faster than sending thousands of weapons back to Quantico.

Wssickta

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 18, 2019
    Abingdon VA
    Started at page 1 this am, have never built a clone rifle. The information in this thread is incredible and I had a great time reading about It. Thank you @Skunk and @j-huskey as well as others for sharing!

Reactions: j-huskey

Random Guy

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 16, 2012
    That turned out really nice, great job and thanks for sharing all those build details.

Strykervet

DEEZ NUTZ DEPUTY DOG!
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    They had some variations of Remingtons built back in the 80’s and 90’s that can be seen on some vintage YouTube videos on the HRT that one can find. If that’s the era you and looking at...

Some were straight up M40A1 copies, and used Unertl 10x scopes, later versions had the same barreled action in a McM A2 stock. Given the proximity to the MTU/PWS at Quantico it’s probably reasonable they went to them for guidance in the early days of building their own rifles?

here are some screenshots from a dated FBI video on YouTube

View attachment 7346869View attachment 7346870View attachment 7346871
    Hmmmm... Wonder whose house that is in those "dated" pictures?